About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 08-04-2004, 12:11 AM   #211
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Bujingai! More of this please. Ironically, the final boss battle was VERY similar to Otogi. Go figure.

Oh and me and a buddy schooled Mobile Light Force 2 earlier today. By "schooled" I mean we both survived with one hit left each, no bombs and no more continues.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 10:38 AM   #212
Kin Korn Karn

Dang Boy, you are just knocking those games out, aren't you? Awesome.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 07:22 PM   #213
Boy

It's really not all that. If you look at the games I've beaten, they're like...3-7 hours a piece. Maybe even less. Each megaman was less than an hour, Mobile Light Force 2 clocked in at a whopping 20 minutes, and many of these games I had already mastered previously (Gunvalkyrie) or had a save right near the end (Lagoon) and I just finished it up.

Plus quitting FFXI and my subsequent experience with Breakdown gave me a newfound passion for gaming.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:51 PM   #214
El Pollo Loco
8-Bit Poster

Rep Power: 12 El Pollo Loco is an unknown quantity at this point

Huzzah! Done with Ninja Gaiden! Well, atleast on Normal... It took forever, but that's mostly cause the game is never in for rental at the local video store. I really enjoyed the game, and even though I did have trouble with the camera in certain parts, I thought the positive aspects definitely outweighed its flaws. Finished with 47 of 50 scarabs, and it only took like uhh... twenty hours or so! I'm still trying to decide whether or not I should buy the game...

On a related note, does anybody know if the hurricane pack is only available for download during the duration of the Master Ninja Tourney?

Off to go finish SW:KOTOR again...
Old 08-05-2004, 09:50 AM   #215
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Two in one day! A veritable record, I say.

Buffy (the first one). I've had this game /forever/, and it was burning a whole on my shelf. I decided to finally finish it off (I have more than a few games with which I'm more than halfway done). Silly me, I thought I'd pump the rest of this out in no time (which I mostly did), but alas, the third to last level was a horrid jumping portion that drove me insane! I'm not terribly good at platformers to begin with, and having to restart a level because of a fall /really/ gets under my skin. If that wasn't bad enough, the level after that was an almost equally horrid maze thing; I got so frustrated with all of it, that I followed a walkthrough from GameFAQs for that latter portion. (Ah well, it still counts as finishing. ) The rest was cake. Whoopee!

I feel infinitely more satisfied, however, at completing (drum-roll please).. Chrono Trigger! The first of twelve endings under my belt, and I managed to defeat Lavos on my second try. I must say I almost had a misshap of /major/ proportions, however. When the game asks if you want to save a system file upon completion, I tried, but my damned PS cartridge was filled. "Yikes," I cried! Panicking, I looked around the house (without going into my grrl's son's room) for another one. I'd practically given up, deciding to wait until he got home, but then, I saw peeking out from under the consoles, a PS cartridge (his) that turned out to be not yet filled. Talk about a sigh of relief! Anyway, I managed to save and copy the files appropriately, and so I have my system file along side my other saves, and the game awaits my return. (Unfortunately, that may be a while, as I'm trying to defeat a few others I have had on the back burner..)

Go me!
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 07:55 AM   #216
Boy

Beat Zone of the Enders: Fist of Mars for GBA. They should've just made it one of those play novels. It was a decent story wrapped in a mediocre Strategy RPG. I found myself just rushing through the battle objectives to get to the storyline portions. Also unfortunate is the lack of connections to the main storyline. Leo is mentioned in one sentence during the end of the game, and judging by the context it was in relation to some storyline that was apparently scrapped, as other names are mentioned that never appear in ZOE2.

The IAS system is what really ruined it. Sure it seems cool at first to be able to dodge enemies and attack them yourself without it being decided by stats and percentages, but it was implemented poorly. After the first 5 or so battles it's far too easy for every single attack to 0connect and to dodge every single enemy attack. I can count the times I was hit in the ENTIRE game on one hand. I never missed at all.

Here's a tip. If you want to play this game, first and foremost, turn the IAS OFF. With it off, I can promise the game is far more challenging and interesting. Enemies are more than capable of completely owning you with a couple of attacks, and you are often far outnumbered. I didn't know I could turn it off until I beat the game (no manual, no common sense ), so I feel like I missed out on what could've been a pretty decent SRPG.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:09 AM   #217
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

I beat Onimusha: Warlords for the PS2 yesterday. I bought it about two weeks ago at a Gamestop for $7.50, and I finished it that quickly. (That's quick for me, anyhow.) I simply had so much fun with it -- the story, the gameplay, the graphics, all of it!

I must say Samanosuke is /the/ hunkiest character I've ever seen on a video game, and my grrlfriend made the same comments. Yumm!

The controls were, indeed, clunky, ala Resident Evil, though somehow I thought they were a bit easier, kinda like RE Lite. I beat the final boss with so little health that you couldn't really see it on the screen. Whew!

Did anyone try the Samanosuke "Extra" feature? Well, let's just say it had me and my grrlfriend laughin' our asses off! (Though I don't think I could go through an entire game like that. )

One quick question: Does anyone know whether the XBox game, Genma Onimusha, is a remake of this one, Onimusha: Warlords, or a remake of the second one, Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny?

EDIT: Damn, nevermind. Genma is a port of the first. I thought it was of the second, that's why I bought the PS2 version of this game. If I'd have known better, I would have bought the XBox version, because all reviews say the port is better (adds more enemies, another place to fight through near the end, more costumes, and more movies). Ah well, c'est la guerre. *le sigh*

EDIT 2: Oh yeah, I almost forgot! I /really/ liked the fact that you could have the original Japanese dialogue with English subtitles. Personally, I /hate/ dubbed foreign films (I won't watch them -- only subtitled versions for me), and that's what English voiceovers in games feel like to me. So this option was a very welcome surprize.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918

Last edited by Hypatia93; 08-09-2004 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Found out info I'd asked about and added something I forgot.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:12 PM   #218
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

I am heel for posting this information in two threads, but so be it. I beat Doom 3 this afternoon. All my impressions are in the Official Doom 3 Thread of Joy and Pleasure and Satanism.
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 10:38 PM   #219
technomancy
Registered LUser

Rep Power: 18 technomancy is an unknown quantity at this point

Just rebeat the Wind Waker. Didn't start a new game, though, just loaded up an old save, sailed around a bit, and then went on to hit the final dungeon. I hadn't played the game in ages and the initial load just struck me with just how beautiful the game still is.

And that final battle still kicks ass.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:14 AM   #220
Boy

Just beat Secret of Mana. It would be a good example of a game that doesn't hold up. I mean, it's still good and all, but it's not the "god's gift" I remember it being. Leveling up magic was especially boring and the boss battles were just bad. Scan for weakness, bombard with weakness, battle over. Also I noticed a lot of glitches and general funkiness that escaped me back when I was 10.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:55 AM   #221
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomancy
Just rebeat the Wind Waker. Didn't start a new game, though, just loaded up an old save, sailed around a bit, and then went on to hit the final dungeon. I hadn't played the game in ages and the initial load just struck me with just how beautiful the game still is.

And that final battle still kicks ass.
I've never finished the game the first time, even though I'm right at the final dungeon.

But what do you mean about firing up an old save? As I recall, the game automatically saved over itself (a personal pet peeve of mine).
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Old 08-17-2004, 03:24 PM   #222
sigmundshen
Simple Fisherman

Rep Power: 12 sigmundshen is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, this afternoon at 2:09 PM I finally beat the last boss in Xenosaga. It's a very good game.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:19 AM   #223
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmundshen
Well, this afternoon at 2:09 PM I finally beat the last boss in Xenosaga. It's a very good game.
Just curious: how many hours do you think you put in to it? I'm just a little ways after meeting the Little Master, and I desperately need to get back to it. (I really am enjoying it, but.. well, let's just say I'm a bit ADD when it comes to games. )
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Old 08-18-2004, 07:51 AM   #224
sigmundshen
Simple Fisherman

Rep Power: 12 sigmundshen is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypatia93
Just curious: how many hours do you think you put in to it? I'm just a little ways after meeting the Little Master, and I desperately need to get back to it. (I really am enjoying it, but.. well, let's just say I'm a bit ADD when it comes to games. )
It's easy to be ADD with RPG's and especially one as slow as this one. I spent about 65 hours but I tend to run around lost and balance levels and tinker with stats a lot. It's been months but if I remember right, the meeting with Little Master is probly at least in the first half if not the first third.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:47 PM   #225
Boy

Just beat Hybrid Heaven. It was really interesting. I think the turn-based real-time fighting game battle system could have used some more tweaking, but as a first (and only) effort, it worked surprisingly well. However, I get the feeling the developers thought it was better than it really is. As genre-bending as the game is supposed to be, the entirety of it is 75% fighting, 25% everything else. Like I said, the fighting was pretty good, but so is ice cream. That doesn't mean I'll eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert and in-between snacks.

Also this game really made me start thinking about the difference between character artwork and the actual in-game models. I mean, I've always noticed, just never though about. In this case, I couldn't stop thinking about how much of a total badass Johnny looked on the cartridge, and how much of wuss he looked like in the game. I wanna play as Cartridge Johnny!