About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 07:48 AM   #1846
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare
I really enjoyed this add-on content. Like the story line and how it was integrated into the main game and treated as part of the overall canon. Really think some of the content (sasquatch, chupacabra) could have been included in the original game without it being hokey. Also a plus, I didn't have to play as Jack! Only real complaint is that I have yet to come across one of the four horses of the apocalypse. This encounter seems way too random for my tastes.

As much as I would like to go for 100% in Undead or the main source, I think it may be time to begin another game. Forty plus hours has been plenty of time spent!
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #1847
gamevet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gog View Post
Sonic Adventure

It had been years since I played it, but this game defined my childhood; I thought it was very good when I was younger. Playing it now, it's an absurdly awful mess, riddled with bugs, collision issues, sub-par minigames, useless collectibles and bad level design. The story and voice acting are particularly disastrous; I laugh my way through the cutscenes, while crying in shame deep inside at the same time. At least the music is good.
I was in a discussion over this game on another forums.

I've considered Sonic Adventure to be one of the most over-rated games on the Dreamcast, since it was first released. I bought the game thinking it would be all the cool stuff I played on a demo and what was talked about in reviews. Obviously, people failed to mention the crap you had to do to get to the action, and once you got there, you soon realized there was very little platforming involved. This was the point where I'd thought that Sonic had jumped the shark.

Last edited by gamevet; 07-26-2011 at 10:30 PM.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #1848
Gog
New Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
I was in a discussion over this game on another forums.

I've considered Sonic Adventure to be one of the most over-rated games on the Dreamcast, since it was first released. I bought the game thinking it would be all the cool stuff I played on a demo and what was talked about in reviews. Obviously, people failed to mention the crap you had to do to get to the action, and once you got there, you soon realized there was very little platforming involved. This was the point where I'd thought that Sonic had jumped the shark.
I think Sonic really jumped the shark with Sonic 2006. Sonic Adventure was very rough around the edges, but at least it laid the ground for Sonic Adventure 2, which was great for the most part.

Fortunately, as of late, it seems Sonic games are getting pretty good. Colours was enjoyable and Generations looks excellent so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
once you got to the action, there was very little platforming involved
Interestingly, Sonic Adventure has a lot of platforming compared to recent Sonic games, but the controls and camera are far too imprecise to handle it, especially in the later levels.
Gog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:06 PM   #1849
gamevet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gog View Post
I think Sonic really jumped the shark with Sonic 2006. Sonic Adventure was very rough around the edges, but at least it laid the ground for Sonic Adventure 2, which was great for the most part.
Some would say Sonic 3D was the starting point, but it's pretty obvious that Sonic Adventure did things you would not normally do in a Sonic Platformer. When the game requires you to wander around 3D areas to find the Chaos Emeralds, before you can actually play a level, you soon realize that this isn't the game you were expecting, especially when all the screen shots and reviews paint a different picture of what the game is.

Quote:
Fortunately, as of late, it seems Sonic games are getting pretty good. Colours was enjoyable and Generations looks excellent so far.
I've heard quite a bit of positive feedback on the game, but unfortuneatly, the new Sonic game available through PSN and LIVE didn't recieve alot of praise.

Quote:
Interestingly, Sonic Adventure has a lot of platforming compared to recent Sonic games, but the controls and camera are far too imprecise to handle it, especially in the later levels.
There are platforming sections to the levels, but for the most part you're pushing the stick forward and steering Sonic to collect rings while going along for the ride. It's not a pure platformer, like the Genesis games.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #1850
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Finished Borderlands over the weekend, which I was playing in co-op with my brother. I was glad to get it finished to be honest - while there were some really good levels in there, it was very samey all the way through. Finished up with the Zombie Island DLC, and it was ok.

Next up for co-op fun is Lost Planet 2. Looking forward to it.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #1851
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

Pedro: Which console are playing Lost Planet 2 on? Will you be playing online co-op?

I've been wanting to play it for a while, now, but I've heard that co-op is the only way to go when playing it, and have yet to find anyone willing to play.
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #1852
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Fidgety - PS3. However we only get to play when my brother has a window (he has three kids between 3 and 8) which times are few and far between, and usually only arranged minutes before! So not sure if that will suit...
Old 08-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #1853
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

Ah, well, it was worth a shot!
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #1854
Pedro
64-bit Poster

If you're on PSN, add me - Pete_the_Chop - and maybe we can work something out! Be warned though, I'm pretty useless at these things.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:55 AM   #1855
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Demons Souls
pros:
- levels with diverse atmospheres and dangers design
- especially the batman feeling in 3-1 (until the point when one of the wardens insta-killed me for the first time)
- saving anywhere, anytime

cons:
- levels are all to empty, lifeless, hopeless-> the good ending makes hardly sense with that preconditions
- the shallow actually hardly existing storytelling
- the framerate is a joke at the spawnpoint when instantly running forth, on many magic actions, when fighting in 4-3 and completely shitty on the second part of 5-2.
- the detached levels because of the Nexus mechanic
Where the fuck is Boletaria?
- the intro shows a hero fighting surrounded by enemies. that's hardly possible in the game. Being surrounded is almost certainly a death penalty.
- long loading times when lizard farming/ trading with Sparkly the Crow, moving Tendency to pure black...
- AI getting stuck in the level (gargoyles, maneater: both were alive but i have not seen them again...)
- static enemy placement ->
- the whole game is based on learning everything by heart and via rigidly time consuming, punishing trial&error
- completely unexplained not even hinted in any way tendencies mechanics
- imbalanced classes/origins (eg. going for archer makes it sometimes very very easy) and that make all classes, the role playing aspect kind of worthless. play in opportunistic style and choose whatever class is easier. I hate when rpgs don't work as good as eg. TF with its strict, important classes
- imbalanced bosses (instead of increasing the difficulty in the course of the game it decreases)
- Dragon God has a great design but a wild dragon allowed some dudes to install two big crossbows which can hit him hard? WTF!
- (tendency) side characters could have been interesting, but were not (Ostrava was the only really good one)
- inconvenient menue system
a) no real pause (for opening the door, answer phone, whatever)
b) equipping only two items per arm is stupid for a trial&error game. Finding the best weapon (and shield) for each enemy is crucial to avoid endless fights or getting instakilled.
c) equipping the different rings depending on occasion is odd
radial popup selection menus anyone?
- no selectable difficulties
the mechanic was there, in the tendencies, but just going for an ultra fair game (which game is really unfair?) and forget about all the people who either really can't play on its level with success or just don't want to keep full attention all the time and then don't want to repeat the whole level is ignorant. removing one of the most important things games can offer, beside interactivity, accessibility on each players level, is a fallback to 80s design
- the game gets easier in NG+ and so on. Not because my skill gets really better, but the level upgrades sooner or later make me more powerful than the difficulty increase can outbalance
- heavy grinding necessary especially for Pure Bladestone
- lock on system
not really compatible with some enemy movements and or level designs
sometimes it does not react at all, although the enemy is actually in sight or locks on an enemy that is not at all the nearest one
- precise aiming with a bow is painful... even the controls of Killzone2 are hundred times better
- repetitive dialogs
- no real dialog system
- i did not like the whole community spoiler system.
if a game can't be played without tips it's imo partly broken
- invading mechanic can't be deactivated
red eyestones are for pvp? so why am i forced to participate in this? Why do i have to go offline to play it as i want to?
- unplayable with sunlight outside (even with brightest settings)
- the start condition of my hero where he hardly can swing a sword without falling into delirium cause he is so exhausted- imho just awkward when i'm supposed to be the dude who frees Boletaria from the fog.

a ton of minuses on my list, but since i love atmospheric games and it was fun enough to go for Platin, which takes 3 1/2 playthroughs, it must have done things right, so i'd rate it slightly above average.

For those who also think his armor looks cool, it'll protect me, i'll take the Temple Knight. Get rid of the armor asap. Not being able to roll will kill you more often than the slight increase in armor protection.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #1856
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Congrats on the Platinum! I can't believe you did that for a 'decidedly average' game.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:45 AM   #1857
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Playing a game over 100 hours that's in parts fantastic was not as funless as my above critics on many design decisions might suggest.

It had the ingredients to be a goty candidate, but i really can't understand all those euphoric reviews praising it as though it's (at least almost) perfect as it is.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #1858
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Yes, I noticed your comments

I'm just amazed that you would put that amount of time into such a flawed game. Do you complete everything you play?

I personally think it's a near-perfect game, personally, with the only real issue that damned hunt for pure Bladestone
Old 09-01-2011, 04:07 AM   #1859
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Do you complete everything you play?
Not if "parts are excellent" is not as good as it needs to be to ignore the bad parts.
I dumped many hours in Morrowind and Boiling Point which i kind of liked while playing but the fun vanished completely at some point and then the sterile design kicked in respectively the bugs made many quests impossible. I can overlook things quite generously, but i have a limit.

Quote:
damned hunt for pure Bladestone
I really can't remember how often i killed the "hidden" Dual Katana guy in 4-2 with ~20 luck just to get for starters the necessary Chunks when i stopped trying Pure and went for NG+. Fortunately i got it then on the very first revisit after killing Satsuki and actually going for the Primeevil Demon.
I usually like repetitive grinding, when it's a job of collecting 50 whatever, but not when it appears like random luck, where getting a (very) rare drop is the goal and i'm accumulating 100 items i don't need while doing so.

Ah, another thing that was stupidly done in DS:
Picking up items had no preview and or cancel option. I have to blindly pick everything up and then drop it inconveniently via the menu.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #1860
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
I wrote some things already in the respective thread. Now that I finished it after 29 hours of playtime (according to steam) I still think it's a great game. The only real criticism I can offer is that the AI bugged out a couple of times and that the graphics are not top of the line. However, the art direction is very good and saves the game in terms of visuals. I just looked at my steam achievements and noticed that I completely missed at least one side-mission. Also I made some choices that might not have been the brightest ideas. Still I never felt the game "punishes" me for my playstyle and choices, as I switched back and forth between stealth, melee and gunplay. I also like the 'social' boss battles and how a failure in them doesn't necessarily mean game over and there is always an air duct to find or a computer to hack to salvage the situation.

I put DXHR up on the shelf next to Vampire: Bloodlines. This is some of the highest praise I can give, since Bloodlines is one of my favourite games of all time.

tiny spoilers ahoi

In some respects DXHR reminded me on Alpha Protcol. The major difference is of course: AP was a game with great ideas but terrible execution. DXHR is a game with great ideas and very good execution. AP also had one of the most obnoxious boss battles in recent history. Compared to that DXHRs bosses are not much of a deal, the main criticism is the elimination of all other ways to beat an obstacle except violence. That is kind of a big deal in a game around choice. However, bosses 2 and 3 were quite easy to beat, it was just the first one who felt a bit like a brick wall but only because I failed to realize the amount of explosives scattered across the room, which I could have used to my advantage. With the typhoon-augmentation equipped the first two bosses are not much of a problem, the 3rd might still be. But I figured out how to beat the 3rd boss quite easily after dying only twice.

Also, the laser rifle is ridiculous, allowing pinpoint precision without even leaving cover.

I think I'll play again on Deus Ex-difficulty.