About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 07-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #1006
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

I was thinking of doing the time trials, but I got distracted by a few other games. I may get around to them though, I would like to know what it feels like to unlock all of the achievements... in any game, really. ; )

Speaking of which, a while ago I was playing Geometry Wars and I was totally in awe of your high score. I would really like to get at least one more achievement in that game, but it just kicks my ass... anyway, when I got back into it the other day to try again, I noticed that you had doubled your high score compared to what it was the last time I looked.

... you must not be human, dude. = )
Old 07-26-2006, 10:36 PM   #1007
technomancy
Registered LUser

Rep Power: 19 technomancy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC_Brad
I was thinking of doing the time trials, but I got distracted by a few other games. I may get around to them though, I would like to know what it feels like to unlock all of the achievements... in any game, really. ; )

Speaking of which, a while ago I was playing Geometry Wars and I was totally in awe of your high score. I would really like to get at least one more achievement in that game, but it just kicks my ass... anyway, when I got back into it the other day to try again, I noticed that you had doubled your high score compared to what it was the last time I looked.

... you must not be human, dude. = )

Pffft. The only reason I'm still playing that is because I'm still trying to catch up to the high scores of people on my friends' list. I don't care if I make the top of the regular leaderboards or even the top 500 -- I just want to be on the top of all my friends' lists. Could use more friends though.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:23 PM   #1008
mr_md
New Poster

It's been a while since I last visited, and I completed a bunch of games since then.

I picked up and finished Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone this past weekend. As far as games where you mindless but stylishly bash things go, it's pretty good. It took me forever to beat the dragon boss - very frustrating, but not that hard after you figure it out.

I also finished Resident Evil 4 for the second time, using some of the special weapons (Chicago Typewriter and the Infinite Launcher). It doesn't feel like the same game when you use them, but it's still great. I couldn't believe it when the first El Gigante fell in about 10 seconds.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door reminded me that I like RPGs. It got a little heavy on the "but first..."'s, but overall the game was really well done. It's quite a rush trying to stay alive against the last boss with only 5hp and no healing items or Boo's Sheets. I still prefer the original Mario RPG, however - maybe it's time to play through that again.

X-men Legends I and II were fun since I played them co-op, which I don't normally get a chance to do. I'm undecided about which one I like better. XML1 is a more cohesive and better produced game, but I think I had more fun shredding screenfuls of guys with Wolverine in XML2.

I finally played Metroid Prime and, yeah, it really is that good. The ramp in difficulty at the end is a bit frustrating, but other than that I can't complain. I'd like to try it again with some sequence breaking, but I suck at dash jumps and bomb jumps.
mr_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:55 PM   #1009
Snack Eater
64-bit Poster

Rep Power: 12 Snack Eater is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Snack Eater

Cold Winter--The story is generic, but the writing by Warren Ellis is frequently exceptional. It's a shame the villainy is so bland and the pace is so sluggish. The cutscenes are well directed, but perhaps overlong for an FPS. The gameplay in general is fun, with some nice environmental interaction, but aside from the totally ridiculous and immature gore it's pretty been-there-done-that. (I can understand going for realism, but why does every gun better than a pistol blow someone's head off?) The finale also leaves something to be desired. You just plant a few charges and blast a couple guys.

The Bouncer--Hey, it was only a couple bucks and I remembered renting it and sort of liking it for the presentation years ago. For some reason, I find myself to be a fan of simplistic beat-em-up gameplay. If the dialogue wasn't so weak and the characters more inspired--also if the plot branching was more significant, I'd actually really like the game. As it is, just 5 year old failure that nevertheless is sort of fun in a dumb old-school way.
-reading Infinite Jest (****)
Snack Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:09 AM   #1010
ASS-asn
the meaning of life below

Send a message via MSN to ASS-asn

I just beat My Mom
in the face
it was nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
Shinobi, on the other hand, was the opposite. I played it on normal thinking that my skills had rusted, but then I blazed through the game in about an hour and a half, and found it kinda boring due to my being so awesome. I'll remember stick to Super mode from now on.
for me it's especially the last boss that im having troubles with
i kind found a pattern to follow and what to do to get him almost down but never got him down completely
you must be shinobi god to take him on hardest difficulty !

can't allow myself to play nightshade if i haven't finished shinobi

(jk about beating my mom btw)

Last edited by ASS-asn; 07-29-2006 at 06:12 AM.
ASS-asn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:35 PM   #1011
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Well, I usually just run around like a pansy waiting for him to release all his little buddies. at that point I combo them all up, but slowish. My main problem was comboing them and then going after Hiruko while he's in the middle of a spell (so he's invulnerable). Now I try to hit the last guy while Hiruko is in the middle of a spell, because then he'll be finished (and vulnerable) by the time I get to him. It only takes 2 or 3 hits with a full combo.

And the best way to dodge that stupid attack combo he does is to jump and dash right before you think he'll appear. It takes a little practice to get the timing right, but after that it's not so bad.

And yes, you do need to be a Shinobi god to beat Hiruko on Super (or just amazingly lucky, as was my case ).

As for Nightshade, it's actually a little easier than Shinobi, so it might not be a bad idea to play it first.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:17 PM   #1012
technomancy
Registered LUser

Beat Prey. *yawn* I'd beat it on Cherokee to get the achievements (close to my first 1000 here), but it's too boring. If you remove death from a game, then why bother having an energy bar? There's a bunch of health pick ups all over the place, but they're useless since death doesn't have any meaning (it's just a temporary annoyance). Way to kill any tension you might have had there, guys.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:38 PM   #1013
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

I picked up Prey at wal-mart and read the back of the box. It gave me a vaguely racist feeling. Did anyone else get this, or was it just me?
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:24 AM   #1014
sleeveboy
VISUALSHOCK!

System Shock (PC, CD-ROM): Playing through this game has been an ordeal like none other. From the moment I bought it off eBay from this total jerk-off seller, to the two hours I spent trying to get it to work with full sound, to the frustrating (yet functional) pre-WASD controls, to the epileptic fit-inducing endgame versus SHODAN, I have uttered more profanities while playing this game than any other I can remember.

But I saw it through to the end, because twelve years after it first came out, this game is still fucking amazing. It's hard to believe that this game released the same year as DOOM II. Graphically, the game is slightly below DOOM caliber, but at the same time it's a little more advanced (the Ultima Underworld engine allowed for genuine 3D levels, making SS's levels much more complex and interesting). SS2 is a better game overall but I think SS has a better plot -- and better music, too. The only parts I can really find fault with are the cyberspace segments. Having the finale take place in cyberspace really deflates the ending, I think. It gives me unpleasant Lawnmower Man flashbacks.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #1015
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Boy, It's just you.

If anything, you should just be insulted that the gamemakers have chosen the desert to represent "the place of the Cherokee ancestors". Everyone knows the Cherokee are originally from North Carolina, not Arizona! And the trail of tears took them to Oklahoma, not the Southwest.

By the way, Trail of Tears was a great read. If interested on the fate of the Cherokee, definitely check it out.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:16 PM   #1016
technomancy
Registered LUser

"Beat" Dead Rising, though I hardly did any of the cases nor saved anyone. Got the bad ending because of it, I guess. At least I survived.

Playing through again.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:23 AM   #1017
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

I actually finished a game last week. (Yay for me! ) It was Hitman: Blood Money on the X360. And I did it just on Rookie mode. I still found the level of difficulty /extremely/ to be very hard. Now, I don't have the time to sink a terrible amount of time into games, so I do think that if something is supposed to be "easy" or "rookie," then damn it, be easy!

Anyone else feel that games are far too over the top in level of difficulty (I'm lookin' at you, too, Table Tennis). *psst* Doug, back me up on this. Please!
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:41 AM   #1018
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypatia93
I actually finished a game last week. (Yay for me! ) It was Hitman: Blood Money on the X360. And I did it just on Rookie mode. I still found the level of difficulty /extremely/ to be very hard. Now, I don't have the time to sink a terrible amount of time into games, so I do think that if something is supposed to be "easy" or "rookie," then damn it, be easy!

Anyone else feel that games are far too over the top in level of difficulty (I'm lookin' at you, too, Table Tennis). *psst* Doug, back me up on this. Please!
I found Blood Money to be quite easy, in fact. Of course, I beat the game in normal mode, but I imagine that even on the hardest difficulty, this game is a pussycat compared to its predecessors. In fact, the only instant where the game burdened me was the credit stage. But that's just, you know, the ills of using a PS2 gamepad.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:42 PM   #1019
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by shun
I found Blood Money to be quite easy, in fact. Of course, I beat the game in normal mode, but I imagine that even on the hardest difficulty, this game is a pussycat compared to its predecessors. In fact, the only instant where the game burdened me was the credit stage. But that's just, you know, the ills of using a PS2 gamepad.
Oh fine! Well I'm just a putz then.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:57 PM   #1020
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypatia93
Oh fine! Well I'm just a putz then.
I'm sorry. Didn't mean to offend you.

Maybe it's just a case where a certain genre the one where you play the best? I for one suck at racing games and RTS, but I'm good at platformers.

EDIT: At least you have an X360! Look at me, playing the game on PS2! I'm playing the ugliest Blood Money ever!