About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 08-15-2005, 09:49 AM   #691
Kin Korn Karn

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
Handcannon, GET! That is to say, I beat The Mercenaries minigame on RE4 tonight. I beat all of the missions except for Krauser's in one sitting today, and the only reason I didn't do his was because I finished them last night.
That is incredible. Your hands must have been ready to fall off. Mercenaries is tough to get down.

Quote:
Y'know, I'd love to be able to play as these guys in the main mode. Or at least something a little more robust, like Assignment Ada. I'm not saying The Mercenaries isn't great, just that it went by so quickly. Any word on what extras the PS2 version is getting?
You can do some Action Replay stuff to play as other characters, but it's glitchy, naturally. I think the PS2 version comes with a "making of the game" documentary, and I THINK a few more cutscenes. As big of a fan of the game as I am I still won't pick it up. There's no way the game can play or look better than the GCN version, IMO.

Quote:
Next up, Pro mode with that kickass RPD costume.
Wait til you see Ashley Have fun with Krauser later in the game!
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:20 PM   #692
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Korn Karn
That is incredible. Your hands must have been ready to fall off. Mercenaries is tough to get down.
Dude, it was crazy. I had no trouble at all. I'm no gaming god (PN 03 is kicking my ass right now) so I just chalk it up to some sort of divine intervention. One thing that helped me a lot was that Hunk could break everyone's neck, even the "bosses". I also used a lot of melee attacks. But other than that *shrug*.

And forget Krauser. I'm dead set on killing that El Gigante that you're supposed to run from. Of course, I'm having some problems.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:04 PM   #693
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to change the topic, but Boy, did you start on the very easy difficulty setting for PN03?

The American version of PN03, unlike the Japanese version, is meant to be played through on each difficulty setting in succession. It's pretty much the only way you can ever afford to get the best suits and best power-ups. Without it, you'll have to be a God to beat the last couple levels on the harder difficulty setting.

They actually made the US version of PN03 quite a bit harder than the Japanese version. When I asked Capcom about it (when I did the guidebook for it) my contact couldn't tell me why, but it was confirmed that you are essentially required to play at least several times through in succession to get the best stuff.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:48 PM   #694
gamingguy
God of games

Send a message via AIM to gamingguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbeast
Isn't Ashley supposed to be, like, 17 years old in this game? That's a little too creepy for me.
Well, it is a horror game.

Yeah I'm hung like planet Pluto hard to see with the naked eye
But if I crashed into Uranus I would stick it where the sun don't shine
'Cause I'm kind of like Han Solo always strokin' my own Wookiee
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah but you can call me
Cookie
Looks like a stalemate to me
gamingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:55 PM   #695
HommyGfunk123
Next-Gen Poster

Rep Power: 0 HommyGfunk123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just beat Final Fantasy IX again well earlier this afternoon anyway. The ending is quite sweet and I had little trouble with mr Necro this time around. wahoo
HommyGfunk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:16 PM   #696
Gouty
I don't even like Pokemon

I just beat Skies of Arcadia. And to think it only took me five years.
Gouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 02:29 AM   #697
Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroGamer
Not to change the topic, but Boy, did you start on the very easy difficulty setting for PN03?

The American version of PN03, unlike the Japanese version, is meant to be played through on each difficulty setting in succession. It's pretty much the only way you can ever afford to get the best suits and best power-ups. Without it, you'll have to be a God to beat the last couple levels on the harder difficulty setting.

They actually made the US version of PN03 quite a bit harder than the Japanese version. When I asked Capcom about it (when I did the guidebook for it) my contact couldn't tell me why, but it was confirmed that you are essentially required to play at least several times through in succession to get the best stuff.
I started on US Normal I guess. Sounds like a challenge now, and because of that I can't back down.

But yeah, Capcom does that a lot. Supposedly the US got the hardest version of DMC3 and Viewtiful Joe as well. I remember that Tomonobu Itagaki from Tecmo said in an interview that he liked American gamers better because they played hard games and were "manlier". I suppose maybe that's why?
Old 08-16-2005, 03:40 AM   #698
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, VJ was another one that was much harder in the US. Well, actually, all that was harder was that the powerups cost a lot more. That's the same difference with the US version of PN03 -- nothing is different except the power-ups costing a lot more.

You can still get the best suit by starting on Normal -- but you'll have to play through on Normal a couple times. It's just not mathematically possible to get every suit fully upgraded in one play through. Or even in 2 playthroughs.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 05:05 PM   #699
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Send a message via MSN to Adelleda

MGS3 European extreme mode, my god. (For anyone who doesn't know, fail your mission if you get spotted)

Tried to get every camo and unlockable in one sit through, but missed a bastard frog. *swears profusley*
Adelleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 05:07 PM   #700
Boy

Flashback: The Quest for Identity. The game really needs a new title. You get your memory back in the second level. A better title would be something more like "Alien Genocide".

It's a lot more combat oriented than I remember from ages ago and has the tendancy swing wildly from amazingly fun to freakin' annoying depending on how well you were doing at it. Some of it is pure cheapness. Overall I enjoyed it though.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:33 PM   #701
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I love Flashback... or did, when I played it on the Genesis. I should go back and revisit it myself one of these days. Does anyone here have an opinion on its sequel, Fade to Black?

I beat RE4 (and unlocked all the guns) and Half-Life 2 over the last couple of weeks. I think RE4 had better action, mostly because having different pain animations depending on where the enemy is hit makes a huge, huge difference. The game's core combat system is just a lot of fun, and I'm glad the makers gave us Mercenaries so we can more easily play around with it.

Half-Life 2 is amazing for other reasons though, and I think its the better game overall. It spent a lot of time and energy establishing a good setting, which to me is just as important as having good action. Neither game had a particularly good plot, but HL2's world felt imaginitive and alive, and it made some degree of sense. RE4's did not.

Anyway, I'm really only comparing the two because I played them back to back. Both games are pretty amazing.

Also! I played through a little game called Doukutsu Monogatari... or Cave Story according to the translation patch. It looks and feels like a very good 8-bit Nintendo game, but was released as a freeware PC game in 2004. Also, I hear it was made entirely by one person, who doesn't even work in the game industry. Worth checking out, if only as inspiration for your own independent development projects.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:38 AM   #702
Havblue
Hat Town Resident

I beat Digital Devil Saga over the weekend and was pretty satisfied with it overall. An ending that actually wrapped up at least part of the plot instead of creating more loose threads would have been nice, but on the plus side I think my appetite has been whetted until November's sequel. I'm kinda wondering if the people who've beaten all the bonus bosses on this one and power-leveled their characters will find DDS2 to be a cakewalk. (assuming they play on normal mode)

It's on to Nocturne now and I'm enjoying it, even though it takes an adjustment to deal with the amount of randomness involved between whether your skillset will be comprehensive enough to match the next boss, whether your skills will mutate the correct way, whether the next enemy you meet will critical your hero 4 times and knock off your progress of several hours, etc. Dealing with the chaos... But in the scope of the game world I'm tempted to put an end to it.

The press turn system has got to be the end-all be-all of console RPG systems in keeping the gamer constantly on his toes.
Havblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:22 PM   #703
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

Just beat Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. While the music and dialogue were cringe-worthy, I thought it was actually a pretty decent game. Not as good as Sands of Time by any stretch, but it was fun and I did actually enjoy some of the combat this time.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:13 AM   #704
Boy

Beat Landstalker for the crotchety old Genesis. Man, that game...

It was cool sometimes. It had some really intelligent puzzle design. On top of that it had a great sense of humor. But the graphics were ugly for even a Genesis game, and it was really held back by what me and my brother liked to call the "4th Dimension".

Basically, since the game took place on an isometric angle and a lot of the puzzles were very spatial in nature it's like "what direction do I need to jump in to get on that platform, or is it too high for me to even get to from here?" This happened ALL the time. And it was always annoying. Anytime I started screwing up on one of them me and my bro would start making smart remarks about the fourth dimension.

Additionally it had some of the most insidious level design ever. In many of the dungeons (especially the later, bigger ones) it's like, if you chose a "wrong" path it would end up being a one way trip to the beginning of the dungeon. Meaning you had to fight all those bad guys, solve most of the puzzles and navigate all the platforming segments all over again in an attempt to get back to where you were. It practially punished you for exploring. And forget drawing a map, unless you have a degree in architecture. Since paths in individual rooms overlapped one another on top of having many floors in a single dungeon...y'know.

In the end, it seemed unfinished. Several characters just kind of dropped from existence part of the way through, one of which actually seemed important. And the actual ending of the game was extremely abrupt and anti-climactic.

In the end though I liked it better than Alundra, which is saying something I guess.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:27 PM   #705
legendarypegasu
64-bit Poster

Rep Power: 13 legendarypegasu is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to legendarypegasu

I beat Mercenaries, well not really beat, just got tired of it. I just never found the game to be all that interesting. The loading times really bring the game down, especially since it relies on try and repeat game play.