About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #1831
JLB1987
Sex machine

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergoat View Post
Red Faction: Guerilla

Got it earlier last week because I was thinking I'd want to get Armageddon, that didn't happen just because the reviews are telling me it's not worth (for me) buying for $60. Anyway, found Guerilla to be good mindless fun, never played another game that lets you destroy your environment so completely. My only complaint about the destruction is I wish it was a tad more realistic. I had one big building supported completely on one tiny ass pole off to one side, I took a step back and looked at it from every angle and it was JUST the one support beam in a corner of a building holding up the entire superstructure, the story could have done with some more fleshing out but...hey, it's not like I expected an amazing story or anything of the sort. I went and watched Red Faction Origins right after for fun too :P
I had a problem with that, too. You have to remember that gravity is a lot weaker in the game than in real life, so that goes some way to explaining things. But yes, having it slightly more realistic would have been good. At least it tended to be consistent, though.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #1832
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Minerva's Den DLC for Bioshock 2.

A pretty nice add-on to Bioshock 2 for people who want more of the same. There are a couple of new weapons and plasmids, and the enemies are the same with a couple of new elemental variations - Fiery Brute Splicers and Frozen Houdini Splicers. Add in a puppet protagonist and a megalomaniac villain and it all sounds very familiar.

Still, it is nicely done, and it was a pleasure to tramp around the new areas. I guess that's the end of Rapture now.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #1833
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

'Splosion Man (Single Player)
Overall I really enjoyed this game. Gameplay was solid, humor was slightly twisted, and the game was challenging without being overly frustrating. Two minor complaints; didn't think it was very obvious how to defeat the final boss and the camera was atrocious in a few levels (especially towards the end).
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:28 AM   #1834
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

Bioshock
This is the first game I played on my new computer. It's the first current generation game I've played, really. Games look amazing now.

I was still pretty disappointed with Bioshock though. It's a great action game, and I enjoyed it enough to want to play its sequel, but I was hoping for something different. I was led to believe it was the spiritual successor to System Shock 2, but it's not even the same type of game.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #1835
JLB1987
Sex machine

Basically completed Fallout 3 and the expansions (I say basically, as I do have a couple more side missions to do, but that's it; story missions all done). Wow. What a game. It's not often I come across something which makes me feel a whole spectrum of different feelings, from excitement, to fear, to the many "laugh out loud" moments, to sadness.

This is even more amazing when the game as unquestionable flaws. The graphics are pretty ugly, the missions that four of the five DLC packs offer are pretty terrible, not to mention combat being unbearable outside of the VATS system (if you tried to play the combat sections of this game as a FPS, the whole game would fail spectacularly). Much of the landscape is bland, the ending (or, rather, non-ending if you're taking the Broken Steel DLC into account) is underwhelming... I could go on.

On the other hand, everything outside of the combat, I loved. The various quirky characters you have the pleasure of meeting, the exploration, the main story up until about 3/4 of the way in, the way that many of the side missions were a self-contained story in itself. For example, Fallout 3 has provided me with one of the most intense experiences of my gaming life; There is a bit where you can be asked to go to a hospital, which is over-run with super mutants, and rescue a team of people trapped on the roof. Starts out as a pretty bog-standard quest, but the moment I got into that hospital and carelessly triggered the first trap I came across, forcing me to be more careful, it really did feel like a fight for survival. Easily my most tense moment in gaming. Looking out for super mutants whilst making sure I didn't trigger any traps by inching along two feet at a time and looking down at the floor carefully was genuinely terrifying!

A special mention has to go to last night's session, completing the final main mission in the game (the Point Lookout mission; I deliberately saved Point Lookout until last). You are given the choice of helping a centuries old ghoul, who is a complete asshole, or his nemesis, a centuries old disembodied brain... who is a complete asshole. Up until this point, all the moral choices in the game had been very black & white; blow up a town or save it, help the slaves or the slavers... this new decision was very refreshing. Anyway, you end up at the brain's secret hideout with the ghoul, and have to choose who to side with. I started shooting at the chamber the brain was contained in without any hesitation, and killed the brain. However, I was (genuinely) pretty pissed off at the collateral damage this years-old argument between two douchebags had caused, so after being thanked by the ghoul, I also blew his brains out. After doing this; silence. No music, no one left alive there to bother me, I just contently went through all the containers, taking anything I wanted, and left. Just a brilliant, brilliant moment in gaming. In fact, I'm almost tempted to leave Fallout 3 at that.

Regarding the recent thread, "What is your perfect 10?", Fallout 3 is about as close to perfection for me as I could hope for, and I'm kind of sad I'm not going to play a game this good for a while. That said, I will be giving Oblivion another try now I've finished F3, so fingers crossed
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:42 AM   #1836
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

Mass Effect (PC)
This game gives you a whole galaxy to explore, but then it calls its main quest "A Race Against Time". What the hell? There is literally no point in the Mass Effect storyline where it makes any sense to actually explore the galaxy. You're far too busy trying to save it.

So I kindof feel like I'm missing out on half the game. I would love to go back and complete some of the dozens of sidequests that I skipped over, but I don't see how I could justify it. It would really mess up the "role playing" aspect of the game, which is important to me.

If the sequel weren't already out I would go back and play some of those missions, no question. Instead I think I'll just jump straight into Mass Effect 2. Hopefully it will do a better job at providing reasons and room to actually explore all the content being offered. I've spent 30 hours in the Mass Effect universe, and I'm thinking I could easily spend 100 more if only the games would let me.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #1837
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Played through Super Mario Land for the first time in almost 22 years. I forgot how short of a game this is. Only 4 areas!

SML also has to be the strangest game in the Mario platforming series. Not that Mario games ever make sense, but this really didn't make any sense.

Still fun. Great tunes. If you have a 3DS, download SML.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #1838
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
Mass Effect (PC)
This game gives you a whole galaxy to explore, but then it calls its main quest "A Race Against Time". What the hell? There is literally no point in the Mass Effect storyline where it makes any sense to actually explore the galaxy. You're far too busy trying to save it.

So I kindof feel like I'm missing out on half the game. I would love to go back and complete some of the dozens of sidequests that I skipped over, but I don't see how I could justify it. It would really mess up the "role playing" aspect of the game, which is important to me.

If the sequel weren't already out I would go back and play some of those missions, no question. Instead I think I'll just jump straight into Mass Effect 2. Hopefully it will do a better job at providing reasons and room to actually explore all the content being offered. I've spent 30 hours in the Mass Effect universe, and I'm thinking I could easily spend 100 more if only the games would let me.
freedom of choice in Mass Effect 2? Freedom to tackle missions in whatever order you choose because your choices don't really matter.

I would've preferred less galaxy map and more minigames to kill time, personally.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:02 AM   #1839
crackajack
32-bit Poster

The Cat and the Coup
FREE on Steam
A (very) short interactive documentary. It's not much of a game but i liked it a lot. Great music, great art style, important information of a part in history i wasn't aware of.
I definitely could enjoy such games if they took some hours (and have some more details).

Burnout Paradise
The crash simulation is excellent. But the brilliant car destruction physics are a problem when the rather static world is compared to it. There is almost nothing that reacts to the car. Flatout is a much more homogeneous experience. The driving physics are ok. Mario Kart style with a drift button, but not completely nuts like Ridge Racer. The city is rather boring because of the endless repetition in drive from point A, B ... W to Point X, Y, Z. I was racing to the start points and then racing to the always same finish lines. So driving to the actual race seemed sooner or later like a waste of time and would have been better hidden in a menu/campaign. The routes were often different but at the end it felt like a giant track and not like 20 something really various single tracks like in any other racing game. I even liked driving around in Empire City (Mafia 2) more because the City had character and there the repetition of seeing some curves more than once was no problem.
Online mode is imo almost broken. The menu is ok, although not as intuitive as "easy-drive" menu suggests, but if the host has no clue how to host it, all players are screwed. If some players decide to hop in and out the host's guidance is destroyed because the game he starts must be finished by all players. So basically you always have to pay attention which players play properly, send them friend invites and then set up a closed server. If an online game only works this way something is terribly wrong. Dedicated servers anyone?

Super Mario Galaxy 2
The first one one was better.
The story in SMG 2 only was acceptable when the main figure of SMG 1 made a visit, at the end. The story was the icing on the cake and it lacked totally here. The sort of linear world map was crap compared to what they had done in the past games. Comet alarms (and some other totally useless press ok) messages got very annoying. Especially when the green stars should be collected. Which means 120 times a message i don't care for at the second time it pops up and already started to be stupid when it popped up with the normal comet alarms before. Controls had (again) some issues with the coordinate system when running on the edge of some of the planets when one direction made Mario run in a circle or whatever. I thought those weirdnesses should have been removed at least in the sequel. Second annoying thing is the soapy start when Mario starts to run. That's ridiculous when it's important to have precise controls and he can only be properly controlled at full speed or when walking slowly. From standing still to get in motion is always a pain. (compared to Super Meat Boy for example)
I don't like Yoshi. Always. He is worse than Baby Mario in SMWorld.
Still, an awesome game. The levels are wonderfully designed, although i missed some more memorable outstanding levels like in SMG1 and the graphics look great.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #1840
joetbd
32-bit Poster

I beat Bayonetta yesterday.

Its a solid game, I think its a keeper, but I really wish developers would stop making diversion levels too hard.

[rant]

Diversion levels, are when a game completely changes itself for one section (and basically becomes a different game entirely). Like a motorcycle level in Tomb Raider. Or a tank level in Gears of War. Or that 2D flying game in Jade Empire. These sections are rarely made as well as the main portion of the game. They are just thrown in, to prevent boredom from doing the same thing over and over.

These sections should never be so difficult, that people fail them over and over and over. Having to repeat to a "wouldnt it be funny if we did this" level hurts a game, more than it breaks up monotony.

Bayonetta has a "Rocket level" youtube LINK
where aiming up and down are reverse on the Y axis (and it can not be inverted on my 360 version - there are camera inversion settings in the game, but they have no effect on this level. There is a turret level later on, that can not be inverted either).

Its not that this level is that hard to survive (even with reversed controls). It is that there is only one check point, for the entire level. And just before that lone checkpoint, there is a minor boss (the second hardest enemy in the entire section).

Luckily I found that I could avoid damage, on everything but the lieutenants on this level (it completely killed my score, but at least I was able to get through it). Other wise, I might have quit the game, right there. As it was, I still had to repeat the level 5 or 6 times.

So developers, stop making diversionary levels that we have to fail over and over.

[/rant]
joetbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #1841
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
Played through Super Mario Land for the first time in almost 22 years. I forgot how short of a game this is. Only 4 areas!

SML also has to be the strangest game in the Mario platforming series. Not that Mario games ever make sense, but this really didn't make any sense.

Still fun. Great tunes. If you have a 3DS, download SML.
Never a huge fan of Super Mario Land, but I recall really enjoying the sh'ump-style levels. I don't remember which level, but I know one was as submarine shooter, then the last level was in the plane. Also, the enemies in this game are still some of my favorite and I wish they would show up more often.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #1842
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Frozen Synapse

If you have any interest in tactics games get Frozen Synapse.

Frozen Synapse is a turn based tactics game, with each turn taking 5 seconds and all orders being carried out simultaneously. It is possible to simulate what each unit is doing the next 5 seconds. After all orders are given the turn needs to get "primed". There is no random element, it's only about who get's the ideal firing position with the right weapon at the right time.

It's really quick to set up a multiplayer game and to reduce downtime you can play multiple games simultaneously.

Just beat the singleplayer campaign after roughly 20 hours in total. The game starts easy enough but some of the later missions made me use inappropriate language. There are some really neat twists in some of the later missions.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #1843
Gog
New Poster

Sonic Adventure

It had been years since I played it, but this game defined my childhood; I thought it was very good when I was younger. Playing it now, it's an absurdly awful mess, riddled with bugs, collision issues, sub-par minigames, useless collectibles and bad level design. The story and voice acting are particularly disastrous; I laugh my way through the cutscenes, while crying in shame deep inside at the same time. At least the music is good.

Ms. Splosion Man

Damn this game is hard. And sexist (not really).

Prince of Persia - The Forgotten Sands

Good but forgettable (pun non-intended). Repetition, uninspired story and drab art direction is the cause of its demise.

Enslaved - Odyssey to the West

I didn't like it all. Gameplay feels sticky and weak, the story goes nowhere and way too much effort has been put forth in making the player empathize with Trip. I don't like to feel manipulated and this game was keen on ordering me around like a... slave. Oh, I see now. On a final note, the music in this game is very bland for the most part; when will they learn that interesting, creative, daring and evocative music is paramount for a memorable game?!

Catherine is next and I can't wait! I really liked the demo.
Gog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #1844
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gog View Post
Sonic Adventure

It had been years since I played it, but this game defined my childhood; I thought it was very good when I was younger. Playing it now, it's an absurdly awful mess, riddled with bugs, collision issues, sub-par minigames, useless collectibles and bad level design. The story and voice acting are particularly disastrous; I laugh my way through the cutscenes, while crying in shame deep inside at the same time. At least the music is good.
This is quite refreshing to read. I'm not sure if I'm ready to admit that my nostalgia gets in the way of my opinion of those games that I played when I was a kid. Where are my rose-tinted glasses? I have a hankerin' for some Silent Service on the NES!
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #1845
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Dead Nation
I finished it twice alone and once online.
For what it wants to be actually quite good. Repetitive, forgettable zombie story but great balancing were every weapon has advantages and disadvantages and every zombietype needs other tactics.
Graphics are quite good, with flashlight ligthing and shadows but it has particularly online sometimes massive problems in crowded scenes. Two light sources and the syncing of dozens of enemies seem to be too much.
Online seems also not optimal. Getting a coop partner seems to be a problem: When both are ready and the map has loaded one of us got kicked right on the start point more than once. Twice in between the mission. Private Coop is better, still we got kicked twice in the campaign.
Some more enemy types, some bosses and some CGI between missions and it would be even better action fun.

Last edited by crackajack; 07-22-2011 at 06:33 AM.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote