About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 11-10-2006, 12:09 AM   #1081
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
Hooray, a kindred spirit! Though I still think nothing can forgive that segment after the "last boss". You know the one.
I don't mind being spoiled, and I probably won't ever get to play the game. What happens in the end?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:10 AM   #1082
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

It's not really story related. Basically you have to run a sort of super-difficult gauntlet of enemies after beating the "final" boss, and it is insanely hard. At least I thought so. And it didn't really add anything to the game. I can't even think of any good reasons for a developer to include something like that in the first place. Aside from breaking up the awesome climactic build the game had going, it was just...really hard! Just thinking about it gives me ulcers.

Breakdown is still great, btw.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:12 AM   #1083
Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyAcolyte
The plot twist about 3/4th the way through was pretty great. I wish I had more patience and time to really develop some good combos in that game. Only thing I really learned was that Bruce Lee backhand fist. It was so fun to use.
Haha! My little brother constantly harassed me because I was always using that move. Once I got to the point where you could do 5-6 backhands in one go, it was like all ever did.

Though in my second playthrough I discovered the slide-uppercut combo, and almost felt like I was cheating.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:17 AM   #1084
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
It's not really story related. Basically you have to run a sort of super-difficult gauntlet of enemies after beating the "final" boss, and it is insanely hard. At least I thought so. And it didn't really add anything to the game. I can't even think of any good reasons for a developer to include something like that in the first place. Aside from breaking up the awesome climactic build the game had going, it was just...really hard! Just thinking about it gives me ulcers.
*SPOILERS BELOW:
Ha! It sounds like the same thing that happened in Hitman: Blood Money (even the climactic build and all that), especially when you're using the standard PS2 Analog Controller.

*END SPOILERS
Old 11-12-2006, 11:09 AM   #1085
ASS-asn
the meaning of life below

Send a message via MSN to ASS-asn

been a while since i rightfully posted here
but i just finished Bujingai Swordmaster (or Bujingai: Forsaken City as it is called in the us)
I really loved this game
the gameplay isn't really deep but it's so satisfying to play and the graphics are really impressive too
too short i must say but it was a very good short time
bought it wednesday, started playing friday untill now

I admit camera was akward sometimes but it's good

another nice thing to mention is that the main character Lau Wong, was modeled by Gackt (who stood also model for Final Fantasy main characters Cloud (FF7), Squall (FF8) and Tidus (FF10 ?) at least that's how some rumor's go)

he's a celebrity in japan, poprockstar singer
in japan this game's major selling point was Gackt being involved (tho it still is a good game)
anyway that's not why i bought it, i looked it up after i bought it
but i tought i would mention that

hope they will make a good sequel but i doubt it, it came out 2004

Last edited by ASS-asn; 11-12-2006 at 11:13 AM.
ASS-asn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:48 PM   #1086
sleepy
GTACKMA

Ok, it's not exactly a game, but just finished Dreamfall. Longest Journey fans have already played this of course, but it's worth a rental for people who liked games like BG&E or Indigo Prophecy.

Heh, Strech reminded me, there is a ridiculously layered fetch quest in Dreamfall that I swear is one long parody of The Elder Scrolls games. There's a hint about this right before the quest starts....the main character crawls out of a passage into the backroom of an inn. This room looks just like the storage rooms in Morrowind (or Oblivion for that matter, though Dreamfall came out before TESIV), and when you look around the main character says that it's just like she's in some "fantasy role-playing game."

Anyway, a strange experiment. I don't think I've ever seen gameplay-as-parody before, at least not such a long stretch of it.

Last edited by sleepy; 11-17-2006 at 12:00 AM.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:39 PM   #1087
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

I just beat GunValkyrie

An odd thing happened on the last boss fight. During the entire game I felt as if I werent completely grasping something the game was trying to do for me, specifically, the GV Napalm meter. However at the very last boss fight, I perfected my skills completely at the last minute, resulting in a beautiful victory.

It made the ending feel quite epic and special, even if the game wasn't all that epic.

All in all, fun game, very fun. Learn the controls, then enjoy blasting the aliens to pieces. The drive gun is very satisfying, especially when you're mowing down lines of enemies.
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:43 AM   #1088
strech
32-bit Poster

Well, I finished Beyond Good & Evil. The sudden jump in difficulty at the final boss was weird; not that the boss itself was too hard, but at a couple points in the fight there was a requirement of timing that had never really been necessary up until then, which threw me off for a while. Maybe that was just me, though ...

I thought the story actually worked pretty well, minus how *sudden* the weird bits were. The Alpha Sections always seemed to be a recent and slightly shaky oppressive government, without the sort of solid base that would have allowed them to withstand much of a popular opposition. So taking it down with news and pictures worked. The weird bits didn't seem too out of place - given the emphasis on kidnappings throughout the whole thing - they just didn't seed hints for enough of it.

The "haha sequel!" moment after the credits didn't bother me too much either.
strech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:10 AM   #1089
Boy

Quote:
I just beat GunValkyrie

An odd thing happened on the last boss fight. During the entire game I felt as if I werent completely grasping something the game was trying to do for me, specifically, the GV Napalm meter. However at the very last boss fight, I perfected my skills completely at the last minute, resulting in a beautiful victory.

It made the ending feel quite epic and special, even if the game wasn't all that epic.
Oh man, the exact same thing happened to me. It was such a great feeling. Gunvalkyrie is easily one of my favorite Xbox games. I wish sega would always put out games of that quality.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:49 PM   #1090
technomancy
Registered LUser

Rep Power: 19 technomancy is an unknown quantity at this point

Beat Gears of War. On Casual. Pretty dull, really. Multiplayer is great, don't get me wrong, but the single player was sorely lacking. And the difficulty ramps up rediculously with the final boss. Couldn't beat him. Squad mate kept dieing -- the useless turd.

So I messaged a friend online and he joined me and we killed him off in less than a minute.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:41 PM   #1091
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
Oh man, the exact same thing happened to me. It was such a great feeling. Gunvalkyrie is easily one of my favorite Xbox games. I wish sega would always put out games of that quality.

Well, Boy, we're 2 for 2. How bout you tell me what game I'm going to love next? (aside from the obvious Zelda TTP tonight!!!)
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:07 PM   #1092
Chaos Wielder
16-bit Poster

Indigo Prophecy.

Paint Roller, you are the meanest art student I have ever met.
Chaos Wielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:30 PM   #1093
Boy

Quote:
Well, Boy, we're 2 for 2. How bout you tell me what game I'm going to love next? (aside from the obvious Zelda TTP tonight!!!)
Sorry, can't talk. Playing FFXII.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:24 AM   #1094
Nossato
Keeper of the JRPG Cliche

Send a message via AIM to Nossato Send a message via Yahoo to Nossato

Just finished up Summon Night Swordcraft Story. Fun all the way around. Looking forward to playing the sequel once I'm done with FFXII.
Nossato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:30 AM   #1095
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Just finished Bully this afternoon...

The review is forthcoming, but the abbreviated version is that it's not nearly as clever or fresh as it seems to think it is.