About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 05-03-2004, 12:16 PM   #106
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou
Well Hypatia, Civilization is a Turn Based Strategy, not RTS.. so you may be able to get into it...

However, if micromanagement is what puts you off you might want to stay away. You can take as long as you want to complete each turn, but to be really successful (especially at higher levels) the amount of minute tasks you have to perform borders on the obscene.. though its certainly not the worst case in the empire building genre.

As for good horror games, the only one I can recommend outside of Silent Hill is System Shock 2.. though that game may be enjoyable primarily only to the "hardcore". Thief 1 and 2 are great as well, and can arguably be considerred horror, but again, it takes a special type of person to really find them fun. Also, all of these games are pc only, and are definately starting to show their age. Perhaps waiting until the release of Thief 3 (On PC and Xbox, should be fairly soon) will be your best bet.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:22 PM   #107
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Yeah, that's what I thought: a no-go for the RE series.

As for PC games, I'd love to, but the one at home works some days and not others, so I have to wait until we get a new one. (we're saving for a laptop even as we speak.)

So.. I'm thinkin' Clock Tower 3. I read a review, and it seems right up her alley.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 07:35 AM   #108
Reharl

Come on, let's be fair to the RE series, the first two are already pleasant classics.

The control scheme is not atrocious by any means. It's far from functional, and it can lead to some frustration, but it doesn't hinder the gameplay THAT much. At least for me it didn't. The camera angles are more moody than troublesome but, again, may provoke some irritation.

RE is not even too gruesome. Doesn't come anywhere near the disturbing SH series in that regard. It has a structure more related to small, sudden and loud frights rather than a psy-horror background the SH contains at every minute.

I reccomend the first two games (get the stunning Gamecube REmake), but I understand if some don't like them because of their usually appointed flaws.
Reharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 07:45 AM   #109
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally posted by Reharl
Come on, let's be fair to the RE series, the first two are already pleasant classics.

The control scheme is not atrocious by any means. It's far from functional, and it can lead to some frustration, but it doesn't hinder the gameplay THAT much. At least for me it didn't. The camera angles are more moody than troublesome but, again, may provoke some irritation.

RE is not even too gruesome. Doesn't come anywhere near the disturbing SH series in that regard. It has a structure more related to small, sudden and loud frights rather than a psy-horror background the SH contains at every minute.

I reccomend the first two games (get the stunning Gamecube REmake), but I understand if some don't like them because of their usually appointed flaws.
Well, we'll see. But what is the Cube's version called, and what is the second one on PS (right)?
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Old 05-04-2004, 07:51 AM   #110
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally posted by Zanbatou
Well Hypatia, Civilization is a Turn Based Strategy, not RTS.. so you may be able to get into it...

However, if micromanagement is what puts you off you might want to stay away. You can take as long as you want to complete each turn, but to be really successful (especially at higher levels) the amount of minute tasks you have to perform borders on the obscene.. though its certainly not the worst case in the empire building genre.

As for good horror games, the only one I can recommend outside of Silent Hill is System Shock 2.. though that game may be enjoyable primarily only to the "hardcore". Thief 1 and 2 are great as well, and can arguably be considerred horror, but again, it takes a special type of person to really find them fun. Also, all of these games are pc only, and are definately starting to show their age. Perhaps waiting until the release of Thief 3 (On PC and Xbox, should be fairly soon) will be your best bet.
Zan!

Didn't see your post there. We must've posted at the same time.

Anyway, sorry about calling Civ that which it is not. But you're right: it's the micromanagement that gets to me. (I did try Civ 2 once upon a time, b/c I'd heard such fabulous things about it, but alas, I just couldn't get into it.)

As for the horror stuff, I've done (and loved) both System Shock 2 and the two Thiefs on the PC. I wouldn't really call them survival horror though. However, I am, indeed, gnawing at the bit for Thief 3, and it's (probably) one of the few games on my list that I'll get when it first arrives. *can hardly wait*

I /think/ we'll probably try Clock Tower 3 next. That seems right up maggie's alley.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Old 05-04-2004, 07:56 AM   #111
Reharl

The Gamecube version is simply called "Resident Evil". It's a remake of the first one with some minor changes and a much welcome 180-flip button. It's the only one that got a brutal visual makeover, and it looks absolutely gorgeous at every time.

The second one is "Resident Evil 2" (imaginative title, huh?) . It's got the worst voice acting in videogame history and it's available for PSone or the Gamecube (but not as a remake, just a straight port). Any version should do fine, I think.

There's a bunch of other REs, but the series went severely downhill from 2. The flaws, while excusable for the first games, became unaccpetable for the latter entries.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:17 AM   #112
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally posted by Reharl
The Gamecube version is simply called "Resident Evil". It's a remake of the first one with some minor changes and a much welcome 180-flip button. It's the only one that got a brutal visual makeover, and it looks absolutely gorgeous at every time.

The second one is "Resident Evil 2" (imaginative title, huh?) . It's got the worst voice acting in videogame history and it's available for PSone or the Gamecube (but not as a remake, just a straight port). Any version should do fine, I think.

There's a bunch of other REs, but the series went severely downhill from 2. The flaws, while excusable for the first games, became unaccpetable for the latter entries.
Well, duh. I guess I could've (should've) figured out the titles themselves. But thanks.

BTW, are you going to be playing that new RE that (I think) is coming out soon for the Cube?
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Old 05-04-2004, 08:28 AM   #113
Reharl

The new RE for the Cube sure looks promising. It has apparently abandoned the traditional control-scheme, it introduces a 3d camera angle system and makes a few promises in non-linear gameplay possibilities. And the graphics are really enticing. Besides, it's even got a LOTR cave troll look-a-like!

I'm curious about the game, which means when it comes out, and if the reviews are decent, I'll probably get it sooner or later. This thread gave me something to look forward to.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:56 AM   #114
Kin Korn Karn

Post here when you BEAT A GAME. -5 to all for going way off topic~!
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 07:36 AM   #115
sigmundshen
Simple Fisherman

Rep Power: 13 sigmundshen is an unknown quantity at this point
Beat Lunar Eternal Blue last week, and finished the epilogue yesterday.

I would say that overall, it's slightly better than Silver Star Story:

The story is thematically similar, but defnly more intense and epic. One cutscene near the ending of the main plot will make your jaw drop for both its visual and dramatic impact. Also, there are a lot of touching and even interesting references to the previous installment -- it really feels like the second chapter in a continuous story.

The characters are cute but not as memorable.

The music is about the same quality, still not-very-good-but-sweet 80's Japanese pop-synth.

The battle engine is essentially the same, but deeper by enough that you're not using the same exact strategy for every boss, thank goodness. There are even a couple of battles where you can profit from using the "defend"-"move" option -- although the feature is still not exploited nearly enough. I haven't played too many RPG's where enemy encounters can be avoided by dodging icons onscreen, but the device is defnly better executed here than in Chrono Trigger -- avoiding certain battles even takes a little forethought, cunning, and luck.

No replay value, but sweet and involving enough so that you'll want to finish it once you get in, plus the extras (like the long epilogue quest, and the item that allows you to watch all the FMV's) make this an appealing and slightly-above-average package for its genre. Although I personally liked it, I also have to say that the similarity to, and continuity with, the conventions and devices of the previous installment is both a strength and a weakness. 6.5.

Last edited by sigmundshen; 05-06-2004 at 07:44 AM.
sigmundshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 02:14 PM   #116
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy
I beat Beats of Rage.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 02:58 PM   #117
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

And yesterday I beat Streets of Rage 2, with my little brother.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 03:19 PM   #118
Nicato
Next-Gen Poster

Just beat Twin Snakes, Hard mode.

Going for extreme; wish me luck.
Nicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 07:32 PM   #119
gamingguy
God of games

Send a message via AIM to gamingguy

How about the new format? I like it!!

I beat Metroid Zero Mission, and am trying to get 100%. I'm at about 85-90. I haven't given up yet!

Yeah I'm hung like planet Pluto hard to see with the naked eye
But if I crashed into Uranus I would stick it where the sun don't shine
'Cause I'm kind of like Han Solo always strokin' my own Wookiee
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah but you can call me
Cookie
Looks like a stalemate to me
gamingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:28 AM   #120
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

I beat KOTOR from the light-side (though somehow I missed out on the end bits of the romance with Carth -- not /really/ a big deal).

MANY MAJOR thanks to Reharl for telling me about that glitch, lest it would have devolved into a shelfed-event game.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918