About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 04-21-2008, 09:48 PM   #1336
Kin Korn Karn

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Have fun with Lost Odyssey, Epic. It's a cool game. If you are going for the full 1000 gamer points you best use a good walkthrough. There are alot of people out there who have put WAY too much time in to getting the last 20 points. Not me!

Done with Mass Effect on hard, that counts as a "beat it", right? Worth the gamer pic? No. Still fun nonetheless. Maybe I'll try the next difficulty level when the more DLC comes out.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:39 AM   #1337
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

I beat Jumping Flash! up, down, back, front, sideways both directions and upside-down. I'd really really really really love to see a current gen entry in the series. I mean, they did revive Warhawk.

Last edited by Boy; 04-24-2008 at 01:41 AM.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:50 AM   #1338
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

1000% agree.. i *love* the JF games. This is a perfect series to reinvent, especially with the ability to use its cuteness to draw in more than just hardcore players.

(and i haven't finished anything lately.. still working on Persona 3)
Old 04-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #1339
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Bad Mojo on the PC. A great game, but it really shines when there are no cutscenes playing and you can pretend there isn't a plot.

It's not that the plot was especially bad (though it wasn't good), but that the plot was kind of tongue-in-cheek silly, while the bulk of the gameplay had an almost Silent Hill feel. There was a big disconnect there.

One observation I made while playing was that the game so naturally exhibited the Silent Hill atmosphere (and before SH even existed) that if SH5 were in the hands of this western developer (who probably doesn't even exist anymore) rather than The Collective, I wouldn't have any concerns about the game at all.

I especially liked how easy the game was. Games in the adventure genre shoot themselves in the foot by catering (or having catered to, given that they sort of don't exist anymore) to an idea that they have to be really hard to be enjoyable or something, and then ending up as obtuse and illogical. Bad Mojo was straightforward, highly linear and brief.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #1340
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Wow, good call... Bad Mojo's been on my "must play" list for *years*, but i couldn't find a version that i could get to run. Where'd you DL yours? if i could get the damn thing to work, i'd be all over it.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:05 AM   #1341
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Just polished off Persona 3 a few minutes ago... something like 68 hours playtime. I can hardly believe a game exists anymore that can stay fresh and engaging for so long, but P3 did it.

It's not perfect, but damn... it's pretty good. So good in fact, I'm going to start up 'The Answer' in P3's FES re-release pretty soon.

total thumbs up!
Old 05-02-2008, 07:59 PM   #1342
DooMoore
New Poster

just finished COD 4 on veteren Awesome!! ARMY OF TWO with my 12yr old boy Vegas 2 was good Dark Sector was also pretty good but anyway those are the latest just waiting for something new I guees it's back to the Halo trilogy Awesome!!!
DooMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:09 PM   #1343
DooMoore
New Poster

How could i forget 250 hours of oblivion , orange box Forza 2 ,mass affect ,assasins creed , bioshock Think I play to MUch????
DooMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #1344
Epic Juicebox
Noisy?

Rep Power: 13 Epic Juicebox is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Epic Juicebox

I kinda came to a realization last night as I chugged right through to the end of FFVII: Crisis Core on the PSP. That realization is that I'm really no longer a completionist! I mean, I usually start a game off with good intentions - I check FAQ's before I start to make sure there aren't any missables, and I scour nearly every screen down to the smallest detail to make sure I get everything - then something happens. It's like I just snap! After I finished clearing the Nibelheim chapter in this particular instance, I just hit the gas and didn't look back. Stuck to the main road and said, "To hell with it, I'm ready!" And you know what? I'm ok with that!

Having said that, I feel my experience with this game - though I completed the main storyline - is quite limited. I only completed about 40% of the missions. I never once played around with Materia Fusion (except the one spot in the story where you have to). And I never really felt the need to max out my stats or level up my skills! I think what it ultimately boils down to with this one is that I really only played it for the story - which, apart from the reimagining of the events at Nibelheim, was mostly forgettable! *grin*

Looking back, I'm glad this game was relatively short. I clocked in less than 20 hours to the finish line, and have a generally positive feeling toward what I spent that time doing. And I'll be more inclined to revisit the game for the 'New Game +' feauture knowing that it could be a pretty carefree, over and done experience!

If you're on the fence about this one, just ask yourself how much a fan you are of the FFVII universe. If you're not all that into it, you probably won't get much out of Crisis Core. Just so you know!

- EJ

Now Playing: Persona (PSP) - Scribblenauts (DS) - Assassin's Creed II (X360)

Check out my entire collection at IGN!
Epic Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #1345
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Interesting post, EJ...

Personally, I've never been a completionist, but i have been a 'finisher'... meaning that although i may not get or do 100% of the stuff in a game, I'll guaranteed see credits.

however, i've even broken that habit in recent years. there are just too many games out there (good ones, even) and too many bad developer habits to put up with to commit to finishing every game i start.

i still finish the vast majority of them, just about all, but for those few that piss me off the wrong way, i don't lose any sleep over shelving them or trading them away.

funny that you posted this about Crisis Core... my review should be up soon and based on what you said in your post, i'll be curious to see what you think.

oh, and keeping in on-topic... uh...

i'm 18 hours into The Answer in Persona 3: FES.

sorry, that's all i got.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #1346
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Just finished The Answer an hour or so ago.

All told it took me about 25 hours to get through, so that combined with m original run-through of P3 totals pretty damn close to *100* hours. i can't remember the last time i ever spent that many raw hours on one game.

Was it worth it?

...I'd have to say yes. yes, it really was. the ending of The Answer was pretty juicy stuff, and did enhance my opinion of P3 in total. i would have preferred there were difficulty settings (some of the bosses were CHEAP) but overall I'm really glad i did it.

i plan on covering the rest of my thoughts on the P3 second op, so look for that soon.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #1347
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Finished God of War: Chains of Olympus on PSP today... hell of a game, total top-notch effort all the way. See the thread on it for more details.

Recommended!
Old 05-18-2008, 01:24 AM   #1348
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Dude, hasn't anybody finished anything since the last time i posted here? come on, guys...

anyway.

So the wife and I just finished Army of Two today, playing the entire thing co-op from start to finish, just as the developers intended.

My impression? I’m severely underwhelmed.

In a nutshell, the game was incredibly straightforward and just flat-out dull in most areas.

Level design was unmemorable, and most of the action was the same sort of ‘hordes of enemies materialize from out of nowhere’ stuff that stopped being interesting years ago.

Even worse, there were a ridiculous number of bulletproof gun turrets and bulletproof soldiers, both requiring one player to distract them while the other sneaks up from behind to deliver damage. Not only did this kind of stuff reek of ‘videogamey-ness’, it was just totally uninspired and repeated far too often.

The story and characters were a joke, too… I seriously couldn’t remember who was who and what was going on thanks to the extremely poor choice of delivering most storytelling and information through audio chatter in the middle of heated firefights when the player is completely occupied doing something else.

By the time we finished the game, I couldn’t even remember what my own character’s name was… the whole thing felt very generic and phoned-in.

There were tons of other little problems like certain areas of the game glitching up and requiring a restart, or how the characters have no believable sense of maneuverability in the environment… it’s another game where you can only climb up things that the developers want you to climb up, and you’re not allowed to hop down a three-foot ledge unless it’s the right three-foot ledge.

The best thing about Army of Two was that the characters looked like the Jason twins from Friday the 13th, and being able to play co-op is always a plus in my book… besides those two things, there’s really nothing exceptional or interesting about the game, honestly. I expected a lot more from a title getting such a big push from EA, and any future sequel will have to bring a hell of a lot more to the table than this one did.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:39 AM   #1349
gamevet

I finally finished Culdcept Saga, after countless lost battles and over 50 hours of playtime.

The hardest part of this game was figuring out how the spell effects worked, and when your cards no longer had enchantment effects.

I plan on going back through the levels, and opening up more of those achievements. Playing the game straight up, will only net you about 120 achievement points.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:09 AM   #1350
sleepy
GTACKMA

So Bioshock was a fun romp. At its best it reminded me of Fallout, like when stealing the idea of using Ink Spots songs ironically. The character design and animations are just great, but the mechanics for actually fighting those enemies didn't do it for me. The Call of Duty games are still kings of the single-player hill as far as I'm concerned. The action isn't really hectic enough to scrath a run-and-gun itch, but the level design doesn't make it fun to try and play the game as a stealth or tactical shooter. Maybe the biggest disappointment for me was fighting the Big Daddies; I was hoping fighting them would be this desperate struggle to bring them down before they could reach you and crush you, but they are super nimble and use long range weapons and there just isn't enough room in those corridors to make that kind of mini-boss battle fun. I thought the funnest (gameplay) parts of the game were the final boss battle, easy as it was (because you actually had room to maneuver!), and the rare moments of holy-shit-get-away-from-me-you-psycho intensity that reminded me of Condemned.

Another part of the experience I wasn't so crazy about was the usual collecting and loot searching nonsense. It'd have been sweet if you could actually build your own inventions from the scrap you find lying around, but I appreciate that this would be super hard to implement. But couldn't they at least have designed the loot system so that you automatically pick up items by walking over corpses? Maybe they thought all the searching would make the game world more immersive, but to me it was just tedious. You want to make the game world more immersive, emulate games like Penumbra Overture.

But whatever, fun game. Definitely a solid 8/10.

Last edited by sleepy; 05-19-2008 at 01:25 AM.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote