About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 04-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #1786
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

I played it unpatched and found it to be quite stable until the later stages; however I found that as the game went on, my uncertainty grew - I didn't know whether I couldn't complete a quest because it was bugged or because I was doing something wrong. Lots of little things started nagging at me and I got no pleasure out of the last twelve or fifteen hours as I completed it. Even the final cutscene crashed on me, which was the icing on the cake. Man, that was annoying.

I wish I'd waited to play it. It should be a fine experience now!
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:41 AM   #1787
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Bit Trip Beat
With a CRT-display, a plasma-screen or a TFT without overdone overdrive and real 2ms response time it might be much fun, but taking pong, color it and then make all flash crazy is just hard for the eyes. Blinking, moving red dots on a green line with black background. That's totally not fun to look at! Although games like Geometry Wars or Beat Hazard do similar effect storms i never was stressed with their effects.
Gameplay was ok since it's actually pong.
Levels should have been shorter; not 3@15min length, much better would have been 15@3min. First because it could be played with pauses between levels and secondly it would be less frustrating doing a good job in 95% of the level and then failing a fucked up "slalom part".
I beat the final endboss once, on easy!, and i will not try to solve it on normal.
Was fun for a short time. But would it not have been part of a steam xmas-sale-bundle i would have regretted a purchase. That's imho 99ct app material, no 8€ game.

Last edited by crackajack; 04-21-2011 at 04:43 AM.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #1788
Gog
New Poster

Portal 2

I got through both the solo campaign and the coop in one three day rental. A very short game really, and with no replay value whatsoever.

However, it is pretty entertaining for the time it lasts; there is great animation (the robots have convincing body langage), funny writing, endearing characters and some very clever puzzles and gameplay sequences to be found. Also, the ending is very satisfying, for once.

It does get a bit repetitive, though, especially when you are forced to go through a certain number of test chambers before the plot finally progresses or you are sent elsewhere.

All in all, great for a rent.

Drakengard

An old japanese action RPG for PS2. I bought it because it was developed by Cavia, who are also responsible for Nier, a favorite of mine.

For starters, I'll write about the story (it clearly is the most interesting aspect of this game): it follows the troubled life of Caim, a mute sociopathic mass-murderer who is forced to make a pact with a red dragon. The beast shows great disdain for mankind, so together they will slay with glee countless human beings (including children) over the course of the game, all the while searching for Caim's sister, Furiae.

Furiae is the living embodiment of a sacred seal protecting mankind from a great evil; needless to say the antagonists are after her. She also has a deep incestuous love for her brother (this is her only defining character trait, beside helplessness).

Caim and his dragon will be joined on their quest by a senile old man (who will be kicked in the face many times by Caim during cutscenes, seemingly for no reason at all), a repentant pedophile, a child eating psychopath, and a whiny little boy (who will be preyed upon by the aforementioned members of the party).

You find out eventually that the main villains are a former friend turned foe with serious self-esteem issues and an unquenchable lust for Furiae, a masochistic six years old girl, and giant cannibalistic babies.

There are five endings, and each one is incredibly depressing, bleak and screwed-up.

Anyway, the story is pretty interesting, but the writing, pacing and voice acting are all very poorly executed, and a lot is left to the imagination (there have been significant cuts made in the American version of the game (incest and pedophilia have been toned down a notch to appease the ESRB)). Still, I admire what they were trying to do (breaking down taboos, casting murderous psychopaths and sexual deviants as heroes, etc.).

Still, the game itself is horrendously bad. It plays like a poor man's Dynasty Warriors with some sub-par Panzer Dragoon flying sections. It is also incredibly repetitive in nature (very limited moveset, missions and maps are repeated ad nauseum), and I was really struggling to get through it. Nier is the pinnacle of gameplay excellence, compared to this.

So... even if I kind of like Drakengard in spite of all of its flaws, I highly recommend playing Nier instead of this dreary grindfest.
Gog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:41 AM   #1789
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I just finished Silent Hill 3. Actually, I just watched a friend play through the entire game in 2-3 hour segments. Just watching the game was a lot more fun than I thought it would be. In fact, I think I enjoyed it more this way than I would have if I was actually playing. He was able to make the game seem a lot more cinematic and a lot less frustrating than it probably is.

I also finished Shadowgrounds, which I got as part of the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle. I played through it in one long sitting (probably eight hours) and loved most of it. I don't actually think it's that great a game, and I don't think I'd recommend it to very many people... but it was exactly the type of game I was in the mood for this weekend. I appreciated how "retro" the action felt (I haven't played a good top down shooter in a long time), and I liked all the atmospheric touches that modern technology allowed. Also, I'm not sure I'll ever get tired of playing games that are essentially just rip offs of the film Aliens.

Last edited by Zanbatou; 04-26-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Zanbatou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #1790
JLB1987
Sex machine

Half Life 2 (off of the Orange Box for the 360). Very apprehensive about playing this, as I remember not enjoying the original Half Life at all (bought the Orange Box for Portal).

Half Life 2 really does deserve the praise it gets, I can finally see what all the fuss is about. Couple of bits of the game frustrated me (didn't like the vehicle sections, and there were a couple of areas that seemed to cheaply hand out death, causing numerous reloads), but overall, one of the better FPS I've played
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #1791
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gog View Post

Stuff about Drakengard

Snip
That's a great, in-depth update. And then you say go and play something else instead.

@crackajack - agree entirely with you on Bit Trip Beat. If I hadn't bought it on impulse in a Steam sale I would have been very disappointed.

@JLB: yeah, the hoverboat section was a grim ride for me. Thought it would never end.

I hope to finally finish a game in 2011 soon.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #1792
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Resident Evil 5
Took a while to complete because I played with a friend co-op and we didn't necessarily have spare time at the same time. I stand by my previous assessment that the RE controls need a fundamental overhaul. Why do I have to press at least 2 buttons to slash with my knife or fire a gun? I still don't see the necessity for having a dedicated button to pull my knife out. Why do I have to press a combination of 2 buttons to reload my gun? In times of analogue control sticks it shouldn't be necessary to press a button to sprint either, but RE isn't the only culprit in this specific case. In many fights I was battling the controls more than the enemies. That is not how it should be.

Then those quicktime events...
Whole bossfights consisting of a succession of quicktime events. Is that really necessary?

I stopped playing singleplayer quickly because the AI partner was driving me mad. However: I still don't know why I can't just start a game as 2 player co-op splitscreen? Maybe I was missing a vital point but why do I have to start a game first in order for the second player to be able to join?

Who thought that inventory system would be a good idea? Ok, my Pistol takes as much space as a grenade launcher, which takes as much space as an egg, which takes as much space as 12 grenade launcher rounds, which take as much space as one herb, which takes as much space as a bulletproof vest, which for some reason takes a space in my inventory. I have to admit however, that fiddling in your inventory to equip a grenade while a guy with a potato sack over his head and a chainsaw in his hands chases after you gives everything a sense of urgency.

After all this ranting it might surprise some that I actually enjoyed playing the game. It had enough interesting encounters to keep us interested, even though there was some enemy-recycling involved.

It is the first RE game I played longer and actually played through (I tried RE4 on the PC but that was such a horrible port that I stopped before I completed the first level). For a newcomer to the series RE5 is not exactly welcoming. I had no idea what those people were going on about with a dozen different viruses they chased after. The only things I knew were that Umbrella is evil so is Wesker, who for some reason wars sunglasses at night, refuses to die and has delusions of grandeur. The "history of resident evil" on the loading screens didn't help, since none of the names mentioned were familiar and the screens didn't follow the timeline they supposed to portray in a sequence that would make sense. The whole underlying plot is impenetrable and I felt like someone who started to watch a TV show at the last 2 episodes of the 9th season. What I noticed of the plot wasn't specifically deep or interesting anyway. It's all about kicking crazy looking monsters in their glowing weakspots.

I'd give a 6.5/10

Last edited by Li-Ion; 04-28-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #1793
Mike Bracken
Next-Gen Poster

Capcom got away with the whole "the game would be too easy and not scary if we changed the control scheme and made it easier to do things like walk" for a long time. Those days are gone, though.

I like RE4 a lot (haven't played 5 yet -- it's in my backlog queue), but with each new zombie game released with workable controls and real movement speed, RE looks more and more antiquated.

If we ever do a show on "What Series Do You Think Needs a Complete Overhaul", RE would most likely be my choice.

Come to think of it, that might actually make for a good show.

Staying on topic, I'm part of the way through Metro 2033. Not impressed.

My game collection: http://users.ign.com/collection/sadeian
Mike Bracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #1794
c4nc3rc0wb0y
New Poster

I won't lie, RE5 is one of my guilty pleasures. Despite some glaring shortcomings (inventory system, stupid AI, ridiculous QTEs) the game does have a very high replayability factor, and the gunplay is tight enough that upgrading your weapons is actually worth it. (Mike, I don't know if you'll dig it, the horror aspects are *seriously* lacking.

That being said, I just completed the single player campaign of Portal 2- and let me tell you, it is probably the best direct sequel ever made. While I could talk for hours about how good every single aspect of Portal 2, I think everyone should find out for themselves!
c4nc3rc0wb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #1795
Mike Bracken
Next-Gen Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4nc3rc0wb0y View Post
(Mike, I don't know if you'll dig it, the horror aspects are *seriously* lacking.
How does it compare to RE4? I really liked RE4. I think after that, it's a toss up between 2 and Code Veronica for my favorite.

My game collection: http://users.ign.com/collection/sadeian
Mike Bracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #1796
c4nc3rc0wb0y
New Poster

Personally, I felt the best moments in Resident Evil 4 were the initial encounter in the village, the fight with big crocodile thing in the lake, and the fight with "It" in the cargo cars suspended above a huge chasm. All of those moments were intense as hell, and stick in a lot of people's memories.

Resident Evil 5 just doesn't carry that same "whoa" factor that 4 did. A lot of the monsters are basically rip-offs of enemies from RE4, including a lot of bosses, not to mention lifting entire set-pieces from previous games (all of a sudden a village of foreigners turns on you and you have to fight them for a set amount of time?)

Finally, as much as I liked playing co-op with my girlfriend, playing the single player campaign with an AI partner takes away a lot of the isolation-type horror aspects from previous games. Previous installments like RE3 and RE0 had support characters, but there was always this feeling of being alone- you might have back-up, but there's no way they can help you.

In RE5 if your back-up doesn't save you it's probably because she's behind you shooting zombies in the opposite direction...
c4nc3rc0wb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #1797
JLB1987
Sex machine

It's great that I can post on here twice in the space of a few days- Instead of playing many games at once, I'm trying to get into the habit of concentrating on one game at a time, so I have a fighting chance of finishing them.

Finished the Darkness two days ago. Great little game, although I'm glad it stopped when it did- the narrative peaked at around the third of the five sections, and then took a nosedive as far as I'm concerned. Shame, as the first chapter inparticular set the scene brilliantly, and the ends of both chapters one and three were fantastic.

Gameplay was solid, although I found aiming a little hard (although this is, in part, due to my stubborness- I refuse to ever use auto-aim, which I immdiately turned off here). Also, whilst the darkness powers certainly put the odds in your favour at times, you never feel *quite* as all-powerful as I'd imagine you should, even when your surroundings are pitch black. Liked how you had to constantly shoot/ switch off lights to give yourself a fighting chance against the mob, though, and if you stay in the light, you have no powers and feel like a regular human. Pretty challenging game, even on normal mode. Looking forward to the sequal.

Got Quake 4 and Tomb Raider Anniversary on the go right now (going against my own rule already!!!), so hopefully I'll be adding to this thread again soon
Old 04-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #1798
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
Finished the Darkness two days ago. Great little game, although I'm glad it stopped when it did- the narrative peaked at around the third of the five sections, and then took a nosedive as far as I'm concerned. Shame, as the first chapter inparticular set the scene brilliantly, and the ends of both chapters one and three were fantastic.

Gameplay was solid, although I found aiming a little hard (although this is, in part, due to my stubborness- I refuse to ever use auto-aim, which I immdiately turned off here). Also, whilst the darkness powers certainly put the odds in your favour at times, you never feel *quite* as all-powerful as I'd imagine you should, even when your surroundings are pitch black. Liked how you had to constantly shoot/ switch off lights to give yourself a fighting chance against the mob, though, and if you stay in the light, you have no powers and feel like a regular human. Pretty challenging game, even on normal mode. Looking forward to the sequal.
loved this title as well. Even enjoyed the silly accessory bits of dialing phone numbers and wandering the subways. It just felt right. NYC gothic.

HATED the slog across the spectral battlefield with the regenerating enemies. HATED. Such a grind.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #1799
Pedro
128-bit Poster

At last!

Finished Demon's Souls at 3am last night. What a magnificent game.

I bought a PS3 for this game, but then got cold feet to some extent. I'm not a skilful gamer, preferring the 'experience' over the gameplay. I'm not a fan of boss battles, lacking the dexterity to deal with them efficiently. So a game with no checkpoints and where you have to restart the level if you die (esp in boss fights) was really my worst nightmare.

Still, I took the plunge a few weeks ago and was quickly sucked into the world. The amazing atmosphere, level design, environments and rpg elements gave me what I normally look for in a game. The difficulty was rough; it took me 11 hours to beat level 1. However, there was something in that first level that made me persevere. I guess it was the strength of all the other elements of the game that made me accept the challenge - and also the fact that I could learn from my mistakes suggested that I could maybe finish the game. There was a bit too much falling down holes and into bottomless pits for me, but at least I could see that these things were my own fault.

I played as a high-DEX hunter, ending up at level 72. It also took me 72 hours to complete the whole thing.

The high for me was the environments/levels. The Boletarian Palace in particular was just amazing.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #1800
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
loved this title as well. Even enjoyed the silly accessory bits of dialing phone numbers and wandering the subways. It just felt right. NYC gothic.

HATED the slog across the spectral battlefield with the regenerating enemies. HATED. Such a grind.
I thought the concept of the levels set in hell was better than the actual gameplay. I really like the idea of hell being personal, rather than a place with lots of fire and getting pitchforks shoved up your arse. I like the mood of hell in The Darkness. But having to eat the hearts of EVERY german zombie bad guy got boring after doing it about five times, let alone a hundred. The first section set in hell went on way too long, it was boring... easily the worst chapter of the game. Really hope the sequal leaves out the forays into hell.