About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 09-15-2005, 04:36 AM   #736
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajon

But then again, if you were taking MGS3 as a story unto itself I can see how these connotations might be lost. But oh well. I suppose it would be like that if someone saw the new Star Wars movies before seeing the old ones.

-Matt
the funny thing is how all these insights (which is pretty valid) you just gave me never occured to me when i was playing the game. maybe i just wasn't in too much of a thinking mood back when i played the game and watched the cutscenes. or maybe it was because it has been too long since i played MGS and MGS2.

but where MGS3 and Star Wars Ep. 1-3 are different, at least to me, is that MGS3 got me to like Big Boss, while Star Wars didn't get me to like young Annakin, maybe even less than when he was Darth Vader in Ep. 4-6. That's probably due to the bad acting of Star Wars Ep. 1-3.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:08 AM   #737
Reharl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
Heh, it's funny you mention the book carrying. I actually tried to see if I could get Lishao Tao to make good on the promise to tell me more about Yuanda Zhu by JUST carrying the books and doing nothing else. After about a week I was like "screw that".

But yeah, it not only made me forget the book carrying, it put Shenmue 1 in a whole new light for me. I've finally earned my Shenmue fanboy badge.
Heh, book carrying is cool. Nice music and all. And always a new reward at the end if you finish quickly enough. Now Shemnue's I trolley driving however... heck, there's no possible redemption for that...

Yeah, the end of Shemue 2 is something else. There's an incredible buildup right at the end of the skyscraper escalating, then that brilliant eye-to-eye confrontation and finally, a calm and soothing one hour stroll with Shenhua and the most beautiful music tracks in the whole of Shenmue's OST. Not something I'll forget too soon, either.

Oh... and I haven't finished anything at all recently, save for Sly 2. Decent game, but the ending really got to me. Here we have a game full of quirky and interesting mechanics and they still make me button-mash the confrontation with Clockla...
Reharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:24 AM   #738
Song Jiang
Nicaraguense

I have to agree with all the Shenmue fanboys here - it was a positively transcendent experience; well worth the $40 I paid for a Dreamcast just to play the game.

I just hope that Shenmue 3 (it IS coming out, right?) doesn't veer away from the traditions set by the previous 2 just because they didn't sell well.

As for games completed, I recently "finished" Everybody Loves Katamari Damacy (Minna Daisuki! Katamari Damasii). Now I've got to try the first one...bass ackwards, I know, but that's just the way it happened somehow...
Old 09-15-2005, 12:04 PM   #739
Sajon
128-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Sajon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shun
maybe it was because it has been too long since i played MGS and MGS2.
Well... I meant Metal Gear 1 and 2 (not Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2.) The chronology of the series is MGS3, MG1, MG2, MGS, MGS2. MGS3 is explaining why Big Boss is the badguy in MG1 and 2... though his actions and motivations are discussed often in MGS1 and 2.

-Matt
Sajon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:12 PM   #740
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Ok, I finally beat Boktai today. I ran through it at a fairly decent pace early on, but cloudiness+work put my progress on hold for about a week in the final dungeon.

Great game though. I'm surprised it got such a quiet reception. I found it to be extremely fun. The complaints about having to go outside seem pretty unfounded as well. A good chunk of my playtime was spent indoors at night, and I had no problems at all. There are plenty of methods to gather sunlight at night. Since the game has a heavy emphasis on stealth anyway, I didn't really use all that much to begin with. Playing indoors during the day is a different matter though, but I assume that's just the game's way of saying "The sun is up! go outside!"

The only time you actually HAVE to go into sunlight is when you use the pile driver. You can actually progress to the top of a dungeon, fight the boss there and then drag the coffin to the pile driver all without sunlight. It's only necessary for the activation of the pile driver (hence my delay in the last dungeon).

Even so, I've gotten a couple sunburns playing this game already, and I look forward to getting some more on my second run to get the rest of the silver coins/dark gun parts.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:14 PM   #741
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hehehe... I beat the Log Game this weekend.

Massive, waist-high fallen tree blocking the trail. We piled a couple smaller logs up on the downhill side to give us something descend onto (else suffer an inevitable broken collar bone) but nothing on the uphill side. I was the only one to clean it in our group of 15. Most riders can't get over the logs we were using to cushion our descent, let a lone that big f'er. It felt good since most of the group was a lot faster than me on the climbs.
Attached Images

EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 02:00 PM   #742
Gouty
I don't even like Pokemon

Man, I wish I could go bike riding on Endor.
Gouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 02:32 PM   #743
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

I finished Fantastic Four: The Movie, The Game on the GameCube. I rented this at the same time as God of War, and can you guess which game is better?

FF is an average hack-and-slash in nearly every way, but it does have a certain charm. That's probably because I'm a fan of the comic, and I like seeing my favorite heroes and villians represented in the game.

Indeed, the FMV does a fantastic (heh) job of rendering the movie actors; the facial expressions and body movements are spot-on.

The only really major flaw are the combination powers, which are hard to pull off (on purpose, at least), underpowered, and if you do manage to execute one there's so much happening on the screen that you can't enjoy the animation.

Also, the unlockable content is pretty predictible -- including, that's right, an interview with STAN LEE!

Without the license, I'd give it a 5.0. With it, I'm adding a point and stretching (heh) it to a 6.0, on GameCritics scale.
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 03:46 PM   #744
technomancy
Registered LUser

Rep Power: 19 technomancy is an unknown quantity at this point

I've unlocked elite rank in Burnout Revenge, which means I beat it, I think. There's still golds to get and other cars to unlock (because of a retarded challenge system), but for all proper measures, the game is beat.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:49 PM   #745
gamingguy
God of games

Send a message via AIM to gamingguy

Wow. I haven;t posted here in forever. I just want to say that my basement is all torn up, so I'll say that I have beaten numorous internet games, and I beat all the levels in Battlefield 2.

Yeah I'm hung like planet Pluto hard to see with the naked eye
But if I crashed into Uranus I would stick it where the sun don't shine
'Cause I'm kind of like Han Solo always strokin' my own Wookiee
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah but you can call me
Cookie
Looks like a stalemate to me
gamingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:06 AM   #746
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

I beat Luigi's Mansion a few days ago. Very fun at first, but quickly becomes really repetitive. Good thing it's really short.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:17 AM   #747
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Send a message via MSN to Adelleda

Transformers for PS2. Finaly got all of the Data cons on hard mode. You just cant beat running over decepticlones in vehicle mode .
Adelleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:51 PM   #748
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

Finished Hell YEAH! Freaking God of War!!! last night.

If you have a PS2, and you haven't played this game, grab a copy now. Rent it or buy it, whatever, but PLAY IT.

Even if you despise the hack-and-slash hit counter genre, as I do, PLAY IT.

It's stupendous. Practically flawless. In fact, I can't think of anything wrong with it, other than the final (final final) boss fight was kind of a letdown.

On the GameCritics scale, I give God of War a 9.5.

PLAY IT.
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:42 AM   #749
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

I just finished Final Fantasy X two hours ago, but wasn't 100% complete with the game (even though the game doesn't rate it)

Here are the things i didn't do:
- Get Wakka's last sigil. I hated Blitzball.
- Get Auron's final overdrive. For some reasons I feel quite lazy about having to search everywhere for Spheres.
- Collect all the species creation monsters. Catching monsters by itself is already tedious. I'm frustrated enough from tracking down all the monsters of all area. To have me catch at least certain amount of monsters are just crazy.
- Unlock all the original creation monster, due to the same reason as above.
- Max. stats for all characters. Though i know how to level up fast, the spheres keep running out and i got too lazy having to collect them all over again.
- Defeat Dark Aeons. Because my characters didn't reach max. stats.

Regardless, I enjoyed this game quite a bit, although i really disliked some of its sidequests (dodge lightnings, chocobo races, blitzball). In fact, it's really the sidequests that puts this game down, IMO. overall, i'll rate it 7.5 in Gamecritics scale, plus maybe a .5 due to its wonderful storytelling.

Right now, i'm playing Final Fantasy X-2.

P.S. I kicked the final bosses butt. They weren't even able to lay a hand on any of my characters.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:34 PM   #750
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Beat Trace Memory today. It was pretty short, but that's adventure games for you. I really think it should've been the DS launch title as opposed to Mario 64 (or Feel the Magic, depending on who you ask). Aside from being a solid game, it showcases the capabilites of the DS in sensible ways, as opposed to tacky minigames.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote