About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 04-15-2004, 03:36 PM   #91
gamingguy
God of games

Send a message via AIM to gamingguy
I FINALLY beat Splinter Cell. It took me so long to get past the CIA mission and the Chinese embassy mission, since my strategy is line 'em up, knock 'em down. I rack up the headshots usually, but you can't kill in those missions.

Yeah I'm hung like planet Pluto hard to see with the naked eye
But if I crashed into Uranus I would stick it where the sun don't shine
'Cause I'm kind of like Han Solo always strokin' my own Wookiee
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah but you can call me
Cookie
Looks like a stalemate to me
gamingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:41 PM   #92
Song Jiang
Nicaraguense

Finished Fatal Frame 2. It's a well done game that has a combat system that I think is significantly tighter than the last game, but it was missing ... something.

**SPOILERS AHEAD**

Is it just me, or did the game use almost the exact same storyline as the first game??? I mean, there was almost no mystery as to the nature of the supernatural disaster that created the setting of the game. I KNEW it would be another "failed sacrifice" scenario about 30 minutes into the game...the lack of suspense in the plot really detracted from the curiousity that was such a strong driving force for me to finish the first game (not that it was THAT hard to figure out then, either). Still, a good (if neck-ache inducing) spin.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:24 AM   #93
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

Beat Mario and Luigi last night. Great game! I don't know how I let that sit around only a few hours into it for so long. Man, was that last boss hard as nails!
Old 04-17-2004, 06:37 PM   #94
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy
Beat Rocket Knight Adventures (for the millionth time, but the first time in cartridge form) last night. Awesome awesome game. Kinda disappointing final boss though.

I also got further than ever before in Dynamite Headdy, taking Baby Face down, but then I got schooled by the boss after that. badly. One day...
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 10:08 AM   #95
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

I beat Max Payne 2 Friday night! Woohoo!

I have to admit the ending was just so-so. Although I've not completed very many games, the few that I have seem to be rather anticlimactic. Is that typical, or am I just playing to completion the atypical games?

Anyway, I brought KOTOR back into the fold of games I'm currently working on. I did it b/c a friend of mine took advantage of the XBox sale at FYE (and got a $30 rebate), so he bought it to play b/c he's such a huge Star Wars fan. (Funny thing: he /forgot/ it has a hard drive and erased the game (or didn't save) for some reason -- thinking he was taking up too much space. *LOL*) Well, him playing his made me think about where I'd left off and.. you know the rest.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 08:45 AM   #96
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

We beat Beyond Good & Evil last night! (Didn't get all the pearls or animal pics, but I did leave a save game before going to the last mission.)

Considering the ending, is there a Beyond Good & Evil 2 in the works? We both wanna know what happens..
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Old 04-29-2004, 12:21 PM   #97
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou
I *finally* beat Civilization 3 on the the 'Deity' difficulty setting. I've been playing this game for over over a year now. I had a few other close games in which I was disappointed in the end, and I actually expected to barely lose this one too... but I somehow pulled it off.

The Egyptians were at least three times more powerful than I was, and it would have only been a matter of time before I fell to them if it came down to a war of attrition. I had a strong enough ground army to fend off any troops they tried to land on my continent, for awhile anyway, but they were able to do plenty of damage from afar. By the end they had almost completely destroyed every terrain enhancement my continent had within reach of their naval artillery, and there wasn't a thing I could do to stop them. Then they started striking much farther inland with airborn bombers, which I managed to slow down a bit with fighters and jets, but I eventually lost complete control of the skies as well, so I just had to resign myself to watching my nation get bombed for an entire minute at the beginning of every turn. Worst of all, the war lasted for many, many years, and my people were protesting in mass, but Egypt, who started (and then kept restarting) the war in the first place, would never allow peace for more than a few turns. My democracy was set to collapse under the strain of this war weariness, and I was forced to shift things over to Communism.

In the final turns I had riots taking place in nearly every city, thousands were starving to death from every corner of my nation because their farms had been bombed or polluted, and my economy was going to completely break down because I'd gone through my entire gold reserve attempting to beat the Egyptians to a key technology. I finally got that technology a turn before I went into the red, enabling me to build my last required starship piece, which I started in my capital city, far inland, the only place that was still running pretty smoothly despite everything. As the piece was being built I watched with dread as the Egyptians finally managed to land many transports full of units on my continent and make way towards my capital. They must have infiltrated it and known the game would be over if they didn't stop me. I threw everything at this army to slow it down, drafted citizens from every one of my remaining loyal cities even though I knew I would not be able to suppress the rioting that this would cause, and even destroyed a network of roads on my own land to prevent them from falling under enemy control. Somehow my batterred army held on for just long enough, and my ship was completed a turn before my capital would have fallen. The chosen elite were loaded onboard and I promptly launched, leaving my dieing nation behind in favor of the promising pastures of Alpha Centauri. Egypt can have the Earth if they want it so badly. :P

So yeah, I'm just lucky winning the space race counts as a victory condition. ^_^ And then, because I wanted to see what would happen and because it seemed disturbingly fitting... I decided to play a couple more turns and launch all of my stockpiled nukes at the largest Egyptian cities I could reach. After doing so they retaliated by nuking every single one of my remaining cities twice.. hehe.. but that doesn't count as part of the game, though, and as such doesn't make it into the world's history, just an amusing extra 'what if' that didn't really happen.

::whew:: sorry about the length. I was just having fun reliving it myself.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 12:26 PM   #98
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally posted by Zanbatou

::whew:: sorry about the length. I was just having fun reliving it myself.
Haha, that's awesome! I need to reload that game, download all the darn patches and start playing it again. Awesome.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:51 PM   #99
Havblue
Hat Town Resident

Quote:
Originally posted by Kin Korn Karn

Haha, that's awesome! I need to reload that game, download all the darn patches and start playing it again. Awesome.
I don't know whether to envy him or not. My enjoyment of Civilization was so great in early college that I made an oath to never play the series again. I remember the time when I should have been studying for finals and decided to take a short Civ 2 break. 8 hours later, I mournfully wondered where my day went. No, I don't think I want that "enjoyment" back in my life.

I'm closing in on beating Maximo: Army of Zin which plays, as some have said, just like Devil May Cry as a platformer. I'm sure you'll notice a few of Dante's signiture moves without the resolute stiffness and unfair difficulty. The core gameplay is a step above the original Ratchet and Clank and maybe a hair below Going Commando. This one's pretty easy to like.

My random complaint about platformers now is that I want another Ape Escape game.
Havblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 03:31 PM   #100
gamingguy
God of games

Send a message via AIM to gamingguy
Civ 3 is an awsome game. I once played against the french and the african tribes. I couquered the french pretty quickly, scince we shared a contenent. I started advancing my technologies, and africa waged full-scale war on me. They just sent over one zuluman a turn though, which my riflemen picked off easely. I forgot exactly what happened, but i think that there were so many riots, that i was eventually overthrown. I've only played twice though, so i suck at that game.

Yeah I'm hung like planet Pluto hard to see with the naked eye
But if I crashed into Uranus I would stick it where the sun don't shine
'Cause I'm kind of like Han Solo always strokin' my own Wookiee
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah but you can call me
Cookie
Looks like a stalemate to me
gamingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 05:22 PM   #101
GC_Kyle
16-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to GC_Kyle
I just beat Mega Man 2 for the first time! Only about 15 years too late, too! Whoot!

-Kyle Orland (100th reply!)
Old 04-29-2004, 06:42 PM   #102
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou
Quote:
I don't know whether to envy him or not. My enjoyment of Civilization was so great in early college that I made an oath to never play the series again. I remember the time when I should have been studying for finals and decided to take a short Civ 2 break.
You should pity me. It's pretty eery how close this comes to describing my situation. I only have a normal Calc test though.. finals aren't until next week. Still, my 'victory' could very well have cost me a letter grade in that class. ::returns to cramming::
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 09:46 AM   #103
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Zan,

Wonderful post! I /so/ wish I could get into RTS games. But alas, the micromanagement always puts me off. (Personally, I think I'm more of a tactician than a strategist.)

To All,

My grrl and I finished Silent Hill 3 Saturday night. Great fun there, but it did seem a bit short. So my question (/her/ question) is:

What's next? Fatal Frame was too hard for her, though she did rather much like the fear factor. Other than that, we've really only done the SH series. I don't know whether she'd like the RE series; is the camera and controls /that/ bad? Is it too gruesome? I know many who like one series don't like the other, so.. maybe Clock Tower 3?
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Old 05-03-2004, 10:53 AM   #104
Low Emissions
64-bit Poster

Rep Power: 13 Low Emissions is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Low Emissions
argh... can't... stand... Resident Evil series...

Sort of answer your question?

Lame stories, cheap thrills (if any at all), bad camera, worse controls... I guess it's just fair to say I hate the Resident Evil games.

hrmf.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:44 PM   #105
camoor
Saiga Gun Team Chief

Hypatia93,

Its an older PC game, but friends and I loved 7th Guest back in College. Its a classic.

I just finished the "Last Express". Excellent game. I'm going to let it sit awile, and then go back to find any extras I missed. There are two moments in the game that I found were simply excellent in their execution - I've never had a game experience quite like it.
camoor is offline   Reply With Quote