About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 01-02-2007, 09:22 AM   #1126
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

I'm still trying to get used to the new GC layout, but here's a new on-topic post:

I've recently beaten Phoenix Wright 2, and I agree with bass that it's truly spectacular, although I don't know if we share the same impressions (after all, he's been a little privy about that). My opinion is that at the beginning it may look and feel more of the same, but get past the first few chapters and you'd realize how good the story is, arguably better than the first game.

I'll keep it at that. I can find little to no way to go into specifics without spoiling the plot, and since I know some regulars here heartily loves the first game, I'll let them find out on their own on what happens on this game.

Last edited by shun; 01-02-2007 at 09:26 AM.
shun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #1127
Epic Juicebox
Noisy?

Rep Power: 13 Epic Juicebox is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Epic Juicebox

I finished Shadow of the Colossus over the weekend, and I have some mixed feelings about it. The game itself was almost overwhelmingly awesome for the first maybe 7 or 8 colossi, but beyond that it started feeling a little tedious - albeit, still quite awesome - until the final colossus and the dramatic ending sequence. Speaking of which...

**SPOILER WARNING**

I don't know how the rest of you felt about the ending, but I was sorely disappointed. Maybe my memories of Ico were just a bit too fond, and my expectations for this game might have been a bit too high. But I just didn't feel closure at the end! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the girl wakes up, and I'm glad to see that the horse survived that terrible fall... but what about the hero?! A baby?! Are you freakin' kidding me?! *sigh* Still, it didn't really detract from the game. Maybe I'll try it on hard mode sometime later in life!

**END SPOILERS**

Anyway, it was fun. And just long enough not to overstay its welcome. I highly recommend this one to anyone who hasn't played it. That is all.

- EJ, The Epic Juicebox

Now Playing: Persona (PSP) - Scribblenauts (DS) - Assassin's Creed II (X360)

Check out my entire collection at IGN!

Last edited by Epic Juicebox; 01-02-2007 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Making SoC BOLD!
Epic Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #1128
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

finished Yggdra Union a few days ago... 45 hours of strategy goodness. most definitely one of the best GBA titles of 2006.

started Scurge right afterwards, and it's a bit of a comedown... i've only spent like an hour on it, but the character design is pretty lacking and i find myself becoming vaguely annoyed with the isometric perspective. we'll see how this one turns out.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:54 PM   #1129
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

I nearly forgotten about this:

I beat Elite Beat Agents on normal. A good game, but not as good as Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan due to the crappy selection of music (Y.M.C.A. anyone?). And with regards to the characters of the game, i find O!T!O way more memorable and less annoying. In Elite Beat Agents, the Material Girl stage irks me with their share of celebutards - reminds me of Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie - representing the story snippets. Yuck!
Old 01-02-2007, 08:15 PM   #1130
Kin Korn Karn

Does beating Lego Star Wars 2's story mode count as a "I beat the game"?

I can't imagine trying to get 100% in this. Some of those levels just seem impossible to get True Jedi on.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #1131
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Kin, why are you asking questions such as that? Weren't you the one that started this epic thread?
Old 01-02-2007, 08:53 PM   #1132
Kin Korn Karn

Well, it's not like it's a hard game to beat
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:41 AM   #1133
jdingo
32-bit Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to jdingo

On December 31 I finished New Super Mario Bros.

I beat the final boss level in about five seconds. No exaggeration. It was way too easy.

But along the way there were some devilishly-clever level designs. Some of the levels cost me dozens of lives on the way to completion. There's that World 8 stage where spiders are constantly dropping on you while you have to navigate platforms that are sliding back and forth.

It seemed to me that New Super Mario Bros. was occasionally unfair, with a sudden death trap that could not have been foreseen. This is very rare for a Mario platformer. The series has never taken cheap shots, causing the player to lose a life without warning.

But I felt that New Super Mario Bros sometimes broke this rule.

A word to those who complained that "giant" Mario served no purpose. It seems to me that his purpose is to accumulate 1Ups: the more you smash while in giant form, the more 1Ups you are awarded: up to five. I was forever returning to World 1-1 to get extra lives this way.

All in all I felt that NSMB was a bit too easy. But possibly this is a result of the perfect, precise control. Mario in his various forms always does exactly what you tell him to do. The control is never frustrating.

I doubt I ever would have discovered how to unlock Worlds 4 and 7. After beating the game I went to the web to find out how to get to those two. And now I have finished World 4, and am making my way through World 7. They're both well-worth playing. They actually seem harder than the other Worlds (but still ultimately a bit easy).

NSMB is a blast. Some say it is not as great as SMB3 or SMBW, but I say "pshhhaw!" I have been playing SMB3 lately and it's a very fine game, but it really doesn't stand head-and-shoulders over NSMB.

- jdingo
jdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:13 AM   #1134
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Forgot to mention i also finished Elite Beat Agents on the DS. i never tried its japanese counterpart, but i thought EBA was pleasant enough.

some songs sucked, some were good... i suppose it's pretty impossible to satisfy everyone. though i will say that they went for some pretty dusty classics where i would have preferred to see original material.
Rolling Stones? gawd...

overall it felt a bit shallow, though... i bought it new since i got a target gift card for xmas and they didn't have anything else i wanted, but $30 is way too high for EBA. it comes off as a $20 effort at best, especially considering all but the hidden 3 stages can be seen in an hour or two if the player is decent.

pretty cute/quirky but lacking depth and staying power, IMO.

...and Scurge is still annoying the hell out of me. : /
Old 01-04-2007, 02:52 AM   #1135
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gallaway View Post
some songs sucked, some were good... i suppose it's pretty impossible to satisfy everyone. though i will say that they went for some pretty dusty classics where i would have preferred to see original material.
Rolling Stones? gawd...
Ah, well, regarding that, it's the same thing with the import version. But at least since we're not so familiar with the original Japanese songs (most of us anyway), the cover sounded less vexing and jarring and whatevarring. I guess there's this "coolness" factor too for people from this side to publicly declare that "hey guys, I can play japanese songs on my DS!", and I imagine that in Japanese it would be the same where they can say "Oy, risten to EBA's Rorring Stones!"
Old 01-05-2007, 06:38 AM   #1136
ASS-asn
the meaning of life below

Send a message via MSN to ASS-asn

beat Genji
too short imo and in some ways not challenging enough but still I really loved the game
it's my kind of game
the kamui system is very cool
graphics and general design is very well done
too bad some of the rpg gameplay seems kind of not necessary with the kamui system

Last edited by ASS-asn; 01-05-2007 at 06:42 AM.
ASS-asn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:39 PM   #1137
Polo88
The Latest OT7

Send a message via MSN to Polo88

I recently beat Call of Duty 3.

My overall impression would have to be "meh." I don't know if it's the fact that I played for hours on end, but it seemed like once again the game was just way too short.

The missions themselves offered nothing really new or innovative. Granted, there were a few "driving" sequences in which you drove a jeep through villages crawling with nazis, but this wasn't much of a challenge. Neither was the manual setting of charges or the occasional use of a crowbar to open a door. These features felt like pointless additions just to make the game feel new.

The one addition that I liked was the icon that warned you of nearby grenades and the ability to throw the grenade back to the enemy.

All in all the game offers much of the same that it has been offering in the last two installments: Run from point A to point B, shoot some Nazis, see a team member get shot and die etc.

I've also been playing crazy amounts of FIFA 07 (you can't really "beat" this game but I have won a few trophies already).

It's definitely the best soccer game EA has made so far. Finally, they've started to move away from the "ball-tied-to-leg" engine to give the physics of the game a more realistic feel. This makes shooting fairly tricky, because if you're off balance or if you shoot before perfectly controlling the ball, you're guaranteed a miss, regardless of how close you are to the actual net.

The stadiums are beautiful, the teams look great, and the chanting and singing of the fans is all very well done.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:27 PM   #1138
strech
32-bit Poster

Beat Shining Force 1. For some reason I felt like playing it ... had it on the old Sega Smash Pack disc. [One of the few games on it without completely messed up sound].

Fun, but had some serious difficulty problems; outside of a couple fights, the main trick was keeping the "main" character alive; you had to restart the battle if he died, but he was semi-fragile, melee only, and the enemies would act suicidal to chase after him. Still, good enough that I played through it.
strech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #1139
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

I beat Far Cry Instincts for the Xbox last night. I must say that I am quite amazed at what these developer's can pull off with Xbox hardware, which further has be questioning why is it such a bad thing that the Wii is only "Xbox plus a little" in terms of hardware. A few lighting issues and character model glitches here an there, but on the whole, Far Cry is easily one of the prettiest games I've played in a while.

Not to mention that the gameplay was an absolute blast. I got worried when I started out that I wouldn't be utilizing all my abilities and that I wouldn't really feel like I'm stalking something, but about halfway through, you start to get the feeling that you really are a beast in a jungle. The vehicular portions are also rather fun, although I wish that at least one FPS would switch to standard driving controls for vehicular portions rather than have me hold "up" to go forward, thus making turning as awkward as possible.

In the end, this game was everything good I had heard about it, and I believe that had I played it before Half Life 2, it definitely would have stolen some of its thunder.
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #1140
Nossato
Keeper of the JRPG Cliche

Send a message via AIM to Nossato Send a message via Yahoo to Nossato

Finished .hack//G.U. Vol. 1:Rebirth today. I enjoyed it. I never played the first .hack series so I have no point of reference. Combat is not turn based, although you can pause the action if you need to resort to item use or spell casting. The story moves along at a nice clip, with very little grinding necessary to overcome the boss battles.

It actually does a pretty good job of emulating an MMORPG. You can e-mail in-game characters, read message boards for clues and customize your virtual desktop.

I'm anticipating the next volume, because the cliff hanger while obvious, left me wanting more.
Nossato is offline   Reply With Quote