About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 12-03-2004, 02:28 PM   #376
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Kind of... Like, you have a combo counter like just about any action game, but this counter lingers quite a bit longer than all others, allowing you to run through a room or two to find the next victim. Because of this, it's actually possible to combo an entire stage worth of enemies. Extremely difficult, but possible.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 07:02 PM   #377
ASS-asn
the meaning of life below

Send a message via MSN to ASS-asn

sux so much bujingai isn't avaible for europe
im chipping my ps2 for this i think or some slidecard dunno yet
(and also for the game sword of berserk since im a huge fan of the anime )
ASS-asn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:04 PM   #378
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

Just beat Metroid Prime 2. Great fun. The weapons kinda sucked this time around, though. Especially the Annihilator beam. The story really loses focus a little ways into the game, too, but it was still a lot of fun. The abundance of cool areas and morph puzzles and battles make up for it.

Haven't tried multiplayer yet, but I am intrigued.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:12 AM   #379
Dezlen
Luck be a lady

Ace Combat 4. Amazing game. Hella fun. Great graphics, storyline, and gameplay.

I'm looking forward to Ace Combat 5 coming down in price. No way I'm paying 50 bones for a game I will beat in 3 days. AC4 was worth all 15 bucks I payed for it, though.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:32 AM   #380
Song Jiang
Nicaraguense

I recently beat Gensousuikoden 4 and Dororo. I thought Gensou 4 was fairly disappointing - maybe it was just me, but I thought the characters came too quickly and easily. The sea battles also left much to be desired. For me, Gensou 4 is easily the most forgettable of the series.

Dororo (based upon the Tezuka Osamu comic) was a bit clunky in places, but a blast to play anyways. The story, which is about a guy who must fight 48 demon-gods to regain his stolen body parts (!), works out very naturally as an action game with RPG elements. It was always a pleasure to get back a new body part and see the main character gain back some important, game-play changing functionality. Great game for importers and fans of Tezuka Osamu (creator of Atom Boy).
Old 12-06-2004, 11:12 AM   #381
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song Jiang
IDororo (based upon the Tezuka Osamu comic) was a bit clunky in places, but a blast to play anyways. The story, which is about a guy who must fight 48 demon-gods to regain his stolen body parts (!), works out very naturally as an action game with RPG elements. It was always a pleasure to get back a new body part and see the main character gain back some important, game-play changing functionality. Great game for importers and fans of Tezuka Osamu (creator of Atom Boy).
That sounds like "Blood Will Tell." Is BWT the American/English version of that title? 'Cause if so, it's out here (with all of its concommitent changes).
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:35 PM   #382
Boy

Yeah, that's definitely the same game. I've been kind of ambivalent about getting it ever since I first saw screens, but Song's (mini) impressions are somewhat reassuring. I'll probably end up picking it up now.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:56 PM   #383
fishgills7
Tatsmaksenpuken

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwe8k
Just beat Metroid Prime 2. Great fun. The weapons kinda sucked this time around, though. Especially the Annihilator beam. The story really loses focus a little ways into the game, too, but it was still a lot of fun. The abundance of cool areas and morph puzzles and battles make up for it.

Haven't tried multiplayer yet, but I am intrigued.
The Annihilator beam ate up ammo like none other, but seeker quick fire double damage bullets? Good stuff, and it certainly wasn't as useless as the other weapon upgrades (did you ever actually use sunburst?). I agree with you on the story though. The original kept feeding you context as your progressed throughout the game. Echoes just dumps you into artifact-hunts. Lame. The level design was quite excellent throughout though.

I also beat Alien Hominid recently. It's a Metal Slug rip-off pure and simple, but intuitive additions to the control scheme (like rolling and burrowing) add a good amount of depth. It also adds quite a bit to the difficulty, which isn't helped by graphics. The hand-drawn style looks great, but the enemies have too few cells devoted to attack animations. Anticipating attacks is just impossible, resulting in a cheap death every few minutes. The game also changes the formula with a few flight missions. Think Asteroids but terrible. Still, when the game works, it works really well.
fishgills7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:37 PM   #384
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgills7
The Annihilator beam ate up ammo like none other, but seeker quick fire double damage bullets? Good stuff, and it certainly wasn't as useless as the other weapon upgrades (did you ever actually use sunburst?). I agree with you on the story though. The original kept feeding you context as your progressed throughout the game. Echoes just dumps you into artifact-hunts. Lame. The level design was quite excellent throughout though.
Maybe I didn't try the Annihilator on enough enemies, but it seemed like enemies went down with a lot fewer hits from the light/dark beams. The story was compelling at first, too, but pretty much after the first contact with a Chozo-er-Luminoth, it completely disappeared.

Alien Hominid looks intriguing. The Flash game is fun for about 3 minutes at a time.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:53 PM   #385
Boy

Just beat Link's Adventure on my GC. I can kinda see why it seems so out of place in the Zelda series. It's not so much the fact that it's a side-scroller. I think it's more because it's not much besides a thinly-veiled action game.

It has less depth than even the first Zelda. In that game you had boomerangs and bows and bombs and magic spells, not to mention the dungeons had puzzles. Link's Adventure is rarely ever more than just slash slash slash your enemies, proceed to next room, slash more. When you get special items, like the raft or the flute, you use it once (usually immediately after you get it), then forget it exists. Same goes for most spells.

Despite all this I did enjoy the game quite a bit more than the original. It was fun in a ninja gaiden/castlevania sorta way. I doubt Zelda would've lasted as long as it has if they had stuck with that format though.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:08 AM   #386
Doug Troy
Surly McDouchebag

And Ace Combat 5 has felt my wrath. Great game. I wish the climactic battle was as stellar as Ace Combat 4's, but this was a damn fine game overall.

I can only drool over the idea of how good a next-gen Ace Combat will look on the PS3. Prehaps more textured terrains and realistically detailed cityscapes?
"I actually talked to an Iraqi cabdriver last year in Salt Lake City about the war. He said it was like the US came and weeded his garden, but pulled out most of the vegetables in the process. Needless to say, he had mixed feelings. So I stiffed him on the tip. USA! USA! USA!"
Doug Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:55 AM   #387
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
Just beat Link's Adventure on my GC. I can kinda see why it seems so out of place in the Zelda series. It's not so much the fact that it's a side-scroller. I think it's more because it's not much besides a thinly-veiled action game.

Despite all this I did enjoy the game quite a bit more than the original. It was fun in a ninja gaiden/castlevania sorta way. I doubt Zelda would've lasted as long as it has if they had stuck with that format though.
Come on Boy, the game is called "The Adventure of Link" not Link's Adventure.

Glad to hear you liked it though. I haven't played it in about 15 years but I distinctly recall enjoying it more than the first Zelda game.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:14 PM   #388
Jason Karney
Pixel King

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgills7
I also beat Alien Hominid recently. It's a Metal Slug rip-off pure and simple, but intuitive additions to the control scheme (like rolling and burrowing) add a good amount of depth. It also adds quite a bit to the difficulty, which isn't helped by graphics. The hand-drawn style looks great, but the enemies have too few cells devoted to attack animations. Anticipating attacks is just impossible, resulting in a cheap death every few minutes. The game also changes the formula with a few flight missions. Think Asteroids but terrible. Still, when the game works, it works really well.
I agree, it's very tough. Although there are many comparisons to Metal Slug, I think Alien Hominid isn't designed as well. It's much harder (for me at least) to find "safe standing areas" at any given moment.

--Jason
Jason Karney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:47 PM   #389
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy

It has less depth than even the first Zelda. In that game you had boomerangs and bows and bombs and magic spells, not to mention the dungeons had puzzles. Link's Adventure is rarely ever more than just slash slash slash your enemies, proceed to next room, slash more. When you get special items, like the raft or the flute, you use it once (usually immediately after you get it), then forget it exists. Same goes for most spells.

I thought the towns and leveling up in that game made it as RPG-ish as the previous. It wasn't pure action. I really liked the game, but it feels far from a normal Zelda since you don't really have much in terms of tools for use during battle.

Know what might be cool in a future Zelda? Leveling up. Maybe not RPG-style, though. GTA:San Andreas had a great level-up system where you simply use a certain gun to gain proficiency or drive around to become a better driver. Very cool and while not necessary, a nice addition. How cool would it be to see Link learn to throw the boomerang farther or aim his bow better or cast bigger spells?
Old 12-08-2004, 12:59 PM   #390
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I know why Zelda II was always a favorite of mine.

I absolutely loved the idea of running across collapsing bridges, where the slightest pause will drop you into the lava. Hell, back in the 1980's that was the absolute coolest thing--running through collapsing temples, all Indiana Jones-like. That was the bomb. Except it was the 80's so we said it was rad.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote