About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 10-05-2004, 07:33 PM   #301
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

I have Dynasty Tactics 2, I've barely played it tho, but I must say, the strategic combos are VERY satisfying when you can string them together.

Just so you know, its a strategy game through and through. I dunno if itd be a Strategy RPG or not, but I love what little i've played. you can get it cheap, so pick it up if you like tactical games
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:20 AM   #302
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Boy,

Wow! That was extremely helpful. I'm glad you don't mind being asked questions, 'cause in case you couldn't tell, I'm a big fan of asking 'em.

But really, Chaos Legion? I had no idea. I think it slipped under the radar, b/c I barely remember the title. Care to share a bit more?

FA,

Thanks for the heads up about DW: Tactics (2). It's gonna be another of those "I've got to pick this up one of these days."

BTW, you finished an rpg that quickly? The game must be a /real/ short one. (Most rpgs that I know of are at /least/ 40-50 hours +.)
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 01:36 PM   #303
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

I dunno how long it was, but I played nearly non stop for three days. I dunno why I was so enveloped in it, but I think from some reviews i've read that it is one of the shorter RPGs out there.
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:58 PM   #304
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypatia93
But really, Chaos Legion? I had no idea. I think it slipped under the radar, b/c I barely remember the title. Care to share a bit more?
Oh well, that's understandable. Critics in general thought of the game as fairly mediocre, and it didn't do too well sales wise if I'm not mistaken. I really dug it though. The Legion system I thought was really cool in that it added a certain level of strategy, especially on harder levels. On top of that, you could learn new moves as you progressed so you weren't stuck with the same old moveset for the entire game. The moves were pretty practical too, like a double jump, or a quick escape manuver which also damaged your enemies.

On top of that, the character designs and music really appealed to the "immature teen" in me. Neither were particularly inspired, but they were obviously engineered to be "cool" and I kind of enjoyed that (probably more than I should have).

So yeah, enough off-topic jabber for me .
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 03:19 AM   #305
k8to
Chief Mallard

Jush put the finishing touches on my Suikoden 3 experience. The game is well beyond finished, although I feel to consider it completed I'd have to refinish it two more times with the other characters, and I'm just not willing to do it. Sadness.

I loved the first three chapters with the three perspectives, but felt the story became less interesting as a clear enemy emerged. "Everything is collapsing!" at the end was so cliche I laughed out loud.

A fun ride.
k8to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 12:11 PM   #306
Foom
New Poster

I have completed NBA Streets Volume 2 on the X-Box, which is almost unheard of for me; the previous sports game I had defeated was Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES, back in the day. However, it looked interesting, and the commentator, DJ Cucumber Slice, is the best announcing I've heard on any sport, live or videogame. I probably played 150 games or so, and didn't turn the commentary off once.

Oh, and in the off chance one would ever play NBA Streets Volume 2, and if one were not proficient in sports games, go ahead and play the game through on easy, because nothing else is unlocked through playing on medium and hard modes. The only advantage is the accumulation of extra points used to upgrade your player, or reward points used to unlock extras. Not worth it, in my opinion.
Foom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 12:24 PM   #307
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats Foom. I've been actually thinking about getting back on that game recently, as it really is, IMO, the best sports game out there. And yes, the DJ is fabulous.

Good to know that you don't get anything more for beating it on the harder settings as that game can get somewhat hard at times.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 03:28 PM   #308
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I just beat Syberia for the PC this weekend. That was the most painless adventure game I have *ever* come across. However, it was also one of the least interesting. I didn't get stuck for more than five minutes throughout the entire game, mostly because NONE of the game's puzzles rose to a level above "fetch quest". I have no clue how this game became so recommended... it's as if the adventure game community has uniformly decided they have to support the best entries to the genre a year has to offer, even if those entries are a far, far cry from the classics of old. So dissappointing.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:41 AM   #309
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Good job, Foom!

FPSs may not be your forte' (though the running commentary is certainly hilarious), but damn! you must have some pretty mad skills in the rest of the gaming genre departments.

Frankly, I have little skill in sports games or fighter games, so I don't play them much. It's tough enough getting wiped by a testosterone-ridden 18-year old in.. oh, any game I happen to try that has even the slightest hint of "competitiveness" about it, and trying something "new" in hopes of "learning" from that someone is simply another exercise in humility. My ego is simply too fragile for repeated doses of that.

That being said, one of these evenings we should get a group together to play Def Jam: NY whatever. I thought it was great fun the first night we all played before anyone spent any additional time with it, mastering every aspect. (Yes, he's beaten it three times already, using different fighting styles. His mother doesn't like the game primarily b/c of the way it turns her sweet son into a cold machine, bent only on winning, who's personality changes to such an extent that even if he's doing well, any obstacle becomes unbearable to him. -- It also affects the way he speaks to her -- not a good thing.)

HOWEVER, I /think/ that if a fairly large group of folks got together while he was there, he'd probably be good. OTOH, we could just pick a night when he won't be there and play just for the halibut.

WOOPS! My bad, back on topic!

I beat (or is it finished?) Armed & Dangerous this weekend. What a highly underrated game. Actually, I got it used off of eBay about a week and a half ago for $9.06. The game arrived in perfect condition and included was a brand-new LucasArts ballcap. Score!

This game is one of the very few that I have finished so quickly (for me, that's quickly, b/c I don't play non-stop for hours on end, and I often take breaks into other games). What drove me to finish was the incredible humour. Those Scots poked fun at, inter alia, the English, the French, and most surprizingly, Star Wars! About a half-dozen of the in-between levels cut-scenes parodied some infamous scene within the first three (and really, only) movies. Included in this bit of humour was the inventive, and funny, weapons. My personal fave: the Shark Gun. Pull the trigger and a shark dives into the earth, only its fin visible; when it reaches its foe, it leaps forth to engulf him whole before diving beneath the surface again in search of more prey. Good stuff, there!

Besides the humour, the voice-acting is spot-on; absolutely perfect! The gameplay was tight, and in an over the shoulder perspective. I didn't find the token on each level, but I think I'll go back and find them. Reaching certain numbers unlock various cheats or levels. I did unlock one level, and I even downloaded a level from Live! So there is replay value.

All in all, this was one damn fine game.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918

Last edited by Hypatia93; 10-12-2004 at 09:46 AM.
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 12:22 PM   #310
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Congrats Hypatia on finishing that game. I bought it when it first released, played it for a day, and got sidetracked by something and forgot I had it. I'll have to give that one another try pretty soon.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:53 PM   #311
Foom
New Poster

I've beaten Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour for the Gamecube, though i've yet to unlock any of the "hidden" characters. The tournaments were entertaining, although they seemed to get easier as they progressed, and the computer golfers would always collapse on the back nine. However, I've yet to try the Star Tournaments, and I have no doubt that someone like the computer-controller Mario will end up with a -195.

BTW, as I watch the credits, I always sing a little song consisting of the Japanese names that are scrolling by; I find their names fascinating, and I constantly amuse myself by the gross mispronounciations I produce. Also, I don't get out much, and am very easily amused.

EnduroGamer, thanks, and by all means, I hope you do pick NBA Streets Vol. 2 back up. You know, I was still hearing new phrases from DJ Slice, even after hundreds of games. Heck, I can hear them even now. Mania aside, have you heard if they're making a Volume 3?

Hypatia93, thank you for the compliment on my mad genre-spanning gaming skillz, but you know the old phrase, jack of all trades, master of none? Well, not only is that the title of a short-lived Bruce Campbell vehicle, it also describes my gaming. And I am glad you enjoy the commentary in my Halo-ing, as I enjoy spraying my incompetence everywhere I can. Perhaps it should be, jack-of-all-trades-except-for-fps-and-,-oddly-enough-,-post-Sega-Genesis-racing-games (the Devil makes me turn around and commit head-on crashes in every single post-Super Monico Grand Prix 2 game, screaming "JEFF GORDON ME LOVE YOU LONG TIME DIEEEEEEEEEEE")

Also, I'd love to get together and play Def Jam: Vendetta, as it looks fascinating, and I can understand the unfortunate problem a member of your household has with the game; I've had friends that, when they were that age, had the same problem, but thankfully, the passing of years (and their reflex-time deterioration) has humbled them, and I am sure it will happen here as well. Hey, if he gets too bad, I'll bring over an Atari 2600 and we'll all school him in Activision Boxing; never have two spiders known so much brutality as in that game.

Oh, and Armed and Dangerous did look awesome, and I enjoyed the cutscenes you showed me immensely. If only it had Eugene Levy...
Foom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 01:39 AM   #312
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foom
the Devil makes me turn around and commit head-on crashes in every single post-Super Monico Grand Prix 2 game, screaming "JEFF GORDON ME LOVE YOU LONG TIME DIEEEEEEEEEEE"
The greatest story ever told.

Anyways, I beat Katamari Damacy this morning before heading off to work. I'm kind of pissed because my friend called while I was doing that nifty thing during the credits, and I tried to pause the game and it just skipped it altogether. I had to go to work like 5 minutes ago, so I couldn't just play again and do it. I'll probably try and check it out tonight. Sweet game and I the more I hear the music, the more I love it. Me and my little bro actually sing to the songs, even though we just flub most or all of the lines, and when I have friends over they're all humming along as well. Hands down the best part of the game.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 11:19 AM   #313
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foom

EnduroGamer, thanks, and by all means, I hope you do pick NBA Streets Vol. 2 back up. You know, I was still hearing new phrases from DJ Slice, even after hundreds of games. Heck, I can hear them even now. Mania aside, have you heard if they're making a Volume 3?
Yes, they are making part 3, due out this coming April, if I'm not mistaken, and the preview I read sounded absolutely incredible. They said that part 2 had about 4x as much content as part 1 and part 3 has almost 10x as much content as part 2.

Now, who knows what they mean by this in terms of actual gameplay content, but NBA Street Vol. 2 was an incredible game so my hopes are high for part 3. WITH LIVE SUPPORT BABY!
Old 10-17-2004, 12:02 PM   #314
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
The greatest story ever told.
I'm kind of pissed because my friend called while I was doing that nifty thing during the credits,
Spoilers for those who haven't beaten Katamari Damacy:
Highlight here:
You can replay the credits "level" anytime you wish. Just check around your world and you can find the level again and play it as often as you like.
End Spoilers.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 12:13 PM   #315
Mike Bracken
Next-Gen Poster

Finished Shadow Hearts: Covenant. No idea what I'm playing next.

Mike B.

My game collection: http://users.ign.com/collection/sadeian
Mike Bracken is offline   Reply With Quote