This week we challenge commonly held assumptions about criticism, writers, review scores, finishing games and much more. So much more, in fact, we had to split the episode in half. Plus, if you're a Borderlands fan, get ready to hate us. Our quick hit is less than flattering. Featuring Chi Kong Lui, Brad Gallaway, Mike Bracken, and Tim Spaeth.
For your reference, the eight myths we discuss are:
- Critics should be required to finish games before writing a review.
- The goal of a "proper" game review should be to inform the reader as to whether they should or should not buy a game.
- Those who write about games are not journalists, rather, should be considered "enthusiast press" or simply "games writer."
- There is no difference between a "review" and a "critique".
- The explosion of blogs, podcasts, and Twitter has rendered formal game reviews obsolete.
- Individual game critics and review sites are under constant, unrelenting pressure from publishers to change scores.
- Game scores are often purposefully tweaked to either generate controversy or avoid it.
- A reader should not need to be familiar with the author of a review in order to derive value from it.
Topic and Game References:
- Borderlands Review
- Red Faction: Guerrilla
- Diablo II
- God of War
- Muramasa: The Demon Blade Review
- Bionic Commando Review
X-Play's Guitar Hero: Smash Hits review explanation:
Please send feedback and mailbag questions to podcast (at) gamecritics (dot) com.
Through the years every aspect of Tim's life has been touched by gaming. He mastered typing thanks to Space Quest, honed his poker skills on The Sierra Network, and learned to hate after a particularly traumatic game of Tecmo Super Bowl.
Today, Tim lives in Chicago with his three kids and strives to find that perfect balance between family, career, and Warcraft. He enjoys broadcasting, martial arts, rock and roll, growing and shaving his beard, singing show tunes to the homeless, and losing at Mario Kart to his lovely, talented, and amazing girlfriend.
In late 2008, Tim became the producer and host of the GameCritics.com Podcast, and he's thrilled to be bringing GameCritics' unique editorial voice to a brand new medium.
Latest posts by Tim Spaeth (see all)
- GameCritics.com Podcast Episode 153: E3 Spectacular - June 23, 2016
- GameCritics.com Podcast Episode 151: Sequels and a New Beginning - June 5, 2016
- GameCritics.com Podcast Episode 149: The Division and Batman v Superman - April 17, 2016