About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 01-12-2006, 02:27 PM   #856
Kin Korn Karn

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Well, then it will be tougher, that is for sure.

I have yet to finish on hard. Omega Pirate is a bitch!
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:18 PM   #857
k8to
Chief Mallard

I "beat" SSX again, in that I maxed out another character. Moby this time.

I finished We <3 Katamari the other day. I was not pleased with there being a game during the credits that wasn't clear and you can't restart once you "die'. Also, why did they leave the cowbear level in? Music generally was a couple notches below the original. Level design was pretty fun.
k8to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:05 AM   #858
1stclass
8-Bit Poster

Okay, I beat Metroid Prime on hard mode. I definitely enjoyed the game more this time around. Besides the added difficulty, I think I enjoyed it more because I've accepted the controls since when I last put down the game. The 'its not a FPS' controls makes it feel more metroidy (probably the game's best quality), but I still find it frustrating occasionally.

Man, you weren't kidding about Omega Pirate. By far, he was the hardest part. I'm a bit worried that the number of missles and energy tanks required to beat him on hard will make speedy playthroughs much less speedy, or just insanely difficult.
1stclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:54 AM   #859
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Berserk! What a great game. Well, I mean, what a decent game that really does the Berserk universe justice. As a game itself, it's a somewhat basic kill-everything deal, an can get repetative from time to time. But given that this is Berserk we're talking about here, it couldn't be any more fitting. And the animations, which I've mentioned before, are just that good. It's not only Guts, but the regular enemies and bosses like Zodd are all very carefully animated in the same way.

I was pretty disappointed in the Dreamcast game. While it was an ok beat-em-up that had the look of Berserk, it really lost it's luster in motion. It was as if Guts' sword was made out of styrofoam, and there wasn't any "meat" to the blows. It was like striking at a bunch of holograms. Not to mention most of the game took place in various cramped hallways, as opposed to the wide open killing fields of the manga. The PS2 game pretty much fixed all this, and then some.

And I do love the engrish. Raise the Level!
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:46 PM   #860
Low Emissions
64-bit Poster

Rep Power: 12 Low Emissions is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Low Emissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
I was pretty disappointed in the Dreamcast game. While it was an ok beat-em-up that had the look of Berserk, it really lost it's luster in motion. It was as if Guts' sword was made out of styrofoam, and there wasn't any "meat" to the blows. It was like striking at a bunch of holograms. Not to mention most of the game took place in various cramped hallways, as opposed to the wide open killing fields of the manga. The PS2 game pretty much fixed all this, and then some.
I liked it, like I said, but at the same time I agree that the enemies were kind of like 'holograms'... I remember if you hit them correctly they would just kind of slice in half, like a knife through warm butter. On toast. And the cramped hallway thing was a bit of a pain... >.>
Old 01-15-2006, 10:42 PM   #861
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Emissions

I liked it, like I said, but at the same time I agree that the enemies were kind of like 'holograms'... I remember if you hit them correctly they would just kind of slice in half, like a knife through warm butter. On toast. And the cramped hallway thing was a bit of a pain... >.>
Well for the record, in the PS2 game, if you slice an enemy they pretty much always slice in half. Or lose limbs. Or heads. The carnage is truly a sight to behold. And I almost forgot, you have infinite ammo for your arm cannon.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:11 AM   #862
Low Emissions
64-bit Poster

Rep Power: 12 Low Emissions is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Low Emissions

Yes yes... much carnage. ^_^
Truly a sight indeed. But I don't remember an arm cannon. I think I remember some sort of bow, but it was such a pain in the ass to use I never used it anyways. In fact, now that I think of I think there were a couple of different things you could use instead of your sword and they were all pretty much useless. >.>

Meh. Whatever.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:31 AM   #863
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stclass
Okay, I beat Metroid Prime on hard mode.
Congrats! Yeah, Omega Pirate is a bitch. I'll probably never go back again and try to beat him. Too darn frustrating.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:47 AM   #864
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

I didn't think the Omega Pirate was that bad. Then again, I don't really remember. I beat hard mode so long ago. See the very first page of this thread!
Old 01-17-2006, 02:25 PM   #865
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

I beat GUN. Yeehaw! Thanks, Doug. I got 100% completion and found 41 of the 44 spots of gold (dag-nubbit). B/c I got 100% completion, I got two super-secret weapons and another super-secret something. But I won't tell, 'cause I'm a good grrl.

I've said what I liked about this game elsewhere, but there's a couple of things I didn't. 1) The final boss was ramped-up in difficulty far too much, considering the rest of the game was cake. 2) I didn't like the idea that you could scalp people -- at all. Especially considering there was no stat for it on the tally sheet. 3) There was no true way to loose in the gambling mini-game, and getting caught cheating had no negative in the game either. 4) Each "bit" felt too rushed; in other words, the story-portion of the game should've been longer.

Gosh, it seems like I didn't like the game, but honestly, I did. Tight controls, good storyline, excellent sound and va (still needs better graphics, considering how much dinero Neversoft probably put into the title). I mean hell, I finished it, didn't I! That says something.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:44 PM   #866
David Stone
One of uuuuuuussss....

Rep Power: 18 David Stone is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypatia93
I beat GUN. Yeehaw! Thanks, Doug. I got 100% completion and found 41 of the 44 spots of gold (dag-nubbit). B/c I got 100% completion, I got two super-secret weapons and another super-secret something. But I won't tell, 'cause I'm a good grrl.
At least you've learned your lesson.
David Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #867
legendarypegasu
64-bit Poster

Rep Power: 13 legendarypegasu is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to legendarypegasu

I beat Atelier Iris last night. I really liked it a lot. The story is typical RPG cliche, with no plot twists or anyhting, but it ends up being enjoyable due to very good voice acting and funny dialouge. The battle system is pretty basic but offers an appropriate level of depth. The alchemy and sysnthesis is done very well. I spent 5-6 hours near the end of the game just creating new stuff.

The game is on the short and easy side. It took me 28 hours to beat it, while doing most of the sidequests. There is an extra dungeon which I have yet to start, and I still have a good number of items I have yet to synthesize. But after playing DQVIII, it was nice to play an easy and shorter RPG.

I did have a few complaints. The first is there is way too much backtracking. You have to go through the same areas/dungeons multiple times. This wouldn't be that bad, except the enemies stay the same. So near the end of game, you're still battling enemies that are worth 5-10 exp points. Also, once you get to the end of a dungeon, you have to walk all the way out, which was annoying. Second, there are a lot of audio glitches, voices just cutting out, the music just stopping at random points. Third, the initiation of sidequests seems totally random, add to to you can only be doing one sidequest at a time, it gets frustrating tryign to get a NPC to give you a sidequest.

Overall, I liked it and reccomend it to any RPG fan, especially if you just finished a difficult, long, epic style RPG.
legendarypegasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:56 PM   #868
Jason Karney
Pixel King

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness

Star Ocean 3

--Jason
Jason Karney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:23 PM   #869
ASS-asn
the meaning of life below

Send a message via MSN to ASS-asn

I beat Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater yesterday
I'm going to play it again to get all costumes etc

I loved the last battle (was not easy)
but on the whole I think it was not challenging enough (normal on EU) which was a little dissapointing but it's still a very cool game
replaying on extreme !

this Berserk games sounds really nice, I'm a big fan of the animated series and have searched and found a lot of the manga which is also very good
ASS-asn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:21 AM   #870
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

Is this a sequel to the Berserk game where you have to kill evil cyclopean robots while being chased by a giant smiley face?