About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 03-24-2006, 02:59 AM   #916
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

I just finished F.E.A.R on the PC.

The game is a technical marvel with excellent graphics and sound effects and some pretty damn good AI as well. But that's it. The gameplay was utterly forgettable, the game was moderately scary for maybe 15 minutes of the 8-10 hours it took to complete. I could easily add F.E.A.R to Shun's thread about games you can't remember anything from.

I just beat the game and the only thing I can remember is that the ending comes very abruptly and your left not necessarily wanting more, but feeling cutoff.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:51 AM   #917
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

Finished the fifth and final case in Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. My recommendation: once you pass the third case, take a few weeks off the game. Playing straight through was tiring, even though the last two cases are very entertaining (the fourth moreso than the fifth, though). 6 out of 10.
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:46 AM   #918
beatbass
New Poster

Just finished shadow of the colossus, and fucking hated it. All you did is wander from place to place looking for a big boss to fight. There was hardly any dialogue or story, and cut scenes were as few and far between as the big bosses. Could't even walk up behind someone and snap their neck in two - it was so lonely and boring out there. The game could have taken a leaf out of the metal gear series - now *there* was something solid you could get your teeth into.
beatbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:05 PM   #919
legendarypegasu
64-bit Poster

Rep Power: 13 legendarypegasu is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to legendarypegasu

I beat Golden Sun, the first gameboy game I have every played. I actually liked it enough, a nice throwback to SNES era RPG's. I was surprised how strategic the combat system was, even if the strategy elements were only apparent with the last few bosses. The story and character development were both very poor. But I liked it and it made me look foward to playing Lost Age, which I guess was the purpose of the game.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:18 PM   #920
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

I had to scrape this thread out somewhere out of 2-3 page of forums. What the hell are you people doing talking about Rev, 360 and PS3 all day without even finding the time to beat a game? Don't let this thread die!

I just love it when I get a legitimate reason to post.

I beat Onimusha 4 on Normal difficulty today, with each character at level 99 and beaten all the test of valor (but not the dark realm). It's got everything any kind of gamer could ask for: action, puzzle, RPG, collecting items, time trials, cool characters, great story (not really novel but very well executed), fabulous ending, and wonderful voice acting. 'Twas truly a spectacular game. I enjoyed this a lot more than Devil May Cry 3 and even Resident Evil 4 (don't flame me, please. ) 9/10

However, I did have a bad experience with this game.

SPOILERS BELOW, IN RED:

I pretty much didn't use any walkthrough while playing this game, which is something I'm a little proud of, but since I don't have that much time on my hands to discover how to level up fast, I had to go to Gamefaqs and have a cursory glance at the Message Boards. You know, I just realized how tactless some posters right there can be. They post topics with headers such as "Sad ending..." with or without stating it's a spoiler. I mean, c'mon! Reading the header alone is a spoiler! These people are not practicing restrains in not revealing stories now, are they?

Fortunately, I loved the ending, even though it was "sad". And Jubei kicked ass!

SPOILERS CONTINUE, SO DON"T READ THE QUOTE AND MY REPLY IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE, um, SPOILED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypatia93
One question, does it have the same samurai from 1 & 3 in it? (Sorry, can't remember his name atm, but he is one of the better looking fellows in pixilated gaming. )
He does, but you don't know this until the end that he was there all along. He probably still qualifies as good looking (I really wouldn't know. I pay no attention to good looking guys) but he's old.

END SPOILER

Oh, and Hyp, aren't you gonna change avatar?
Old 04-17-2006, 03:12 PM   #921
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by shun
SPOILERS BELOW, IN RED:

I pretty much didn't use any walkthrough while playing this game, which is something I'm a little proud of, but since I don't have that much time on my hands to discover

Fortunately, I loved the ending, even though it was "sad". And Jubei kicked ass!

SPOILERS CONTINUE, SO DON"T READ THE QUOTE AND MY REPLY IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE, um, SPOILED.

He does, but you don't know this until the end that he was there all along. He probably still qualifies as good looking (I really wouldn't know. I pay no attention to good looking guys) but he's old.

END SPOILER

Oh, and Hyp, aren't you gonna change avatar?
SPOILER

Shun! You must know me AWFULLY well already if you answer my question AND ask me another one in a SPOILER!

Anyway.. I'm /so/ glad he's back! And is Jubei the /same/ Jubei as in 2?

And to answer your question: Yes, I'd planned on it, but it doesn't fit. I don't know how to fix it.

END SPOILERS
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:14 PM   #922
crisdecuba
Luke 9:23

Send a message via AIM to crisdecuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou
Originally posted by Dean_Siren:

*slight Pikmin spoiler, I guess*

By clear path to the boss do you mean that at the beginning of the day you can run right in and begin to fight him? Because if so I don't think you can do any more preparation (aside from amassing a larger army). I believe he recharges his health at night, so you have to strain to beat him in one day no matter what.

However, if you must both clear a path to him *and* fight him all in the same day, you'll likely have some problems. I'd like to know if that's even possible, actually.
Yup - it's actually possible (though insanely difficult in my opinion) to beat the game in 9 days, with only 1 day used for the last level + boss. Crazy.

~Cris
Old 04-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #923
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Quote:
Anyway.. I'm /so/ glad he's back! And is Jubei the /same/ Jubei as in 2?
I've never played Onimusha 2. Actually, I've never played any other Onimusha prior to this one, but I know the protagonists of the previous trilogy is named Samanosuke, who's based on a real life Japan actor (and a sensation among Asians) Takeshi Kaneshiro. Regarding Jubei, I'm not so sure, but I'm guessing it's not the same, as Jubei is usually a male as represented in most Japan literatures. In Onimusha 4, Yagyu Jubei is a girl (probably in the high school age). An ass kicking female, no less.

Regarding your avatar: send me the ones you want to make avatar. I'll fix it for you. Would that be ok?
Old 04-18-2006, 12:10 PM   #924
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Hmm..

Don't you find it odd that there would be two Jubeis. One in 2 that's a guy, and one in 4 that's a grrl. Weird. Unless he went to the Netherlands and got that sex change he always dreamed of. Yep, that's gotta be it.

I sent that e-mail to you. Vielen danken.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Old 04-18-2006, 09:14 PM   #925
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Quote:
Hmm..

Don't you find it odd that there would be two Jubeis. One in 2 that's a guy, and one in 4 that's a grrl. Weird. Unless he went to the Netherlands and got that sex change he always dreamed of. Yep, that's gotta be it.

I sent that e-mail to you. Vielen danken.
Your theory would've been pretty weird! If the guy jubei went to have a sex change then why is Oni 4's Jubei such a tomboy? S/he's starting to regret the sex change? :P

This is a minor spoiler:

But I think Oni 2's Jubei is Oni 4 Jubei's Grandfather. It seems that, as explained in the story, the name Yagyu Jubei gets passed down from generation to generation, and those who inherits such name has to live up to the legend.

End spoiler.

Dammit, Hyp, just go play Oni 4 so that we can stop exchanging silly questions and answers!
Old 04-19-2006, 12:39 PM   #926
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by shun
Your theory would've been pretty weird! If the guy jubei went to have a sex change then why is Oni 4's Jubei such a tomboy? S/he's starting to regret the sex change? :P

This is a minor spoiler:

But I think Oni 2's Jubei is Oni 4 Jubei's Grandfather. It seems that, as explained in the story, the name Yagyu Jubei gets passed down from generation to generation, and those who inherits such name has to live up to the legend.

End spoiler.

Dammit, Hyp, just go play Oni 4 so that we can stop exchanging silly questions and answers!
Fine!

I bought it last night, for your information. *harumph* (My boys at Gamestop sold me a new copy at used prices. And no, I'm /not/ spoiled. ) That doesn't mean I'll get around to it anytime soon, though. I'm still having /way/ too much fun with Oblivion. (Do you have an X360?) And I have to finish Oni 3, which I'd actually started right before Oblivion came out. (Woops!) I'll /try/ and get to it, though, honest. It's just that "damned" Oblivion that keeps monopolizing my every waking gaming thought. Too weird, eh?
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Old 04-19-2006, 09:04 PM   #927
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Quote:
Fine!

I bought it last night, for your information. *harumph* (My boys at Gamestop sold me a new copy at used prices. And no, I'm /not/ spoiled. ) That doesn't mean I'll get around to it anytime soon, though. I'm still having /way/ too much fun with Oblivion. (Do you have an X360?) And I have to finish Oni 3, which I'd actually started right before Oblivion came out. (Woops!) I'll /try/ and get to it, though, honest. It's just that "damned" Oblivion that keeps monopolizing my every waking gaming thought. Too weird, eh?
Enjoy your oblivion then. I still don't have a X360 (I'll probably buy one sometime early next year, and I'm quite positive Oblivion will be my first game). I'm waiting until I have saved enough money to feel comfortable about spending a few amount on X360. Besides, I still have a tons of other games to finish.

I'm currently playing Suikoden V, by the way. To LegPeg:I'll probably keep you updated on my impressions for this game quite soon, since I'm going pretty far into it.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #928
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Oh shun,

I didn't mean to make you feel bad. So I'm sorry.

It's just that in all honesty, I haven't been /this/ addicted to a game is such a long time, and I just want to ride the wave. You know what I mean? I could /force/ myself to play something else, but I don't think it would be as fun right now, that's all. And I wasn't trying to rub anything in, I was just trying to get you to get a 360 so as to share in my jubilation. Does that make any sense?
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Old 04-20-2006, 08:49 PM   #929
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Quote:
Oh shun,

I didn't mean to make you feel bad. So I'm sorry.

It's just that in all honesty, I haven't been /this/ addicted to a game is such a long time, and I just want to ride the wave. You know what I mean? I could /force/ myself to play something else, but I don't think it would be as fun right now, that's all. And I wasn't trying to rub anything in, I was just trying to get you to get a 360 so as to share in my jubilation. Does that make any sense?
Nah, don't feel bad about me. In time I'll be able to play oblivion whether by buying an X360 or upgrading my PC (it's more likely I'll do the former). I understand how you feel. Oblivion must've been a really great game if that's the case. Can't wait to get rich.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:46 PM   #930
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

Beat Vandal Hearts. I bought it on the cheap thinking it was a rarity, but it wasn't. However, I did remember hearing good things about it from here.

I always love a good Strat RPG. Pretty good game, decent story, good length. I didn't attempt to find all the keys for all 7 trials, I figured i can wait until the DS version comes out to replay it and get all trials.

Good game tho, thanks for the recommendation guys!

Up next: Tales of Symphonia! or Metroid Prime 2
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote