About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 09-02-2005, 04:24 AM   #721
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Quote:
I also take issue with the grading system in the game. After I got my legs at the game, I would run through comboing regularly, dying never and occasionally getting no hit clears. And the game usually gave me an Amateur or Rookie ranking
That's because the ranking system is based entirely on the number of enemies you kill and the time it takes you to clear the level.

For example -- flips to page 11 of my book -- the Enemy Destruction Bonus is the same for killing 5 enemies in <0:30 as it is for killing 9 in 0:40.

Every single mission has it's own individual grading table that accounts for the number of enemies and time to clear the mission.

Add into that the Max Combo Bonuses, the No Damage Bonus (based on number of enemies in the mission and the time to clear the mission) and you basically get a very complex rating system.

The key is to see how many "Professional" rankings you can get. But I have a feeling PN03 has seen the last of your GC.

By the way, Boy, if you want a copy of my PN03 book, for the scoring tables at least, I can send you one. I can get you a copy of the Gotcha Force book too in case you ever get the game. Just PM me your addy.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:55 AM   #722
EnG!n3
New Poster

OK heres my proudest achievement........
PS2
1)Tenchu 1 - (all Grand masters on all layouts 99 of every item except the Grand master items only go to 3)
2)Tenchu3 - same as above but i havent yet filled all items to 99 for the remaining characters...not that it matters i never use the items)
3)Tenchu4 - ( same as tenchu 3, I also beat all default high scores on boss battles)
4)MGS2 (sons of liberty) finished all difficulties, and got every dog tag, Beat Duel mode.
5)MGS3 (except the duel mode) but anyway, got every camo you find in the game(not including the ones you download), every cutscene, stealth, infinity face paint, EZ gun, and i did this on Extreeme and E. Extreeme
6)Hitman2 (all weapons but i didnt yet get all levels on silent assassin rank)
7)Metal Gear Solid Special Edition (all levels)

Currently working on Tenchu2 but the ranking system is messed up.

Theres a few more but i cant remember and I dont care much for the older console achievements.

Last edited by EnG!n3; 09-05-2005 at 12:57 AM.
EnG!n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:12 PM   #723
TXCesar
New Poster

Finished Tales of Symphonia with all my handy dandy Devil Arms in tow. I was a little bummed about how easy the final boss was, but all in all an awesome game!

I also purchased Hulk Ultimate Destruction, played it for about 4 hours and gave it to my cousin's kids. Not my type of game. I should know better than to stray too far from my favorite genres
TXCesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:52 PM   #724
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Ok, I beat Sigma Star Saga. I liked it, though it was about half as long as the back of the box proclaimed. I guess they were including the length of a replay, as there's an ending you can only get on the second playthrough.

All the elements in here were IMO, strictly average (except for the story, which was good) but together they became a fairly enjoyable, if not totally successful, experiment. There's plenty of room for improvement here, so I'm hoping for a sequel.

Also, I kinda wish the various art directors actually talked to each other or something. The stylistic differences between the character art, in-game sprites, and level art was kind of jarring.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 09:54 AM   #725
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Recently beaten:

Metal Gear Solid 3 - I went past this game as quickly as I can (indifferent to how stealthily I'm acting) just to see the story and whether or not this game is as good as it's hyped up to be. I'm glad that I'm not disappointed, that's why I'm going to play this game again doing the more daunting tasks like tranquilizing all bosses, collecting all animals, shooting down all Kerotans and completing all Monkey Missions.

Here's my gripe about the ending. Spoilers are written in red:

-----SPOILER-----

One bad habit of some storyteller is that they make a character act like a jerk throughout the duration of the story, then make some kind of explanation in the end. I've witness this countless numbers of time in all those Harry Potters. Snape acts like a dick to Harry Potter, yet Dumbledore, Hermione, and even Lupin explains in the end how Snape was actually helping in everything. I bet this will be what happens in the final book. Snape is a jerk. No amount explanation will justify otherwise.

It's probably due to the fact that I don't get it as much as Kojima hoped I would, but I find myself very indifferent (even annoyed) about The Boss. She acted bossy (pun intended) throughout the game, beating up Snake, leaving him to die and all, yet EVA gets teary-voiced into giving monologous explanation as to how great a woman The Boss truly is.
------------------------

End of spoilers

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - the sequel I anticipated for a long time turned out to be a real pushover. I only bothered to finish Eirika's scenario because I got really bored with the game's characters, story and dialogues. And the lack of flashy animations (even with the S-class weapon) for the main characters really hurt. it's hard to feel excited about a game the developers are not excited about.

Currently playing Final Fantasy X. Right now I'm almost about to finish the dungeon before the last, sidequests notwithstanding. I'm on my way to the "Level-up like crazy" phase. Somehow, I got pretty intimidated at one comment I have just heard about how 100+ hours were spent to complete this game. I really don't have that much spare time. Must ditch blitzball.

Last edited by shun; 09-10-2005 at 09:57 AM.
shun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 02:42 PM   #726
Boy

Shenmue 2. The last hour and a half of the game is something I will never forget.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:47 PM   #727
Gouty
I don't even like Pokemon

I Just beat Lunar Silver Star Story Complete. Fun little RPG, I can see why people dug it so much back in the day. Sadly, it’s a better RPG than most current gen trash, cliche’s in all.
Gouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 08:02 PM   #728
Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouty
I Just beat Lunar Silver Star Story Complete. Fun little RPG, I can see why people dug it so much back in the day. Sadly, it’s a better RPG than most current gen trash, cliche’s in all.
Lunar is cool in that it's almost entirely cliche, but still manages to be amazingly awesome. As a matter of fact, it's almost because of the cliches, rather than in spite of them. Great, great game.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:21 PM   #729
MetroCell

I have just beat God of War. It's an awesome game, and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes slaughtering monstrous beasts and undead warriors, like myself.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:49 AM   #730
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouty
I really feel like I'm missing out by not having played this game. I gotta take care of that.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:04 AM   #731
ASS-asn
the meaning of life below

Send a message via MSN to ASS-asn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroCell
I have just beat God of War. It's an awesome game, and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes slaughtering monstrous beasts and undead warriors, like myself.
yeaaah
slaughtering is my favourite hobby
im buying this game
ASS-asn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:13 PM   #732
Boy

Beat Shining Tears. For an action RPG/dynasty warriors style...thing it's really short. It's decent enough, but it's really held down by it's insane loading times (the whole game is 2D, jeez). And that last level was a little excessive.

All in all it was a funnish little game, with some nice art and a mellow soundtrack. I...probably won't be playing it again though.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:02 PM   #733
Sajon
128-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Sajon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shun

It's probably due to the fact that I don't get it as much as Kojima hoped I would, but I find myself very indifferent (even annoyed) about The Boss. She acted bossy (pun intended) throughout the game, beating up Snake, leaving him to die and all, yet EVA gets teary-voiced into giving monologous explanation as to how great a woman The Boss truly is.
Well, about that I have to say... (also spoiler)

I don't think the point of the game is "Ooh. The Boss was really just misunderstood and so great." Eva and Snake both love her, but I dunno if that's a sentiment the player is supposed to share. The point of the game is to understand how Snake became the man he was in Metal Gear 1 and 2. I thought the point of The Boss was that she had to treat Snake like she did because that was her mission, and, according to her worldview, soldiers are just tools who shouldn't have feelings. She wanted Snake to understand this. But, of course, in the end he doesn't. Instead he is outraged that the government used her... even though she clearly felt it was her duty to be used. She was trying to teach him to be a-political, but he ended up becoming anti-political. So no... I don't think the player is supposed to necessarily feel the same way as Snake. I personally felt The Boss was wrong... but Snake is wrong too. They're all wrong. That's kinda the point. Snake became a terrorist. The U.S. government became corrupt. And the world just got worse.

But then again, if you were taking MGS3 as a story unto itself I can see how these connotations might be lost. But oh well. I suppose it would be like that if someone saw the new Star Wars movies before seeing the old ones.

-Matt
Sajon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 02:20 AM   #734
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
Shenmue 2. The last hour and a half of the game is something I will never forget.
SEE?

Glad you played through it and now know what we've all been talking about it. Wasn't that great? The last chapter in Shenmue 2 totally makes you forget about that book carrying bullcrap, huh.

As for me, I just completed Classic Mode in Tony Hawk's American Wasteland. About 2/3's through Story Mode.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:23 AM   #735
Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroGamer
SEE?

Glad you played through it and now know what we've all been talking about it. Wasn't that great? The last chapter in Shenmue 2 totally makes you forget about that book carrying bullcrap, huh.
Heh, it's funny you mention the book carrying. I actually tried to see if I could get Lishao Tao to make good on the promise to tell me more about Yuanda Zhu by JUST carrying the books and doing nothing else. After about a week I was like "screw that".

But yeah, it not only made me forget the book carrying, it put Shenmue 1 in a whole new light for me. I've finally earned my Shenmue fanboy badge.