About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 10-15-2005, 08:30 PM   #766
TXCesar
New Poster

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Just beat X-Men Legends II (yawn). All the new powers are fun but it just seemed way too easy on the default (normal) difficulty. I have no desire to play this again, so I'm trading it in towards Phoenix Wright!
TXCesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 11:24 PM   #767
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

You won't believe this, but this afternoon I beat Metal Gear Solid, for the Playstation One, for the very first time in my entire life. It was on my list of things to do before the babies come.

Obviously, since the game is seven years old, I'd already experienced the vast majority of the gameplay elements in other games. Still, the boss fights (and you all know them so well by now I feel stupid getting into details) felt very fresh and clever and smart.

It was the story the struck me most, though, and I was just blown away by how cohesive and relevant it is. I know a little bit about MGS2, but not much, and I'm hoping the loose threads get picked up in the sequel. And in ITS sequel. And in ITS sequel.

Even seven years later, I'll give MGS a solid (HAH!) 8.0.
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:15 AM   #768
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroGamer
Having played quite a bit of Red Dead Revolver, I wouldn't even put it in the same sentence with Gun.
OMG, is Gun that bad!?!

Just kidding.. By all the gods, I can hardly wait. Do you perchance know the ship date?
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:58 AM   #769
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelT
You won't believe this, but this afternoon I beat Metal Gear Solid, for the Playstation One, for the very first time in my entire life. It was on my list of things to do before the babies come.
Don't feel too bad. I haven't even beaten it. I can't even bring myself to get past the first combat encounter.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:19 PM   #770
tp1up
New Poster

I beat Resident Evil: Director's Cut a few months ago. Finished Halo and Halo 2 after that, and now I'm deciding on starting PGR2, Forza Motorsport, GT4, Juiced, R: Racing Revolution, or Burnout 3. Any suggestions on what to start?
tp1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:47 PM   #771
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

I've beaten PGR2 and Juiced and played the hell out of Burnout 3 and Forza to a lesser extent.

Of the those you listed I would suggest that if you have Xbox Live, play PGR2 and stay logged in while you play the single player so you can see how you rank. It's great fun. I put over 100 hours in on PGR2.

Next, I would suggest Burnout 3 and then Juiced. Juiced is quite unique in that the gameplay is strictly arcadey, but the whole calendar system and crew-based racing was quite unique. I actually really liked Juiced.

Definitely stay away from that R: game though. By all accounts its garbage. And as for Forza and GT4, I would say go with GT4, as Forza (to me) just wasn't fun.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:48 PM   #772
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Almost forgot. I beat Indigo Prophecy today. I was at 93% completion before the final couple of sequences so I feel pretty sure I saw everything. Actually, there weren't any grayed-out chapters on the list either, nor any remaining unlockables. So I guess I got the best ending. Cool game, but way too Matrix-y for its own good.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:14 AM   #773
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp1up
I beat Resident Evil: Director's Cut a few months ago. Finished Halo and Halo 2 after that, and now I'm deciding on starting PGR2, Forza Motorsport, GT4, Juiced, R: Racing Revolution, or Burnout 3. Any suggestions on what to start?
Suggestion? Go out, take a walk and enjoy the sceneries of REAL world. Then hang out with few of your buddies or find a new one if you don't have any. Then go back to playing games when you already have a satisfactory amount of social life.

Anyway, I can't answer that question, but I can suggest 1 game that might interest you as well: Midnight Club 3.

And by the way, welcome to the boards.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:14 AM   #774
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Got Shadow of the Colossus today. Beat it today. Took a little under 7 hours. The game is awesome.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:44 PM   #775
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

I beat Metar Gear Solid 2: Raiden's Song last night, as part of my Metal Gear Solid Trilogy Tour. It occurred to me about two hours into playing that I'd already played and finished this game when it first came out four years ago. I must have rented it, because I know I didn't own it until about a week ago. My memory is going, I guess, or perhaps I just have more important things on my mind.

Anyway, MGS2 certainly exceeded my expectations in the plot department -- I was really into the story of the original and just as much so with the sequel. The gameplay was fun, but man, there just wasn't enough of it. There were gadgets and weapons I never bothered using -- I assumed I'd get a chance, but nope, no need. Alas, poor machine gun. Alas, poor rocket launcher.

On to MGS3...I'm fairly certain I haven't played that one.
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:58 AM   #776
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Yeah, CT, I think MGS3 goes a long way to solving that problem. There are plenty of opportunities to use pretty much every little thing you get. That was such a fun game.

Well, it's been a long time since beating a game has made me cry out in triumph, but Trauma Center finally broke the spell. The last operation is intense. It had my heart racing and my hands were shaking the whole time.. It felt like i was 10 years old again fighting King Drool in Bonk's Adventure. I love that feeling. Great, great game.

I'd really like to know, though, what an actual surgeon would think of it. I mean, obviously it's nothing like a real operation, but I'm talking about the overly saccharine moralizing and the treatment of human life in the game. I found it pretty overbearing most times, but it was still hard not to root for Dr. Stiles when he would make a speech about the patient and doctor fighting side-by-side against disease.

Highly recommended.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:58 AM   #777
JackSlack
Proud Supporter of Pants

Beat Farenheit (Indigo Prophecy). And by 'beat' I mean I wiggled the joysticks in the right way and watched the cutscenes until it ended. What an absolute failure of a game!
JackSlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:15 AM   #778
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlack
Beat Farenheit (Indigo Prophecy). And by 'beat' I mean I wiggled the joysticks in the right way and watched the cutscenes until it ended. What an absolute failure of a game!
BOO-HISS!
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:44 AM   #779
JackSlack
Proud Supporter of Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypatia93
BOO-HISS!
I'm planning to write out a comparison of Ico to Farenheit, showing how the former succeeds in doing everything the latter declares it set out to do, because Ico uses the techniques of videogames to produce emotion and character, while Farenheit tries desperately to avoid anything associated with 'common' videogames.

Farenheit is definitely elitist. There's lots of times it pointedly chooses round-about ways of doing things rather than obvious ones because, y'know, obvious ones would just look like every other videogame. (As one example, why does it use the control stick to set actions on instead of the buttons? Little semi-circle motions aside, there's no real benefit of any sort to doing so, and using the buttons would have been far more intuitive.)
JackSlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:34 PM   #780
Space Harrier
16-bit Poster

Rep Power: 11 Space Harrier is an unknown quantity at this point

What a relief! I was starting to think that I was the only person let down by Indigo Prophecy (heresy on this board!).

I Beat it a few days ago, and I've tried playing it again to see if I can alter how the story plays out in any significant way. No luck so far.

It seems to be a very linear, scripted game masquerading as an open-ended one. Sort of like Shenmue on rails. The game allows you to make a few choices in conversation, or how to proceed within a scene, but these decisions don't seem to change the game on a large scale.

Is there more to this game than it appears? Do I need to play it again?
Space Harrier is offline   Reply With Quote