About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 01-04-2005, 12:41 AM   #436
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Beat Kirby's Dream Land 3 for SNES. My parents picked it up for me recently. I've been wanting this game forever! I sound like a 5 year old, don't I?

Anyways, This game is like...amazing. Really. For the longest time I was wondering how such a totally astonishing game could have slipped under the radar. Then I found out it was released in 1997. Y'know...1997...the year FF7 came out...for the Sony Playstation. So yeah.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:30 PM   #437
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

Mega Man Five. The first of the games I'd never played. Not too shabby! The bosses in the castle weren't terribly creative, but I thought standard eight baddies were all classic Mega Man. A couple great levels too, Gravity Man in particular.
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:32 PM   #438
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

BoF: DQ
I /really, really, really/ enjoyed this game, and I put far too many hours into it (considering I only SOL restarted once before getting to the end). I do plan on going back to it and some point, because I'd like to see all the scenes. (The additional scenes really do add to the story.) But not now; there's far too much on my plate besides it.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 05:52 PM   #439
Qikdraw

What's BoF: DQ?

Qikdraw

My Blog
Qikdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 05:57 PM   #440
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter

Yup
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:08 PM   #441
Qikdraw

Ah.

Thanks for the info.

Qikdraw

My Blog
Qikdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:41 PM   #442
keele864
16-bit Poster

I beat Growlanser II: The Sense of Justice last night. Now I'm going to start playing Growlanser III, the second half of the Growlanser Generations compilation.
keele864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:58 PM   #443
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

Just finished Mega Man VI: The Undiscovered Country. By far, the easiest of the NES-era games.
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 10:28 AM   #444
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Sorry I didn't see your post until now, Qik, but yep, keele's right. Objectively, I'd probably give the game between a 7.5 and 8.0, but because of the way it hooked me (practically unbelievable for me -- no game has obsessed me like that one did), I'd personally score it a bit higher, probably about a 9.0. (People are so weird -- they get addicted to the strangest things.. )

Say keele, did you play it? If so, what'd ya think?
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:02 AM   #445
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

Just beat Red Faction

The final boss fight pretty much sucked.

Glitchy AI or something, i just climbed up a ladder and she didnt move or shoot at me, so i blasted away her shield, and then bunny hopped around her with my big machine gun.

Pretty underwhelming game overall, but a fun little runthrough. Worth the $6 i payed for.
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 02:36 AM   #446
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

I enjoyed Red Faction enough at the time, although I played it about 3 years ago and it probably wouldn't hold up anymore. I wish they would have allowed the player to take advantage of that Geomod engine more than it allowed. That being said, the fact that Red Faction had bots and Halo didn't netted more hours spent singlelayer-multiplaying for me on Red Faction. Red Faction multiplayer was pretty fun--some odd maps, though.

As for my progress on Gladius, I'm closing in on the end. I'm just about done with the 4th region and then it's on to Caltha for the "High Tournaments".

Nothing like winning a battle and racking up over 40,000 EXP per gladiator! I am a little worried about the level cap being 30 and my best gladiator only being at level 15. If I get to the High Tournaments and get schooled by a bunch of level 28 butchers, I'm gonna be pissed!
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 05:34 AM   #447
GC_Thom
Bad Person of the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlack
Huh. That was indeed it.

What were the Vagos doing all the way up there? Damn. Thanks for the help!
It's a bug where if you spend a fair amount of time just tooling around in planes far away from the island of San Andreas, the game will generate gang territory in cities other than Los Santos.

I never had it happen to myself, but my co-worker had the 'rich' neighborhood in San Fierro become Ballers territory, which confused us for quite a while before we found it.

Supposedly if you spend a huge amount of time flying around out there, more and more territories are generated, although again I haven't seen this myself, aside from that one time.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:54 PM   #448
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Whoo-hooo! I finally beat Gladius.

Clocked in at exactly 51 hours. Not sure what to really make of this thing because the game was definitely repetitive (even more than usual for a strategy RPG) and for the first 40 hours or so, you'd play 10 hours worth of battles and net yourself maybe 10 minutes of story. Then, in a twist, the final 6 hours or so are all about the story, but even then the game is on rails.

It's a good game in terms of mechanics and your ability to customize your gladiator school, but there could have been a lot more done to add some variety aside from the occasional King of the Hill battle.

There's probably about another 10 hours of battles that I could have won for additional money and EXP, but as it was, I was kicking ass the whole way and finished with well over 300,000 unspent Dinar. One let down was the fact that the game includes optional side-quests that you can partake in by talking with NPC's on the world map. Well, HELLO?, after running all over the world map between arenas I only ever received 1 side-quest and that was in the first region. Every other NPC I talked to either heckled me, praised me, or ignored me. What's up with that?

Anyway, not to spoil anything, but the game's ending definitely hints at a sequel. I'll get it, for sure, but it better not come out anytime soon because i am definitely burned out on strategy rpgs for a while. I put about 27 hours in on this since picking it back up 10 days ago. Glad it's over.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:47 AM   #449
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

Katamari Damacy

I rolled up several islands, rainbows, and gods yesterday and made myself a moon.

Still got some more stars and constellations to make but I think that's technically beating it.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:42 PM   #450
David Stone
One of uuuuuuussss....

Rep Power: 18 David Stone is an unknown quantity at this point

Metal Gear Solid 3. I'm convinced that it was the game the PS2 was built to play. What a mindf**k, but still, what a birlliant title. Now to play through the Monkey Hunt. Or whatever it's called.
David Stone is offline   Reply With Quote