About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 12-06-2006, 07:20 PM   #1111
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

you can do any of the stories in any order, and you can have several going at the same time. it's that quality that makes the game remain so fresh and engaging for so long.

basically what happens is that Chibi is a tiny robot in a household of unhappy people. the main quest is to reunite the family, but the sidequests involve the toys in the house that come alive when the people aren't around.

since it's a small house, most of the characters know about each other and interact with each other at least once or twice. we're not talking ini-depth hardcore RPGness here, but i was *quite* surprised at the amount of quests to do, and how well they all intermeshed.

the house feels very open and ready for exploration (which is well-rewarded), but there are at least 1 or 2 characters in each room to check in with, and their subplots keep things moving. if you thought Clock Town was *at all* interesting, my guess is that you'd be in love with Chibi-Robo.

my only gripe with the game in general is that there's a big portion of the game that can be "locked" if you do things in a wonky order... which i did. the stuff is still there to do, but if you screw up the sequence of events, then a huge major sidequest is inaccessible until almost the end of the main adventure. i couldn't figure out why my wife had a totally different experience in one part of the game than i did until i figured out that i forgot to do A before doing B, and then had to do C-Z before i could come back to A.

in any event, it's not like i lost anything, i just had to wait a while before i could do it. the game still gets my top marks and i see it as a Cube must-play, no question.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:33 PM   #1112
Nossato
Keeper of the JRPG Cliche

Send a message via AIM to Nossato Send a message via Yahoo to Nossato

Just finished FFXII. Game clock showed 93 hours with all characters at level 48. I used Ashe, Vaan, and Penelo for the end game boss rush.

Now that the game is over, I did find the story a bit on the "thin" side for a Final Fantasy, but the story sequences once you finish that hellish tower were excellent. I wanted more Balthier but I enjoyed the game from start to finish. I'll probably pick it back up later to try that boss with 5 million (or is it 50 million) hit points!

Looking forward to see what Revenant Wings does to continue the narrative.

Cheers!
Nossato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:52 PM   #1113
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Finally got a legitimate reason to post again!

I've just finished Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan on normal. That final stage was so hard that I spent an hour trying to get it right, even though I've heard of the song before. There were many times when I was just about to make it, then suddenly I reach this spinning wheel and my arms fail me because of the fatigue. It happened thrice. Now that was annoying.

Still, this game is a lot of fun!
Old 12-17-2006, 12:45 AM   #1114
sleepy
GTACKMA

WOOOOOOOOHOO!!!

I finally beat Elite Beat Agents. The last stage on the hardest difficulty level is *insane.* I think this is the hardest game I've ever beaten.

Now I just have to get all S ranks and somehow get my score to 80 million so I can advance to the next rank. Bah, only 20 million to go, I can do it!

On a totally unrelated note, the Nintendo DS is really sturdy!
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:56 AM   #1115
Jet Black
Maneki Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nossato
Just finished FFXII. Game clock showed 93 hours with all characters at level 48. I used Ashe, Vaan, and Penelo for the end game boss rush.
I finally got back on the game this week and beat it. Damn, my time for games has just flown away. Still, I agree with your comments in regard to the story. Paper thin. But it's nice enough to "get by".

Game clock was 115 hours. All characters level 54-55.

That "tower" was very lame, indeed.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:38 PM   #1116
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Finished Phoenix Wright last Saturday. Every praises that's been gushed to this game I wholeheartedly agree with. However, like Brad in his review, I felt that the final chapter (the DS exclusive one) was tacked-on. And many of the characters for that particular episode wasn't anywhere as endearing as the main casts for the first 4 chapters (Ema, I'm looking at you. You're one of the most annoying supports I've ever had in any videogames I've played).
Old 12-17-2006, 08:46 PM   #1117
Nossato

Just finished Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, my first Castlevania game!

Got the second ending because I forgot to equip that damn talisman in my state of eagerness.

Not a bad game. Now I'm going to pick another title from my DS backlog to finish.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:49 PM   #1118
Nossato

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy
WOOOOOOOOHOO!!!

I finally beat Elite Beat Agents. The last stage on the hardest difficulty level is *insane.* I think this is the hardest game I've ever beaten.

Now I just have to get all S ranks and somehow get my score to 80 million so I can advance to the next rank. Bah, only 20 million to go, I can do it!

On a totally unrelated note, the Nintendo DS is really sturdy!
I'm jealous, but I'll beat it one day! Just waiting for my Hori screen protectors to arrive before I try.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:19 PM   #1119
sleepy
GTACKMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nossato
I'm jealous, but I'll beat it one day! Just waiting for my Hori screen protectors to arrive before I try.
I think that's a huge viral marketing scam....I've stabbed and punched (!!) my DS screen out of frustration *a lot* while playing EBA, breaking two styluses (styli?) in the process....no damage to the screen, not even a scratch.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:23 PM   #1120
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Meh to EBA. Try Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan instead. And try to beat "Ready Steady Go" on insane.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:28 PM   #1121
sleepy
GTACKMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shun
Meh to EBA. Try Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan instead. And try to beat "Ready Steady Go" on insane.
I *have* heard that O!T!O! is much harder than EBA. So I'm a bit scared Think I'm gonna wait until I get all S ranks on EBA.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:51 PM   #1122
sleepy
GTACKMA

** spoilers (although it's not like the story is any good anyway) **

Finished Resident Evil 4 on Normal. The final tally screen told me that I had died 59 times, but thanks to the generous checkpoint allowance, I can't remember a single death that made me groan with frustration and annoyance at how much I would have to redo. I haven't played the other Resident Evil games, but I've read enough about them to get the sense that Resident Evil 4 was a conscious effort to make the series more accessible to the casual gamer. Not just because of the friendly checkpoint system and the improved control scheme, but also because of the scarcity of tedious or arcane puzzles and the relative abundance of ammo for Leon's many weapons. The focus is on getting the player to the end of the story with a minimum of fuss, and if that sometimes interferes with the illusion of peril, then tough.

Still, I'm glad that the first playthrough can be as painless as you like. Everyone should have a chance to see the credits roll after spending $50 (ok, $20) on a game without having to shell out an extra $25 for a replacement controller. Plus, it's easy to make the game harder by, say, using only the pistol, or avoiding permanent health increases, or refusing to upgrade your weapons at the merchant's. And then of course there's the standard Hard-difficulty-that-unlocks-when-you-beat-the-game-on-Normal.

But the game works best at the standard, easy difficulty. There are tons of tense, exhilirating scenarios, but because the game is so linear and so tightly scripted, almost all of these scenarios are fun the first time and less fun each time after that. Since everything happens the same way each time, the suspense quickly evaporates, and a lot of the excitement goes with it. Two thirds of the way through the game, for example, Leon has a tense confrontation with Krauser....as they talk, they cricle each other warily, knives raised, lunging when they spot an opening. Whenever Krauser attacks, you must react quickly by pressing the right button combinations to dodge. Playing this sequence for the first time, trying to catch what Krauser is saying while remaining tense and alert, is exciting and immersive. Playing for the second time -- if you mess up and Krasuer kills you -- is way less fun, since you know exactly when Krauser will make each of his attacks. Scripted setpieces like this can get super tedious if they're too hard, so while you wish that the game wasn't so scripted, you feel grateful that the designers recognized and adjusted for the game's limitations.

Despite their predictability, the many and varied setpieces are still the best of the gameplay. More mundane encounters with the several varieties of grunts suffer not just from the same predictable scripting, but also from repetitive animations and voice samples, noticeable collision detection and clipping glitches, and monumentally stupid AI. If they are not shambling slowly into your hail of bullets, you can often find them standing still as you take aim at their chest from ten feet away. Even those smart enough to use evasive maneuvers are still easy to draw out into the open. It's a little unfair to criticize the AI for failing to flank the player or use cover when the level design isn't well suited to these sorts of maneuvers, but it would have been nice if enemies at least tried to flee from grenades....

Melee combat is underdeveloped and unsatisfying, more of a last resort than a viable option. There's no way of blocking enemy melee attacks nor of quickly sidestepping them, reducing you to charging headlong at - and past -- the enemy once he's initiated his attack animation, wheeling about, and thrusting your knife into his general direction. Needless to say, this doesn't feel particularly realistic or frightening -- especially not after playing Condemned.

My biggest gripe with the combat, though, has to do with music. The game always alerts you to the presence of enemies by fading in particular melodies, so that with a little experience you can even tell just what kind of enemy waits around the corner. Occasionally, such as when a melody announces the approach of the horrifying regenerators, these musical cues add to the excitement...but more often than not, all they do is eliminate the thrill of surprise. Worse yet, the music fades out when you kill the last enemy in the area, and since enemeis don't respawn, the fade out guarantees that you are safe.

A survival horror game should never let you feel totally safe! Even if it's actually just an action game with a tinge of horror.

Would probably give it an 8/10 if I had to give a number score.

Last edited by sleepy; 12-18-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:48 AM   #1123
Kin Korn Karn

I like these posts, guys. So much better than the "I beat it" post with no impressions of the game.

Kindof like this one.

I beat Zelda last night.

Honestly, I'll reserve my impression after I have had a chance to let it ripen a bit. Now back to FFXII.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:04 AM   #1124
David Stone
One of uuuuuuussss....

Rep Power: 18 David Stone is an unknown quantity at this point

I did this about a week ago, but I finished Phoenix Wright 2. It blows the first game right out of the water with phenomenal storytelling and the ability to turn your expectations right on their ear. I guarantee you won't see the resolution of the fourth case coming.

Sorry, 3K, I've gotta keep more impressions for the review, but know that it's scored very highly with me.
David Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:08 AM   #1125
Gouty
I don't even like Pokemon

I beat Final Fantasy XII last night.
Second worst FF I've bothered to finish.
I finished the game in roughly sixty one hours, all six of my characters were level 46.
The tower sucked epically, Balthier however will likely go down as my personal favorite playable character in a FF. Let’s hope those spinoff’s have alot to do with him, though I have the feeling they’ll center around lame ass Vaan.
Were any of you able to come to grips with the gambit system? The more options that opened up, the less successful and efficient my crew became. I literally didn’t use gambits for the final boss fights, I had them whittled down to attack nearest enemy and that was it. Everything else I handled manually.

Last edited by Gouty; 12-20-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Gouty is offline   Reply With Quote