About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 05-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #1351
gamevet

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Bioshock was the first game I'd bought for the 360 and it's still waiting to be finished. The upcoming lineup of games for the PS3 and 360 will most likely negate that happening.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:13 PM   #1352
gamevet

I'd decided to stop play GTAIV for a while and dusted off the good old PS3.

I've finally finished playing Resistance:FOM, after playing a couple of hours today. The last 3 levels are pretty intense, and about as fun as any level I've played in an FPS. It looks like I might have to give the game another run-through (When, I don't know?), because the game says that new weapons are available for the next campaign. I'd like to take this game online first though.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:31 PM   #1353
Harry Caul
New Poster

Prey.

Not bad, but... Meh.

I'm not the sharpest knife out there, nor am I all that much of a hardcore gamer, yet I didn't have any problems with the puzzles and since you can't ever die in the game, the shooting part wasn't a problem either. If the game had had the most exciting visual design or plot ever, that would've helped... But all it had was the same old organic machine stuff we've seen many times since Giger and Scott made it famous back in 79 and the plot may be even older (2001).

I sound very negative, but it's not a terrible game, I don't regret playing it, it's just...

Meh.
Harry Caul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:47 PM   #1354
Kin Korn Karn

Completed the main story of GTAIV. The ending is a bit of a letdown, but I still enjoyed the game nonetheless.

I tried going back to hit a few achievements I missed, and realized I missed them the first time because they are a pain or too tedious. I may be done with this one.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:03 PM   #1355
Epic Juicebox
Noisy?

Rep Power: 13 Epic Juicebox is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Epic Juicebox

I don't know if this even counts or not, but I finished Lost Winds on the Wii a couple nights ago. Definitely a neat little game, but it really felt like more of a teaser than anything. The puzzles were simple enough, but a time or two had me scratching my head. And the pacing - particularly with regard to the introduction of new skills - was just right!

I know I'm not alone in this sentiment, but I'd definitely like to see more out of the studio responsible for this one! On the Wii or otherwise!

- EJ

Now Playing: Persona (PSP) - Scribblenauts (DS) - Assassin's Creed II (X360)

Check out my entire collection at IGN!
Epic Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #1356
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Juicebox View Post
I don't know if this even counts or not, but I finished Lost Winds on the Wii a couple nights ago. Definitely a neat little game, but it really felt like more of a teaser than anything. The puzzles were simple enough, but a time or two had me scratching my head. And the pacing - particularly with regard to the introduction of new skills - was just right!

I know I'm not alone in this sentiment, but I'd definitely like to see more out of the studio responsible for this one! On the Wii or otherwise!

- EJ
They're working on a rather ambitious sandboxy type project called "The Outsider" for the next-gen systems. It'll probably be in direct competition with Splinter Cell: Conviction in trying to best mimic the 24/Bourne feel.

Keep in mind they haven't made a traditional action game in a while. So I'm anxious to see how this turns out.

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Gene Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:40 PM   #1357
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

Oh, I've beaten GTA4 four times now. I think I'm ready to move on with another game, particularly since I unlocked about 90 percent of the game, and am not at all interested in unlocking the final 10 percent.

I'm switching modes now to the Wii, and turning my attention to small bouts of LostWinds and Okami. I'm ready to give Okami the full attention it supposedly deserves, and my experience so far with it has been relaxing. It's nice to be able to delve back into a fantasy adventure setting.

It actually kinda makes me want to replay Zelda: Twilight Princess, so I ended up ordering the GCN version off of Amazon for only $25. I gave my Wii version to my sister, and I would prefer to play the game with a spinnable camera and a Gameshark just for the sake of running around with a lantern all the time.

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Gene Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #1358
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Just polished off Saints Row on 360.

As someone who loved San Andreas (obviously) I was absolutely satisfied with what SR brought to the table since...

SR = SA - Huge Landscape.

SR really understands what made SA such a fun game to play, and does a great job of recreating a similar (albeit scaled-down) experience.

I'm going to cover it for the next Basement so I'll shut up now, but i definitely got my $16 worth for the used copy, and then some.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:38 PM   #1359
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

After playing Persona 3 for 90 hours, I've finally beaten it.

So I was ready to load the New Game data on Persona 3 FES's The Journey, and what do I find?

That I'm back to level 2 all over again. And with weaksauce weapons and armors.

What the hell is up with that?! Why can't they just let me stay a level 90+ monster and with powerful personas like The Messiah and Lucifer?

Argh.

So I'm gonna play The Answer instead.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:37 AM   #1360
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Yeah, just skip replaying the Journey... IMO, Persona 3 isn't really "done" until you finish The Answer.

...And if you still need some more P3 after that, then go back to the Journey again. ; )

(BTW, i haven't seen it myself, but i heard that all of your Personae are still in the compendium when you re-start the Journey. If you had enough money carry over, you could just buy the good ones, right?)
Old 06-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #1361
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gallaway View Post
Yeah, just skip replaying the Journey... IMO, Persona 3 isn't really "done" until you finish The Answer.

...And if you still need some more P3 after that, then go back to the Journey again. ; )

(BTW, i haven't seen it myself, but i heard that all of your Personae are still in the compendium when you re-start the Journey. If you had enough money carry over, you could just buy the good ones, right?)
Unfortunately, only the compendium gets carried over. The money doesn't.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:40 AM   #1362
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Just finished Clive Barker's Jericho tonight, on 360.

I liked it, but to be brutally honest, it's a much better idea than it is a game.

Switching back and forth between six teammates (you're an incorporeal spirit) is a great idea. I've always been in love with this switching concept, but no game has really pulled it off to my satisfaction.

Geist tried, and so did Brute Force... Jericho does better than either, but a lot of the other design aspects are lacking and it holds the game back.

I may cover it later, but i'd say it's worth $15 as a thrill-ride with a good gimmick. the aesthetics are pretty cool too, if you're into the Barker thing.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:49 AM   #1363
gamevet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gallaway View Post

Switching back and forth between six teammates (you're an incorporeal spirit) is a great idea. I've always been in love with this switching concept, but no game has really pulled it off to my satisfaction.

Geist tried, and so did Brute Force... Jericho does better than either, but a lot of the other design aspects are lacking and it holds the game back.
Resident Evil 0 also featured switchable characters, that would open up areas for the other character.

The demo of Jericho didn't impress me. I don't believe I'd ever feel compelled to give it a try.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #1364
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Yeah, I actually played and reviewed RE0, I just blocked it out of my mind. : )

I also tried the Jericho demo and hated it, but it's one of those wonky demos from the middle of the game. I mean, it's not an awesome game any way you look at it, but it's better than the demo lets on.

I will never understand how devs pick such crap segments for demos.

Last edited by Brad Gallaway; 06-06-2008 at 01:04 AM.
Brad Gallaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #1365
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Agreed Brad. This is kinda OT, but the demo discussion reminds me of the Blue Dragon demo, which was a major storyline dungeon from approximately 3/4ths into the game. Aside from being completely out of context and huge, when my brother did get to that part of the game, his only thought was "not this again".

I don't know what's so hard about using an early portion of a game for a demo, or hell, using a modified segment specifically for a demo (Sly Cooper did it, though I can't remember any others).
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote