About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 05-22-2007, 12:34 AM   #1216
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

I just beat Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin for the DS.

You know, I can't really seem to get tired of these Metroidvania games. If only they had a more enticing story. However, I thought this was a really fun game, even though Charlotte kinda becomes useless about halfway through the game. It was one of the first Castlevania games I felt compelled to do extraneous searching. Eric's quests were a fun little diversion that took up most of the game.

I don't mind that the DS's special abilities pretty much went unused. I'm really excited now for the Castlevania PSP.
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:54 AM   #1217
Epic Juicebox
Noisy?

Rep Power: 14 Epic Juicebox is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Epic Juicebox

Quote:
...even though Charlotte kinda becomes useless about halfway through the game.
I can vouch for that. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I actually used Charlotte for anything other than solving certain puzzles! In fact, had I not resorted to GameFAQs for a quick reference, I might never have thought to bring her out during the final battle with uber-Dracula (which you kinda have to do if you wanna win)!

Good game, though. I might be picking it up again soon to try my hand at the Nest of Evil!

- EJ

Now Playing: Persona (PSP) - Scribblenauts (DS) - Assassin's Creed II (X360)

Check out my entire collection at IGN!
Epic Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:36 PM   #1218
Epic Juicebox
Noisy?

Has it really been over a month since anyone beat anything? Or did this thread just get pushed so far down in the queue that everyone forgot about it?

Last night, I finished Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales for the DS. I recommend this one for anyone looking for a game that makes great use of the DS's touch screen and mic features. Believe it or not, underneath the ridiculously cute, picture book veneer lies a truly engaging set of minigames and FF throwback fables [read: Mother Goose in Midgar], as well as a card collecting / battling subsystem that's really quite deep (but not needlessly so; easy to learn, hard to master)! I haven't really taken it online yet, but the prospect of being able to pick up and duel at a moments' notice with anyone in the world is nice. Now, if only I could manage to conquer some of the confoundingly difficult minigames and unlock more cards! Then I'd be in business!

Also, I finished the GBA remake of Final Fantasy VI. I really enjoyed revisiting this one - quite possibly my favorite of the 12 numbered sequels - but for all the nostalgic glory, the game just had too many faults to make it a replacement for the original (occasional 'sprite skipping' and mediocre to poor sound quality, etc.). The new translation is excellent, though. And the bonus content unlockable near the end of the game is fantastic (a whole new, and rather difficult dungeon opens up after you defeat the 9 dragons)! Overall: satisfying!

Anyway, I'm all FF'd out now, so I'm gonna get back into Odin Sphere and see if I can catch up to Gene (yeah right)! Wish me luck!

- EJ

Old 07-01-2007, 05:48 AM   #1219
sleepy
GTACKMA

Ok, I've got a couple. I've been on an original-Xbox rampage recently, scouring the used bins at Gamestop for last-minute deals before they ship all those games off to the orphanarium. Picked up Breakdown and played through it on Easy (does that count as beating it? not really IMO, but whatever, I'd heard it was irritatingly hard). I don't even know what to say about this game. On the one hand it has some of the worst level design I have seen since I last opened one of my Hammer projects. I felt like I was playing Corridor Runner X for the first half of the game, and the alien levels were just as bad for the most part. On top of that, most of the actual gameplay is terrible -- the ranged combat is dull and the melee combat is aggravating. On the other hand, the game does have some very immersive moments (thanks to the much-hyped ultra-first-person perspective) and a couple memorable setpieces and story twists. I think there's a good 3-4 hour game in there, and I wish the designers or producers or whoever hadn't freaked out about the length and decided to pad it so shamelessly. As it stands I just can't recommend it - three quarters of the game is filler and it can be frustratingly difficult even on the Easy setting.

Next I played through Advent Rising. The horror stories about bugs and framerates are true, I'm afraid, but I enjoyed the game nonetheless. The setting by Orson Scott Card (there's even an ansible just so you don't forget that the story is by Orson Scott Card) is promising, and the story* on the galactic-conflict scale is involving. Unfortunately, the storytellers fail completely when it comes to creating believable and compelling romance. Since this game wants to be a space opera, that's something Glyphx will really need to work on if they ever get to make a sequel (speaking of cliffhangers, the game ends on a big one). But even though the story and the music were the big draw for most people, I think the gameplay stands up pretty well on its own. The flick targeting system is actually quite intuitive IMO, and the action tends to be fast and furious, with more emphasis on making you feel powerful than asking you to be a clever tactician. There are lots of guns, each with a secondary fire mode, but they aren't the star of the show. That billing goes to the special powers that gradually awaken within you. These include telekinesis, force pu...err, surge, energy projectiles, and a sweet power called timeshift that lets you slam into your opponents at super-speed. The animations for these powers do a great job of conveying the sense that none of your enemies can hope to escape your righteous wrath. IOW they are totally badass, even more so than the Jedi powers in games like Academy or KOTOR.
It's a short game (6 hours?) and buggy as hell, but worth a play. A little slow at first but once you start getting powers you'll be having a good time.

Almost done with Project Gotham Racing...the first one. Man I love that game, and it's been a while. I'll consider it beaten when I have the F50 and all golds. just 25k more Kudos to the F50....

* by Orson Scott Card

Last edited by sleepy; 07-01-2007 at 05:51 AM.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:01 AM   #1220
sleepy
GTACKMA

Finally beat Half-Life 2. Only took me about two years....

If you haven't played it yet, you really owe it to yourself to check it out. The gameplay mechanics aren't all that - it's a pretty straightforward run-and-gun shooter - but the excellent scripting makes up for the simplicity of the action. The game is chock-full of tense and exciting sequences, and the art design, music, and voice acting are just as superior as the level design. And thanks to your gravity gun and the game's physics engine, you can make use of that beautiful environment in immersive ways that still feel fresh almost three years on.

Valve did an INCREDIBLE job optimizing this game to run on older computers, putting all other PC developers to shame. You don't even need hardware acceleration to run this game, how insane is that!! All it wants is DirectX 7 and 256MB of RAM. When I first started playing the game, I was running it on a laptop with 512MB of RAM and a 32MB integrated video card...and it ran fine at 1024x768. And it looked beautiful. So basically, you have no excuse not to give this game a shot, as it'll probably run on your grandpa's graphic calculator.

You do need to install Steam and boot that up whenever you want to play, but Steam is getting kinda neat actually. They have more and more games for sale at very reasonable prices and a lot of free demos, trailers, etc you can check out as well.

What's up with the thin and tinny sound effects, though? Weirdly not up to par with the rest of the game.

Last edited by sleepy; 07-02-2007 at 02:03 AM.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:32 PM   #1221
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Send a message via MSN to Adelleda

Black for the PS2

For all the hype for this game, it left me feeling very...meh.

For a game that touts the legend "go in all guns blazing" on the back of the box, it certainly didn't have me doing that. Rather then playing the great looking game I saw on the trailers I found myself playing some mediocre tactical shooter, without the tactical parts. I found myself sneaking around with a supressor on my gun taking headhots at the enemy rather than running in all guns blazing.

I thought that the game was highly unfair in its operation, with such a high number of enemies attacking you all at once, you lose health at an alarming rate. One guy with a shotgun can down you in three shots even though you have to unload a full rifle clip to down him. Well use the shotgun against him I hear you say. Herin lies the problem, you can only carry two weapons at a time. While it seems a great innovation and adds to realism at first, it quickly becomes very irksome. I find to complete the levels without dying multiple times you'd need to carry at least three weapons, a rifle, a shotgun, and a long range weapon. I found myself carrying a rifle and a long range weapon most of the game, and constantly getting my ass kicked by shotgunners.
Some of the levels i'd have liked to carry an automatic rifle for long range shooting, and a high fire rate uzi for clearing rooms indoors, which I would, then i'd find myself outside facing a guy who it out of range shooting at me with an RPG. Damn, why didn't I bring my sniper rifle, oh yeah, there is no use for it indoors.

The levels were far too long. Some levels taking over an hour to complete, i'd rather have the same levels split into two parts, or at the very least have an auto-save at each checkpoint in the level. Not being able to save for a full hour really wound me up.

The enemy were nigh on invincible, taking 9 shots to the head and not dying? No thanks. I found myself leaving behind the more powerful rifles in the game in favour of an Uzi, why? Because it meant that I could shoot off the ridiculus amount of shots needed to kill an enemy faster than they could respond. Not responding to wounds was also quite rubbish, when I shoot somone in the lef I want him to limp or fall over, when I hit him in the arm I want him to drop his gun, and when I shoot him from 2 feet away with a shotgun I want him to die. I thought that this had been a staple in most action games for a long time, apparently I thought wrong.

The "amazing physics" weren't really all that amazing, and the "amazing destructible environments" were no different from any other fps. Exploding cars, oil barrels, bullet holes in walls, ragdolling bad guys when hit with a nade, i've seen it all before, whats so amazing?

I could go on.

What I did like about this game was two things. The movie sequences were very well done, The actors did a great job as did the writers.
Secondly, I liked the control scheme. It was far better than most console FPS, and infinatly more confortable. Everything was easy to reach. I especially liked the ability to toss a grenade without having to equip it.

It is a good game don't get me wrong. I did enjoy playing it. Unfortunatly the dad points far outweigh the good points in my opinion. To me it seems that Black is one of those games that got so hyped up that i was dissapointed whenI eventually came to play it

Matt
Adelleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:54 PM   #1222
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Ditto on Black... i found it incredibly boring and mediocre.

Just finished Time Ace on the DS... also mediocre.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:48 AM   #1223
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

I just beat Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

It started slow, then picked up and got addicting, then slowed down. And I often found myself resorting to cheap cheap tactics in boss fights rather than outsmarting them or outgunning them like in previous Metal Gears. I tried playing multiplayer, but its too late for me to jump in... people are too good now and the controls hurt my hands.

Good story, though. Can't wait for MGS4 now.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:45 AM   #1224
cerpin_taxt
8-Bit Poster

Rep Power: 11 cerpin_taxt is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to cerpin_taxt

I just beat Transformers: Autobots on the DS.

Not all that long a game or that hard either. It was cool getting to play as all the Transformers though, and you're own unique Transformer. The selling point was the over 30 vehicles you could scan to use to transformer into. It was also cool just running around, transforming, and battling Decipticons.
cerpin_taxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:05 PM   #1225
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

I finished GrimGrimoire today. Half because I pretty much love the game, half in an effort to be done with it before Persona 3 hits (ironic that I find the game has been delayed shortly after finishing GG).

It's a pretty sweet little RTS that I wish had been a little longer. There are 25 bonus missions, but they have no storyline attached, and that was a big draw for me. I found story and characters totally charming, with about one or two exceptions. Recommended.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:20 AM   #1226
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

I also finished Transformers: Autobots on the DS a few days ago, I like it because I'm such a Transformers fan but it had some serious problems. A review for it will be a pretty soon in the upcoming Portable Project.

After that I finished Halo 2 for the first time. (I stopped playing it halfway through the first time because I got too bored...) with all due respect to Bungie, they really can't design good levels at all... besides that, the focus on clearing little combat micro-zones before moving on really kills a lot of the energy of the game, IMO. And what was up with that Audrey II in the basement of the Halo?

After that, I finished up Lost Planet on 360 and WOW... I was really impressed. That game hasn't seemed to receive very much love around these parts and elsewhere, but I friggin' loved it. Second opinion forthcoming.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:24 AM   #1227
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

MGS. The original. I raced through it in a couple days. After playing I couldn't believe how much MGS2 makes the original obsolete. The stealth in MGS was a total cakewalk. Step 1: Kill with silenced SOCOM Step 2: body vanishes into thin air, continue with mission.

It was funny for me to think about how much trouble I used to have with that game back in the proverbial day, and how easily I went through it this time. I ended up underestimating the entire game because of the ease of the main gameplay though, so I ended up getting stuck at the Hind and Rex for an annoyingly long time.

I don't like Meryl.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #1228
YouDigress
16-bit Poster

I just finished Half-Life 2 and Rainbow 6: Vegas both in the same day. I guess I'm going pretty shooter happy.

Rainbow 6:Vegas has possibly gained the award of having the most unsatisfying ending ever. I don't want to spoil it, but it really is really bad. Almost akin to Halo 2, without the fact that there's a sequel coming.

Half-Life 2 has a disappointing ending too, but that's what Episode 1 and 2 are for. I have to say, HL2 is one of the better gaming experiences I've had for a LONG time. It's really good. And since people can go on Steam and buy the Half-Life 2+One pack for 25 dollars, there's no reason you should miss this game, save for a bad computer.
YouDigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:34 PM   #1229
Epic Juicebox
Noisy?

Since it came up in another thread, I decided to give The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening another run through. Fininshed it after a couple days' worth of right before bed sessions (with 100% completion, and without dying a single time). The pacing in that game is excellent! No lulls whatsoever in between dungeons. The objectives are always clearly outlined - albeit sometimes a little bit too clearly, stupid owl - and the gameplay lends itself nicely to the handheld platform. I still think this is one of the most relevant Zelda games still today. It holds up incredibly well (especially when you consider that it came out for the original Gameboy more than 10 years ago)!

- EJ

Old 07-30-2007, 12:03 AM   #1230
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

I just beat Mega Man X: Maverick Hunter X for PSP with both X and Vile.

Great re-make and upgrade of my first Mega Man game. Kinda short, but worth $20 I paid for it out of nostalgia alone. Not to mention it was a blast playing as Vile and tinkering with different weapon layouts.

On to the much longer lasting Mega Man Powered Up (play as each boss char, Roll, and Proto Man? Come on!)