About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 08-15-2006, 09:41 AM   #1021
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Nah, I just suck at gaming, I fear. But I love it despite my foibles. That's why I started the other thread.

So no worries, shun, it's all good. I just wish the developers would /seriously/ make an "easy" level, if they put one in. (And damn it, put in! -- See other thread.)
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:46 PM   #1022
legendarypegasu
64-bit Poster

Rep Power: 13 legendarypegasu is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to legendarypegasu

I beat Atelier Iris 2 last night. Much like the first, its pretty average, but the alchemy system and item creation are a lot of fun to mess around with. The battle system has been tweaked from the first and the alchemy/item creation has been streamlined to make it more accessible and easier to use. Its biggest flaw is it doesn't have the charm of the first. The story isn't very interesting and the humor falls flat. If you liked the first or like item creation givt it a try, otherwise there are much better RPG's out there.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:24 PM   #1023
ChaosEmer
New Poster

Send a message via ICQ to ChaosEmer Send a message via AIM to ChaosEmer Send a message via MSN to ChaosEmer Send a message via Yahoo to ChaosEmer

I got through Panzer Dragoon Orta yesterday and I'm starting out with the submissions.

I just adore the music in Orta; it's even better than the already amazing graphics.
ChaosEmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:24 PM   #1024
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

finished Superstar Saga on the GBA this morning... that last boss was *atrociously hard*. i still have a hand cramp from clutching the DS in anger.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:22 AM   #1025
stratu
Golden Bug Collector

Beat Baten Kaitos last night. 70+ hours, two game crashes, lots of terrible voice acting, too-long battles (really sucks that you can't attack all members of the enemy party, only one at a time), a million boss battles including one total bullshit WTF one where you beat the dude (Geldoblame I think) then there's some dialogue, then you have to fight the EXACT SAME BATTLE AGAIN! The card system also made me scream "CHEAT!" at the screen a hundred million times when you keep getting dealt cards you can't use and the enemy just keeps whacking you.
Wait a minute... why did I play this game to the end again? Well, it looked very nice, the music was excellent (Motoi Sakuraba and his wild prog style, love it ) and the battles were fun when they were not annoying. Also, I grew to love the retarded battle taunts - "WATCH OUT! I'M NOT SO INNOCENT!" and, "YOU MUST BE IN A MAD PANIC!", etc.

I'll definitely get Baten Kaitos II: Origins when it comes out. ... It's a love/hate relationship!

EDIT: One of the greatest things about this game - and something I wish all games had - is that once you have heard a theme, you can then go to the Options screen and listen to it. So by the end of the game you have the full soundtrack and can listen to any track, any time. Pretty damn cool.

Last edited by stratu; 08-19-2006 at 05:11 AM.
stratu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:46 AM   #1026
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

I bought Baten Kaitos a few days ago for $14 at Toys R Us with a Soundtrack included for free.

The game is fun and beautiful so far, but I don't think I have the time to devote to RPGs anymore. I just don't find enough pleasure in walking around and talking to people, but for some reason, I keep buying them and playing them. What's the deal?
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 12:02 PM   #1027
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyAcolyte
I bought Baten Kaitos a few days ago for $14 at Toys R Us with a Soundtrack included for free.

The game is fun and beautiful so far, but I don't think I have the time to devote to RPGs anymore. I just don't find enough pleasure in walking around and talking to people, but for some reason, I keep buying them and playing them. What's the deal?
I think it might just be Baten Kaitos. It's just a boring game.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:26 PM   #1028
Dezlen
Luck be a lady

Beat Titan Quest last night (on normal, mind you). Typhon was my bitch. No deaths, until I started to farm him, then the deaths rolled in.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:29 PM   #1029
Jason Karney
Pixel King

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratu
Beat Baten Kaitos last night. Also, I grew to love the retarded battle taunts - "WATCH OUT! I'M NOT SO INNOCENT!" and, "YOU MUST BE IN A MAD PANIC!", etc.
I always liked unleashing Lyude's special attacks with whatever it was that he said, especially during the second movement of the battle theme. I'm with you on the Sakuraba soundtrack, and I think Baten Kaitos is one of his better works, there are some great pieces in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
I think it might just be Baten Kaitos. It's just a boring game.
Although the card-battles were fun (despite some balance issues), the story was somewhat lacking to me, although I was hard-pressed to say why.

One of these days I intend to write a review on it, but that's the gist of what I want to say.

Incidentally, the last game I completed was Tales of Legendia.

--Jason

Last edited by Jason Karney; 08-19-2006 at 10:33 PM.
Jason Karney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:14 PM   #1030
1stclass
8-Bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyAcolyte
This sounds a lot like me. For most of my life I would have said RPGs were by far my favorite type of video game. I finally gave up with the genre though after I bought big name RPG after big name RPG which were unanimously loved by others only to end up disliking them myself and never finishing them. Even when I was buying these games that I hated I still thought I loved the genre to death. Eventually I had to sit down and logically convince myself that I just didn't like RPGs anymore.

I know I have a soft spot for anything in a fantasy setting but I think the real problem is I grew attached to RPGs when I was younger and not as good at video games. RPGs are fairly complex, so if you can go through a whole playthrough (or more) before completely understanding the system it can be incredibly engrossing. There are only so many RPG tricks/strategies though and eventually you become smart enough to understand how any RPG works within an hour.

Really if you break it down RPGs involve only basic strategy, no twitch gameplay, next to no puzzle elements, but lots of 'experimentation' fun; unfortunately most of that fun can be lost by understanding how the game works too well.

Last edited by 1stclass; 08-19-2006 at 11:19 PM.
1stclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:48 AM   #1031
stratu
Golden Bug Collector

Just beat Silent Hill 3. Man, what a short game. Weird going from a 70+ hour (Baten Kaitos) to a 6 hour 23 minute game. I'm glad I got it cheap!

The game was a disappointment, sad to say. SH4: The Room may not have been up to the standard of SH2, but was still much better than this one. The thing was - and it's not a misogynistic thing, I swear; I really liked Heather - I just didn't care much about why Heather was in her Hell nearly as much as I cared about why James (SH2) and Henry (SH4) were in theirs. During the cutscenes I found myself saying, "Cults... deranged religions... ho hum... blah blah..." It was all kind of 'whatever'.

Oh well. The monsters were still cool. And those pink bunnies freaked me the hell out. And I have to say whoever did the voice for Douglas (the detective) was excellent. Perfect world-weary-yet-still-a-good-guy type voice, very much like Auron from FFX!

I still have high hopes for SH5. It's gotta do something totally awesome after RE4! .
stratu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:28 AM   #1032
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratu
Oh well. The monsters were still cool. And those pink bunnies freaked me the hell out. And I have to say whoever did the voice for Douglas (the detective) was excellent. Perfect world-weary-yet-still-a-good-guy type voice, very much like Auron from FFX!
My God, Auron? I think his voiceover is terrible!

"I foresee no difficulties."

"Calm down!"

"You don't want to move!"

Ech!

(Oh well, at least it's not as bad as Yuna and Tidus "laughter/larfter". Or Lulu's "Icing in the cake".
Old 08-25-2006, 11:33 AM   #1033
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Gears of War

And in answer to the questions that will likely follow, yes I'm writing the guidebook for it and no I will not tell you anything about it. Other than to buy it. Definitely buy it. And yes, I am bragging.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:04 PM   #1034
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroGamer
Gears of War

And in answer to the questions that will likely follow, yes I'm writing the guidebook for it and no I will not tell you anything about it. Other than to buy it. Definitely buy it. And yes, I am bragging.
Bitch.

I can't wait.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:12 PM   #1035
David Stone
One of uuuuuuussss....

Rep Power: 18 David Stone is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroGamer
Gears of War

Wow, for once you're worse than I am!
David Stone is offline   Reply With Quote