About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 07-15-2006, 06:53 AM   #991
Nossato
Keeper of the JRPG Cliche

Send a message via AIM to Nossato Send a message via Yahoo to Nossato
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Beat Lenneth and Freya in Star Ocean Til The End of Time. I had beaten the main story a while back but I decided to go back and see what all the fuss was about with these two bosses. Lots of fun and lots of levelling but I completely enjoyed this game from start to finish. I'm a sucker for JRPG cliches
Nossato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:18 AM   #992
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendarypegasu
I got the True Demon ending on SMT:Nocturne a couple days ago. One of the most addicting/tedious things I have ever done gaming wise. The ending in of itself isn't really worth it, but creating an all-powerful demon team was a lot of fun, b/c requires a lot of leveling and time spent trying to get the right abilties of the right demons.
Out of curiousity, were you aiming for a particular ending and then accidentally got True Demon? I only ask because I know that's what happened to me. I just wanted to see the bottom, was all! When I found out how it affected the final fight, I almost had a heart attack.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:46 AM   #993
footsack
New Poster

EA's Black rocked...especialy the bridge level. I'm all for slave labor and poor working conditions if some of us can be the beneficiary. Blood, sweat and tears equals fun.
footsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:07 PM   #994
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Beat Capcom Fighting Evolution on normal yesterday.

This game is so lame. The succession of my reaction for this game goes like: eh? - meh! - bleh! Capcom really isn't putting much effort into this game at all. The sprites are recycled, the fighting system is unrefined, and some moves that had been in the game where the characters originated were missing on this one. It's also funny seeing the fluidly animated Street Fighter III characters pit against the choppy 10-year-old sprite of Demitri from Darkstalker.

The only thing that motivates me to play this game is the ending: which is presented by well-drawn comic panels.

Right now, I'm playing Kingdom Hearts II and Steamboat Barnacles.

EDIT: Seeing the amount of posts in this thread, I just thought: shouldn't this thread be made sticky?

Last edited by shun; 07-18-2006 at 08:48 PM.
shun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:10 AM   #995
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

And again, I've got a legitimate reason to post.

Just beaten NSMB today, but without unlocking the secret worlds yet.

Reaction? See the New Super Mario Brothers thread. It didn't change throughout the course of my play.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:20 PM   #996
Song Jiang
Nicaraguense

Finished three games in the last three weeks - of course, they were all games that had been hanging around for a while!

NSMB - finished with all worlds unlocked. Fun, not too hard, but I'm too lazy to go for all of the big golden coins.

FFXII - Finished this after two months. Not bad, considering I took a whole year to finish FFX. Ok fun, but the battle system left me feeling too distant from the action for the most part. I also didn't really feel a connection with the hero of the story.

Sakura Taisen (PS2 remake) - Actually pretty fun, but made me feel extremely geeky. This series by itself kept the Dreamcast afloat for a while in Japan, due to its wild popularity with otakus. So what does that make me? I don't want to examine that issue too closely...
Old 07-24-2006, 01:35 PM   #997
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Been playing through some oldies-but-goodies lately, just for fun.

Mega Man X2, Megaman X3, Chaos Legion and, of course, Shinobi (PS2).

Unlike the original Mega Man series, in which I thought the decline of quality was more imagined than anything after playing through them all back to back (though MM8 DOES suck horribly), there is a very defined drop in the MMX series. I feel like I should go through 4, 5, and 6 just for completion's sake, but I'm not looking forward to it.

Chaos Legion is still cool, but it's a lot harder than I remembered as well. It was demeaning.

Shinobi, on the other hand, was the opposite. I played it on normal thinking that my skills had rusted, but then I blazed through the game in about an hour and a half, and found it kinda boring due to my being so awesome. I'll remember stick to Super mode from now on.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:38 PM   #998
David Stone
One of uuuuuuussss....

Rep Power: 18 David Stone is an unknown quantity at this point

I totally forgot to post in this thread...

I finished Phoenix Wright over the weekend. I took my time to examine everything and go through every scenario and answer. Top-class game. I plan to replay it just for some of the more fun moments. A second op is a-brewin'...
David Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:28 PM   #999
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Completed Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII and actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Not sure what all the negative press about this game is, other than it being completely different than what one expects from an FF game. I admit that I was a little thrown off at first and didn't enjoy it terribly in the first hour or two, but the more i played it and the more i understand how the game really works behind the scenes, the more i liked it. Also, the story is pretty cool. Really gives you a good idea on where Vincent came from (remember you found him lying in a coffin FFVII as a secret character who was asleep for 23 years).

I will say this though, if you hated CLoud because he was so moody and and constantly sulking, then you'll hate Vincent. He's even more gloomy than Cloud.

I'll have another guidebook giveaway shortly for this game and a couple others that might be desirable.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:34 PM   #1000
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
I feel like I should go through 4, 5, and 6 just for completion's sake, but I'm not looking forward to it.

You should at least play through X4. I think its the best in the series. The fact that you can play completely as Zero, and the fact that his special moves aren't so much guns, but actual special moves. It makes the boss fights feel like something in a fighting game. I enjoyed X4 more than the others, and replayed it a billion times. Its just so good, its the peak, I believe.

EDIT!: I beat Timesplitters: Future Perfect. Screw the naysayers, this game was fantastic. It actually has a tied together story, you play as the same person the entire time, and it is all quite enjoyable. Not to mention the wormhole sequences for some reason are a whole lot of fun, although they are just replaying part of the level.

Now to complete the challenges.

Last edited by FidgetyAcolyte; 07-25-2006 at 12:34 PM. Reason: I have beaten a game actually! I forgot to mention it! Sorry shun.
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:45 PM   #1001
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Damn, Fidgety! I was going to post the 1000th post from beating a game, but you beat me to it (without even beating a game!) And now I'm forced to post my anguish without beating a game too!

But woo! This thread just reached the 1000th post! I'm now going to collect the money I earned from my bets!

As for Boy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
Unlike the original Mega Man series, in which I thought the decline of quality was more imagined than anything after playing through them all back to back (though MM8 DOES suck horribly), there is a very defined drop in the MMX series. I feel like I should go through 4, 5, and 6 just for completion's sake, but I'm not looking forward to it.
Don't even get me started. Megaman is to Shun as Castlevania is to Bassbeast, so of course I'm quite angered at what capcom's been doing with the series. The last MMX that I finished was 6. It was my guilty pleasure, as opposed to MMX1,2,3,4, which weren't guilty pleasures because they simply do live up to a certain greatness.

I hated MMX7, and isn't anywhere close to looking forward for MMX8 and the inevitable sequels upon sequels. MM8 also sucked horribly. Voiceovers in it were highly embarrassing. Worthy of a dubious distinction of eye-rolling videogame moments.

My favorite MM are MM3, MMX, and MM:Legends 1 and 2. The okay ones are MM, MM2, MMX2, MMX4, MMZ, MMZ2, MMZ3, and MM Power Battles 1 and 2. The ones that I find guilty of enjoying are MMX5 and MMX6, because they suck yet I still liked it to a degree. The awful ones are MMX7, MMeXtreme 2.

I haven't significantly got into the rest.

Now I need to go back to beating a game.

EDIT: Wait, I have beaten a game! I beat NSMB again, this time unlocking the secret worlds and collecting all coins, and while the no apparent unlocked feature was blah, at least I made the 1000th reply with a legitimate reason. So...

*raises hand in victor*

Last edited by shun; 07-25-2006 at 10:06 AM.
shun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:19 PM   #1002
jdingo
32-bit Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to jdingo

I finished God of War today (July 25) on Spartan (Normal) difficulty.

It took about 15 hours, I suppose. I booted it up 11 times over the course of a month, before finishing it.

But that last boss fight with the God of War! What a bitch! It took me hours and hours to finish him off. There were times when I thought "I'm not going to be able to do this. I am becoming frustrated and maybe I'll just give up, walk away, not finish this."

And - get a load of this! - the game has a bug that surfaces only during the final boss fight. My PS2 froze up several times, forcing me to reset it, so I had to start the entire final sequence all over again. And not just once. Of all the places for this game to have a bug! During the final phase of the last fight against Ares, God of War? Jesus! And it happened three times! You have never - never! - heard the kind of language I hurled at the tv every time the PS2 froze on me.

The first freeze was odd: Ares smacked Kratos to the ground and Kratos bounced high up into the air, never coming down. I eventually found him, stuck in the sky in a swimming animation, complete with bubbles flowing away from him whenever I tried to move him.

The next two freezes happened immediately when I chose to "restart from last checkpoint".

What a shame to have such an awesome game spoiled by bugs during the final boss fight.

God of War is a high watermark for gaming, and it is one of the best games I have ever played on the PS2. The level design is excellent, the graphics are gorgeous, the gameplay is top-notch. It's just tons of fun.

And when Koji Igarashi first played God of War, I hope he felt deeply ashamed. It is far superior to anything he has churned out in recent years. God of War is everything that his games should be, but aren't.

- jdingo
jdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:49 PM   #1003
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who was driven crazy by that final battle. I can understand the challenges in trying to show how a god could be taken down, but it just felt really cheap and not in tune with the rest of the game. I know a lot of people complained about those spinning blades in the hades level, but I had a lot more difficulty with Ares than I did with those.

Oh, and to keep this on track, I finished Cloning Clyde two or three days ago, and Mega Man: Powered Up the day after that. Big thumbs up to both.

= )
Old 07-26-2006, 12:02 AM   #1004
G. Turner
New Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdingo
But that last boss fight with the God of War! What a bitch! It took me hours and hours to finish him off. There were times when I thought "I'm not going to be able to do this. I am becoming frustrated and maybe I'll just give up, walk away, not finish this."

And - get a load of this! - the game has a bug that surfaces only during the final boss fight. My PS2 froze up several times, forcing me to reset it, so I had to start the entire final sequence all over again. And not just once. Of all the places for this game to have a bug!
While I didn't encounter the same bug, I'm surprised at how many times I've encountered freeze/crash bugs during a final boss enounter. Two off the top of my head - Beyond Good & Evil (GCN) and Viewtiful Joe 2 (again, GCN). The Viewtiful Joe 2 one was especially maddening since it crashed right as I finally beat the game. Boy, I was so tempted to let my Wavebird fly that day!

To stay on topic, I finished two games in the last few days: Out of this World (Genesis) and Samurai Champloo: Sidetracked. Well, I 'kinda' finished Samurai Champloo - I finished the game with one of the characters. I'm currently playing through with the newly unlocked character, which normally I detest doing, but the game has some sort of freaky-deaky hold on me.

As far as Out of this World, it was my first full playthrough and I was hoping for a bit more in the ending department, but overall I thought it was a beautifully realized world with fantastic art design. A shame about some of the pixel-precision leaps and timing though, but I suppose that was the style at the time.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:49 AM   #1005
technomancy
Registered LUser

Rep Power: 19 technomancy is an unknown quantity at this point

Beat Cloning Clyde. Then I beat it all the Challenge Levels. Then I beat all levels within the par time.

This is the first game that I've scored all achievement points on. Shame it's just 200