About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 06-25-2006, 11:21 PM   #961
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

You can be a bad guy if you want! Steambot Chronicllllllllleeeeesss!

Awesome game, awesome ending. 35~ hours all told, probably about 25 of which were spent dicking around in dungeons, working as a bus driver, helping out out orphans, whatever. My only imaginary complaint would be that the fighting was too easy, but in actuality it didn't matter. That's not what you play Steambot for.

Highly recommended, A++, praise, gush, etc.

Oh, and I also did Julius mode on DSvania too. It seemed like more of a hack of the game than a legitimate mode, but it was reasonably fun, barring the fight with Abbadon. Playing as Richter in SotN was better though.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:57 AM   #962
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I finally beat Thief II: The Metal Age.

It took a good five years and somewhere around 200 hours for me to finally get through it, but I did it. The problem was that I felt like I had to replay the game from the beginning whenever I ended up setting it aside for months at a time...

As for why the game kept getting set aside... The levels are just too damn long, especially if you attempt to sneak through them (which is necessary). The game's final mission alone must have taken me at least 15 hours to play through, which is ridiculous. Games need to have a suitable stopping point at most every three hours.

Also, every mission kindof feels the same. When playing the first Thief, I found myself constantly wishing that every mission was a stealth mission... because those sections were far more interesting than the exploration based ones. Well, that's exactly what I got in Thief II, and now I miss the old variety.

And the game * must * be played at night, which is sometimes hard to arrange...

Still, despite its flaws, it was good enough that I did keep returning to it over and over again. There are very few games I would do that once for, let alone half a dozen times.

Anyway... onward to the fan missions!

Last edited by Zanbatou; 06-26-2006 at 06:07 AM.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:30 AM   #963
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

Just beat Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

Beautiful game. Everything is so well done in it, I don't think I can think of a single thing wrong. Am I the only one that gets choked up at the ending everytime?
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:29 AM   #964
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I went ahead and beat Culdcept... the story mode, anyway. Seems like there's a fun game there, but the ai doesn't know what its doing at all.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:27 AM   #965
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Yay! Finally beaten a game again!

I finished Hitman Blood Money today, and although I think it's a fun game, IMO the last two levels are a drag (including the level you play with the credits rolling).

[SPOILERS] In particular, I just can't buy the final showdown between the Agent with some janitor agent! I just sniped him, and job done. It was supposed to be the climactic moment, yet in lots of ways I had easier time with this than the showdown I had with the devil of the previous stage. Phooeeey!

I also hated the requiem level. I played the game with the PS2 and I'm betting that at this point everyone knows how awful it is to play FPS or Third person shooters with the dual shock. I died in that level way too many times.

[/SPOILERS]

I like the game though, and will replay it sometime soon. I somehow managed to beat the game almost without using any guns at all, save the last 3 ones.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:31 PM   #966
Boy

I beat the original Final Fantasy on the PS1 origins collection. I played it on normal mode, so it brought all the good and bad pf being a relic. I don't think I would've been able to stomach the game without that save-anywhere memo file. I'm glad I saw it through though. It was interesting to see how sophisticated the game is, all things considered. I'll probably play it on easy mode at some point, just for fun. White mages suck btw.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:51 AM   #967
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Just beat Resident Evil 4 (normal difficulty). Great game- it's very hard to find a game that length which never gets stale. There were so many variations on the basic action gameplay, it felt like it could go on forever. My favorite parts were the levels 3-4 and 4-1. 3-4 was where you play as Ashley. (Survival without weapons! Yay!) 4-1 was a game-within-a-game: it wasn't Resident Evil anymore so much as a short Zelda game with a Resident Evil style, and it climaxed with one of the most amazing boss fights ever (as you wait for the elevator).

Oh, and I didn't like most of the island (or Assignment Ada) much: I'm not a fan of conventional action games. The bosses were cool, though, and there was lots of good stuff with the Dragon's Lair system.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:49 AM   #968
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Send a message via MSN to Adelleda

Problem with the fight waiting for the elevator is, you find a rocket launcher a few rooms before it, if you didn't waste it the boss is over in the amount of time it takes to freeze him and shoot him. I liked the entire avoiding attacks thing before the boss though, that was creepy.

My favourite boss in RE4 was "It" in the suspended cage.
Adelleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:56 PM   #969
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I didn't see the rocket launcher.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:56 PM   #970
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Send a message via MSN to Adelleda

Its just layed on some random red table with a load of other ammo. in the area with the bridge you have to raise up i think.
Adelleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:18 PM   #971
Boy

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile. So short it didn't even grace my "now playing" list, and I still got 100%. The graphics make me thankful that the age of rendered sprites has finally ended. Otherwise a cool game, though I kinda like the second one better.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:01 PM   #972
sleeveboy
VISUALSHOCK!

Knights of the Old Republic (PC): Beat it for the second time last night, this time as a Light Side Scoundrel/Consular. In retrospect, even though the puzzles and the plot are a little bit stronger than those of the sequel, KOTOR 2 does everything else better. Still, I enjoyed both games immensely.

And those of you who haven't yet tried KOTOR 2, perhaps because of negative word-of-mouth from this website, really ought to do so. I'm actually thinking of writing a Second Opinion on it.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:40 AM   #973
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeveboy
Knights of the Old Republic (PC): Beat it for the second time last night, this time as a Light Side Scoundrel/Consular. In retrospect, even though the puzzles and the plot are a little bit stronger than those of the sequel, KOTOR 2 does everything else better. Still, I enjoyed both games immensely.

And those of you who haven't yet tried KOTOR 2, perhaps because of negative word-of-mouth from this website, really ought to do so. I'm actually thinking of writing a Second Opinion on it.
I played KOTOR I on the XBOX when it first came out a Millenium (Falcon) ago. (Sorry, had to.) I ran into the "infamous" glitch. But I really enjoyed myself despite it all.

And yes, I've heard /all/ of the negative reports, and not /just/ from this site. But you want /me/ to believe /you/ that the KOTOR II is somehow worth playing? (Not anytime soon, mind you, as I'm still.. that's right.. Lost in Oblivion.)

How so?
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:19 AM   #974
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

I just beat Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake for the MSX via Subsistence.

You guys weren't joking when you said this really shows the beginnings of the MGS series. Its almost like an exact replica of the first MGS with a different story/characters.

It was a very fun experience, although the boss battles were very easy, and the "trick" that took out each one wasn't really a trick. They were really as simple as throwing grenades. Even Big Boss was rather disappointing.

None-the-less, it still had all the staples of a great MGS game.

Although, one of the largest story points in the game was almost completely unmentioned even in this game

SPOILER

Gray Fox aka Frank Jaeger aka Cyber Ninja is the one who killed his long lost love Gustava! She mentions her love Frank Hunter, and then Kasler explains that Jaeger means "Hunter" in german I believe. You'd think that Ninja would have mentioned this in MGS in some way.

/SPOILER

The MGS series does seem to ignore some pretty big plot points from previous games. I was disappionted by no mention of Meryl in MGS2, however, I'm glad to see her in 3.
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:27 AM   #975
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Beaten Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves a few minutes ago, and is still a little dazed at how fun this game is.

It's been years since I've played through an entire platformer game. Sly 3 is just plain fantastic. It's everything a gamer could ever ask for: graphics, story, controls, music, fun, variety, challenges, etc. The only complaint I have is that it's a little too short.