About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 09-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #1861
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Spider-man: Shattered Dimensions (360) - was thinking of giving up after the first level, but glad I kept with it. Definitely worth it for any fan of the web-slinger, though the camera gets a little frustrating at times. Don't know diddly about the comic itself, but think the Noir levels could/should be made into a separate game all their own. Lastly, anyone looking for relatively easy achievements to pick up, most were acquired on a normal play through without even trying.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #1862
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

It's been over 15 months since I received Red Faction: Guerrilla (360) as a gift, but I have finally, finally, finally beat the game. Overall, the game was good, but as I've mentioned before, the middle of the game was quite a drag. The ending really picked up where the game began and the missions in EOS (or is it Eos?) were quite satisfying. However, the ending was kind of anti-climatic. What ever happened to epic boss battles!?
Old 09-07-2011, 03:20 AM   #1863
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
It's been over 15 months since I received Red Faction: Guerrilla (360) as a gift, but I have finally, finally, finally beat the game. Overall, the game was good, but as I've mentioned before, the middle of the game was quite a drag. The ending really picked up where the game began and the missions in EOS (or is it Eos?) were quite satisfying. However, the ending was kind of anti-climatic. What ever happened to epic boss battles!?
You beat it? I still can't do the final mission, although I am on hard mode :/
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #1864
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
You beat it? I still can't do the final mission, although I am on hard mode :/
Well I gave up on the difficulty levels around the middle of the game, so I was just playing casual mode. If I would have kept it on Normal, or even attempted Hard, can't say I would have ever finished. The final mission did take a different strategy than I used the rest of the game. I was more of a barge-head-on-into-the-fight type of player and using the tank I tried the same method. No dice. Had to take it a little slower during the trek to the top. Once I got far enough up the mountain, then it was run like hell until I arrived at the general. After that, with the right weaponry, it was no problem. Not sure how that would translate to hard mode, but good luck! How long have you been trying to complete the mission?
Old 09-08-2011, 04:30 AM   #1865
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
Well I gave up on the difficulty levels around the middle of the game, so I was just playing casual mode. If I would have kept it on Normal, or even attempted Hard, can't say I would have ever finished. The final mission did take a different strategy than I used the rest of the game. I was more of a barge-head-on-into-the-fight type of player and using the tank I tried the same method. No dice. Had to take it a little slower during the trek to the top. Once I got far enough up the mountain, then it was run like hell until I arrived at the general. After that, with the right weaponry, it was no problem. Not sure how that would translate to hard mode, but good luck! How long have you been trying to complete the mission?
Thanks I got to the final mission probably about six months ago, tried it about thirty times, and then sort of gave up. I'll still try and tackle it occasionally because it's a game I love and would love to say I've completed, but it's just insane on hard mode. Shame, as I'd love to just be able to get back to the side-missions (which I've heard all unlock again once you finish the last mission).
Old 09-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #1866
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Quote:
Thanks I got to the final mission probably about six months ago, tried it about thirty times, and then sort of gave up. I'll still try and tackle it occasionally because it's a game I love and would love to say I've completed, but it's just insane on hard mode. Shame, as I'd love to just be able to get back to the side-missions (which I've heard all unlock again once you finish the last mission).
Yeah, all the missions you did not complete become available, plus you now have enemies from later in the game throughout Mars. Plus, if you are really interested, they add an "Insane" difficulty level (I think that is what is called, maybe "Intense"?)

Hope you get a chance to beat the game. I understand the desire to want to complete the game on the difficulty you've been playing, but for me, I had more fun once I stopped getting frustrated by what I found to be somewhat cheap difficulty. That is my only major complaint - I feel like the game's difficulty does not level up gradually, but rather ramps up a steep incline once you enter Oasis. That's why I dislike the middle of the game so much.

Either way, good luck in your quest to beat the game.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:41 AM   #1867
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Finished the Space Marine singleplayer campaign yesterday. The final bossfight is a series of quick-time events, wtf? I was waiting for the epic final encounter with the root of all evil and all I have to do is: 1,1,1,space,1,1,1,space,1,1,1,f,2,2,2,2,2,2,1,1,1, space,1,1,1,space for what felt like half an hour. You can easily prepare breakfast while performing well at that "fight". The fight against the orkboss earlier and pretty much every other battle in the entire game where much better and much more enjoyable. This final QTE-party left a bit of a sour aftertaste in what would have otherwise been a thoroughly enjoyable experience.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #1868
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I just saw the credits of Gran Turismo 5, which I translate as having "beaten" the game
However, there are still plenty of races for me to finish and plenty of premium cars to buy. The premium cars triggered some long lost memories of my collection of supercars scale 1:24 and 1:18 when I was a kid. And similary to me being 8 years old I have this longing to collect every Ferrari I can place my greedy, virtual fingers on. Also, there is still plenty of stuff I haven't tried. Next on my to do list are NASCAR and Super GT races. I also got a steering wheel for my ps3/pc. If you excuse me, I have races to finish and cars to buy.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #1869
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Far Cry 2! At last....

The ending was a little weird, and the second half of the game dragged a little, but very happy with it overall. The moral aspect was excellently done, and the game had a lot to say for itself.

There were a lot of beautiful touches (the opening taxi ride, the modes of transport, the game world, the voice acting), and while the game didn't quite match its ambition, it got close.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #1870
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Donkety Kong Country Returns (Wii)
Solid platformer with some tough-as-nails, need precise timing levels. Died numerous, numerous times, but there were plenty of opportunities without to earn extra lives without having to replay any of the levels. Another plus, the wonderful art direction in some levels (Factory Level 1 springs to mind). Any fan of side-scrollers should definitely check this out if they haven't already.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #1871
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Far Cry 2! At last....

The ending was a little weird, and the second half of the game dragged a little, but very happy with it overall. The moral aspect was excellently done, and the game had a lot to say for itself.

There were a lot of beautiful touches (the opening taxi ride, the modes of transport, the game world, the voice acting), and while the game didn't quite match its ambition, it got close.
There was a moral aspect to the game? All I can remember is having to accept missions from one bastard or another bastard, whilst getting shot at by both bastards' men.

Glad you enjoyed it though, really wish I did. Loved the "your target is out there somewhere. Fuck off and find him, already"-style message you get at the start of the game.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #1872
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
There was a moral aspect to the game? All I can remember is having to accept missions from one bastard or another bastard, whilst getting shot at by both bastards' men.
Well, there was a lot of getting shot at. But I thought the whole game was about losing whatever moral compass you had at the beginning (admittedly not much as you were a hired killer) and gradually turning into the most despicable person ever.

There was a great scene halfway through the game where you've been shot. You wake up in the back of a truck with a load of corpses, one face looking directly into yours, and then you fall off and are rescued by the Jackal and given a nice speech about the dark heart of Africa. Really well done.

You don't feel like giving it another try? Coincidentally I have an Xbox copy which I could post to you....

Old 10-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #1873
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Plus, there are some great guns. Several different types of grenade launcher alone.

Games I've finished!

ICO. I hadn't played it before, and was disappointed that it was a puzzle platformer. However as I got into the game I grew to really like it - it's a real gem.

Had to look up some of the puzzle solutions online; I found it quite hard to adjust to thinking that way.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #1874
JLB1987
Sex machine

Ha, thanks for the kind offer, but you don't have to do that (I have a feeling there will be an abundance of copies online I could buy for only a couple of quid anyway ) I may give it another go after completing the original Far Cry, which I still really enjoy. Well, I was still really enjoying it, until a genuinely awesome plan I had to clear out a camp was foiled when I discovered that the AI could see me through the walls of one of the tents, and proceeded to shoot at me through the walls. Soured the nostalgia somewhat.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #1875
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
[...] when I discovered that the AI could see me through the walls of one of the tents, and proceeded to shoot at me through the walls.
Seems to me that this is a consistent feature of all games 'cry'. I stopped playing Crysis 2 after enemies were repeatedly seeing and shooting me through concrete walls.