About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 05-20-2006, 10:49 PM   #946
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

New Super Mario Bros. Last night anyways.

I'm really torn on this game. There are a few instances where I've given a game my blessing becuase, even though the gameplay may've sucked, it did everything else so well. Killer 7, Drakengard and Shenmue are a few examples.

Now here we have the opposite problem. The gameplay, IMO, is top notch. Everything else...not so much. But it's so FUN. What do I do?! It's like dating an empty-headed hot chick. I don't know if I should feel bad about it or not.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:42 AM   #947
Reharl

I have now beaten World of Warcraft.

Oh yes I have.

Reharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:34 PM   #948
legendarypegasu
64-bit Poster

Rep Power: 12 legendarypegasu is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to legendarypegasu

I beat Half-life 2 (Xbox) last night. Simply an incredible game, I see what all the ruckus is all about. Its in the top ten of all time, and I don't even like FPS;
Old 05-23-2006, 01:03 AM   #949
fishgills7
Tatsmaksenpuken

Also beat New Super Mario Bros.

I've got my gripes with a few gameplay quirks (the powerup system is crap), but in general, it's a great throwback to 2D Mario games. The main issue with the game is that it is most definitely based on the original Super Mario Bros., with the same feel to the gameplay. It makes the game seem a little redundant at points, which makes you question why the game exists. But then it's so damn fun that you feel ridiculous for asking.

I must say though, the level structure, with the special coins and the secret paths, really really really liven up the gameplay. I haven't been able to put this game down since I got it, and I've probably played a few levels upwards to a dozen times looking for all the coins or that one secret exit. The overworld is a little dead, definitely not as intriguing as Mario World or Mario 3, but instead (like most things about NSMB), somewhere between Mario 3 and the original. There's lots of alternate paths, but everything still feels very linear and a little too streamlined. It just doesn't feel like a cohesive world in the way of Mario 3.

Playing through this game leaves me with one big big question: when is Nintendo going to make New Super Mario Bros. 3? NSMB just seemed limited by an imposed retro ideal. The original Mario Bros. was a great game, but Mario 3 was better. Why didn't Nintendo base the core gameplay on Mario 3 instead? Would it feel too much like Mario World? Oh well.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:41 PM   #950
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

Just beat Headhunter: Redemption. Pretty fun game, especially when compared to the first one.

The gunplay mechanics are rather fun, I never got tired of being in gunfights, even if they were all easily won. Why did this game get such bad reviews (except from here, which is what I went on.)
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #951
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 27 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Just beat Project Gotham Racing 3, roughly 55 hours after I bought the X360. I mostly have just Silver trophies at this point, so i'm still working on going back and making them all gold. There's a lot of Achievements I have to get yet though, too.

When I first started playing it I thought the menu-navigation and organization of the game was too fluffy and not nearly as user-friendly as PGR2, and to be honest I didn't like it as much at first. PGR2 is still my favorite, but PGR3 has some unique aspects that I really like. It's still hell of a lot of fun to play and as I found out eventually, for every seemingly obtuse way to do something in the game -- picking a car for starters, there are backdoor streamlined options as well.

Now if only I could ever find someone online doing the Career races...
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:47 PM   #952
Dezlen
Luck be a lady

Just beat FEAR. Good game, but the only reason I think I finished it was because I heard it was short. I think I put 15-17 hours into it. Good plot, creepy atmosphere, but I was hoping for more.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:00 AM   #953
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 27 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Beat Prey a few times in the past two weeks for work. Definitely the most entertaining FPS I've played in a long while. The first one in the genre to not suffer from the tedium and malaise that always settles in after 6 hours or so. I think a demo hits next week. Get it.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:07 AM   #954
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroGamer
Beat Prey a few times in the past two weeks for work. Definitely the most entertaining FPS I've played in a long while. The first one in the genre to not suffer from the tedium and malaise that always settles in after 6 hours or so. I think a demo hits next week. Get it.
I know I can hardly wait!
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 09:48 AM   #955
Boy

Well, Magna Carta is done. That game is kinda long, and I don't really know how I feel about it. The scenario planning or whatever isn't all that hot. 75% of all plot twists are telegraphed hours away, so when it happens it's just "oh". But the story itself is pretty good.

The battle system, IMO, has a lot of potential, and it's really awesome when it's at it's best. When it's not, however, it can get really tedious. If I have to fight another Flaron, I will...be highly annoyed.

I dunno, it seemed like a fan-made Final Fantasy installment or something, with a nifty battle system. It was kind of endearing in a way, but nothing spectacular. On to Steambot Chronicles, finally...
Old 06-12-2006, 05:38 PM   #956
strech
32-bit Poster

Well, I beat Half-Life 2 : Episode One. Talked about it more on the other thread - $20.00 is a fair amount for a 6 hour game, but the commentary and the quality mean it's worth it.
strech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:45 PM   #957
Boy

I sorta beat DSvania. I mean, I fought some not-all-that-special boss, the main characters patted each other on the back for a little bit, and decided to go home. Clearly, this is not the ending that was intended, but I saw credits, so it is beaten.

It was pretty fun actually, but I think that opinion has a lot to do with the fact that I haven't played a Metroidvania since SotN. I was kinda annoyed to see some SotN sprites STILL being reused though.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:51 PM   #958
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Send a message via MSN to Adelleda

Beat the main quest of Morrowind:Tribunal. I bought the goty edition the other day, i'm so glad they fixed the journal.
Adelleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:40 AM   #959
Nossato
Keeper of the JRPG Cliche

Send a message via AIM to Nossato Send a message via Yahoo to Nossato

Finished up the main quest of Tales of Legendia. Now seven character quests just opened up. Good times!
Nossato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:27 PM   #960
sleeveboy
VISUALSHOCK!

Beat KOTOR 2 (PC) this weekend.

While I appreciated the additions they made (more/better feats, prestige classes, engine tweaks), and thought the characters were a lot stronger and better written than the previous game, I think the original had a little more polish. KOTOR 1 had better puzzles and a better storyline overall. Regardless, these are the top two RPGs released this past generation, far exceeding anything that came out of Japan.