About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 07-15-2005, 02:03 AM   #661
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

EnduroGamer wrote
Quote:
My hat is off to you sir. That is truly an outstanding accomplishment and, in my opinion, ranks right up there with Nicato's beating of Ultra V-Rated mode in Viewtiful Joe as the two most notable completions I've seen posted on this thread.
But I beat Civilization III on deity... years ago... near the beginning of this thread. Don't think I've completed anything at all since then... except Katamari Damacy, I guess. The game that everyone here has probably beaten.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:45 PM   #662
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

Just finished Prince of Persia: Sand Andreas. What a wonderful, wonderful game. There's very little I can say about it that hasn't already been thought of, so I'll just say this: More games should use shirtlessness as a visual indicator of your game progress. I mean, why not?

On the GameCritics scale, I give PoP:SoT a smokin' hot 9.0.
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 05:34 PM   #663
Jerm
16-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelT
Just finished Prince of Persia: Sand Andreas.
LOL!

That is one awesome slip up. Had to quote before you edited it

Ahem...anyway, carry on.

EDIT: Aw, schucks--considering your Star Wars 'slip up', it looks like you were being intentionally funny. Maaaan, you ruined it!

Last edited by Jerm; 07-15-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:39 AM   #664
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

I just beat Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War on the main story mode. I wish I didn't have so many games on the backburner, as I'd love to discover every ounce of gameplay in this gem.

Not to mention the story is always great, and the radio chatter makes you feel like a hero... except for when you hear the same thing 8 times cause you keep dying.

Beautiful game on the whole tho.

Up next: Killer7
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:07 PM   #665
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

I beat Astro Boy: Omega Factor yesterday night. I was very cold to the game for a very long time. About 1/4 of the way through "Rebirth" I began to like the game significanly more. By the time I beat the game I was pretty happy with it, but I'm still not sure about all the "best game on GBA" stuff. It's got some annoying quirks that never did cease to annoy me, even in the end.

And just now I finished Killer 7. All the comments about it being similar to Silent Hill are dead on. Crazy story that's not about what it's about? Check. Lame gameplay? Check. I kinda like how self-aware the game was about it. Rings? Odd Engravings? It's like the game was straight up saying "Yes, I know these are pointless 'fetch me' items. We're just trying to artificially extend gameplay, deal with it." Great stuff overall.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:05 PM   #666
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

Super Mario Sunshine. No witty play on words for this one. 73 shines (47 off the total, I know) and I'm done. I enjoyed some of it, hated a little of it, but was mostly just plain frustrated and disappointed.

When you beat a game and you feel relieved instead of satisfied, something's wrong. On the GC scale, I give it a 5.5 out of 10. Cheers and aloha.
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:30 PM   #667
k8to
Chief Mallard

Since I last visited these hallowed halls of gaming discussion, I have finished some games:
  • Xenosaga Ep. 2: I spent too long trying to finish sidequests before the end. It diluted the whole experience, which wasn't so hot to begin with. Definitely a step down from Xenosaga Ep 1.
  • Prince of Persia: Sands of Time This was jolly good fun as you're all well aware. The characterization was simultaneously stereotypical but yet pleasantly textured and believable. Everything else was bloody brilliant. Even the camera was only infuriatingly unhelpful about 4-5 times in the whole game.
  • Miracle Warriors: A truly ancient Sega Master System RPG-like game. This one has lain half-finished on my hard drive for years. I defeated the green, winged, and large-boobed demon to make the world safe from indecent exposure.
  • Freeciv: I finally won a game of this stupid thing. I'm not very good at it, you see.
  • Katamari Damacy: I've achieved every goal save the largest cow and bear, and I'm just going to pretend those don't exist.
  • Heroes of Might and Magic 4: I figured how to run windows games for this. I liked 3 as the tighter game, but this was amusing.
  • Bureaucracy: the Douglas Adams written Infocom text adventure. I played with a friend using ssh, screen, and frotz over the internet. It was funny at times, and pointlessly arbitrary at others. The most milage you get out of this game is by trying silly stuff you're sure will make you lose and reading the hilarious results. We started The Lurking Horror for our next trick.

I think that's about it.

Last edited by k8to; 07-22-2005 at 04:40 PM.
k8to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:10 PM   #668
Low Emissions
64-bit Poster

Rep Power: 13 Low Emissions is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Low Emissions

It's been ages since I've actually beaten a game, but just the other day I finished Doom 3 on the Xbox. I haven't played any multiplayer, but based on the single player campaign only, the game was a bit... meh. I think that's the best way to describe it. Far from bad but far from perfect. Sure the game is technically pretty amazing, and initially the cheap scares, well, scared the bejebus out of me, I found that about 1/3 of the way through the game I just sort of lost interest. Not enough enemy variety, not really enough 'scenery' so to speak, not a satisfying array of weapons, and the story all but disappeared. Then 2/3 of the way I was back into the game, wondering what was going to happen next, and then some guy turns into some monster and the story all but falls apart. I love the ending, though... the dragon thingy was pretty sweet. :P

-- 7.0 / 10
Old 07-23-2005, 03:31 AM   #669
Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8to
Xenosaga Ep. 2: I spent too long trying to finish sidequests before the end. It diluted the whole experience, which wasn't so hot to begin with. Definitely a step down from Xenosaga Ep 1.0
I think that's about it.
I'm curious, what did you like less about it than Ep. 1? Personally I thought X2 was far and away the better game which is mostly why I'm wondering.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:10 PM   #670
k8to
Chief Mallard

Quote:
I'm curious, what did you like less about it than Ep. 1? Personally I thought X2 was far and away the better game which is mostly why I'm wondering.
Guh forums! If only this was a wiki I wouldn't have to worry about the discursionary conversation.

Anyway, I felt the plotline shifted from some kind of political intrigue with major anime elements to a more stereotypical anime storyline. Many of the ambiguities were semi-resolved in ways I found boring. Making the executive seem to have supernatural powers diluted his interest to me a good deal. The summoning of ever larger spaceships out of nowhere seemed much worse this time around, both becuase of a lack of novelty, and because most of the players in Ep 1 were at least foreshadowed. In general it became much more of a toy universe to me.

The voice acting didn't help either. Momo was a definite improvement, but Chaos, the redhaired guy, and Kos-mos, were all definite let-downs. Both games suffered from a bizarre affliction that affects many games where the timing of the voice acting seems to wait for the subtitles to appear, pausing midsentence, midphrase, midsentiment.

Also some of the emotional content just didn't work for me. The Jin/Shion relationship could have been interesting, but sounded very phony to me. Junior and Albedo carried it off mostly, but I wished more of the complexity hadn't waited until the end, and his "feelings" for Momo just don't make sense to my american mind. I don't have the penchant for japanese schoolgirl love.

Also I thought the combat system was not as much fun. Optimal play seemed to devolve into stocking until full and then releasing ludicrous combos with huge elemental modifiers. Ep.1 had the possibility for munchkinning also but I felt the need to be a good deal more tactical. There _were_ some fun challenging fights in Ep.2 but mostly aftergame ones where I didn't realize I could use the erde kaiser instead.
k8to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:03 PM   #671
Boy

Oh yeah, I beat Bomberman DS. Pfft, lame. It took all of 2 whole hours for the single player mode. I only bought it for the multiplay but I figured I'd screw around with the single player because none of my friends have DSs yet.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:49 PM   #672
Apossum
Transport is arranged

Just finished Melty Blood ReAct:Final Tuned(Japan only fighter for the PC) but I beat it like once a day, so it's not much of an accomplishment wish I knew japanese!

also beat Riviera for the GBA. What started out as a love/hate relationship snowballed into a full on addiction. When I said "Goodnight" to people it really meant "I'm going to go play Riviera for 3 hours and then hopefully fall asleep." :-)

up next: Astro Boy: Omega Factor, Melty Blood (x10), Digital Devil Saga, Mario World GBA, and maybe Eternal Darkness..

K8to- totally agree with you about Ep.2. I finished the first disc then traded it right in. What a let down that game was.
Apossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 03:26 AM   #673
JackSlack
Proud Supporter of Pants

Crimson Skies: The High Road to Revenge is done with. And yes, there's some of that relief, "It's done!" than joy, but I'd still say it's a good game. Not great, but good. Above average.

Anyway, I enjoyed it.
JackSlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 12:12 AM   #674
gamingguy
God of games

Send a message via AIM to gamingguy

I just beat Destroy All Humans! It's a fun game, but the amount of graphic draw-in is infuruating. I was running into a plane in the Area 42 mission and it didn't appear. But besides that, it's fun picking up cars and throwing them into buildings, or leveling a town in your saucer, or hypnotizing a guy so he acts like a monkey. I enjoyed it, but it's short and not the greatest game, so I only suggest a rent.

Yeah I'm hung like planet Pluto hard to see with the naked eye
But if I crashed into Uranus I would stick it where the sun don't shine
'Cause I'm kind of like Han Solo always strokin' my own Wookiee
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah but you can call me
Cookie
Looks like a stalemate to me
gamingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:30 PM   #675
Boy

Final Fantasy X-2. Wow, lame. The gameplay was at times pretty fun, which is really the only reason I bothered to continue to the end. But even it wasn't flawless, as I lost count of the number of times my ATB gauge (or gauges as the case sometimes was) was completely full but the enemy would sometimes get to have a turn or two regardless. And don't get me started on how the character's stupid little quips delay their own actions but don't stop the enemy from continuing their onslaught.

But yeah, when that crap wasn't going on, it was pretty fun. I'm usually a sucker for job systems and this was no exception. I would've played it much more extensively but between the aformentioned gameplay funkiness, the stupid storyline, plainly evident developer laziness (The last boss uses Tidus' exact moves for crying out loud. Same stance and everything!) and annoying changes to the world of Spira and the denizens therein I simply couldn't continue.

And I have to ask:

What. The. Hell....did they do to blitzball?