About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 10-04-2005, 09:44 AM   #751
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

I finished a few games a while back, but now I've forgotten what they were. My bad.

However, I did finish Indigo Prophecy over the weekend. I think I missed a lot of stuff, b/c when I left off I was only 53% complete, and then suddenly I was done. Also, I /know/ I missed some scenes, b/c I skipped around in choosing which people to do when, which must've changed what happened with the others. Because of this, the ending came too fast for me. So I'll be doing it again, but probably not until after my aunt moves in. She's not really interested in games, but after describing this one to her, she says she'd like to watch me play this one. We'll see how long it holds her attention.

Possible spoiler alert! (Remember to use your Secret Squirrel Glasses. )

I got a /very/ goody-goody ending. Has anyone else gotten a "bad" ending, or something near to that?
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918

Last edited by Hypatia93; 10-04-2005 at 09:46 AM.
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:02 PM   #752
fishgills7
Tatsmaksenpuken

I just beat Killer 7 today.

Mind = blown.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:02 AM   #753
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Send a message via MSN to Adelleda

Medievil for the PS1. Got it off E-bay for 2.99 in outstanding condition.

Forgot how much i loved this game.
Adelleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:24 PM   #754
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelleda
Medievil for the PS1. Got it off E-bay for 2.99 in outstanding condition.

Forgot how much i loved this game.
Dang! You made me recall some bitter memory.

A friend of mine gave me a copy of Medievil on my Birthday 7 years ago.

I remember how I enjoyed that game until a certain RPG got released. Then Medievel got (mis)placed on a corner.

Now I can't find it anywhere!

Going back to topic, I just finished Maniac Mansion's Day of the Tentacle two days ago (Before I start packing for my leave for NY today). I'm starting to become a fan of Tim Schafer. Although I won't say this game is better than Monkey Island 2 (at least in terms of plot and humor) and Indiana Jones: Fate of the Atlantis (in terms of antiquarian stories/conspiracies), overall the game was pretty brilliant. I really liked the idea of each of the 3 main characters solving puzzles on different time periods (past, present, future) of the story, all taking place in the same hotel. And that certain items can only be used when transported in time portal, and how the past affects the future, this is simply clever for a point and click adventure (although it tend to become frustrating when you're stuck).

I need to find me a copy of Full Throttle and Sam and Max. Grim Fandango is not working too well on my computer. My OS is windows XP and my computer has a fairly decent hardware specifications. Any idea why Grim Fandango don't work on this kind of computer quite well? Anyone encountered similar situations?
Old 10-08-2005, 05:39 AM   #755
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Send a message via MSN to Adelleda

Medievil 2 for ps1. Also purchased on ebay for 2.99.

Better then paying 60 for it last month i reckon. Everyones forgot about the ps1 version now that the psp has been released. HA.
Adelleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 04:37 PM   #756
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Digital Devil Saga the First, for the second time. Mastered all mantras, everyone on level 99, beat all bosses EXCEPT that damned demifiend. It's not that I couldn't have, it's just that I didn't realize how truly luck-based that battle was.

After a the first few battles where I was setting up a strategy, I was doing ok. After I got serious and started making some headway, the Demifiend proceeded to get a critical hit every turn on every round giving him two extra turns on top of the four he already had. Nevermind that everyone in the part had null critical equipped and the Demifiend was sporting a couple agility debuffs. But I was toughing it out, and still doing ok. Then one of his demon buddies did Gate of Hell, which killed one of my party members (not a big deal) and turned the other two to stone, and it was off to the game over screen with me. I decided that I don't have the patience for that, and was kind of annoyed that Atlus would see fit to put a battle like that in the game.

In all their previous games that I've played, levels/luck played a very small role in battles. It was all about strategies and skillsets, and when you got it you felt like a badass. Even the secret bosses could always be taken out after a little bit of thinking. I really respected the games for that aspect. I can do "try and die" gameplay no problem. I can't stand "try and die until you get very lucky" however.

Another thing that annoys me about this particular Atlus outing is the "right answers" in some of the questions the game gives you. You're told the answers affect what you get in the next game if you carry the file over. I thought that meant different answers get you different stuff. No, it means if you act like a perfect goody two-shoes the whole way through you get bonuses, and if you do anything else, you get jack. It's especially annoying because in my first play I answered how I really felt, and I would've gotten most of the bonuses. In the second round, I tinkered with the other responses just to see what kind of stuff would happen and I found that that precludes me from getting several bonuses.

Don't get me wrong, I love the hell out of the game. I was tempted to play through a third time just to "answer correctly" and get all the bonuses. It would've been extremely easy just because the game is so fun. The only reason I didn't was because the siren song of DDS2 was far too much for me to resist. I just have some issues with the way they handled the various secret stuff in the game.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:44 AM   #757
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Wow.

That's shocking on two fronts, Boy. One, about the complete luck required for that one Boss. And two about the questions. Frankly, I'd heard the answers you gave to the questions mattered not at all for what you receive. Tell me further, when do you get whatever it is you /do/ get for answering those questions?

P.S. Please be sure to post your impressions of DDS2 when you have them.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Old 10-13-2005, 05:10 PM   #758
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Well all the question related stuff you get comes late in the game. Special moves for ******* and **** for instance. And if you answer certain questions right, you get you use **** instead of ****** in the last dungeon. That last one is the one that ticks me off most.

The other bonuses come pretty quickly though. The added stat boosts are, of course, instantaneous. The bonus money you get from your tag ring is early on. The Karma Rings you get from beating secret bosses in DDS1 show up in various places throughout. Like you'll fight a battle somewhere along the line with some normal wimpy baddies, and they'll brag about how you can't beat them because they have X ring equipped. When you beat them you get said ring, of course.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 07:37 PM   #759
jdingo
32-bit Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to jdingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Korn Karn
Keep it spoiler-free. If you want to discuss details of a game then mark it CLEARLY, please.
758 replies, and 26,330 views - as of October 13, 2005 - for a thread that has endured for three years.

This, guys, is the thread-to-end-all-threads. This is the uber-thread. Nothing will ever top this.

The gamecritics staff have second-mortgaged their homes to pay for the bandwidth required to support this thread.

This, finally, is what programmers refer to as "thread death": death-by-thread. Gamecritics.com is living it.

This is gamecritics.com's katamari. It just keeps on rolling, and rolling, and rolling...

- jdingo
jdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:50 AM   #760
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 27 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Beat "Gun" with 100% completion, Legendary ranking. Awesome game. Can't say enough good stuff about it and have no problem recommending it to everyone. It ships on 11/8 for all consoles. I'll share some specifics then.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:14 AM   #761
David Stone
One of uuuuuuussss....

Rep Power: 18 David Stone is an unknown quantity at this point

Gotten 2 out of the 3 endings in Castlevania DS but am holding off on the final ending to explore the castle. Though I should probably keep this in the main CV thread, I found the game functioned on an arc: boring and predictable at first, gets really interesting and exciting in the middle, then is over far too quickly and is somewhat predictable. *

ARR! BE WARNED, YE SCURVIES! SPOILERS AHEAD!!!
Highlight to see them.

Some of the abilities are literally one-time-use only. It's pretty sad. You get this neat ablity to stop time, but it's only used to get past ONE room to advance in the castle. It was a new device (well, not NEW, since there was the stopwatch in the earlier titles, but a neat ability to call on anytime) that could have been used to great effect for puzzles - could you imagine a puzzle in the clocktower (or course there's a clock tower) where you had to be a bat (oops! well, you become a bat too) while at the same time stopping gears and mechanisms to fly through a tiny space that you create? Man, that would have been great. Same goes for the crystal block breaking. There are a total of THREE rooms that use this ability, and quite frankly, you've seen them in the trailers.

And the * refers to encountering yet another "you must have this item when you fight the "final" boss to fight the REAL boss, a trick they've used since Symphony OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

So there.
David Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:23 AM   #762
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdingo

The gamecritics staff have second-mortgaged their homes to pay for the bandwidth required to support this thread.
LOL, yeah, I'll bet
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 11:14 AM   #763
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroGamer
Beat "Gun" with 100% completion, Legendary ranking. Awesome game. Can't say enough good stuff about it and have no problem recommending it to everyone. It ships on 11/8 for all consoles. I'll share some specifics then.
I've had it pre-ordered for a long-ass while now. For the regular ole XBox though, not the fancy new X360.

It's definitely one of my most anticipated; I /loved/ Red Dead, and I think (hope) this'll top it. I mean, the VA alone is outstanding.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Old 10-14-2005, 11:15 AM   #764
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Korn Karn
LOL, yeah, I'll bet
Is keeping a really long thread around really hard and really that costly? I'm sorry; I'm a dunce about these things.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Old 10-15-2005, 10:09 AM   #765
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 27 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Having played quite a bit of Red Dead Revolver, I wouldn't even put it in the same sentence with Gun.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote