So 2011's over. What's next?
At the moment, I've fulfilled all of my GameCritics obligations and I'm just coasting for a couple of weeks. Although it feels weird to not have fifteen projects burning at the same time, it's nice to take a quick breather from the hectic pace—especially from all the madness that happens in the fourth quarter.
Personally, I'm not playing anything substantial at the moment; just a little of this, and a little of that. However, instead of starting up something big, it's usually around this time of year that I get the urge to go through my backlog and weed through the accumulated pile. I've got quite a bit of stuff stacked up, so I need to start deciding what I'm actually going to try to play, and what I'm never going to get around to. If nothing else, that "never" stack can stop collecting dust and be put to better use by being traded in for some credit towards a 3DS or a Vita…
Here's what's in the stack, not counting all of the XBL/PSN/WW downloads I haven't touched yet:
- A Boy and his Blob (shelved @ 30%)
- Alice in Wonderland
- Boom Blox (thinking about it makes my arm hurt…)
- Broken Sword
- Chocobo's Dungeon
- De Blob (didn't like #2)
- Endless Ocean 2
- Madworld (shelved @ 80%)
- Monster Lab
- No More Heroes 2
- Punch-Out (shelved @ final boss, IIRC)
- Red Steel 2
- Super Mario Galaxy 2
- Super Paper Mario
- Tatsunoko vs Capcom
- Army of Two 2
- Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (shelved @ 25%)
- Batman: Arkham City (shelved after 4-5 hours)
- Bayonetta (started/quit three times, never finished)
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (wife's 20hr save was killed by a glitch, scared me off)
- Child of Eden
- Dead Space 2 (shelved @ 50%)
- Earth Defense Force 2 (shelved @ 50%)
- Eternal Sonata
- Gears of War 3 (waiting for a 2nd copy to co-op with the wife)
- Halo Wars (shelved @ 50%)
- LA Noire
- Metro 2033
- Red Faction Armageddon (shelved @ 50%)
- Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper
- The First Templar (shelved @ 50%)
- Velvet Assassin
- Viva Pinata 2
- Resonance of Fate
- Tekken 6
- White Knight Chronicles (shelved after 4hrs)
- Yakuza 3
- Yakuza 4
- Bard's Tale
- Disgaea 2
- Jak & Daxter: Lost Frontier
- Final Fantasy XII (shelved @ 40hrs)
- Manhunt 2
- Okami (the wife took 65-ish hrs to finish, didn't want to commit that much time)
- Sakura Wars
- Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
- Spy Fiction
- Summoner 2
Sooooooooo…. I've definitely got a few ideas about which of these titles still hold interest for me and which don't, but I figured I would throw this list out to you, dear readers, and see if you have strong feelings about any of 'em, either positive or negative.
Are there some in this list I should absolutely get to? Are there some that I can toss aside without a second thought? If you've got any feedback either way, post a comment or hit me up on Twitter and let me know. The great purge hasn't begun, but the time is coming.
(Side note: I will weep tears of blood if/when we finally move to an e-only future and lose the ability to trade/sell games we don't want any more. Fizzical m3dia 4 lyfe, yo.)
Games talk aside, I'm a little ashamed to say that I did not meet my deadline for the edits that were due on my book this year.
I'm not trying to make excuses because I'm big believer in personal accountability, but with everything that was on my plate, it was just too easy to keep putting the book on the back burner and tell myself I'd get to it later. That's exactly what happened, and "later" was a while ago… hopefully the publisher I had lined up will still be interested, and if they are, I'll probably take this time between now and February to buckle down and get it done.
Otherwise, I've got a screenplay that I'll be shopping around and I'm considering starting a collection of short stories. The idea of starting and completing a tale in less than a year is starting to look more and more appealing these days… we'll see, though. I'm trying to be much more realistic this year in terms of time management, so I think I will have to scale my expectations back accordingly.