About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 03-13-2005, 06:20 PM   #541
Reharl

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

It's been a while since I posted here.

I finished the main story from San Andreas last Saturday and overall, it's a tremendous game. I would have liked it a lot more if it hadn't corrupted my save games halfway through, though... Perhaps I'm still going to hit some enemy turfs and play around with the Hydra, but I think I'm done with the game.

On another note, I've also called it quits for Wipeout:Fusion. I'm not a diehard follower of the series so I can't comment on the amount of flak this installment received. For what it's worth, I though it was an entertaining experience, albeit very unbalanced. The tracks were rather awkward, the AI ganged up on you and the ships were not that great.

Zone Mode, on the other hand, is truly worth the price of admission. Speeding at 30000mph with continuous boosts and no brakes, all while listening to the excellent tecnho-trance soundtrack was a fabulous experience.
Reharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:50 AM   #542
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

I finished Smash T.V. on the Midway Arcade Treasures Volume 1 disc.

"Big Money! Big Prizes! Big Disappointment! I'm indifferent!"
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:36 PM   #543
Snack Eater
64-bit Poster

Rep Power: 11 Snack Eater is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Snack Eater

I beat Silent Hill 4 yesterday with the super-happy cheery ending, and aside from a great chilling moment near the climax, (all about what's on the other side of that wall in your room) I wasn't as impressed as I was with the other games. There might be an awesome, depressing ending I'm missing out on, but the ending didn't quite live up to what I thought I should have gotten after going through the ordeal of backtracking for the entire second half of the game with a limping bitch and a long haired psycho that looks like Jesus with acne on my tail.

I'm finishing up my survival horror collection next weekend by finally finishing Fatal Frame 2, which is an amazingly creepy game, but the directions on what to do are way too vague sometimes and I keep resorting to a handy-dandy walkthrough.
Snack Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:16 PM   #544
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reharl

Zone Mode, on the other hand, is truly worth the price of admission. Speeding at 30000mph with continuous boosts and no brakes, all while listening to the excellent tecnho-trance soundtrack was a fabulous experience.
I enjoy stuff like that, but I wish the game designers wouldn't be so cheesy with the speeds they display. 30,000 mph? Give me a break.

That's 500 miles a minute! Doing one lap with real distances would be like circumnavigating the continental US, or at the very least (for a small circuit), like circling Texas!

I can just picture writing a course summary...

Accelerate hard through Virginia, but gently ease off the throttle and swing wide to the left as you descend out of Shenandoah to set up for a nasty chicane the length of Delaware and Maryland... Watch out for the blind turn into Long Island.

EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:12 PM   #545
technomancy
Registered LUser

Rep Power: 19 technomancy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroGamer
Accelerate hard through Virginia, but gently ease off the throttle and swing wide to the left as you descend out of Shenandoah to set up for a nasty chicane the length of Delaware and Maryland... Watch out for the blind turn into Long Island.
Sir, I wish to purchase your game.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:52 AM   #546
Reharl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroGamer
I enjoy stuff like that, but I wish the game designers wouldn't be so cheesy with the speeds they display. 30,000 mph? Give me a break.
[/i]
Nah, that was just me exaggerating the speed. It's probably a lot less but I'm not even sure Zone Mode has a counter: it's all so fast that one look outside of the track will make your craft desintegrate in an instant. I'll go back and see how fast it really is in miles or kilometres, but I think it only has a generic score counter. The goal is simply to survive for 300 long seconds.

It feels that speedy, though.
Reharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:35 AM   #547
Song Jiang
Nicaraguense

Just beat Dragon Quest VIII. It was a very satisfying adventure, but somehow didn't feel like it was "packed" with as much content and story as DQ VII did (for all of the 3 of you out there who played that one).

** Mild spoiler **

Not that the story really strayed that far from typical fantasy RPG fare, but the number and quality of side plots and "character filling out" events still kept up to the DQ standard.

Still, the graphical style of the game really lets Akira Toriyama's distinct art style shine through and lends a surprising amount of depth to the characters. I was better able to connect with the characters in this game than in the previous DQ.

For those of you who liked what DQ VII had to offer but just couldn't get past the fuggly graphics, I recommend checking this one out (it IS coming to regions outside of Japan, isn't it??).

Next target: Tales of Rebirth.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:10 AM   #548
3d-Rich
New Poster

Games recently finished:

Paper Mario: the thousand-year door. It is a good game, but I feel that Super Mario RPG still remains the best of the 3 Mario RPGs.

Gradius V. This is a great shooting game that becomes very challenging yet never too frustrating.

Resident Evil 4. The best game I have played in years.
3d-Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:10 AM   #549
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d-Rich
Games recently finished:

Paper Mario: the thousand-year door. It is a good game, but I feel that Super Mario RPG still remains the best of the 3 Mario RPGs.
I'm intrigued. You aren't the only person I have heard say this. I need to get those other two games and give 'em a shot.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 07:18 AM   #550
legendarypegasu
64-bit Poster

Rep Power: 13 legendarypegasu is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to legendarypegasu

I beat Paper Mario: Tne Thousand Year Door last night/ Its a very good game. The light hearted and genuinly funny story is a nice break from the standard RPG fare. I did get tired of it in the last few hours. I'm going to agree with 3D-Rich and say Super Mario RPG is still my favorite of the mario RPG series.

I decided to put Windwaker on the backburner for a while. I'm just not enjoying it. Its a very good game, but there is nothing about the game which makes me want to keep playing other then just completeting it. Hopefully when I come back to it, I'll enjoy it more.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:36 AM   #551
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

I finished Zelda XII: Gettin' Mini yesterday. I think I'm going to try a Public Opinion on this so I'm going to hold off on detailed impressions, but in a word: Meh.
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:51 PM   #552
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Finished Myst IV: Revelation a few days ago, after playing the first three for the first time. In my opinion, Revelation is the best of them all, more brilliant even than the first. And the graphics... oh, the graphics. My jaw developed a nice relationship with the floor. Especially in Spire. And even though the Ages are totally different from each other, the game never feels disjointed like Myst III. But there is one thing that bothered me about the game: When the graphics, the sound, and the story are all working so hard at making the game worlds believable, why on Earth would they get such lousy actors? It completely ruins the immersion they're going for. The only tolerable performance is that of Rand Miller (creator of the series), and he's not even a professional actor! But overall, I can't recommend the game enough for people who enjoyed the first two.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:58 PM   #553
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelT
I finished Zelda XII: Gettin' Mini yesterday. I think I'm going to try a Public Opinion on this so I'm going to hold off on detailed impressions, but in a word: Meh.
Hmm. It's disheartening to hear this kind of reaction from so many people. I wanted to get this game, being a Zelda nut and all, but so many people on this board and on other sites have said that it's no different than the other 2D Zeldas, and that would be a sin for a Zelda game. I see no reason to not believe these comments, though, since it's not made by EAD but by a team whose games I have never played. So what do you think, should I not get it?
Old 03-20-2005, 09:05 PM   #554
fishgills7
Tatsmaksenpuken

Just beat Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Punch Out (beat the 3 default championships) in quick succession.

Good times, classic games. But Special Championship in Punch Out is a bitch.

I've also picked up the original Punch Out, which, except for the graphics and sound quality, is superior in every way. Why oh why did they take out the 3 knockdown/3 round rule? And the rest time between rounds, with Doc yelling over your shoulder, "Stick and move! Stick and move!" is just brilliant and sorely missed. And for some inane stupid reason, in Super Punch Out, you automatically lose if you don't KO the guy in one round.

Last edited by fishgills7; 03-20-2005 at 09:10 PM.
fishgills7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:41 PM   #555
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
Hmm. It's disheartening to hear this kind of reaction from so many people. I wanted to get this game, being a Zelda nut and all, but so many people on this board and on other sites have said that it's no different than the other 2D Zeldas, and that would be a sin for a Zelda game. I see no reason to not believe these comments, though, since it's not made by EAD but by a team whose games I have never played. So what do you think, should I not get it?

I thought it had a lot of potential in the beginning. The first few items are completely new to the Zelda franchise and pretty cool to boot. But then the game started to feel really familiar, and I was disappointed by the size of the overworld. I hope the new GC Zelda doesn't feel like too much of a rehash. I guess that's the problem with releasing so many Zelda games in so little time.

Anyways, I just beat RE4. Great fun. It probably would have started to feel really repetitive but I went on a week long trip about halfway through.