About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 09-14-2004, 06:08 PM   #256
Foom
New Poster

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

I have, in the last week, beat Soul Calibur for the Dreamcast, unlocking all the art galleries and sundry contained therein, and Soul Calibur 2 for the Gamecube, beating all the Weapon Master missions, but not buying every single thing from the shop.

I must say that Soul Calibur 1 is the better game; while the weapon master mode in SC II has better unlockables and various weapons, the fighting is much more fluid and enjoyable in the first.

However, the endings in both are text with pictures, and that, in my opinion, does not compare to the original Soul Blade on the PS1, with its full-motion endings. If I wanted to read, I'd, uh, stop playing video games. Me no want books.
Foom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:32 PM   #257
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
kind of want to get the PS2 version now, just for the extras, but I dunno...
The only differences are Dante as a playable character and the addition of the extremely-easy Sweet Mode.

Yeah, VJ isn't too hard on Kids or Adult mode, but have you tried V-Rated, or Ultra V-Rated? That's where all of the challenge comes in.

Quote:
and Soul Calibur 2 for the Gamecube, beating all the Weapon Master missions, but not buying every single thing from the shop.
Foom, out of curiosity did you go back through Weapon Master a second or third time? Each chapter has 2x the number of missions in it when you play through a second time. I was curious if there was much difference the second time through. Also, did you both getting up to Edgemaster Rank and going after that Subchapter 2? If so, did it take a long time to do? I finished my first play-through of WM the other day at Level 28.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:38 PM   #258
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroGamer
The only differences are Dante as a playable character and the addition of the extremely-easy Sweet Mode.

Yeah, VJ isn't too hard on Kids or Adult mode, but have you tried V-Rated, or Ultra V-Rated? That's where all of the challenge comes in.
Yeah, I knew what the extras were, but I've heard a lot that playing as Dante is like a completely different experience.

As for V-rated, I just unlocked it today and tried playing it as Silvia. Big mistake. With her taking double damage, fight's were over almost as soon as they started. I haven't really tried it out as Joe yet though.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:34 AM   #259
Foom
New Poster

Foom, out of curiosity did you go back through Weapon Master a second or third time? Each chapter has 2x the number of missions in it when you play through a second time. I was curious if there was much difference the second time through. Also, did you both getting up to Edgemaster Rank and going after that Subchapter 2? If so, did it take a long time to do? I finished my first play-through of WM the other day at Level 28.[/quote]

I did go through Weapon Master a second time, and the missions were supposed to be more difficult, though in my opinion they weren't. While I did achieve an Edgemaster rank, I don't believe I went after the Subchapter 2; until you mentioned it (and I googled it), I didn't realize I was supposed to beat mission 4-3 again after attaining Edgmaster rank. I'll do that when I get home from work :}.
Foom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:28 AM   #260
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Nice job, Foom!

You should come over and play when a group gathers. Sure, we have a tendency to focus on FPSs, but we always (okay generally) get some SCII in for good measure. (But be careful, though, mags' is a tricky one; she wins far more than she should considering she /never/ practices and only plays when we all get together. *harumph*)

As for me? I'm just this close to finishing Shadow Hearts. Last night I got Yuri's ultimate weapon and ultimate fusion monster. I ran around a bit on the third level of the very last dungeon, but didn't get anywhere (it's a teleporting, confusing nightmare); so I decided to stop so I could watch "Father of the Pride." (Great show that, btw! Go John Goodman!)
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 03:16 PM   #261
cerpin_taxt
8-Bit Poster

Rep Power: 12 cerpin_taxt is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to cerpin_taxt

I just beat Silent Hill 4. I almost want to say it's the best in the series, but the combat really brings it down in parts. Other then that it's one creepy ride.
cerpin_taxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:12 PM   #262
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foom
I did go through Weapon Master a second time, and the missions were supposed to be more difficult, though in my opinion they weren't. While I did achieve an Edgemaster rank, I don't believe I went after the Subchapter 2; until you mentioned it (and I googled it), I didn't realize I was supposed to beat mission 4-3 again after attaining Edgmaster rank. I'll do that when I get home from work :}.
Impressive. And thanks for the head's up about the second playthrough. I started going through a second time and am on Chapter 3 right now but it looks like work is going to be taken me away from my leisurely gaming for a while.

Hypatia, I watched some videos today of Shadow Hearts: Covenant and it looks awesome. I'm glad I pre-ordered it. Without derailing this thread, do you think you'll be able to let me know if playing the first one is super important before playing the second?
Old 09-17-2004, 09:05 AM   #263
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroGamer
Hypatia, I watched some videos today of Shadow Hearts: Covenant and it looks awesome. I'm glad I pre-ordered it. Without derailing this thread, do you think you'll be able to let me know if playing the first one is super important before playing the second?
Good timing! I /just/ finished Shadow Hearts (the first) last night. Yep, that's right, I managed to save the world (yet again) and get the good ending (can't say what that was 'cause it might spoil things)!

Without knowing much about Covenant, it's hard for me to tell you how important it may or may not be to go through the first beforehand. I do know that Shadow Hearts is sort of a sequel to Koudelka (which was essentially panned, even on here by the likes of Jason and.. Mike, I think, maybe some others). I never played Koudelka,* but later in the game there are some heavy references to it. While I did feel sort of left out, I didn't feel like the story suffered by not being in the know. (Does that make sense?)

Anyway, maybe those others I mentioned (and anyone else) can chime in with answers. I remember Mike said SH was one of the most underrated and overlooked RPGs of that year (or something). Jason, of course, also highly recommended it. I was looking for something a bit different from the standard JRPG turn-based combat, and this provides it via the "Judgment Ring." (Oh, and the setting's a nice change of pace, too -- pre-Great War.)

Hope this helps.

*The references actually made me curious to know what happened in Koudelka; therefore, it's now on my list, but far, far down on it.

EDIT: I didn't actually give you an answer! *lol* Yes, if I find out anything more (I'm assuming you'd like to know before Covenant is released), I'll be sure and let you know.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918

Last edited by Hypatia93; 09-17-2004 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:18 PM   #264
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

I just beat Freedom Fighters for the 2nd time. Great game, I hope the sequel is longer, though.

Now to finish up Hitman 2.
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 11:34 AM   #265
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

I haven't posted in a while, but I've finished with 100% completion on Street Racing Syndicate and Tony Hawk's Underground 2 (thanks to work). I'm bouncing back and forth between games right now, but am almost halfway through Burnout 3 with all Golds.
Old 09-18-2004, 06:41 PM   #266
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

I just beat Bruce Lee: Return of the Legend for GBA.

surprisingly the game is not garbage. Its got some of the stealth that you see in the splinter cell GBA games, but its also got a lot of the kung fu fighting action and some neat lookin' combos to pull off. The game looks nice too. Side scrollin with the pseudo 3d characters.
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 01:12 AM   #267
technomancy
Registered LUser

Rep Power: 19 technomancy is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess I just "beat" Burnout 3: Takedown, by getting a medal (a gold no less) in the final GP. Of course, there are still some events that I have to complete still and a bunch of cars to unlock (only got the super coupe and the american circuit racer), but that shouldn't take much more time seeing as I'm listed at 94% already.

Man, either that was quick or I spent a LOT of time with this game over the weekend.

Also, UP YOURS EA. Your stupid Live integration is the buggiest piece of crap (especially your web-forms to get everything synced) I have ever seen. Practically all my online races didn't count for rank because you wouldn't accept my freaking xbl-ea link. BASTARDS.

But, yeah, fun game.

Edit: I guess these are my latest stats. Page might or might not work. I don't know. Their web-apps suck.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:05 AM   #268
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

I finished Mark of Kri this weekend. I really didn't do much of the arena stuff, just the story. However, early on I did get my fave skin for our hero (the one with all the tats), so I wasn't overly concerned about any more.

I must say this game went highly underrated. The only reason I picked it up (on eBay for $7.00 + $1.00 shipping) was b/c of you all on here. Part of my gaming addiction, frankly, is b/c of you all. You just make the games you like /really/ tempting.

Anyway, I had a superb amount of fun with this game, and it wasn't too hard (which is sort of important for me).

The graphics are wonderful and reminiscent of Don Bluth combined with Sam Peckinpah. I simply love the stealth kills! The story was engaging and not tired at all. Furthermore, the use of his bird to scout ahead and knowledge of combo attacks to defeat enemies were not simply "additions." I felt it was necessary to utilize them.

While certainly very different from ICO, it's one of those games that touched me very deeply. (I have no idea why.)
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Old 09-21-2004, 10:43 AM   #269
Kin Korn Karn

Beat Tales of Symphonia last night. Off to my other thread...
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 06:55 PM   #270
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Got the itch to go ahead and finally get the fifth and final ending for Drakengard for whatever reason. The boss was a kind of rhythm game believe it or not, and extremely hard. I could only beat it by pausing the game so I could see every "pulse" and have time to think what to do next. It also took me around 30 tries.

Anyways, I have to say that all of the endings absolutely kick major amounts of ass, despite the game being kind of mediocre. It really could of been something more, which is a shame.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote