About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 07-20-2008, 03:40 AM   #1396
Doug Troy
Surly McDouchebag

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

My rental period expired after I beat chapter 10, and the damn Blockbuster near me only got two copies.

But I got a free game rental coupon, and it can't be checked out forever...
"I actually talked to an Iraqi cabdriver last year in Salt Lake City about the war. He said it was like the US came and weeded his garden, but pulled out most of the vegetables in the process. Needless to say, he had mixed feelings. So I stiffed him on the tip. USA! USA! USA!"
Doug Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #1397
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Just finished Elefunk, downloaded onto my PS3.

For $5 it was a good value... pretty straightforward, but still fun. some of the physics are complete BS, though.... one of the levels in particular was driving me up a friggin' wall until i figured it out, and half my frustration was inconsistent (and illogical) physics.

still, for $5 i'm not complaining too much... it was a pretty solid 3-hour diversion for the most part. a good little addition to the PS3 DL library, for sure.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:46 PM   #1398
Epic Juicebox
Noisy?

Rep Power: 14 Epic Juicebox is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Epic Juicebox

I've been bad about finishing stuff lately, but I think I might be back on my game after this week's quick and painless conquest of Maverick Hunter X for the PSP. Mega Man X was always one of my favorites in the series, and Capcom's PSP refresh was incredibly faithful... without feeling like the same old game. The mechanics behind this classic run and gun have aged rather well over the years, and the bonus content - which includes a sizeable animated 'movie' that builds on the game's storyline - is top quality! I definitely recommend this one to anyone who's even so much as thought about picking it up (for under $15, you can't go wrong)!

EDIT: I nearly forgot! I also finished Touch Detective 2 1/2 on the DS recently. It was a nice bite size point and click that satisfied my craving for quirky artwork, stylish music, and senseless dialogue just fine. I'm hoping for more from the folks behind this series. I really dig their style! A little on the easy side, but nonetheless enjoyable!

- EJ

Now Playing: Persona (PSP) - Scribblenauts (DS) - Assassin's Creed II (X360)

Check out my entire collection at IGN!

Last edited by Epic Juicebox; 07-26-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Epic Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:00 AM   #1399
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Finished Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard on DS today... i've been blathering about it for a month but now the review's done, in the can, and should be up soon.

That is one hell of a lengthy and challenging RPG, but not an unfair one. nutshell: thumbs way up.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #1400
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Finished Thief Gold last night. I really admire the way it handled the supernatural element, given how often games shoehorn it in and it ends up ruining the experience. I'd also like to compliment it for being old while not seeming so, aside from graphics. I'm kind of on an old game kick right now, and it seems there are always niggling flaws in every classic game that I'm forced to give a pass just because of it's age. I can't remember anything like that with Thief.

Another thing it did well was construct a world that was believable and interesting with a minimum of dialog or cutscenes.

The gameplay reminded me a lot of MGS3, where the goals were set and the path was fairly linear, but how you dealt with a room or situation had a ton of options.

I will say that the game overstayed it's welcome a bit. Towards the end I was just running up behind everybody in sight and killing them, then dashing to the next mission objective.

Last edited by Boy; 07-30-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:23 PM   #1401
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Finished Folklore on PS3 last night.

I'll quasi-review it in the upcoming basement, but it was both better and worse than i expected... better in terms of gameplay, worse in terms of story.

there's a ton of DL add-ons to the game, and i'm going through those right now. the funny thing is that some of them are a lot better than the actual main-game stuff in the retail release.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:01 PM   #1402
Matthew Weise
New Poster

Rep Power: 0 Matthew Weise is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Matthew Weise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy View Post
I will say that the game overstayed it's welcome a bit. Towards the end I was just running up behind everybody in sight and killing them, then dashing to the next mission objective.
Thief Gold is, in my opinion, inferior to the original version of the game: Thief - The Dark Project. Thief Gold added four extra levels that really add nothing to the game or the story. The Dark Project is far more lean and mean than Gold. Its length feels just right.

And as for Thief not seeming dated aside from graphics, I agree. Thief was a decade ahead of other stealth games. It was years until other games incorporated light into stealth mechanics, and I still don't think any stealth game today comes close to Thief's use of sound.

-Matt
Matthew Weise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:16 PM   #1403
Chaos Wielder
16-bit Poster

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance Two

Addictive as hell.
Story is garbage, even for tactics standards. I couldn't even follow it most of the time; it was awful.

Also, more importantly, the law system has been redone from the first so it's manageable. Evey mission has a set law rather than random--no more crap laws hindering the game.

Worth playing if you're a sucker for the series and don't mind devoting time(like 30 hours). That said, there's really nothing new here. Sad, really, in that sense: one can only be down on it because of so many wasted chances.

Paint Roller, you are the meanest art student I have ever met.
Chaos Wielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:32 PM   #1404
idiotic
128-bit Poster

Ninja Gaiden 2

Worst.Game.Ever.
idiotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:58 PM   #1405
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotic View Post
Ninja Gaiden 2

Worst.Game.Ever.
Care to expound on that?

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Gene Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:00 AM   #1406
idiotic
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Park View Post
Care to expound on that?
I'm just taking the piss - in case you hadn't noticed, it's a matter of public record how much I enjoyed this stupid game.

Not going to download the Mission Mode though - although it's supposed to be great fun, even the patches are full of glitches.
idiotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:16 PM   #1407
gamevet

I've finally finished GTA IV, after 92 hours of achievement whoring goodness.

The last mission felt like going through an American Gladiators finale' and the game cheated along the way! I lost count of how many times the grenade launcher hit my boat, as I was getting in. What a poor gameplay decision and I nearly lost my cool, even to the point of disc breaking thoughts going through my head. I loved everything else, but that last mission was almost bs.

Last edited by gamevet; 08-03-2008 at 06:19 PM.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:45 PM   #1408
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Finished the original Diablo. I figured I'd check out the older installments once Diablo: Rainbow Edition was announced. I've beaten the game twice before as the warrior and the rogue, so I thought I'd give it ago as the sorcerer this time. Lighting a helpless Diablo up with a spell that cost 3 mana to cast was probably the highlight of of my various playthroughs.

I've been dabbling with Diablo 2 as well lately, and I'm really struck by how fucking ugly it is. I'm not talking about the resolution either. It just seems to have none of the really harmonious design that went into the original game. There's no questioning in that it's a "better" game, but it's also a more obvious, unsightly and artificial one, if that makes sense. Seeing this game myself has made D3's stylistic departure a lot less offensive.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:01 PM   #1409
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Finished MGS4 two days ago. I thought it was great even with all of its absurdities.

I also played through Gears of War for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It was a fun shooter. I still hate the character designs and the 'tude. The environments were great though.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:44 AM   #1410
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Finished Braid a few days ago... a few issues, but pretty cool stuff. and yes, worth $15.

Finished Metal Slug (#1) yesterday... god DAMN, the MS games have some of the most detailed, loving animation of all time... even today, i'm absolutely impressed with the amount of work that went into it.

Edit: Just finished Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer on DS a few minutes ago, thanks to a much-needed rescue from Hargrada. Shiren is ten kinds of awesome, a fact even more noteworthy since it's a port of an old SNES game... even still, it's easily one of my top ten for 2008.

*total* thumbs UP.

Last edited by Brad Gallaway; 08-14-2008 at 01:30 AM.
Brad Gallaway is offline   Reply With Quote