About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 10-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #1246
Kin Korn Karn

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Finished Metroid Prime 3. I enjoyed it, but having to unlock bonus content by forcing the swapping of codes is a bit lame. The gameplay was fun, and it is a gorgeous game. A tad easy (puzzles) and I did hardly any head-scratching. I'm a bit indifferent about the "cast" and all of the additional characters. To me, Metroid has always been about solitude in a vast maze. Further, the experience was dumbed down a bit by the revelation of all the items if you happened to visit a certain room later in the game. Still, fun nonetheless.

Next: Blue Dragon
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:21 PM   #1247
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Finished Brave Story: New Traveler PSP and Dead Head Fred on PSP... one review is up, the other will be up soon. Before that, i finished the main storyline quest in Oblivion, and before that, i finished Splinter Cell: Double Agent... been tied up with other things so i haven't been whipping through things like i usually do, but i'm still tryin'. ; )
Old 10-11-2007, 03:21 AM   #1248
technomancy
Registered LUser

Rep Power: 19 technomancy is an unknown quantity at this point

Halo 3, clearly, on Normal. I just wanted to get that out of the way so that I can get more into the multiplayer, which is good. The single player? Meh. Weird pacing, lousy storytelling. Master Chief is one of the most boring gaming protagonists ever.

Also finished Portal, including all the advanced puzzles. In the few hours it took me to beat that I saw more good writing than I did in the days playing Halo (but the matchmaking in that is still very, very good and makes TF2 seem archaic by comparison).
Old 10-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #1249
lemming
lemming

Send a message via MSN to lemming

ive just beaten resident evil 4 and apart from the corny lines and ashleys squeaky voice i quite enjoyed it , though i do think he shud have agreed to doing some overtime lol.
i also completed harvest moon awl for gamecube and god did it take a long time.
i am completely stuck on three of my final fantasy games(8,10,12) despite having the guide book for two of them, how frustrating.
games completed this year:
ico
primal
haunting ground
shadow of the colossus
tomb raider legend
zelda twilight princess
the godfather

i guess i will just go and complete the easiest game in the world...ICO...yet again...
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:46 AM   #1250
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2 is the kind of game that can be finished 2 hours after you've bought the game.

What a bummer too. It isn't that much different from O!T!O 1, and for some reasons the skits on the sequel isn't anywhere as original. The songs, however, didn't fail to be more irritating. There are many raps that have good beats, but awful rapping. The flow is off, and I couldn't understand the rhyming anyway.

The most disappointing aspect is that O!T!O 2 is looking like it's going to be another Dance Dance Revolution: a series with too many sequels/spinoffs that don't deviate (in other words, innovate) much from the original game, but only offer different songs, which aren't all that good.

Then again, O!T!O isn't a bad game, so part 2 benefits from not totally sucking since it stayed so close to the original.

Still, I wish the songs, and the skits, could be a little more exciting.
shun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:47 PM   #1251
Nossato
Keeper of the JRPG Cliche

Send a message via AIM to Nossato Send a message via Yahoo to Nossato

Just beat Persona 3 with a mere 112 hours on the game clock If I'm not mistaken that is the longest RPG I've played to date. I can't rave enough about this game. Great story, great characters, nice challenge. You do break the game once you get Lucifer and Satan though since they have an unblockable combo attack that does max damage.

I hope the Persona 3: FES side story comes to North America, I didn't want the game to end.
Nossato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:16 PM   #1252
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

112 hours? and you call yourself a gamer? ; )

actually, i don't think i've ever spent that long on a single game in my life, except maybe a summer's worth of Tekken 2 or SF2 with friends in my neighborhood. certainly never a singleplayer game. wowzers.

keeping this on-track... just finished Killzone: Liberation on PSP and it was suprisingly awesome. review's in the can, should be up soon.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:29 PM   #1253
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Well I beat F-Zero X. Or at least unlocked everything and saw the credits roll. It's disappointing that several of my favorite racers from GX were tucked away in the last row of unlockable cars, and then when I finally got access to them, they sucked. Oh well.

Also beat Sonic 3 & Knuckles today. I always feel cheated by the endings of sonic games. In order to get a satisfactory ending, it feels like you have to get all the chaos emeralds and in S3&K there are two sets of them. Outside of Sonic 1, I never bother with the emeralds. In the second game the bonus stages were frustrating and in 3 and Knuckles they just bore me.

The game had some pretty sweet music though.

Last edited by Boy; 10-27-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:28 PM   #1254
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Finally finished Deus Ex on the PS2 last night. I've started and quit the game two or three times previously, but I was determined to see it through.

After finally putting it through its paces and getting credits to roll, I have to say that it's probably the best four dollars I've ever spent on a game.

Although the graphics look extremely crude now and the frame rate is terrible during battles with more than two or three opponents, it was still a great experience and holds up well (intellectually, anyway) compared to modern day titles.

Anybody who has hasn't played it yet, I would definitely recommend it, especially since you can get a used copy for less than five dollars. I don't think it starts very well and the beginning sections of the game can be a turnoff, but it definitely gets better.

My only real criticisms of the game are:

> finding so many lockpicks, multitoools, guns and ammo packs in crates scattered throughout every level was pretty ridiculous. I mean, I understand why they did it for reasons of playability, but the critic in me thinks that there must have been another way to accomplish the same goal without falling into such an unbelievable cliché.

> The adventure was way too long for its own good. I was actually shocked to see how the game kept going on and on, and from a dramatic viewpoint, I think the story would have been less confusing, tighter, and more exciting if they had lopped at least a third of it off, if not half. Lots of locations felt like they were superfluous and could have been skipped in the name of narrative integrity. Seriously, by the end of the game, I had a really hard time remembering everything that had happened to get me where I was.

Overall though, I do think that the game is quite worthy of the accolades that were heaped upon it in the past and give it a resounding thumbs up.

(Incidentally, is one case where i finished a sequel before the original. i know that Deus Ex: Invisible War wasn't very well received, but i'd say that it was just as good, if not better, than the first game in many aspects. at the very least, it was well worth playing.)

Last edited by Brad Gallaway; 10-27-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Brad Gallaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:09 AM   #1255
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I also started Deus Ex several times, only to set it aside later. I still haven't actually beaten it, even though I've been listing it as one of my favorite games for the past few years. It seems good enough to start from the beginning each time.

Oh, and I beat Portal. Best game I've played in a long time.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:42 AM   #1256
Dubkiller
Pro-Replicant

Just one hundred percented everything in Syphon Filter Dark Mirror in mission mode. Good game. You unlock some cool weapons, but by the time you get them, you're pretty much done.
Dubkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:00 AM   #1257
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

If you liked Dark Mirror, you'll love Logan's Shadow... more of the same, but just as good. i'm almost through it now and it's been a fun, fun ride.

on topic: just finished Coded Arms: Contagion and i'm really disappointed that this franchise isn't going anywhere except further down the crapper. the first game sucked but it had potential.. Contagion just sucks.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:54 PM   #1258
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

what, nobody's beat a game since i posted last time...? it's bad etiquette to post following your own post. le sigh...

anyway, finished up Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow on PSP. the Sony Bend studio are geniuses, IMO... they really know how to work that hardware and their game design is impeccable. total thumbs up.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #1259
Nossato
Keeper of the JRPG Cliche

Send a message via AIM to Nossato Send a message via Yahoo to Nossato

Just beat Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria.

45 hours and I'm not sure I liked it

Visually it's a stunner, but the story really does fall to pieces at the end. Lezard was still pretty awesome though.
Nossato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:54 PM   #1260
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Finished M.A.C.H. on the PSP... it looks hella generic, but it was a great game. nothing high-concept or intellectualy challenging, but well-done. review's in the can... look for the next Portable Project coming soon.