About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 04-23-2007, 02:51 AM   #1201
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Finished God of War II... a fun ride, and the ending has me TOTALLY psyched for GoW III.

...still working on Portrait of Ruin.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:52 AM   #1202
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Send a message via MSN to Adelleda

Finished STAR WARS: Starfighter on the ps2 (in about an hour and a half). I've had this game since it came out in 2001 when I was all of 14 years old thinking it would be really cool. How wrong I was. Never in the last 6 years (untill now) have I been bothered to finish it. Its not a praticularly bad game, just not really good either.
Adelleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:09 AM   #1203
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

I've finished a bunch of crap lately. Almost entirely Virtual Console games. The most recent of these were Chew Man Fu and Wonder Boy in Monster World (I beat it the day it was released).

After owning a Wii for a while, I'm kind of feeling like the main system is a bust, but the VC is a godsend. Starting a new file on Wonder Boy today for the first time in years almost brought a tear to my eye.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:18 PM   #1204
Song Jiang
Nicaraguense

Finished Puzzle Quest for the DS. It's frustrating at first (and the AI seems a bit cheesy at times) but after you build up momentum, the game actually gets to be a bit too easy. I played as a warrior, and after I got the "Death Bringer" spell I almost felt sorry for my AI opponents...

Still a great game, though. I'm going to try playing it as a wizard next time and see how much replay value there is...
Old 05-05-2007, 01:59 PM   #1205
Reharl

I'm done with Viva Piņata. Not exactly out of choice as my Xbox just butchered the disc...*

Such a shame too, I was enjoying this quirky title quite a bit and had decided to put in the effort to become Master Romancer for most species and go after the awards. I think I got two thirds of the way in, getting most of basic piņatas and getting a few harder or uncommon ones, like the Dragumfly, the Roario or the Buzzenge (I was just about to go for an Eaglair, darn).

It's a terrific game on all counts, and one that should not be missed if you like sims like these. I think the most enjoyable feature about its design is how situations are always manageable and you're never led into a dead end. Even if your piņatas get eaten or leave the garden to give way to others, you can always go ask Gretchen to get them back for you. When plants die or wither away they leave seeds behind so you can replant them right at once. Managing gardens is a learning experience too, as my initial efforts often ended up in confusion and chaos. I decided to make four different gardens for my piņatas. One forest, one with lots of grass, one with a large pond, and then a breeding garden for some of the more industrial piņatas like the delicious Flutterscotches that everyone seemed to want to eat.

The only flaws I can really point out are mostly related to the interface. While serviceable, it's a chore to sometimes toggle to the city and break up the gameplay as the screens change. If I want to buy two different seeds, I needed to plant one, return to the store, then buy the other one, and it would have been so much simpler to provide a smaller menu once you step into the garden to do your planting.

Likewise, digging ponds was a bore! Oh, and I can't take anymore of that "seed-jumping" sound when you leave a seed on the ground without planting it. Too often would I search every square meter of my garden in search of a grating seed that was hidden behind a bush or underneath a piņata.

(*another victim of vertical operating boxes. I reached behind to switch the HD cable and bumped into the machine. Now it couldn't have been a tilt higher than 5, 10 degrees? Whatever it was, it made the lens pickup completely mow down the disc and chew a line of scratches into it. I'm attemtping to resurface the layer but they are quite extensive and I'm not seeing improvements. Come on MS, even my 15 year-old discman or my V4 PS2 know how to keep discs in place...)

Last edited by Reharl; 05-05-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Reharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #1206
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Sorry about the disc... i keep all my systems horizontal when possible, i just don't trust them vertical. that really sucks.

in keeping the thread on-topic, i just finished Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters on the PSP. i might do a review, but i'll say for now that it was good enough to be a legitimate sequel in the series... one of the top-tier PSP games, easily.

when they're done right, the PSP has proven that its games can be really high-quality. it's just a shame that not many of them really get done right. : /
Old 05-07-2007, 04:56 PM   #1207
Epic Juicebox
Noisy?

Rep Power: 14 Epic Juicebox is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Epic Juicebox

I finally managed to finish Twilight Princess over the weekend. It was quite an undertaking, but nowhere near as overwhelming as the last big fish I fried (FF XII). I had a really great time running around collecting heart pieces and golden bugs, but I ran out of steam before I captured all the Poe souls. Also, I never got around to venturing into the cave of ordeals because by the time I got through with the Temple of Time, I was pretty much ready to be through with the game. The storyline was totally underwhelming, but I guess that's par for the course with Zelda games. Overall, though, I'd say I was satisfied with the experience.

Anyway, this was my first trip back into the Zelda universe since Link's Awakening way back in the day, and I dare say that my spark for the series is reignited! I doubt I'll ever get around to playing all the entries I missed, but I'm already looking forward to the next!

- EJ

Now Playing: Persona (PSP) - Scribblenauts (DS) - Assassin's Creed II (X360)

Check out my entire collection at IGN!
Epic Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:25 AM   #1208
Brandon Erickson
New Poster

Rep Power: 0 Brandon Erickson is an unknown quantity at this point

I finally beat Ico. I bought the game a couple years ago, played half way through it, got stuck on a puzzle, and then got sidetracked with other games. The other day I played all the way through Shadow of the Colossus again and it got me thinking about Ico. So after work today, I popped it in and kept playing until it was done. Great game. I really admire Fumito Ueda. His games are truly works of art.
Brandon Erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:13 AM   #1209
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

I just finished Rainbow Six: Vegas.

Honestly, I'm getting pretty FUCKIN' sick and tired of cliffhanger endings. I know it didn't start with Halo 2, but it seems like Halo 2 made it hip. What's with the cliffhanger chic?

God of War's got it. Advent Rising did it. Dead Rising did it. Condemned did it. FEAR did it. Splinter Cell: Double Agent did it. Gears of War has it.

Hell I bet they were trying to squeeze one in for Guitar Hero II if they somehow were able to engineer that.

And now Rainbow Six, a series devoid of any coherent plot, suddenly has a thread that asks me to follow through with in the next unannounced game? Ugh.

Don't get me wrong. The game itself is fine, if you're into that stuff. By now, I look at the Tom Clancy shooters outside of Splinter Cell as basically the Madden, or Dynastic Warriors, of the shooting genre. I'm terribly addicted to the same basic gameplay endlessly tweaked to fit whatever gaming zeitgeist might be going on at the time.

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Gene Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:26 PM   #1210
Reharl

I beat Gears of War a couple of days ago, though I'm not yet done with it. I'm currently progressing through the Hardcore campaign solo, as it's not really that much of a difference from the Casual mode once you learn to take extensive cover. I can see Raam giving me a run for my money but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I plan to try this on Insane as well.

I had a few online experiences with the game this weekend, none were very positive. I assure you I had a good time in some of the maps, but for the most part the duck and cover gameplay is completely lost. Some levels are a just slugfest with shotguns at close range and that can get a little old after a while. At the same time, when you do catch a team that isn't playing with a min-max strategy or relies on different strategies it's a complely different game.

That just furthers the point that you really need to be playing this with friends. Or make good use of that mute function (to be fair, sundays are probably not the best day to catch a mature croud online). Other than that, terrific game.

PS: I _really_ need to learn how to shoot from the hip more accurately, it's killing me in online matches. I wish there was some sort of crosshair.
Reharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:36 PM   #1211
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reharl View Post
I beat Gears of War a couple of days ago, though I'm not yet done with it. I'm currently progressing through the Hardcore campaign solo, as it's not really that much of a difference from the Casual mode once you learn to take extensive cover. I can see Raam giving me a run for my money but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I plan to try this on Insane as well.

I had a few online experiences with the game this weekend, none were very positive. I assure you I had a good time in some of the maps, but for the most part the duck and cover gameplay is completely lost. Some levels are a just slugfest with shotguns at close range and that can get a little old after a while. At the same time, when you do catch a team that isn't playing with a min-max strategy or relies on different strategies it's a complely different game.

That just furthers the point that you really need to be playing this with friends. Or make good use of that mute function (to be fair, sundays are probably not the best day to catch a mature croud online). Other than that, terrific game.

PS: I _really_ need to learn how to shoot from the hip more accurately, it's killing me in online matches. I wish there was some sort of crosshair.
I stopped playing Gears of War online because none of my friends own the game (or even a 360), and all I ever got were grenade-tagging, shotgun blasting rednecks.

The game and level designs lend themselves to some great strategic gameplay that's both fast and methodical, but they need to tweak the shotgun and the ability to grenade tag for the game to be played how CliffyB envisioned it.

Me personally I DON"T use the shotgun. I prefer to know where all my shells are hitting, instead of the abstract spray of a shotgun. I just use the lancer and spray their legs.

Hardcore isn't that much harder, and honestly neither is Insane. There were a few choice moments in Insane where I had to restart probably a dozen times, and RAAM took a good hour for me before I got lucky and he glitched on a box. Otherwise it's the same game, albeit a little more entertaining since you're taking cover almost all the time.

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Old 05-12-2007, 10:49 AM   #1212
Nossato
Keeper of the JRPG Cliche

Send a message via AIM to Nossato Send a message via Yahoo to Nossato

Just finished Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony on the PSP. Enjoyable hack and slash fare. I was surprised at what a meaty game it was.
Nossato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:11 AM   #1213
Epic Juicebox
Noisy?

Rep Power: 14 Epic Juicebox is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Epic Juicebox

I finished Genji: Dawn of the Samurai over the weekend. I had fun with it in the early stages, but I expected so much more in terms of special abilities and such. Once I got the hang of the slow motion, timed button press maneuver, I was ready to see something else... but it never happened. Instead, I was just given the ability to slow things down MORE. Great. Awesome.

But the game was comfortably short. I even tried to round up as much of the secret stuff as possible before heading into the final battle (which, I must say, was markedly more difficult than anything the rest of the game had offered up to that point), and I still managed to finish in under 10 hours. Not overwhelmed. Not underwhelmed. Overall, a slightly above average game, guilty of style over substance. But man, did it have style!

- EJ

Now Playing: Persona (PSP) - Scribblenauts (DS) - Assassin's Creed II (X360)

Check out my entire collection at IGN!
Epic Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:45 PM   #1214
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Juicebox View Post
I finished Genji: Dawn of the Samurai over the weekend. I had fun with it in the early stages, but I expected so much more in terms of special abilities and such. Once I got the hang of the slow motion, timed button press maneuver, I was ready to see something else... but it never happened. Instead, I was just given the ability to slow things down MORE. Great. Awesome.

But the game was comfortably short. I even tried to round up as much of the secret stuff as possible before heading into the final battle (which, I must say, was markedly more difficult than anything the rest of the game had offered up to that point), and I still managed to finish in under 10 hours. Not overwhelmed. Not underwhelmed. Overall, a slightly above average game, guilty of style over substance. But man, did it have style!

- EJ
Yeah it was a fun little slasher. I was also disappointed that we didn't get to see more other stylistic battles, but the game was definitely short enough to alleviate any concerns of overkill. I remember playing it at E3 and I thought it was uber cool, so I picked it up right quick on release date. Horrible story, colorful graphics and a pretty fun RPG system.

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Old 05-14-2007, 06:00 PM   #1215
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Finished Trauma Center: Second Opinion on the Wii a day or two ago... although i miss actually using my hand to "operate" with the DS's stylus, the Wii's version is the one to get. thumbs up, review forthcoming.