About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 07-06-2006, 06:01 PM   #976
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Send a message via MSN to Adelleda
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Quote:
The MGS series does seem to ignore some pretty big plot points from previous games. I was disappionted by no mention of Meryl in MGS2, however, I'm glad to see her in 3.
Am i missing something here? Do you mean 4? I don't remember seeing meryl in mgs3 about 20 years before she was even born....
Adelleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #977
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Just finished Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend on "adventure" difficulty. It was fun. Took about 9.5 hours to finish and I wound up getting 600 of 1000 Achievement Points on the initial playthrough. I've decided to forego doing the time trials and searching for the remaining rewards though as I feel I got my fill of the game.

The final boss battle was pretty lame, but the ending cinematic was cool. Definitely recommend the game on sale or as a rental, but not really worth $50, IMO. Although I did enjoy it. It's the gaming equivalent of ordering pizza for dinner -- nothing fancy, but it tastes good and will hold you over till breakfast.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:36 PM   #978
Chaos Wielder
16-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shun
Beaten Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves a few minutes ago, and is still a little dazed at how fun this game is.

It's been years since I've played through an entire platformer game. Sly 3 is just plain fantastic. It's everything a gamer could ever ask for: graphics, story, controls, music, fun, variety, challenges, etc. The only complaint I have is that it's a little too short.
That sounds like how I felt about Sly 1. Seems like a decently lengthed platformer is an impossibility nowadays.
Chaos Wielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:14 PM   #979
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Wielder
That sounds like how I felt about Sly 1. Seems like a decently lengthed platformer is an impossibility nowadays.
Well, Sly 3 isn't really all that short, per se, but the story got cut off just when...

SPOILER:

...you've completed the gang. I felt like I didn't play Demitri or Panda King enough

END SPOILER

It's still worth the purchase though. You will love it. Your kids will love it. Your girlfriend will love it. Anyone who's got a soft spot for cartoons will love it.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:16 PM   #980
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroGamer
Just finished Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend on "adventure" difficulty. It was fun. Took about 9.5 hours to finish and I wound up getting 600 of 1000 Achievement Points on the initial playthrough. I've decided to forego doing the time trials and searching for the remaining rewards though as I feel I got my fill of the game.

The final boss battle was pretty lame, but the ending cinematic was cool. Definitely recommend the game on sale or as a rental, but not really worth $50, IMO. Although I did enjoy it. It's the gaming equivalent of ordering pizza for dinner -- nothing fancy, but it tastes good and will hold you over till breakfast.
Okay, few questions, before I go out to buy this game:

How's the controls? Does Lara still control like tank? Or did they improve on this significantly?

How's the camera?

How does this game compare to PoP?

And lastly, what's "adventure" difficulty? Is this like the "normal" mode for the game?
Old 07-07-2006, 12:40 AM   #981
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelleda
Am i missing something here? Do you mean 4? I don't remember seeing meryl in mgs3 about 20 years before she was even born....

Hah, you're right. I meant 4. I feel like such a Metal Gear n00b now.
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:17 AM   #982
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

No, she doesn't control like a tank. She controlled pretty well, actually. Adventure difficulty = normal. The camera can suck at times, but the gameplay isn't too frenzied so it's not too bad of a problem. Cameras are my pet-peeve and this one wasn't a showstopper. As for the Prince of Persia comparisons, this was kind of like POP-lite. The action was less annoying and there were fewer battles, but the puzzles and exploration never truly reached POP's level of grandeur and sophistication. But the game was cool, though. I'd score it a 7 out of 10.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:10 AM   #983
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Dig Dug: Digging Strike...blech...
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:08 PM   #984
sleeveboy
VISUALSHOCK!

Beat System Shock 2 (PC) a couple days ago.

I actually liked this a little more than Deus Ex. It has the same RPG elements, but the gameplay and overall atmosphere are much more intense. And with the SHTUP (high-res textures) mod and Rebirth textures, it looks just as good, if not better than Deus Ex. Best survival horror game ever.

By the way, those of you who think that Hideo Kojima represents the pinnacle of video game storytelling really need to take a look at the System Shock series and Deus Ex. There's no comparison.

Next up: System Shock 1 (if I can get the thing to work on my PC) and Neverwinter Nights.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:46 PM   #985
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

If you do figure out how to get System Shock 1 running, please tell my your secret. I've been trying for years now. :P
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:21 PM   #986
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

Where can I get these system shock 2 mods? I just got it running on my laptop and i would love to spice it up if possible.

Keeping in tradition with the thread, I just beat Zone of the Enders 2: The 2nd Runner.

The story was blah, but the cutscenes were fun to watch and the graphics were some of the best I've seen on the Ps2. But the combat is where the game truly shines. If only they could somehow include a greater variety of enemies and a lot more stages.

All in all, great game, highly suggest since its probably only about $15 now.
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:49 AM   #987
sleeveboy
VISUALSHOCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyAcolyte
Where can I get these system shock 2 mods? I just got it running on my laptop and i would love to spice it up if possible.
SHTUP high-res texture mod (makes a huge difference)
Rebirth mod: (New, more modern-looking textures for the Hybrids, Midwives, Cyborg Assassins, and dead bodies)
Rebirth Beta 01 "Complimented" version: Different Midwife skin (more faithful to the original design), new Monkey and Rumbler skins
Old 07-14-2006, 06:56 PM   #988
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

Are you supposed to use all of those modes layered on top of each other, or just choose one?

I'm interested in trying the mods... but SS2 has been a favorite of mine for a long time now, so I'm not sure I'd appreciate any type of change. And the game animates rather poorly... my guess is that these poor animations will stand out even more on top of high res textures.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:50 PM   #989
sleeveboy
VISUALSHOCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou
Are you supposed to use all of those modes layered on top of each other, or just choose one?
Use them together (although the Rebirth "complement" mod is intended as a substitute for the original Rebirth mod with its controversial Midwife redesign). They look great, trust me.

Quote:
I'm interested in trying the mods... but SS2 has been a favorite of mine for a long time now, so I'm not sure I'd appreciate any type of change. And the game animates rather poorly... my guess is that these poor animations will stand out even more on top of high res textures.
Let me clarify. The Rebirth mod doesn't provide just skins; it adds completely redone and reanimated 3D models. There's no reason not to check them out. Next to the high-res wall textures, they look fab.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:08 PM   #990
legendarypegasu
64-bit Poster

Rep Power: 13 legendarypegasu is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to legendarypegasu

I got the True Demon ending on SMT:Nocturne a couple days ago. One of the most addicting/tedious things I have ever done gaming wise. The ending in of itself isn't really worth it, but creating an all-powerful demon team was a lot of fun, b/c requires a lot of leveling and time spent trying to get the right abilties of the right demons.
legendarypegasu is offline   Reply With Quote