About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 05-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #1801
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Mafia 2 (PC)
Although i can agree with the review Sparky Clarkson wrote, i'd rate it higher.
I like racing games and i like cruising in open world games. Here i invested ample time in the chase for the most seldom of the cars, to equip my garage. Sometimes just driving around listening to the radio. The simulation-setting for driving was good but above about 60mph the cars began to swim/ rotate on their vertical axis with no plausible physics but i still like it more than GTAs weirdness while driving. Beside exploring the city in those imitations of real oldtimers it's actually a linear shooter with no great mechanics (switching sides of the shoulder view is missing) Because of the nice scenery and varying quest objectives it was fun nevertheless. I liked also the boxing with its simple controls.
Savepoints were most of the time set were they should be, before and after the action, not before a long driving sequence...
As it wants to tell a story it somewhat disappoints especially if you expect too much of it and can't enjoy the world as much as i did. Afair story was better in Mafia 1, so were the characters, but the world was well created and i liked how they tried to connect Empire Bay City to Lost Heaven, the gameplay was not bad, but again; story would have needed some more work.

Brütal Legend (XBox)
Awesome characters. Including EVERY playable unit in the RTS part.
Creating a game around metal is ambitious and the result, especially the RTS-part, might not satisfy at first sight, especially after the demo promises a linear game but i think the more time you give this considered weaker part you might like it more and more. At least i did. Very action oriented, not really strategy (as many RTS are today), were you not only built tons of units and throw them into battle but also have to jump right into the battle with the roadie character. Imo somewhat similar to a mix of Battle Realms and Dawn of War2. How to control that part with the pad is cleverly done.
Excellent soundtrack and i don't like metal too much.
Excellent world with great exhaust pipe, dragon, swamp locations. The goal, every screenshot should look like a metal cover, was achieved.

Rush (PC)
Puzzle game with "cute" cubes. I just love how they "stride" in the levels.
Controls are imo fiddly and maybe gesture based drawing of the arrows might have been better. Some transparency also might have helped getting a better understanding of were my cubes can walk or not, how the level might work. And a dynamic preview video of the cubes movement instead of starting the march always from start. Saving unfinished levels would also have been nice.
Not optimal executed but fun idea and fairly priced for the amount of levels.
It is possible they might add some new levels. Like recently the actual challenges from GlaDOS.

Shatter (PC)
Breakout clone with a nice twist by giving the player the control over the ball the entire time with magnetic push&pull forces. The reason why i never liked such games erased. Yeah!
The ball should have a different graphic since it's m.i.a. in the shards quite often, but enjoyable game with some tough, for me too hard, challenges in high score achievements.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #1802
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Dragon Age 2 (PC)
I like it. I like it much more than Origins, which I found tedious after a while, especially the combat. In DA2 I played a female warrior with 2-handed weapons and combat was a blast. Once I had whirlwind and cleave my warrior felt unstoppable. With a grin I noticed every new wave of enemies that came like lambs to the slaughter. I also like the streamlining in terms of inventory system. I never liked the crazy micromanagement that comes with some conventional RPG, where I have to rub every new pair of trousers against the trousers everyone in my party is wearing to see if they are marginally better. It also makes sense to me that my companions have lives of their own and are perfectly capable of finding stuff to wear. The skill trees are also more interesting than in Origins. I also like the introduction of the dialogue wheel from Mass Effect, IMO the best thing that happened to RPG in a long time. I also liked the story quite a bit. It was no save the world shebang like Origins but was epic enough with plenty of bloodmages, demons and a nice high dragon to kill. My only concern is the stupid cliffhanger ending. Origins had a neat ending that provided closure. This is a bit missing in DA2.

Well, the negatives:
- recycled assets. I get that the cave system I visited 3 years ago might look the same under new management (since the local evil mages guild moved in or something), but that's no excuse for every dungeon in the free marches being one of 3 standard types. Dungeons were also a bit too linear. Since we're at it:
- Kirkwall is nice and all, but I would have liked to explore the surroundings a bit more.
- too many quests at once, or "the World of Warcraft syndrome". I found myself not really knowing what I'm actually doing, just following the arrow to the next quest like in WoW. They should just skip the fetch quests in future.
- lack of interaction with companions. When they talk with you it's fine, but between the missions they seem to have much less to say than your buddies in Origins. A shame, since I found some of the characters more interesting than the cast of Origins.
- The Arishok is one of the most annoying boss fights in recent memory. Just adding a metric ton of hitpoints on a boss doesn't make a fight more challenging.

Well, didn't plan writing that much, but the credits are still rolling so I guess it didn't take too long
Old 05-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #1803
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
Brütal Legend (XBox)
Awesome characters. Including EVERY playable unit in the RTS part.
Creating a game around metal is ambitious and the result, especially the RTS-part, might not satisfy at first sight, especially after the demo promises a linear game but i think the more time you give this considered weaker part you might like it more and more. At least i did. Very action oriented, not really strategy (as many RTS are today), were you not only built tons of units and throw them into battle but also have to jump right into the battle with the roadie character. Imo somewhat similar to a mix of Battle Realms and Dawn of War2. How to control that part with the pad is cleverly done.
Excellent soundtrack and i don't like metal too much.
Excellent world with great exhaust pipe, dragon, swamp locations. The goal, every screenshot should look like a metal cover, was achieved.
What put me off buying this when it was released was the negativity towards the combing of genres in the game- RTS and (from what I hear, somewhat shallow) third-person combat, and that both styles were unconvincingly glued together, and felt too separate from each other, if you get what I mean. Would you say this was true?

Tempted to give it a go after what you put there, especially at the low price it can be had for. Also, the soundtrack would be excellent for me- half of it I know, and I'm sure I'd get into a couple of bands from the stuff I don't know.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:58 AM   #1804
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
...combing of genres...glued together
It's action.
On one side hack&slash action on the other side action oriented RTS and in between driving around, listening to metal, unveiling the history of Ormagöden, titans, demons, groupies, headbangers, black tears, blood... the typical metal stuff.

Playing darts in GTA is also glued to the shooter? or the driving game? or the helicopter simulation?
Imo both games, as a whole, make sense (though i'm not sure if i will like GTA also).

I love all characters and stories Tim Schafer has so far created. The reason to play is not really the gameplay. If you really don't like it, remove the challenge, play it on easy and just follow the storyline.
But imo it gets hard only at the last three stage battles with brütal difficulty.

Quote:
the soundtrack would be excellent for me
I think it unlocked 100 tracks while playing. That's more than the usual HeroBand game offers.

GfWL Tinker
Bad:
- the four fixed isometric views/ no free camera
So in some levels there is no way you really can view the entire level in a proper angle.
- levels only unlock if you finish the previous one, no skipping
"Hide" level 07-20 if i am only incapable of finishing level 6 in set 7 is ridiculously stupid.
So watching youtube solutions is imo inevitable if you are stuck and have no clue how to begin.
(in the end i finished it 100%- incl. the challenge stars-, but i think i looked up 6 or 7 of the 160 levels to get at all to the finish point and 1 or 2 levels where i was not able to reduce my number of steps under the par limit.)
- redoing 100 steps again and again while varying always only some steps.
When will puzzle games get a record function, where i can save my first 30 steps and then iterate only the last steps? Am i the only one who is not "restarting" his newspaper puzzle when he finds a single lapse? Just correcting the error and then go on.

Good:
- It's a FREE game!
- sometimes more than one solution is possible
always good with puzzle games
- It's a free game!
- lasers, bombs, ice block, iron blocks, conveyors, mirrors...
pretty complex, but it works fine

More bad than good... nevertheless i liked it.
If you like puzzles, try it, because it's free.

Last edited by crackajack; 05-06-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:52 AM   #1805
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Battlefield Bad Company 2 (XBox)
Enemies without endless spawn. Good.
Destructions in the Frostbite engine look impressive, but the engine has some really odd moments when textures look like from two generations in the past on the borders of one or two levels and most houses look like cheap game scenery without realistic interior or architecture.
The story or atmosphere is not so much focused on being an intense adventure like CoD usually is but it's depiction of war is not really better. A joking badass troop with cliched role assignment... not really what i would want a war game to be.
CoD 1&2, because of their automatic realism by having WW as background and you being just one soldier within a big war, was better. Of course you were the hero in many events, but this modern war scenarios, were it appears like wars are fought by 4 to 5 guys and world safety get's safed or improved by some brave people, are ridiculous.
It's different to CoD but some things have a me too vibe.
I only played the SP.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #1806
ubergoat
New Poster

Just beat Mass Effect 2 (Xbox) on Nightmare. I wish that they made nightmare modes harder! Especially around the end as I'm approaching level 30 (I think I'd have it if I 100% explored every area which I will eventually) even killing Harbinger when he showed up every once in a while was a cakewalk by the time I got there. Still despite the ease, I still walked away feeling super awesome...something about good music, giant robots and big explosions makes anything feel good.
ubergoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:04 AM   #1807
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Playing darts in GTA is also glued to the shooter? or the driving game? or the helicopter simulation?
Imo both games, as a whole, make sense (though i'm not sure if i will like GTA also).
Well, that's why I asked- the biggest criticism I've read of Brutal Legend is that is feels like a mish-mash of action and RTS, and neither gels with the other particularly well, and neither really stands up on its own. I've never played Brutal Legend, so obviously I can't really comment on this for sure- I'm just going by what I've heard. I will be giving it a try if I see it around for a fiver.

You could argue that the darts mini game is a tiny fraction of the whole GTAIV experience, and furthermore, is an entirely skipable fraction at that. The main components of GTA are driving and shooting, and in GTAIV, I thought they got it just right. The earlier games (III through San Andreas)*didn't* combine the elements together very well, and so I don't view them as great games. So no, I wouldn't describe GTAIV as a driving/ darts hybred

Red Dead Redemption

Still technically not done with this game- I'm going to try and finish the challenges, the strangers tasks that are left over, and collecting the outfits. This is something I've never bothered doing with the GTA series, so I guess I'm having a better time with this than I did GTAIV.

I'll start with the bad; too much riding around from one destination to the next on your horse. This does allow for banter between John Marston and anyone you might be accompanying, but I thought these sections should be entirely optional. At least, they should have made it that if you get too far behind whoever you are with, they stop and wait for you, and you don't have to risk failing the mission; that way, you could fit a bit on hunting in to lessen the tedium.

Also didn't enjoy a few of the mission types, namely, ranching and horse breaking (the former, you have to guide a herd of cattle from point A to point B, trying not to lose too many, and the latter, you balance on the back of a bucking horse for what seems like two minutes, tapping left and right on the analogue stick. Fucking boring).

The positives; First of all, the characters in RDR are the best I've ever seen in a videogame. They vary from eccentric to believable to hilarious, sometimes all at once. Special mentions have to go towards Nigel West Dickens (probably my favourite character in a game ever), Landon Ricketts, and Seth, although there are plenty more I could add to the list. It was a pleasure to play as John Marston, but he was actually one of the weaker characters in the game- he could vary from pleasant and understanding to a threatening asshole, sometimes in the space of a cut-scene. In fact, one side-quest character makes the observation that it is curious how Marston "doesn't batter an eyelid when it comes to killing people, but honours the vows of marriage". A man full of moral contradictions, making him a fairly unbelievable character, and difficult to connect with. Not good when you have to spend (almost ) the entire game as him.

I found the story to be quite excellent, overall- plenty of plot twists and action, it moves along at a fair speed, and I loved the ending. I like how it felt like it was going to be the end of the game a few times, but then it just keeps carrying on. Makes the final scene with John Marston have even more impact.

Overall, loved it- Gameplay wise, it's just about worn thin as I'm finishing the game (the shooting is solid but repetitive and unremarkable, you will have seen most of the random encounters a few times before the end...) but I will definitely be buying the zombie add-on pack (forget what it's called), if only to be able to see more of my favourite characters for a brief time.

Last edited by JLB1987; 05-12-2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:48 AM   #1808
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Red Dead Revolver

[...] but I will definitely be buying the zombie add-on pack (forget what it's called), if only to be able to see more of my favourite characters for a brief time.
Are you sure you finished the right game? I have played neither Red Dead Revolver nor Red Dead Redemption, but I thought only the latter has a zombie add-on.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:54 AM   #1809
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Are you sure you finished the right game? I have played neither Red Dead Revolver nor Red Dead Redemption, but I thought only the latter has a zombie add-on.
Lol, corrected
Old 05-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #1810
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Quote:
feels like a mish-mash of action and RTS
Imo gamers are so conditioned on how (RTS-) games are identified (you are above the playfield?->definitely RTS!) and thus have to be played that Schafer had to explain how to play it:
http://kotaku.com/5382233/tim-schafe...-brutal-legend

The spawn points are sometimes odd when you fall off of a cliff and spawn at the latest garage you left which can be on the other side of the map and the driving itself can be odd because it's no (more or less) plain city as in Mafia or GTA but i have really no idea how to improve the gameplay with the limit of pad controls. Maybe speech orders.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:22 AM   #1811
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Imo gamers are so conditioned on how (RTS-) games are identified (you are above the playfield?->definitely RTS!) [...]
Pah! You speak for yourself, real RTS nuts played Battlezone (for the record: I'm still mad at EA that they canned Tiberium )
Old 05-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #1812
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
I found the story to be quite excellent, overall- plenty of plot twists and action, it moves along at a fair speed, and I loved the ending. I like how it felt like it was going to be the end of the game a few times, but then it just keeps carrying on. Makes the final scene with John Marston have even more impact.
Good report on RDR! I find that I'm getting fonder of the game as I get farther away from having played it, and it's usually the opposite for me. For example, Mass Effect 2 was great while I was playing it, but after I finished it and time went on, I was thinking, "Wait, that bit was a bit lame. Also, that bit...and that.."

With RDR, there were definitely large parts which I didn't enjoy playing, but I actually look back fondly on it as a whole. Loved the ending
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #1813
Gog
New Poster

Fragile Dreams - Farewell Ruins of the Moon

I was expecting a broken game with a good, emotional story and great atmosphere, like Nier or Deadly Premonition. I can be very forgiving toward gameplay issues and poor visuals if the game has artistic merit or connects with me emotionally or intellectually. The premise of this action RPG hooked me immediately; most of humanity has vanished from the face of the Earth, and the cities, once vibrant with life, are now slowly decaying and haunted by spirits. The player takes on the role of Seto, a lonely fifteen year old boy wandering the deserted streets of Tokyo in search of human warmth.

Unfortunately, Fragile Dreams is much worse than what I anticipated. First of all, the gameplay is relentlessly tedious and sometimes broken. The camera is awful, especially during boss fights. The inventory system is very far from being convenient (though not as bad as Resident Evil 5). Annoyingly, weapons break over time. There are no checkpoints to speak of; thus, you need to save often. This means you have to get through a plethora of menus, unskippable animations and loading screens every five minutes or so, in fear of losing progress and having to repeat awful gameplay sequences.

But what bothers me the most is the level design, which gets worse and worse as the game progresses. You'll have to backtrack and participate in fetch quests very often; the environments and puzzles won't change, and the story won't progress much during these segments. This was obviously done to increase the length; this three hour game has been turned into an eight hour game.

Graphically and artistically, Fragile Dreams starts out pretty good. Great intro movie, music and atmosphere, and okayish character design. The environments start out nice, colorful and rich in details. But once you get past the four hour mark or so, the game will force you through endless dark tunnels, filthy labyrinthine sewers, copy-pasted rooms and so on, until the very end of the game.

Like I said before, all of this wouldn't have mattered to me if the story was good enough (though, in this case, it really needed to be something special and stellar). Well... the story had much potential, but was handled pretty badly. I was bewildered by all the clichés and idiotic twists the plot threw at me.

Most of the problems come from the fact that Seto, in his search for human contact (more specifically a girl he stumbled upon early on in the game), is never truly alone; most of the time, he's accompanied on his quest by a robot or a friendly ghost, with whom he can share his thoughts. Seto won't stop saying he's got to find someone, anyone, to talk to, but he makes plenty of friends over the course of the game, and they are more than willing to talk to him. So the payoff when you finally find the girl Seto is looking for is weak, because he never truly was alone in the first place.

Suspension of disbelief was pretty hard to achieve too, for me, at least; for example, you'll come across a little talking box which is inexplicably capable of expressing human emotions, such as jealousy, compassion and sadness. It is also perfectly capable of conversing with Seto on any subject that crosses his or its mind. This is pretty ridiculous sci-fi stuff.

Also, Project Glass Cage, the cause of the disappearance of all mankind, which I won't spoil here, is also nigh impossible to take seriously, and isn't explained in great detail either. It is most likely that the writers didn't know exactly what to do with it or how to explain it properly.

I mean... technology is so absurdly and needlessly advanced in this game's plot that anything could happen, really. The girl you are chasing for most of the game could very well be an android, for all I know. Hell, even Seto could be a robot. Don't worry, they are not. But they very well could be, and it wouldn't surprise me.

Still, I could disregard all of this if the characters and dialogues were any good, endearing or interesting. Loneliness, the fall of civilization, the limitations of speech, these are all great subjects that are touched upon in this game. Unfortunately, they are explored superficially and in predictable ways. To make things worse, the game tries to make you emotional by spouting at you cliché-emo-JRPG-friendship bonds-tragic death-crap when it is far from necessary. To put it bluntly, the dialogues are below average and the characters are under-developed and bland.

Conclusion: this was a very mediocre experience. Maybe some of you will find an emotional resonance of some sort with this game, but I doubt it. Thanks for reading. This looks more like a review than anything, but at least it helped me practicing mon anglais.

I hate video games - way too much wasted potential. This expensive hobby seems to get more and more futile with each passing day. Hopefully L.A. Noire and Catherine will be passable.

Last edited by Gog; 05-14-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Gog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:09 AM   #1814
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Great writeup, Gog.
Quote:
I hate video games - way too much wasted potential. This expensive hobby seems to get more and more futile with each passing day. Hopefully L.A. Noire and Catherine will be passable.
For all the talk about the potential of gaming, and the artistic merits of games etc, I think that to be actively looking for a deeper or more meaningful experience in games is a bit of a mistake at the moment. There are undoubtedly thought-provoking and unique-gameplay experiences out there, but the industry has to mature a bit more before these games become more common, if they ever do. Of course, I may have misinterpreted your statement.

LA Noire got 5/5 from an English paper who inadvertently broke the review embargo, so it may be decent. I'll post the review elsewhere in case anyone is interested.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #1815
Gog
New Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
For all the talk about the potential of gaming, and the artistic merits of games etc, I think that to be actively looking for a deeper or more meaningful experience in games is a bit of a mistake at the moment. There are undoubtedly thought-provoking and unique-gameplay experiences out there, but the industry has to mature a bit more before these games become more common, if they ever do. Of course, I may have misinterpreted your statement.
Thank you, that's exactly what I meant. I have the tendency to expect more from video games than mere entertainment, and shoveling through the mud in search of hidden gems has been getting very disheartening lately.

Shamelessly ripping off cinema, tv shows, anime and litterature and implementing tired, conventional gameplay ideas or shoddy gimmicks is not getting the video game industry anywhere. Most well-received games I stumble upon are misdirected, shallow and have baffingly obvious flaws, which is perplexing, considering all the money, energy and time spent on these projects. I'm tired of being so forgiving and obtaining nothing of value in return. Yet... sometimes I catch a glimpse of what I'm looking for, and it's more than enough to keep me going.
Gog is offline   Reply With Quote