About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 03-26-2007, 02:54 PM   #1186
Song Jiang
Nicaraguense

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Recently finished Suikoden V, Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, and Dead Rising. Suikoden was a welcome return to basics for the series after the very ho-hum Suikoden IV, fun and at times moving.

Portrait of Ruin was good, especially with the dual character system, but I somehow missed the "gotta catch 'em all" fun of the games with Soma Cruz and the enemy soul system.

Considering what a zombie freak I am, I should have loved Dead Rising from the get go, but I found it hard to get into and stay into. Once my character powered up a bit and I received some of the fun moves (disembowel, anyone?) it went much more quickly.

Now, I'm moving my way through Gears of War, Symphony of the Night, and the PS2 remake of Tales of Destiny - it's a surprisingly satisfying mix of games; I have something for all of my gaming moods!
Old 03-29-2007, 10:12 PM   #1187
JackSlack
Proud Supporter of Pants

OBJECTION!

Ahem, sorry, it got away from me. So yeah, I finished Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. Overall... it's fun.

But it's not a great game.

As many have stated, it's too linear by about double. (I nearly said 'by half' but that's giving it too much credit.) Your role in the game really is to trigger the events that allow the hero to solve the cases himself. Worse, some of the later scenarios are really obtuse.

Which in the end is all forgiven, courtesy of the wonderful writing. It's funny as hell, which saves it. Just goes to show you how good writing can make or break a game. TAKE THAT!
JackSlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:33 PM   #1188
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

I too just beat Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

I thought it was pretty fun. Sometimes I'd know exactly where I was supposed to go with the case, but because of some small, insignificant detail that really had no bearing, I couldn't say what I wanted to say.

But as Jack said before me, the writing is spectacular, and relationships that build between the characters was rather enjoyable to watch unfold. I wanna play the second one, but I got too much on my plate currently to start another case.

Quick question: I beat the final act, but it didn't put one of those neat pictures with all the characters behind it in the Case Select menu. Did I forget to do something?
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:18 PM   #1189
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyAcolyte View Post
I too just beat Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

I thought it was pretty fun. Sometimes I'd know exactly where I was supposed to go with the case, but because of some small, insignificant detail that really had no bearing, I couldn't say what I wanted to say.

But as Jack said before me, the writing is spectacular, and relationships that build between the characters was rather enjoyable to watch unfold. I wanna play the second one, but I got too much on my plate currently to start another case.

Quick question: I beat the final act, but it didn't put one of those neat pictures with all the characters behind it in the Case Select menu. Did I forget to do something?
I just finished that game recently too. No you didn't do anything wrong. The last chapter is a DS-exclusive chapter, and I guess they didn't bother brushing up a fancy pants picture.

The game has great writing, and it's pretty fun overall.

I'll tell you that it all starts to get pretty old by the second game. The writing becomes predictable, and for some reason I'm able to solve cases and circumstances hours before they reach the actual in-game resolution. It's just a matter of triggering the good writing for me now.

And unfortunately, the DS-only tricks and cool graphics weren't available for the second game, making this one a hastily put-together port from Japan to cash in on the Phoenix Wright craze. Fortunately the series has started to be exclusively for the DS.

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Gene Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #1190
jdingo
32-bit Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to jdingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Korn Karn View Post

Finished FFXII.

The story was no good... Boring.

I didn't care for any of the characters...

The music was probably the worst part.

The game was pretty lengthy for me (90 hours)
That's precisely the kind of game I play for 90 hours.

Clearly, you are extremely tenacious!

- jdingo
Old 04-04-2007, 10:34 PM   #1191
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

finished Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure on PSP... wow, that's a seriously quality game. good, good stuff.

also, not sure if it counts, but i "finished" Viva Pinata... hit level 50, unlocked all the Sours and pretty much met all my self-imposed goals except for getting the Eaglair...it was just pissing me off too much. super-fun stuff, though... definitely my favorite 360 game in a while.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:22 AM   #1192
sleeveboy
VISUALSHOCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gallaway View Post
finished Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure on PSP... wow, that's a seriously quality game. good, good stuff.

also, not sure if it counts, but i "finished" Viva Pinata... hit level 50, unlocked all the Sours and pretty much met all my self-imposed goals except for getting the Eaglair...it was just pissing me off too much. super-fun stuff, though... definitely my favorite 360 game in a while.
But did you get all the achievements?

(btw, I can get you that Eaglair if you want)
Old 04-05-2007, 04:51 PM   #1193
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Heh... only got like 30-odd of the achievements, IIRC. I can live without all of them, i think. if you want to send over an Eaglair, i wouldn't turn it down.

^_^

i may be wrong, but it seems like the resident requirements get reset if you turn the console off. i came close to having an Eaglair and then stopped playing, and when i came back it seemed like i had to do it all over again. (i was sure keeping the Buzzenge farms in business.) same for the Galagoogoo thing... i came close to that and then it seemed to get reset.

at this point, i think all i need is an Eaglair, a Roario and a Chewnicorn and i think that's every one. oh, and a Dragumfly... that one's especially irritating. : /

hella fun game overall, though.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:07 PM   #1194
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdingo View Post
That's precisely the kind of game I play for 90 hours.

Clearly, you are extremely tenacious!

- jdingo
Yeah, I know. Seriously, I wouldn't have finished it if it weren't a FF game. It was more so I could say I did it than anything else.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:32 PM   #1195
Low Emissions
64-bit Poster

Rep Power: 13 Low Emissions is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Low Emissions

I finally beat a game!

I think I might have one or two posts in this whole thread over the last year or two, and I finally get to post another one!

I beat Saints Row! I don't know if that means it's easy enough for a mediocre gamer like myself or that it's actually addicting enough that a casual gamer like myself finds the time to play all the way through, but I enjoyed every minute of it! I did not, however, reach 100%. I believe I finished the game at around 77%. I didn't know I was at the end, so that explains that, and some of the little side missions are proving to be too much for somebody like me to finish.

In any case, I think it was an excellent time, and I finally can say again that I beat a game. :P
Old 04-14-2007, 05:02 PM   #1196
Epic Juicebox
Noisy?

Rep Power: 14 Epic Juicebox is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Epic Juicebox

I finished Touch Detective last night. It was a fun little game - totally worth the price of admission for the quirky aesthetic and off beat humor, gameplay not withstanding - but as short as it was, it wasn't consistent enough to qualify as anything better than 'meh.'

The first three episodes were very well put together. I'll admit, there were a couple puzzles that had me pretty well stumped, but nothing as nonsensical as all the reviews would lead you to believe. Talk to the right people, ask the right questions, and all will unfold just fine... until you get to Episode 4, at which point - for some reason - the game falls flat on its face. The humor fizzles, the conversations get repetitive, and the resolution is a total cop out!

[SPOILER]Throughout the bulk of the game, the writers lead you to believe that the shark, Dover, is up to something, but they never directly involve him in any of the cases. So I guess when they realized they were gonna be done after Episode 4, the decided it would be a good idea to tack him on right at the end. And a poor job they did![/SPOILER]

Maybe the novelty had just worn off by the time I got to the end, I don't know. I can say, though, that the last episode felt so off that I was more than ready to put the game away after the credits rolled (I didn't even bother with the bonus mission I unlocked for trudging through the main story)! That's not to say I don't imagine I'll ever go back and give it another go, but I'm definitely not in that big of a hurry!

- EJ, The Epic Juicebox

Now Playing: Persona (PSP) - Scribblenauts (DS) - Assassin's Creed II (X360)

Check out my entire collection at IGN!

Last edited by Epic Juicebox; 04-14-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Epic Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:25 AM   #1197
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

...speaking of adventure games, i'm one chapter away from finishing Hotel Dusk on DS.

Holy.

Cow.

how did anybody ever play this and stay awake? i'm a big fan of chat-heavy detective-ish games like this, but DAMN.... the game's like 95% dialogue and 5% meh puzzles. they could have cut the game time in half and been much better off for it. i can't see any ending making up for how slow and dull it is.

...and to stay on-topic, i finished Marvel: Ultimate Alliance about 20 minutes ago. the story sucks but it's a fun ride for Marvel fans. too bad Ghost Rider isn't one of the stronger characters since he's one of my faves, but overall it was a total worthwhile purchase.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:42 AM   #1198
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Oh, but did you watch Ghost Rider the movie?

Anyway, I haven't finished any game so I think I shouldn't have posted Maybe I'll finish Lunar Knights (what I'm currently playing) or the upcoming Phoenix Wright 3 on my next post (which will be by September if it's the latter).
shun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:15 PM   #1199
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

No, i can't stand Nicolas Cage so i refused to see the GR movie... i didn't want to see one of my favorite characters dragged through the hollywood crap machine.

and i just finished Hotel Dusk.

the story completely sucked, the puzzles were lame, it was way too long and the ending BLEW rancid goat teats... not to spoil anything, but it could have been called Hotel Dusk: Barely Legal the way things turned out. eccch!

= P
Old 04-16-2007, 08:28 PM   #1200
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Good for you! Ghost Rider the movie is very crappy, full of corny lines like "you may have my soul, but you can never have my spirit!"
shun is offline   Reply With Quote