About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 07-09-2004, 03:16 PM   #181
ferrarimanf355
Reborn Simpsons Fan

Rep Power: 14 ferrarimanf355 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ferrarimanf355 Send a message via MSN to ferrarimanf355 Send a message via Yahoo to ferrarimanf355
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

I don't know if this counts, but I'm almost done with Rez. I finally beat the second firewall, and I completed the third and fourth levels in my first try (no kidding). I also got a perfect shootdown in the first level... I guess the trick is to stock up on overdrives...
I unlocked the final level (it was easier than I initially thought), so as soon as I complete that and get the bad ending, I'm going to go back and start unlocking stuff.
I also got a copy of Space Channel 5 Special Edition lying around, gotta get started on the second disc...
ferrarimanf355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 03:33 PM   #182
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Beat Silent Hill 3. After all I had read and heard, I was expecting to be majorly disappointed. Luckily that wasn't the case. The story was definitely more obvious than usual, but I still think there's more than enough mystery left in Silent Hill. They didn't tie up every single loose end like some people had made it sound like. I'm ready for SH4 now.

One thing that I noticed though, is that while these bad guys are pretty scary looking, they're not much of a challenge. For the next SH they should really make the enemies a threat. Sure I might piss myself when I first see them, but once I realize I can run right past them with no problems or kill them all with a steel pipe, it's significantly less frightening.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 10:11 PM   #183
Foom
New Poster

True Crime: Streets of L.A. for the X-Box.

My first X-Box title; I find the controller to fit perfectly in my hand, but then, my hands are kind of large; the Gamecube's controllers feel Lilliputian.

I have beaten True Crime, but have yet to get every one of the unlockables, nor have I played as Snoop Dogg as of yet.

I have made a promise to myself, a promise to only buy a game for the X-Box after I beat the one I am currently playing. Any suggestions for an action/shooter game that is not a gta would be greatly appreciated.

And, while I'm wasting everyone's time, I'd like to say this site, and the people here on the forum, are very well done and polite. It is a pleasure to post here. Thanks.
Foom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 02:34 AM   #184
GC_Thom
Bad Person of the Future

Good to see a new user, Foom. Hope you stick around and keep posting.

In terms of action/shooter games on the Xbox, well, there's a bevy of choices:

Old School Arcade:
Metal Slug 3

'Old School' Sega Beat 'Em Up with Fantastic Graphics:
Otogi

Best FPS on a Console:
Halo

Pretty Rail Shooter that isn't as Good as the Saturn Games:
Panzer Dragoon Orta

Nice Open-Ended Gameplay:
Hitman: Contracts

Nicest-Looking Game to Date on Xbox:
Chronicles of Riddick

Lots of solid choices out there right now. You can probably find Orta or Otogi on the cheap if you can find a retail store that has them in stock.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:11 AM   #185
soundbuoy77
New Poster

I quit my stupid job and went freelance, now I work less and earn more! Woo hoo! Also means I got to finish these poor games that have been sitting neglected in my cupboard..

Zelda WW
Ico
POP
Metroid Prime (not 100%, but I'm happy I finished it)
Halo
Planescape Torment (has that been a long time coming)
Freak Out - Stretch Panic in US?
Half Life
Pikmin
Metroid Fusion
Zelda Majora
Lodoss War DC
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance

Now working on Ninja Gaiden, Enclave, Jet Set Radio and Beyond Good and Evil
soundbuoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:34 AM   #186
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foom
True Crime: Streets of L.A. for the X-Box.

My first X-Box title; I find the controller to fit perfectly in my hand, but then, my hands are kind of large; the Gamecube's controllers feel Lilliputian.

I have beaten True Crime, but have yet to get every one of the unlockables, nor have I played as Snoop Dogg as of yet.

I have made a promise to myself, a promise to only buy a game for the X-Box after I beat the one I am currently playing. Any suggestions for an action/shooter game that is not a gta would be greatly appreciated.

And, while I'm wasting everyone's time, I'd like to say this site, and the people here on the forum, are very well done and polite. It is a pleasure to post here. Thanks.
*peers at Foom*

Do I know you?

Anyway, welcome! Also, congrats on getting your XBox and beating True Crime. My suggestions are as follows:

Halo
(D'uh.)

The Max Paynes
(Good run and gun action.)

Hitman
(I've only played Silent Assassin, but I hear Contracts is also excellent.)

The Splinter Cells
(Great stealth shooters. Again, I've only played the first, but the second is supposed to be even better.)

Red Dead Revolver
(I've only played the multiplayer, but I hear the single player mission is also good.)

Timesplitters 2
(Again, I've not played it, but I hear it's great, both the single player and multi-player. It goes through different periods of time, too.)

I also hear kill.switch and Mace Griffin are pretty fun. Not top notch, but they should be cheap.

Gosh, I can probably think of others if given the time, and more still, if you want to expand your requirements.

OHHH!!!
I finally beat PoP:SoT last night. Damn, I sure love that game. Actually, I was about 70% of the way through when I started, and I didn't think I would finish. But a friend came over, and b/t he and I and my grrl (she just watched), we did it (and I stayed up past my bed time on a school night )! After I finish up some other games, I want to start PoP 1 and 2.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 12:49 PM   #187
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

I beat Mega Man 7 last night, but for some reason the ending didn't really play. It was just text credits on a black background. I knew this didn't seem right and looked up one of those "ending faqs" and saw pictures from an ending with all kinds of images displaying during the credits.

Did the people who put the disc together leave out the ending or is there a glitch with my game?
Old 07-14-2004, 12:55 PM   #188
Foom
New Poster

Thank you for your welcome and your game advice, Hypatia93, and yes indeed, you do know me.

Also, congratulations on your being left the Dreamcast; it is an excellent system, and I know you will enjoy playing it. I myself am lucky enough to own that system, and would be more than happy to lend you any of my games.

If I can, I'd like to recommend for the Dreamcast such games I have personally enjoyed as Sonic Adventure 1 (a true adventure game, with exploration and action sequences in an equal mix), Rayman 2 (simply the most beautiful visuals I've seen in a game, coupled with good, but difficult, 3D platformer gameplay), and
Chu Chu Rocket (simple puzzle game with a strangely addictive quality, and it has mice, cats, and rockets.)

Again, thank you for your kindness and recommendations.
Foom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:24 PM   #189
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foom
Thank you for your welcome and your game advice, Hypatia93, and yes indeed, you do know me.

Also, congratulations on your being left the Dreamcast; it is an excellent system, and I know you will enjoy playing it. I myself am lucky enough to own that system, and would be more than happy to lend you any of my games.

If I can, I'd like to recommend for the Dreamcast such games I have personally enjoyed as Sonic Adventure 1 (a true adventure game, with exploration and action sequences in an equal mix), Rayman 2 (simply the most beautiful visuals I've seen in a game, coupled with good, but difficult, 3D platformer gameplay), and
Chu Chu Rocket (simple puzzle game with a strangely addictive quality, and it has mice, cats, and rockets.)

Again, thank you for your kindness and recommendations.
Whee!!! I knew it!

Anyway, you're more than welcome, and like I said when you were over at the house the last time, feel free to borrow some of my games. (Well, as long as I'm not /currently/ playing them. I have a tendency to play one for a while, get bored, move on, get bored, etc., until finally I get back to the first. )

Thanks for the congrats and recommendations for the DC. We'll have to talk more about what kinds of games we like/don't as much like/despise on Saturday (or before, if'n ya wanna call).

Take good care.. AND.. 9 experience points, can you believe that!

*glances around*

But we better get back to focusing on what games we've finished lately, or else the thread-nazis will come and string us up for being off-topic.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 04:19 PM   #190
Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwe8k
Did the people who put the disc together leave out the ending or is there a glitch with my game?
I'm not sure what happened. I got the ending just fine when I beat it.

Anyways, I just beat Eternal Ring. It was the first game I ever had for the PS2 and I recently reacquired it. Not techincally very good at all, but I love it.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:37 PM   #191
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
I'm not sure what happened. I got the ending just fine when I beat it.

Anyways, I just beat Eternal Ring. It was the first game I ever had for the PS2 and I recently reacquired it. Not techincally very good at all, but I love it.
I got an ending but if you go to gamefaqs.com and find the ending faq there's a link with the pictures of the ending. The ending I got had no castle blowing up or anything and nothing but white text on a black background for the credits.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:38 PM   #192
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

Oh and I just beat Doom 1. I'm getting myself prepared...
Old 07-17-2004, 05:08 PM   #193
Boy

Hmm yeah, I just checked it out. You're right. I remember thinking it was weird that a picture of the master robots wasn't provided when they put up their names and designers. That's strange.

Anyways, I just beat Lagoon for SNES. Terrible game that I could never beat, but I finally did it today so...*puts feather in cap*
Old 07-21-2004, 10:37 PM   #194
Boy

Oh, gotta thank Moron for a post in another thread. I almost forgot to say that I beat both MGS:Twin Snakes and Castlevania:Lament of Innocence. Both of which are pretty disappointing, but if you ignore the niggling little annoyances they're both fairly enjoyable.

Oh, and I beat Contra:Hard Corps for the Genesis. Best. Contra. Ever. (I say this having not yet played Shattered Soldier) I hesitate saying I beat it though, as I only got one ending of the available 7.

And the reason I'm beating so many games in such rapid succession is because college is looming closer with each passing second. I won't have time for this kind of thing there, so I feel like I have to do it now.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:28 AM   #195
Boy

Blast Corps! Wow, color me amazed. Not only that it's such a great game, but the fact that it's made by Rare. I haven't actually enjoyed a Rare game since Snake, Rattle and Roll on the Genesis years ago.