About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 03-10-2004, 04:31 AM   #31
DarkStar
New Poster

Just beat Ninga Gaiden....barely. Damn that's a hard game.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 11:29 AM   #32
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

Haven't beaten it yet (on hard) but I just got 100% on Metroid Prime. Damn I forgot how much I loved this game. Just gotta kill me some Ridley and Prime and I'm done. It's so much easier for me this time, too, even on hard.

The only really hard part of the game has been the hard version of the Guantlet of Neverending Pain. I remember having trouble on easy but Whoo-BOY was that hard on hard. But I found a secret! [SPOILER PERHAPS?] In that room with the spider tracks that you can move around, if you line up the red tracks you can go up to the second level and, if you hang over the edge and bomb, bomb yourself on top of the track. Then, if you get out of the ball on top of the red track overhang you can jump up to where the Grapple Beam is before you've got the Power Bombs yet. This effectively gives you a save point right in the middle of the Guantlet of Excruciating Evil (Main Quarry's Save Station).
Old 03-10-2004, 11:48 AM   #33
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally posted by jwe8k
But I found a secret! [SPOILER PERHAPS?]
This is the beauty of the Metroid games: sequence breaking. You'd be amazed what some people have found out about getting through Prime while skipping entire sequences. SPOILERS Have you seen the one about getting the space jump boots right when you start the game? Literally, you jump off your ship to get them.

Anyhow, I'm slowly doing the hard runthrough and I'm still having a hard time with Omega Pirate. That battle makes my hands hurt. Really, from there everything is downhill.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 11:55 AM   #34
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

I actually beat DX2:IW a couple of weeks ago (and saved appropriately so I could see all four endings). Yay for me!

I have to say that while I really enjoyed the game (but not as much as the first one), the endings (all of them) left a lot to be desired.

BTW, I'm not even going to list back-burner games, b/c I switch between so many, so often. One thing though, I'm kinda pissed b/c I went back to finish Splinter Cell since the new one's gonna be out any day now (I think). I was a good three-quarters done, only to find out that /somehow/ my game had got eaten or something. Bother! I've redone the first level, and I guess I'm gonna try and sally-forth or something.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
– Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 12:25 PM   #35
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

Quote:
Originally posted by Kin Korn Karn

This is the beauty of the Metroid games: sequence breaking. You'd be amazed what some people have found out about getting through Prime while skipping entire sequences. SPOILERS Have you seen the one about getting the space jump boots right when you start the game? Literally, you jump off your ship to get them.

Anyhow, I'm slowly doing the hard runthrough and I'm still having a hard time with Omega Pirate. That battle makes my hands hurt. Really, from there everything is downhill.
Yeah, a coworker of mine told me about the Space Jump secret. I haven't tried it yet.

I had a little trouble with the Omega Pirate until I realized two things: stay the hell away from him and don't waste missles on his armor. Also, if you're lucky you'll be confronted mainly by Ice Troopers. Just keep dashing around him and he can't do that evil bitch slap. Morph dash away if you let him box you in. Jumping his purple rings or dashing away from his bombs are easy. I used charged power shots on his armor so I could have plenty of super missles for his phazon-form and any Power Troopers he spawned.

God, I love Metroid. I think it's surpassed my love of Zelda. I've gotten through all the Metroid games at least twice now (even Zero Mission) with the exception of Prime, which I'm about to finish at 100%. The original Metroid I probably beat 5 or 6 times, II I beat around 4 times, Super Metroid, God, probably 15 times and IV, Zero Mission and Prime each twice. For comparison, I probably beat Zelda 1 and 3 5 times each, 2, 4, and 5 twice each and the rest I never bothered to pick up a second time.

Does anybody else just keep beating old games they love rather than play all the new, unbeaten ones they have sitting dusty on their shelves?
Old 03-10-2004, 02:12 PM   #36
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally posted by jwe8k

God, I love Metroid.
Me too. While I haven't beaten the original in several years (all told, I've run through it countless times), I still run through Super Metroid every now and then and totally dig Prime. Zero Mission, too, is superb. Never played Metroid 2 (didn't have a GB then). Fusion, on the other hand, is a blemish. To me I liken it to the blemish that is Majora's Mask for the Zelda franchise.

Quote:
Does anybody else just keep beating old games they love rather than play all the new, unbeaten ones they have sitting dusty on their shelves?
This is totally a description of me. I go out and buy new games on a fairly regular basis, but I have yet to beat most of them. It's because I start to get an itch to pick up games that I have already plowed through many times. For instance: I'm running through Phantasy Star 1 (albeit on the GBA) and Chrono Trigger right now, on top of my newer games. I liken them to good books: I'll keep 'em because I'll always re-read them.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 04:26 PM   #37
Nicato
Next-Gen Poster

Today, I beat Viewtiful Joe on Ultra V-Rated mode.
Nicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 09:15 PM   #38
Gouty
I don't even like Pokemon

Put me down for Ninja Gaiden. Tough, but not that tough.
Gouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 07:27 AM   #39
Pvt. Wain
New Poster

Also done with Ninja Gaiden. Promptly finished Otogi after that and I'm a stone's throw away from finishing Onimusha 2. NG gave me a hankering for ninja/samurai action.. I might even have to pick up a copy I-Ninja if my craving for this stuff doesn't subside. But I'll play anything right now, as long as I don't have to go back to the God-awful skies of arcadia, blech.. Dullest battle system ever.
Pvt. Wain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:17 AM   #40
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

Ok, done with Prime on hard with 100%. By the way, I never realized the first time playing the game how utterly BORING the final fight with the core of Metroid Prime is. Wait for it, wait for it, jump, repeat repeat repeat (two minutes later) attack repeat 12 or so times...
Old 03-11-2004, 11:23 AM   #41
Pvt. Wain
New Poster

The thing that sucks about Metroid Prime's core is sometimes he seems to get stuck in a pattern and it takes forever for him to reveal his vunerability. So you have to hop around for 5 minutes at a time dodging his electricity attacks.. Zzzzzzzz.

But I don't think I'll ever get past the Omega Pirate on hard mode, I'm always terrible at boss fights where I'm forced to divide my attention between several enemies.. I get thrown off everytime the two space pirates come down to lend him a hand.

To switch topics from Metroid for a second.. Has anyone in here ever finished Steel Battalion's second campaign? My pilot died on the last level and I haven't had the heart to try it again.
Pvt. Wain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:38 AM   #42
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

I beat Ninja Gaiden two days ago, and was able to get through Hard mode pretty easily. A lot of it has to do with "getting used to" the game engine, which is not something some people appreciate. But once you get in the groove, it's pretty much smooth sailing. The camera still sucks, but it's tolerable.

Oh, I also beat Everything or Nothing and got platinum for most of the levels. Excellent game.

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Gene Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 01:12 PM   #43
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Gene,

Between the two, NG & 007, which did you like better?
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
– Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 01:47 PM   #44
jaz013
New Poster

Just finished Prince of Persia last night. It took me around 3 months, and have still to finish True Crimes, Viewtiful Joe (at least in Adults), P.N. 03 (hard), Need for Speed Underground, Soul Cailbur II Master mode, NFL Street, and Resident Evil 2 and 3. Plus, I just get the Zelda's Collector Edition and maybe get Metal Gear this weekend and Resident Evil: Code Veronica by the end of the month. Haven't touch F-Zero GX in months and I haven't started Zelda WW's second game.
jaz013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:20 PM   #45
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Nicato
Today, I beat Viewtiful Joe on Ultra V-Rated mode.
Very, very impressive.

For those who don't know, there are 4 difficulty settings in VJ

1) Kids
2) Adult
3) V-Rated
4) Ultra V-Rated

"Kids" mode is the equivalent of "Normal" and "Adult" would be most games equivalent of "Hard" mode, leaving "V-Rated" to be a "Expert" mode. I don't know of any games off hand that have a difficulty mode as relentless as VJ's Ultra V-Rated mode.

Mad props to Nicato for beating that!

As for me, I think I'm on the last boss of Alter Echo but I can only take that game for about 40 minutes at a time. Hopefully I'll beat it tonight.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote