About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 08-23-2005, 12:33 AM   #706
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Finished Ultimate Spider-Man the other day. Will have some guidebooks to give away next month when it releases.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:14 AM   #707
k8to
Chief Mallard

Not sure if it counts really, since I beat them a long time ago, but I recently fired up the source ports and swept through Doom (3 episodes), Heretic (first 3 of 5), and hexen (this time as a the addon assassin class).
k8to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:35 AM   #708
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroGamer
Finished Ultimate Spider-Man the other day. Will have some guidebooks to give away next month when it releases.
Awesome, Doug!

Say, I thought there was going to be an X360 version too. Based on what you've seen so far, do you think there'll be much difference? (If you can say that is.) The reason I ask, is b/c I have a pre-order for it, and if there's not going to be much, or really any, difference, why wait? (For instance, I heard -- I think in a mag -- that the diff b/t the Xbox and X360 for Gun is nominal at best, and I have a pre-order for that one too. So I'm thinking of rearranging my pre-order for that one too. That is, if the difference is indeed negligible, and there's a price difference b/t the versions.)

Q (The One with All the Questions)
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:58 AM   #709
k8to
Chief Mallard

Oh, and I finished the last couple battles in Destiny of an Emperor just now. That was a silly, amusing game, full of names I will never remember.
k8to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:15 PM   #710
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8to
Oh, and I finished the last couple battles in Destiny of an Emperor just now. That was a silly, amusing game, full of names I will never remember.
Man, I can totally dig it! Not necessarily about names in games though..

I just watched Samurai Spy this weekend. It was chock-full of intrigue -- no wait, it was exceptionally full of intrigue, more so than many other samurai flicks I've seen. And the names! The names were so important -- and they swam through my head. Yikes!

I just love Samurai Saturdays on IFC.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:34 PM   #711
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

Finished Prince of Persia: Superfluous Angst Crusader on the Gamecube. I still think the first three hours are miserable in every way -- but once I got into the "two towers" segments, the good times started to roll. The series really benefits from the adreniline rushes of the Darhala chases, and I'll even admit to enjoying the combat from time to time. The time travel plot was fairly immersive, and I was completely suckered in by the big "twist" toward the end (though in retrospect, how did I not see it coming???)

I'm glad I stuck with this one; I almost quit but y'all convinced me to keep going. Looking forward to #3.

On the GameCritics scale, I give Warrior Within a 7.5.
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:37 AM   #712
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I finally beat X-Com: UFO Defense. This game is absolutely fantastic, especially towards the beginning. Your weapons are weak, your soldiers untrained, and the enemy unknown. Every battle feels important since you're almost guarenteed to suffer heavy losses. For at least forty hours I felt like I was barely hanging on to survival, even though I was constantly becoming stronger and gaining new abilities... which IMO is the ideal level of difficulty. Unfortunately the difficulty all but vanishes after you've researched some of the more powerful alien technologies, leading to a very unsatisfying conclusion. Still, even with the bad taste the last fifth left, this is one of the best games I've ever played.

Last edited by Zanbatou; 08-25-2005 at 06:39 AM.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:27 AM   #713
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Send a message via MSN to Adelleda

I just beat FF VII again, and tried to do everything i could in one playthrough.

If i missed anything let me know,
Got every charicter to Level 99
Got every ultimate weapon and ultimate limit break.
Defeated Emerald and Ruby.
Got A full set of master materias for each charicter.
Got 99 ribbons (just for the sake of it).
Got 9,999,999 Gil
Got a Tetra elemental for every charicter
Mastered all four "enemy skill" materias.
Got the title of "Better then joe" in the chocobo races with a Regular, green. blue, black and Gold chocobo,
Bread a gold chocobo.
Mastered at least one of every materia in the game
Completed the anchient forest
Got every charicter to 255 in every stat.
Beat the battle arena and Special battle.
Beat all the high scores in Wonder square and Round square.

Have i missed anything? That lot took me round about 80 hours...
Adelleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:00 AM   #714
David Stone
One of uuuuuuussss....

Rep Power: 19 David Stone is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelleda
I just beat FF VII again, and tried to do everything i could in one playthrough.

Got 9,999,999 Gil
Got the title of "Better then joe" in the chocobo races with a Regular, green. blue, black and Gold chocobo,
Bread a gold chocobo.

Yeah you missed something: you didn't tell us which Gameshark codes you used...
David Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:14 AM   #715
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

I didn't, i just got really really bored when my girlfriend was on holiday.
Infact i could even explain how i got each one of those things done

I've never owned a gameshark or any other cheat cart/disk I don't see the point in them. Why cheat? It takes all the challenge and fun out of the game.

Last edited by Adelleda; 08-25-2005 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:29 AM   #716
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelleda

Got 9,999,999 Gil
Bread a gold chocobo.

Do you have 99 of every item available?

Seriously, that's pretty intense what you did.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:49 AM   #717
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Nope, i tried getting every item but then discovered that some of them were one time only pick-ups and i'd missed them earlier in the game. Oh well.

I think the only other items i bothered to get 99 of were regular stuff like X-potions, pheonix downs and sources.

Last edited by Adelleda; 08-25-2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:15 PM   #718
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

What's more surprising to me is that all of that took only 80 hours. My brother beat FFX recently doing only some of the sidequests and it took him 100+ hours.

In other news, PN 03 is out of the way. Screw that game. I enjoyed it for about 5 minutes. For the first quarter of the game, I couldn't tell if I liked it or not because, frankly, I sucked at it. Once I realized that ducking, y'know, existed, I actually got quite good at it, and that's where those five minutes took place. After those five minutes was up, it was boring boring boring boring.

I'm probably the hugest Shinobi fan ever and I thought the environments on PN 03 were boring and repetative. Enough to put me off playing more than an hour or so at a time. And I hated how the actual stages felt more like intermissions between those godawful trial missions. I mean, one of the stages was like five rooms!

The game also desperately needed a radar. I understand that the tank controls was a concious design decision, and I think with some tweaking it could make for a cool game BUT the fact is that Vanessa just can't look around/move fast enough to keep track of all the enemies appearing in a room, not to mention all the projectiles they'll be firing at you. A radar would've solved this.

And this game made me hate upgrades pretty much in all games. What is the point of making the player, say, buy that next suit of armor in an RPG when the next set of enemies will just get proportionally stronger? That's what PN 03 does. At the end I had the highest attack power suit in the game fully upgraded and the enemies took just as long to kill as they did right in the beginning with the original suit. But you had to do it, or else you'd be rediculously weak.

(As and aside, I've noticed that RPGs have been learning their lesson in this regard. FFX, for instance, eliminated "stronger weapons/armor". Each piece of equipment had certain characteristics, and could be customized. Xenosaga 2 got rid of all equipment aside from accessories as well IIRC.)

I also take issue with the grading system in the game. After I got my legs at the game, I would run through comboing regularly, dying never and occasionally getting no hit clears. And the game usually gave me an Amateur or Rookie ranking Strangely, this strategy always got me a Professional rank on the trial missions. Now in the 9th, 10th and 11th stages, after I was getting tired of the game, I ran through recklessly, skipping lots of bad guys altogether and dying frequently (wasn't a problem considering I had about 30 continues saved up). What ranking did I get for those 3 missions? Destroyer of course.

And just a little nitpick, but since the game has such a strong emphasis on dancing, I really wish Vanessa had more moves. Not actual moves per se, but like, more poses when she shot at enemies, and multiple animations for dodging and whatnot. Not a huge deal, but it would add to the whole dancing thing.

I admit that I'm probably doubly (is that a word?) down on this game because it was one half of the Gamecube Holy Grail for me (the other being Gotcha Force, which I still haven't found.). Hearing about it in writing made it one of my biggest must-haves for the system. Being disappointed like this has a way of greatly magnifying any ill will I might've normally felt toward the game.

I will say this though. I thoroughly enjoyed the last boss, which is saying something, considering my attitude of "this game is trash" at the time I fought him. Had I been in a better mood, I'd venture to say that I would have loved the last boss. It's a shame that the rest of the game couldn't be as tightly exciting.

Also, a cool observation. Did anyone else notice that the music for when you play as HUNK in Resident Evil 4 comes from level 8 of this game? Makes me wish they had put Vanessa in Mercenaries too.

(Wow, that's a long post.)
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:25 PM   #719
Boy

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? Not quite, but enough is enough. I got to the last boss and she wields an attack which does more damage than any character actually has, killing my entire party instantly. What's worse is that if you die there you have to fight 3 battles in a row just to get back to where you were. Funnily enough, I never died even once in the game prior to now.

Y'know I really enjoyed this game, which is why I kept on with it for so long. Sure the AI was dumber than a sack of hammers and several of the classes were pretty much just remixed versions of other classes, but I had fun. I felt the easiness was intentional, as it allowed me to screw around with character customization in pretty much any way I pleased. I really hate it when I want to try something new in a game but feel like I can't because I know if it doesn't work out I'll be fucked. FFTA was a breath of fresh air in this regard.

I also kind of liked the bad storyline. Sure it was trite, but I liked to think of Marche as the main Final Fantasy bad guy, y'know destroying the crystals, ruining everyone's day, etc. Made things a lot more interesting IMO.

In the end I was at 70 hours and 200-ish missions completed. That leaves 100 more plus the bonus missions. I wonder how many kids got this game for christmas one year and haven't needed another GBA game since?
Old 09-01-2005, 11:56 PM   #720
Boy

The 7th Saga now. No, I didn't beat it in a day.

There's a certain sense of personal pride from beating this one. I played it long long ago and had deemed it nigh unbeatable. And now I have uhh...beat it. So yay for me!

This game has boring graphics, lame art, a retarded menu system and a bad storyline. Oddly, it's now one of my favorite SNES RPGs. You pick one of seven apprentices to play as, and can ally yourself with one other during the game (you can switch secondary members as often as you want), and even fight them if you want. And this is where the beauty of the game comes into play.

Despite the fact that none of the characters are really elaborated upon in any fashion (and say little, to nothing at all throughout the game), I really felt a connection to them and it was entirely due to my own actions. When an "evil man" who had overthrown a king turned out to be a former ally I felt surpised and even disappointed. And there was a real sense of rivalry between myself and one other apprentice, Valsu, with whom I constantly fought. This was further compounded by the fact that when I got to where the Sky Rune was held, it had already been swiped by one of the six others. The "swiper" turned out to be none other than ol' Valsu. I even felt a certain level of attachment to my main partner, Lux.

Most of these events (the "evil man", the Sky Rune thief and others I haven't mentioned) are completely random, so you never knew who would turn up next. It really felt like I was participating in a living world. It could've been so much more with some extra polish, but even now I can't help but be totally smitten with it. Thumbs up.