About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 09-22-2004, 08:48 AM   #271
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
Got the itch to go ahead and finally get the fifth and final ending for Drakengard for whatever reason. The boss was a kind of rhythm game believe it or not, and extremely hard. I could only beat it by pausing the game so I could see every "pulse" and have time to think what to do next. It also took me around 30 tries.

Anyways, I have to say that all of the endings absolutely kick major amounts of ass, despite the game being kind of mediocre. It really could of been something more, which is a shame.
Five endings, huh? I don't know how many my grrl's son has gotten (or even if he realizes there's more than one). I'll definitely pass that info on.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 09:18 AM   #272
Kin Korn Karn

Beat ICO last night.

Fun and challenging, but short. The gameplay got a bit platformy near the end with some subpar action and miserable jumping sequences. But the ending paid for itself, that is for sure.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 07:37 AM   #273
Reharl

Beat Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. Fantastic game, one of the best shooters this generation has to offer. I also thought the lenght was just right, although there could be some extra goodies added to make a possible second playthrough more enjoyable. Nevertheless, on account of the overall mood, the skillful use of the graphics engine and the well implemented stealh elements, I'll probably revisit this one day.
Reharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:12 AM   #274
Kin Korn Karn

Beat Zillion on the SMS. I had to use the invincibility code, though. It wouldn't have happened otherwise.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:27 AM   #275
Foom
New Poster

[quote=Hypatia93]Nice job, Foom!

You should come over and play when a group gathers. Sure, we have a tendency to focus on FPSs, but we always (okay generally) get some SCII in for good measure. (But be careful, though, mags' is a tricky one; she wins far more than she should considering she /never/ practices and only plays when we all get together. *harumph*)

Thanks Hypatia, I'd like that, and I imagine Mag would stomp the floor with me. I do like fps's, though I am wretched at them, and I particularly enjoy the jumping and hopping while death is dealt around me. Being a video pacifist in a virtual world is amazing fun, though I suppose, by dint of poor aim, I am a pacifist by necessity rather than choice.

EnduroGamer, by the way, if you haven't progressed too far in the second time around on Soul Calibur 2, one tip I found, if I remember correctly, was to not bother with clearing every room in the dungeons on the extra missions, as there are no bonus weapons to be found.

Uh, as far as the topic of this particular thread, I've beaten (part) of Mario Golf, have started the PC version of Morrowind Game of the Year edition, and am thinking of doing my yearly playthrough of Fallout. Maybe...
Foom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:03 AM   #276
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that tip Foom. I had only gone through one dungeon and I was a bit perturbed to not find anything. I appreciate the head's up!
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 11:47 PM   #277
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Beat Gungrave:OD. It's funny, playing this one really makes me appreciate the original game. Make no doubt about it, I definitely like the second game more but playing it makes me miss the first game's sense of style and simplicity (not that the second game is complicated by any means ).
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 08:45 PM   #278
cerpin_taxt
8-Bit Poster

Rep Power: 11 cerpin_taxt is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to cerpin_taxt

Put the finishing touches on Phantom Brave.

I'd say this is way, way better then La Pucelle gameplay wise, but not as good as Disgaea. You can still manipulate your stats to no end with the dungeons, fusions, and swapping titles for weapons and phantoms. I also thought the confine system added a lot of strategy to the game as well. All in all, its another fine outing by Nippon Ichi.
cerpin_taxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 07:28 AM   #279
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Finally finished Red Dead Revolver this weekend. I had gotten stuck on Mr. Kelly. I really enjoyed the game, the whole style of it, both the single player and multi-player. I didn't like the fact that the showdowns jumped in difficulty from everyone else to Mr. Kelly and the big boss. No preparing for that. For shame.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 07:44 AM   #280
stratu
Golden Bug Collector

Tonight I beat The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

I started this game a year and a half ago but one of the bosses made such Hell for me that I quit the game in hand-wringing despair. Recently I went back to it and when I got to that boss this time, I must have improved my gaming chops because I beat that mean old Bongo Bongo. And since I'd heard people describe this guy as the toughest boss in the game, the possibility of finishing the game came gloriously into sight!

Can I do a better job of explaining what a great and wonderful game this is? No. Dale and Chi did that so perfectly and eloquently already.

I'll just say that this game was such a monumentally wonderful and absorbing experience, so totally compelling, and to spend HOURS on each session was a joy (even with the frustrations of the likes of Bongo Bongo!)
stratu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 07:50 AM   #281
Avptallarita

Rep Power: 15 Avptallarita is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, more Zelda idolising, eh?

Bah, I'm playing through the Wind Waker and while it's by all standards an excellent game, it's far from "monumental." Same thing goes for Oot.

Far too overestimated, imo.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:22 AM   #282
stratu
Golden Bug Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avptallarita
Bah, I'm playing through the Wind Waker and while it's by all standards an excellent game, it's far from "monumental." Same thing goes for Oot.
I like to think I choose my words carefully (or try to anyway) so after I read your post I looked up "monumental":

"MONUMENTAL - resembling a monument; massive or imposing; of a work of art; of great physical size; elevated in idea; noble in conception and execution; of lasting significance; historically prominent."

I hold firmly to the conviction that this game can surely and rightfully be described as "monumental"!
stratu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 09:38 AM   #283
Kin Korn Karn

I'll also say that OoT is "monumental". But, ah, I'm helping this thread to get off topic, so I digress.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:46 PM   #284
JackSlack
Proud Supporter of Pants

I'm a little late, but hey.

Two days ago: Beat Halo. Stand by my first impression -- Terrific engine, yet still a bad game. The Library is the most frustrating experience I've had in any game, and the final drive is nearly up there with it, because the Warthog handles like a brick. The game does get points, however, for not finishing with a boss battle.

Yesterday: Beat Deus Ex. Good, good game. I chose the 'Helios' ending.

Yesterday: Loaded up Deus Ex save game. Beat Deus Ex. Good, good game. I chose the 'Illuminati' ending.

Yesterday: Loaded up Deus Ex save game. Beat Deus Ex. Good, good game. I chose the 'Tracer Tong' ending.

And then I loaded up my save game and chose the Helios ending again.
JackSlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:01 AM   #285
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Finished Fable. 9hr 28min
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote