About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 01-07-2006, 01:47 AM   #841
Space Harrier
16-bit Poster

Rep Power: 11 Space Harrier is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

I just beat Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones.

Loved every second of it. It perfectly combined the atmosphere of Sands of Time with the gameplay improvements of Warrior Within and some great new features of its own (dark prince, stealth kills).

Wasn't too short, too hard, too easy, high in saturated fat, etc... Just right.

I liked it so much, that I think I'll give my copy of Warrior Within another shot; the cheesines of the game had prompted me to shelve it not long after starting, but I've got a real jones for more Prince of Persia now.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #842
1stclass
8-Bit Poster

Beat Resident Evil remake for GC with Chris on easy. I intend to play Jill hard on my next run.

I also just beat Super Metroid (again), this time with a clear time of 1:45 ish. Man, Ridley is still pretty darn tough after all these years!
1stclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:35 PM   #843
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

Beat MGS3: Snake Eater.

I'd love to do a 2nd run-through and do tons of stuff, but instead ima wait for subsistence.
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:24 AM   #844
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

I don't think I participated in this thread at all last year, but I will start now.

I finished Advance Wars: Dual Strike early this morning. No plans for a review, but I liked it much better than the second GBA entry (Black Hole Rising). There were a lot more unit types, and overall the difficulty to me felt a lot more balanced and manageable than last time.

I can't say that I really like this series a lot, but I think I respect it. Besides, so few quality strategy games come out it's almost like you have to play these ones just on principle alone.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:25 PM   #845
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

Beat Mario and Luigi DS last night. While the story was far more interesting, I sorta miss the Bros Powers (replaced by Bros Items, which can be stockpiled and used only on bosses). The difficulty feels like it was toned way down, though. I remember having to play through the final boss of Superstar Saga several times to beat her. Partners in Time's boss went down my first try, without me ever coming anywhere close to dying.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:47 PM   #846
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Finished RE4. It was a very fun game, but I still like the remake of the first one better.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:58 PM   #847
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Send a message via MSN to Adelleda

Don't know if it counts but i unlocked the handconnon on resident evil 4.
Adelleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:10 AM   #848
fishgills7
Tatsmaksenpuken

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwe8k
Beat Mario and Luigi DS last night. While the story was far more interesting, I sorta miss the Bros Powers (replaced by Bros Items, which can be stockpiled and used only on bosses). The difficulty feels like it was toned way down, though. I remember having to play through the final boss of Superstar Saga several times to beat her. Partners in Time's boss went down my first try, without me ever coming anywhere close to dying.
I just beat it tonight, and I'm going to weigh in as your exact opposite. I thought the story was quirky and interesting, but not nearly as much as the original. It's still got charm in spades, but it's just not nearly as funny. I also thought the Bros. Items were a pretty welcome addition to the Mario RPG repetoire. Now every special attack is a mini-game in and of itself. It offers up some balance issues (I was much more skilled at some than others), but every move still got used depending on the circumstances. This might also be why I thought the game was actually a little harder than Superstar. My memory of the original is a little foggy, but it seemed like every enemy in Partners in Time had many many more attack variants than the enemies in Superstar. I also think you take more damage in the sequel.

Oh well, on the whole, very fun game. I felt a little letdown by the story, but that's only relative to the original. The game structure and gameplay in general are really tightly honed and polished as well, with some great new additions that really change up the game while still retaining the same feel. This is definitely one of the best new franchises to bear the Mario moniker.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:13 AM   #849
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelleda
Don't know if it counts but i unlocked the handconnon on resident evil 4.
In my book that does indeed count. Mercs is tough.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:35 AM   #850
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgills7
I just beat it tonight, and I'm going to weigh in as your exact opposite. I thought the story was quirky and interesting, but not nearly as much as the original. It's still got charm in spades, but it's just not nearly as funny. I also thought the Bros. Items were a pretty welcome addition to the Mario RPG repetoire. Now every special attack is a mini-game in and of itself. It offers up some balance issues (I was much more skilled at some than others), but every move still got used depending on the circumstances. This might also be why I thought the game was actually a little harder than Superstar. My memory of the original is a little foggy, but it seemed like every enemy in Partners in Time had many many more attack variants than the enemies in Superstar. I also think you take more damage in the sequel.

Oh well, on the whole, very fun game. I felt a little letdown by the story, but that's only relative to the original. The game structure and gameplay in general are really tightly honed and polished as well, with some great new additions that really change up the game while still retaining the same feel. This is definitely one of the best new franchises to bear the Mario moniker.

My problem with the Bros Items was that you could stockpile them and make bosses super easy. With the Bros Powers, you had to manage how many points you were going to use, and have items on hand to replentish them if need be. Also, you never really had to use a lot of them. I got through almost all of the game without using anything other than the green shells and fire/ice flowers. The harder to use items, like the copy flowers, almost never got used. I got really good at trampoliners DURING the last boss, once I realized I needed to use something that delivered more damage and could hit enemies above ground level. The Bros Powers required way more practice and memorization, and you could choose how hard you wanted to make it. The Bros Items could be learned instantly, though it was cool that how long you could sustain the chain determined how much damage they delivered.

I hardly remember the Superstar Saga story, so maybe that's why I'm thinking P in T's story is better. I thought it made the mission feel a little more critical. Not only is the princess gone, but there are savage aliens tearing across the land blowing up villages and seemingly killing everyone. Actually, pretty heavy stuff for a Mario game, even if it's handled rather lightly. The time travel elements, like the two Toadsworths always bickering, were pretty clever.

I agree about the enemies, though. They did seem like they had a huge repertoire of attacks. There were times where I'd be fighting an enemy I'd seen several times only to get zapped by some new power I hadn't encountered yet. But they were still fairly easy. I remember having more trouble with the other game.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #851
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

Just beat God of War on Normal. Fun game, although i feel like a loser cause i accidentally said yes to the "Would you like to finish the game on easy mode?" on the final battle.

I'm debating whether or not to replay it and unlock it all, or to just move on to my massive stack of unplayed games...

Oh yeah, I also beat Advance Guardian Heroes. FANTASTIC!
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:31 AM   #852
fishgills7
Tatsmaksenpuken

I tended to stockpile my Bros. Items, and only used them when they were super critical. I almost never used the fire and ice flowers because I always opted for the higher damage/more complex items. So I got pretty good at the copy flower and the trampoline, and just ridiculous with the mix flower and the Yoshi eggs.

As for Superstar Saga's bros. powers... I thought most of them were redundant. Once you got very good with one, there was basically no reason to ever deviate, especially when the power of each was essentially determined by muscle memory. The Bros. items were just much more fun and more skill-based, everytime I used one the power of the attack would be determined by my own concentration and effort. It's pretty rare for an RPG to require the dexterity and focus of an action game, so it was a great change for the genre. I definitely see your point about having them point-based as opposed to item-based though, as it really would've added another layer to the game. Like, then they could've continued with the Bros. powers concept, where using additional points could power up the attack.

A lot of Partners in Time felt rushed to me in retrospect. There wasn't a good sense of cohesion in the overworld (Peach's castle) and every level you explored felt distinctly like a classic dungeon. It didn't hurt the action, but the game kinda dropped the ball as an RPG. There were also less interesting characters to interact with, less mini-games, less nonessential rewards, and no sidequests. Everything in the game seemed very pointed to the end goal, even if at the time, you feel fairly free. Hmmm... I hope the third game gets more time for planning and development.

Last edited by fishgills7; 01-12-2006 at 02:35 AM.
fishgills7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:25 AM   #853
1stclass
8-Bit Poster

Today I finally got around to beating metroid prime. I've owned it since the day it was released but I never really enjoyed the gameplay. Ah well. I wonder if hard mode will hold my interest a little more.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:12 AM   #854
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stclass
Today I finally got around to beating metroid prime. I've owned it since the day it was released but I never really enjoyed the gameplay. Ah well. I wonder if hard mode will hold my interest a little more.
The gameplay doesn't change on hard mode, it's still all the same. Unless you consider stronger enemies and weaker weapons a good enough change. If you didn't enjoy it the first time through I seriously doubt it would improve much on the second try.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:24 AM   #855
1stclass
8-Bit Poster

Well part of what I didn't like about the gameplay was that I felt it was easier than earlier metroid games.