About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 07-04-2005, 09:46 PM   #646
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

I finished and unlocked everything in Mario Party Advance: Yo, Mario, You Call Dis a Party? The game is poop in a cartridge. I bought it for a long car trip this weekend, assuming it'd be at least similar in tone and play to the GC games, which I'm a big fan of. No, no. The GBA version has ONE board, and that ONE board merely provides the framework for a lousy series of fetch quests with some crappy mini-games sprinkled on top. Everything this game has to offer, you'll experience in the first 30 minutes of play. The unlockables are a joke. Avoid at all costs.
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 10:51 AM   #647
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCesar
Baten Kaitos

Finally finished it! What a great ending!

I want the soundtrack now
Out of curiosity, how many hours did you put in?
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:48 PM   #648
TXCesar
New Poster

My very last save read 62 hours. This was before the ending sequence which took about 45 minutes. Keep in mind I left two of the more time intensive side quests incomplete.

When it was all over it sure didn't feel like 62 hours but I was still amazed I stuck with it for so long.

Good stuff though, a pity the voiceovers were so dreadful (with the exception of the Great Mizuti )
TXCesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:51 AM   #649
JackSlack
Proud Supporter of Pants

The local EB was having a sale, and I saw Chronicles of Riddick for 40 bucks Australian. Since I'm not usually a big FPS person, and I'm especially not usually a dark-gritty FPS person (the only FPS I've truly dug on the current consoles is Timesplitters) I decided to give it a rent first.

Damn glad I did. Finished it, and I'll be returning it a day early.

It's not bad, by any means, but it's not really that revolutionary, the story is not really that great, and the movement options are interesting but overall detract from the flow of gameplay that a good FPS has, although they add to the variety of gameplay.

I do, however, adore the ending. You know that shotgun turnaround effect Daniel Weissenberger was talking about? Yeah. Like that, only fifty-kajillion times moreso. Booyah!
JackSlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:40 PM   #650
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

Beat Kirby: Cursed Canvas, but my ending % is about 45%, soo I got a ways to go with medals and stuff. Its really fun, but it can get really really hard.

After that, then Meteos!
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 03:27 PM   #651
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Digital Devil Saga has been defeated. Took out all the secret bosses and learned nearly all the mantras. Well, that's actually untrue. I didn't mess with the SUPER DUPER SECRET BOSS (no points for guessing who it is) but that's because after reading about him I'm convinced he's an utterly cheap luckfest. People going through the trouble to get all their characters to level 99 with 99 on all stats and still getting owned by a one-hit kill everyone attack? Having to follow and extremely rigid strategy in order to even have a small chance at winning? You're better than that MegaTen! Besides you have to play all the way through the game a second time up til the very end in order to even fight him.

I have to say though that this game gave me a better appreciation of Final Fantasy X (not to say I wasn't completely in love with it already) and I think I might be playing it again really soon. I never realized what great gameplay that one had. Ok, I did, but DDS made me realize that it was even awesomer that I had previously though.

I can't get enough of this shit though. These games completely and utterly trounce most every RPG ever in both gameplay and content. I'm ecstatic that we're just going to be seeing more and more of it in the future. In the meantime I'll be tracking down all the old SMT games that I've missed in the past.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 03:45 PM   #652
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
I have to say though that this game gave me a better appreciation of Final Fantasy X (not to say I wasn't completely in love with it already) and I think I might be playing it again really soon. I never realized what great gameplay that one had. Ok, I did, but DDS made me realize that it was even awesomer that I had previously though.
So, is DDS way better than FFX? Nocturne better than FFX? I liked FFX, but I thought it wasn't all that spectacular. If the SMT games are better than the norm then I may look into them.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:49 PM   #653
Boy

SMT games are better than the norm. I have no reservations about making that statement.

Now Nocturne is my new "favorite game of all time" so of course I think it's better than FFX. DDS vs FFX is a little more tricky but that's only because I think they're both extremely awesome. It's hard to make a direct comparison though. The only reason DDS helped me like FFX even more was because it had the Mantra Grid, which was like an extremely modified Sphere Grid. I'm a sucker for grids I guess.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:36 PM   #654
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

Just finished Star Wars: Republicans Going Commando for the PC. I suppose it's a tactical, squad-based shooter, though I haven't really played many of those and can't properly compare it to anything. As a FPS, it was merely average, and success was met easily by finding the squad "hotspots" and making sure everyone was juiced on healing bacta. The game also suffers from not being Half-Life 2. As a Star Wars game, it was refreshing to have a game devoid of Jedi action and I'd like to see more of them.

On the GameCritics.com scale, I give it a 6.0.
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:08 AM   #655
Andrew Fletcher
16-bit Poster

Rep Power: 12 Andrew Fletcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Amplitude on INSANE mode. A mode fully deserving of its capitalisation and one of the hardest and most exhilirating gaming challenges I've ever set myself.

So that's Frequency and Amplitude both dusted on their hardest settings. Bring on Guitar Hero!
Andrew Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:18 AM   #656
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelT
Just finished Star Wars: Republicans Going Commando for the PC.
Heh, good 'un.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:31 PM   #657
Boy

Beat Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders today, all campaigns. I think Kendal's was probably my favorite being that it had the most missions. It's a really sweet game, and I enjoyed the Drakengard/Berserk-style twist towards the end. The heavy metal soundtrack couldn't have been more suitable. I'm ready for the sequel.

My only complaint (and it's hardly a complaint) would that it went very Dynasty Warriors towards the very end of the last couple campaigns. I mean, one only needs to look at my game collection to see that I dig the "large-scale brawl" genre but I really enjoyed the RTS elements and I was a little miffed to see them taper off in the very end, right after I was getting really into it.

Oh, and County Carnival kicks all kinds of ass.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:10 AM   #658
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC_Andrew
Amplitude on INSANE mode. A mode fully deserving of its capitalisation and one of the hardest and most exhilirating gaming challenges I've ever set myself.

So that's Frequency and Amplitude both dusted on their hardest settings. Bring on Guitar Hero!
My hat is off to you sir. That is truly an outstanding accomplishment and, in my opinion, ranks right up there with Nicato's beating of Ultra V-Rated mode in Viewtiful Joe as the two most notable completions I've seen posted on this thread.

[insert hand-clapping gif right here]
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:36 AM   #659
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroGamer
My hat is off to you sir. That is truly an outstanding accomplishment and, in my opinion, ranks right up there with Nicato's beating of Ultra V-Rated mode in Viewtiful Joe as the two most notable completions I've seen posted on this thread.

[insert hand-clapping gif right here]
What? So my beating Katamari Damacy is chopped liver now?
Old 07-14-2005, 11:54 PM   #660
legendarypegasu
64-bit Poster

Rep Power: 13 legendarypegasu is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to legendarypegasu

SMT: Digital Devil Saga. Simply an incredible game, easily the best RPG I have played this gen and perhaps of all that I have played. I will holf my final judgement until I play part 2 and see how well the story turns out and whether Altus could have just made one game instead of two. Nocturne is sitting on my shelf right now and after the incredible experience that was DDS, I think i'm going to play it next.