About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 12-07-2005, 11:53 AM   #826
kill flanders
You shall be as gods.

Rep Power: 12 kill flanders is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Quote:
No, the DMC sequels are not as good as the original. the 3rd game, in fact, is far greater.
Quote:
And the second one is a pile of bollocks.
Alrighty. I'll rent the second and buy the third.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:48 AM   #827
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Finally completed Resident Evil 4 on Normal difficulty. Considering I bought this game back when it first came out earlier this year, this has to be a record for me to actually continue to come back to the same game and finally finish it (exactly 19:14 total gameplay).

What a game. There's been some good stuff coming out recently, but I'd definitely consider it one of the best of the year, and possibly one of the most entertaining games I've ever played.

And this coming from someone who absolutely hated the RE franchise before RE4.

Now I can finally start playing Killer 7.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 10:14 AM   #828
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroGamer
And this coming from someone who absolutely hated the RE franchise before RE4.
This sentiment, from what I have seen, is pretty well shared. I think RE4 has done alot for the franchise. Before it was just for the fans, now it's everybody's game.

Great job by Capcom. Surely my pick for GOTY.

And Enduro, I await your "I beat RE4 on Pro mode" post.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:33 PM   #829
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Well, you'll be waiting for a while. As much as I enjoyed the game, I'm totally comfortable with shelving it now that I got through it. I have way too many unplayed games to spend another 20 hours with one I already beat. Maybe I'll return one day in my old age, but it ran its course, was a good length, and I doubt I'll even mess around with the unlockable bonus games.

Time to play Killer 7 and then maybe that Star Fox game... those two should hold me over on the GC front till Zelda.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:59 PM   #830
Foom
New Poster

I have beaten Max Payne on the X-Box. I enjoyed the noir story, and Payne's quick, monotone delivery was perfect; it was like Mike Hammer come to life.

The ending was exactly what it should have been; no frills, nothing fancy or sentimental, but perfect. Too often, endings are either sanctimonious, moralistic affairs that tell the fate of every single cell in the main character's body (a la FF6), or a line of congratulatory text message after quitting to Dos (see the PC port of Eye of the Beholder.) This was short, brutal, and honest.

This led to my playing, and beating, Max Payne 2, also on the X-Box. The ending, save for the last frame and line, wasn't as good, but then again, neither was the story or the voice acting. The game itself was prettier and less clunky, but apparently the designers missed the cutoff line between pathos and bathos. Still, not too bad, and at least Vlad was enjoyable.

After this, I then decided to re-visit an old favorite, Deus Ex for the PC. I had originally completed it a couple of years ago, and had opted then for a non-lethal playthrough. This time, I did the Max Payne, and thinned the ranks of the terrorists quicker than the Grey Death. I discovered it is indeed possible to save Paul Denton, and it made the game have more of a heart. I look forward to adding it to my once-a-year play & beat list, joining Fallout... and...well...Fallout.
Foom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #831
Dezlen
Luck be a lady

Finished Dragon Quest VIII today. First game I have finished in a long time. Total time 83 hours. Still have the alternate ending/dungeon to do, but I can at least say I saw the credits role in a game this year.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:11 PM   #832
Jacob_Hohn
Parried a bullet once.

Just beat ZOE2 on hard. This game gets better the more I play it. I almost had a heart attack during the second to last Anubis encounter.
Jacob_Hohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:07 AM   #833
ASS-asn
the meaning of life below

Send a message via MSN to ASS-asn

that reminds me I need to finish ZoE 2 too

spoiler ahead: im at that [big raid thing where you are supporting the earth army trying to invade some base and you have to geyser your mates to let them be healed by Leo. I just love that piece]

this is one great game; story, design, gameplay, controls, half existant AI and overal nice feel
I love it

just so that isn't a useless post:

I finished Naruto Gekkitou Ninja Taisen 3 last week
well finished: I finished story mode and unlocked all maps, game modes etc. except two characters
one highly addicting gamecube fighting game and this is really worth buying a gc for imo
it seems really simple but it goes deeper than you'd think at first glance
the game is at it's best with 4 players who know what they are doing
I have to admit this style of game isn't for everyone (kind of SSBM but better )

Last edited by ASS-asn; 12-18-2005 at 09:12 AM.
ASS-asn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:14 PM   #834
gamingguy
God of games

Send a message via AIM to gamingguy

I just beat Guiter Hero. That's a sweet game. The controller is a guitar with buttons instead of strings. It's kind of like DDR, except you have to play the notes scrolling down the screen with your guitar controller. The songs are all really good too. From Ziggy Stardust and Killer Queen to Fat Lip and Iron Man, they have a good playlist. It's definitely worth a buy.

Yeah I'm hung like planet Pluto hard to see with the naked eye
But if I crashed into Uranus I would stick it where the sun don't shine
'Cause I'm kind of like Han Solo always strokin' my own Wookiee
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah but you can call me
Cookie
Looks like a stalemate to me
gamingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:00 PM   #835
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Oh yeah, I beat Rez like 8 times. I'll probably go through it some more, but I figure now is as good a time as any to declare that I had, in fact, beaten it.

And me, my two little brothers and my dad all sat down and played through Star Wars Battlefront 2 the other day. That was some fun shit right there.

And I beat The Ultimate Doom a while back as well. The game holds up amazingly well.

I should probably update my sig.

Last edited by Boy; 12-29-2005 at 05:04 PM.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 04:18 PM   #836
mr_md
New Poster

I beat Metal Gear Solid (psx) for the first time ever this week. I bought Twin Snakes and played it for about half an hour before lending it to my brother. I was hooked though, so I busted out the original.

I also finished Final Fantasy III (snes) for the about the 15th time. I hadn't played it in years and had a nostalgic high though the whole thing. Nothing special to note, except that I used Gau as one of my main characters for the first time. He's surprisingly good for most of the game, but can't really compete (or just isn't needed) once you pick up the Offering and Gem Box.

- matt
mr_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 06:26 AM   #837
k8to
Chief Mallard

Since last checkin, I have finished Ratchet & Clank 3, and of course the lovely Shadow of the Colossus. Didn't bother with the "additional replay" features of SotC and really kind of wish they weren't there.

Additionally, I 'beat' several card games into the ground. That is, I have written software to play them and have started doing so with my friends. Programming sometimes feels like a game!
k8to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:30 PM   #838
Space Harrier
16-bit Poster

Rep Power: 11 Space Harrier is an unknown quantity at this point

I just finished Stubbs the Zombie: Rebel Without a Pulse. It was... okay. I'm still not completely sure if I liked it.

I'll start with what the game has going for it. The basic concept of playing as a brain-eating zombie is both inventive and entertaining. The licensed soundtrack is excellent, featuring several excellent indie covers of '50s songs. The 2 player co-op adds a welcome strategic element to the gameplay, and on occasion, the whole thing feels more like Halo than one would expect from a brain-eating-zombie game.

Now, for the bad. Good humor is a rarity in video games, and Stubbs does almost nothing to change this. The game is filled with some of the most stupid, juvenille fart-and-piss jokes I've seen since the third grade. There are a few good chuckles here and there that are greatly outnumbered by "roll your eyes" moments. The great soundtrack I mentioned is hardly heard, unforunately. Aside from the title screens, it only shows up in a couple of spots in-game, and a "dance off" mini game, which is a tacked on excuse to make use of the licensed music.

An unfortunate similarity with Halo is the repetetiveness of the game. The basic action of the game is very simple, but the game isn't long enough to make this a huge issue- it's the shortest game I've played since Ico.

I recommend Stubbs as a rental, or a bargain-bin purchase, but it really isn't worth full price unless you're a Halo or fart joke fanatic.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:58 AM   #839
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Completed Career Mode in Full Auto. Boy is this game purty.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:27 PM   #840
kill flanders
You shall be as gods.

Rep Power: 12 kill flanders is an unknown quantity at this point

Xenosaga Ep. 2
First impressions were not very good of this game. And it's true that I could make about 50 references to it in the 'embarrassing game moments' thread, but after I finished it, I remembered why it is that I liked Xenosaga in the first place. It has an awesome story. 'Course it probably wouldn't be half as enjoyable if I hadn't played the first one prior. On its own, not a very good game at all. As a sequal to the original, not a disappointment, though still not great.

Also, Jak 2. Very frustrating game. Fun to play, but some of the missions had me literally yelling at the console. I honestly think that the first one was better, even though Jak 2 had the potential to be a lot better, the frustration factor was its downfall (at least for me).