About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #1741
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Following my own post with another post, booyah! Also following the last game I beat with a game in the same series, double booyah!

Super Mario Bros. 2 (Super Mario All-Stars Wii version). For all the comments on how easy this game is, and always has been, Wart is considerably harder than any final Bowser battle. The final few stages leading up to the finale are also a decent challenge.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:14 AM   #1742
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Crysis Warhead
Graphics are usually not the most important feature of a game but here it's the most shining part.
A 2008 release with a 2007 engine and it looks better than anything current. While it was a bit stupid how many gamers thought Crysis ran bad on their "ancient" machines (use lower settings! then it would have looked better than most games ) it now runs perfect on average gaming rigs with really fun physics/explosions.

The nano suit doesn't work well imo, at least on the hardest level were you die fast. Speed is for running between action, never found an opportunity for use in combat, strength is pretty useless except for the jumps you have to make, cloak is fine to observe the area without getting caught instantly but for attacks the enemies were too many and it would take forever to wait for the perfect moment. So shield is in almost every moment the best choice to survive. Without it every hit can be lethal, so every attack would have to be perfect and that takes longer than rush in and die occasionally. In theory it sounds good, but in this case i think i would have preferred (again, as in Crysis) gameplay focused on "normal" shooting like in Far Cry. As it appeared to me the suit is a gimmick that lacks proper game design to offer really four gameplay styles.

AI had no bad performances this time. In Crysis sometimes they got lost in the woods, especially bad if you have to clear the area and instead of being chased i had to search them. But Warhead was imo more linear so they could not run around so far. Alien AI was also well done with the Men in Black crash landings stopping in front of your toes.

Crytek seems to need a better director. The story was ok, but this is the area were the game could have been improved the easiest. It tries to be one of those cinematic action games but we're not in the 80's anymore were this would fit good to Cobra (Die City Cobra) or Raw Deal (Der City Hai).
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:26 AM   #1743
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Beat Hazard (PC)
Whether you enjoy this game or not, strongly depends on your will to experiment with your song library. The gameplay and enemy types would be unfun after maybe 1 hour without the "play your own music" twist.
Actual goals are hardly given and the game varies actually never. Enemies and meteors are constantly threatening your battle ship depending on the intensity of the track you play and your firepower depends also on that.
Basically it's high score hunt, the search for the ideal song under 3 min. or 3-4, 4-5 or over 5 to get the maximum multiplier and as many opponents without getting destroyed.
Theoretically it could be fun forever but as the gameplay is really not that good i might only be motivated playing another 10 hours because of the coming DLC.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #1744
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Everyday Genius SquareLogic
The basic rules are equal to standard Sudoku but you have to work with elementary arithmetic rules or just by bigger/smaller arrows and grid sizes starting from 4x4 to final 9x9.
Took me over 10 hours to master all challenge puzzles, the campaign of the game. Over 19000 puzzles remaining just for fun. i.e. 98% undone.
Well worth the steam sale prize.
Everyone who likes Sudoku should try the demo.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #1745
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Singularity. Thumbs up!
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #1746
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Finished CoDBlOps, or Call of Duty: Black Ops if you're against abbreviations. Nothing stands out apart from the fact that the game orders you around constantly. I don't understand why this is one of the best selling (or was it even the best selling?) game of 2010. Well, at least I didn't pay for it and will return the disc tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #1747
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Lots of people seem to be trading it in for a good price, as the multiplayer is still broken, I hear.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:48 AM   #1748
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Flatout: Ultimate Carnage (PC)
I loved the demo of the original Flatout ... never bought it. I actually own Flatout 2. It was a magazine addition ... never played it. Now i bought the Flatout UC and finally didn't put it to the side.

Car and object physics are most of the time very well. Burnout might have more impressive car deformation, but the whole race of Flatout often seems to be a constant crash. The Burnout demo seemed faster, but i got bored very soon. At Flatout it makes much fun to plow through the obstacles in the level and the opponents.
The first two thirds of the campaign are great. Not really easy, but it's doable to win while crashing like a suicidal maniac. Not even necessary to become first all the time to win a cup, which is unrealistic and unfun in other games.
But the fun fades in the last class. The game is just too long to keep the entertainment factor with always over the top action supported by impellent music. The music tracks get annoying and i turned music completely off. It was to penetrative to hear those few Indie rock songs on endless loop for 20 hours. (listened to some of my albums instead. multitasking ftw.). And in this class it gets frustrating when you then have to win 3 out of 5 races to win at the end. The best CPU-driver is always in front and the game also starts to sort of cheat. (at least here it became obvious while before it might just not have been visible). No matter how often he crashs, makes u-turns, which always cost me some important seconds, he just starts his nitro and rockets himself to the front. Especially unfun when i always start on twelfth position while my rival is in front shortly after the start and i have to work my way through the unfriendly AI and avoid any crash, cause that costs me precious time in the chase.

The Carnage mode on the other side is great and could have been even longer. Races where you have to jump and crash as much as possible to get points, time trial races were you have to keep pushing all the time because a bomb is ticking and special events were you have to throw your driver and he basically becomes a ball. Baseball, soccer, football... The german cut version is actually better than the original imo, because in their version you play as a crash test dummy. I found the real man with screams rather macabre and inappropriate.

Online seems to be almost dead even though recent Steam sale should have brought some new players like me. And i don't like its menu at all.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #1749
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Just became a Picross 3D master! Bow down before my greatness! Completed three stars on all puzzles, finished all "bonus" puzzles, and have gold ribbons on all levels.

Also, an aside: was reading some of the first pages of this thread and it's great reading what was being played almost 7 years ago. Interesting to see some of the old posters too!
Old 01-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #1750
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Just finished Enslaved: Odyssey to the West.

I'm actually very impressed. A spectacular environment, great set pieces, sumptuous sets and a mature theme were combined to form an excellent game. I'm not generally keen on action/platformers but I enjoyed it a lot. Can't understand how it sold so badly.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #1751
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Enslaved

Like most people, I loved the characters, story, and environments. The combat was pretty good. The biggest flaw of course was the platforming. Too constricting.

Overall great experience.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #1752
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Just finished Kirby's Epic Yarn. Overall, a good solid platformer, albeit a little slow, with fantastic art direction. High point of the game would be the majority of the transformations Kirby comes across, especially the shooter levels. There should really be more of these! Boss battles are also very well done, though Meta Knight is a little lame.

The first few levels live up the the Epic "Yawn" comments I've read here-and-there. It's a shame the developers didn't do something different with the first couple stages because the later levels are quite well done and worth finishing out the game. Took me less than 7 hours, so the price tag would be better set at $30, but I picked it up in a buy two, get one free deal.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:22 PM   #1753
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

Just beat Nier based on the many recommendations here.

I really enjoyed the second half of the game much more than the first half. Mostly because they're not attempting to introduce/establish characters and relationships, but are instead just letting them interact. The writing in the first half was pretty wonky, and it felt like you'd meet someone, and then in the next cutscene you'd get a bit of dialogue about how "you should never give up, after all we've been through together."

Luckily, if you just ignore this, it makes more sense in the second half of the game, and is thus more enjoyable.

I dunno if it was said much, but the music carried this game through its dry spells.
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #1754
Pedro
64-bit Poster

So the second half is better? I'm in the Underground Facility and don't feel like continuing.

Was playing puzzle agent tonight and as finding it quite enjoyable until I came across this puzzle, where you have to identify which gnome is missing based on a negative.

Could not solve it, no way. Finally I gave in and got a hint, turns out it centred on the red\green hats, something I was completely unaware of as I'm colourblind. Man...even knowing that, I can't pick out the red from the green.

I'm considering it beaten.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:26 AM   #1755
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Puzzle Dimension
I didn't like the invisible blocks (actually transparent on certain positions) and that the camera could not be moved really free in pause mode. There should have been an adventure like point and click control mode better suited to PC-gaming, but the mechanics with various blocks, e.g. one i can use only once, were fun and satisfying each time a level was beaten.
Choosing a ball as the player figure was rather a bad choice, because i assume a ball should be able to roll in all directions freely and so i very often thought moving diagonally would be best now, but the game allows rolling only in 4 directions (or jumping). A wall-e robot or whatever cubically form would have suited that design better.
Pixelated graphics which are unpixelated in the course of the game looked great.
Took me 20 hours to finish everything.