About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #1696
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Finished Uncharted 2 yesterday.
Fine little evolution step.

Technically it got better, graphics looked great in the snow areas, but initial loading times are still quite long. I would rather have some short ones in between than wait so long at every beginning. (Or am i supposed to play it in one run?)
Characters faces looked better, practically on par with Crysis but the glance in the eyes was creepy, especially Chloe was frightening. I hate it when designers overdo a effect just to show off that they have that effect.
Havoc physics added some realism, great.
Seamless animations might be on top of the industry, but there is still plenty room for improvement.

Negative: twice the console froze. Once by starting the game, so either the game or the XMB has had an error (load game plus load background= multitasking failure?) and the second time while finishing one checkpoint (=autosave), finding a treasure and then wanting to watch it at the same (load that object. so again a multitasking error?). Wipeout Fury also hang once at one loading screen. Consoles seem to beat the PC nowadays in every discipline.

Action, puzzling and adventure was staged quite well, always in a flow. It's a solid, fast paced action adventure, like the first one. And i think due to that speed the drama doesn't work that great. Also red-shirts alarm. This is maybe my problem with the game that hinders me to love it. It's just too polished, too straightforward, no real climax fun, i am just constantly challenged by the action and constantly enjoying the progression but it feels like pushing an on- by starting the game and an off-fun-button by turning the machine off. Just too perfect, no up and down.

The characters and dialogs were ok, some really great. "clowns"! loved that and him thinking far ahead... But i didn't like "egocentric, self confident bitch" Chloe much, and her accent, and the other new adventurer. Ms. Sunshine, Elena, and Sully are more likable characters.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #1697
joetbd
32-bit Poster

Finished Red Faction Guerrilla.

I loved the game at the start.
Got tired of it.
Got frustrated with it.
Liked it again.
and finished it.

There are times in that game, when enemies will just come at you from all sides. And that game can get rough, even on the normal difficulty setting. But after you upgrade a few times, things ease up some. I think the jetpack is what made the game fun again. The hammer of ultimate destruction (which you start the game with) was great, but the addition of the jetpack really helped.

The developers tracked what difficulty people were playing on. And 40% of people played it on "easy".
joetbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #1698
reason49
New Poster

Just finished getting all achievements on WANTED: Weapons of Fate.

Meh, I probably should have picked a game I could have at least bragged about...
reason49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:50 AM   #1699
reason49
New Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetbd View Post
Finished Red Faction Guerrilla.

I loved the game at the start.
Got tired of it.
Got frustrated with it.
Liked it again.
and finished it.
I'm in the same boat:

I played in when it first game out, got through about halfway and quit. I was playing on Normal, and I was having to take my time and be careful. The game was designed in such a way that, you aren't really having much fun if you are taking your time.

When I picked it up almost a year later, I put it on Easy and had a blast*. Now it is probably one of my favorite games at the moment (single player and multiplayer are both great.)

Only drawback of the game (as a completionist) is the demanding achievements: 250 ranked game wins? 5000 multiplayer kills? Yikes.

The DLC prequel is also very nice, if you have 10 bucks lying around.

*no pun intended
reason49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #1700
joetbd
32-bit Poster

Finished Red Dead Redemption.
Good solid western.

The Gatling Gun was difficult to aim, When possible I skipped the big gun, and just used the normal six gun or rifle.

Now Im going to sell it, and see if I get enough money to buy Alan Wake.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #1701
joetbd
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason49 View Post
When I picked it up almost a year later, I put it on Easy and had a blast*. Now it is probably one of my favorite games at the moment
Its one of those games that gets the "fun" right. Half the time, I just used the hammer as my main weapon (not possible on hard). When I wasn't playing bad guy baseball, I liked to use the denigration ray. I loved taking out the supports on a structure, and watch it topple.

I might wait six months, and dip back into it (I finished the story, but there is still a lot of side stuff to do yet). Its the sort of game, you could just pick up and play, without redoing the entire story.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #1702
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Civilization IV Ultimate (all addons + Colonization)
Played only some rounds, which are hundreds, and i think i won only one. So i am as close to have beaten it as it is in a reasonable time frame.

I hated it, so my will to spent even more hours with this time glutton disappeared too fast to really be able to understand what gamers and critics loved about it.

I wasn't able to climb its invisible wall of complexity with the too simple, not self explaining tools it gave me. It appeared like everything were hidden in those F1-12 menus, though the tutorial not really said i have to use them and in short glimpses i had no impression i had to work with them.
So from hour 0 to hour 20, 25 i just clicked on the suggestions the game made (or what i thought sounded cooler) and it didn't give any hint how to win properly. Sure, the manual said i can win in different ways, but how to start a space shuttle is somewhere hidden in the civilopedia?
I don't know.
I build several times the same parts and nothing happened, so i won because of the 500 rounds limit. The next time i lost because both cpu-players decided to make war against me, while i was far ahead in the rating. Very fair, for easy difficulty... Also the soldiers are stupidly balanced, or at least i don't see how this should be logic. They attack with 19th century mounted forces against my 20th century artillery and win? My SMG-troops lose against musketeers? I more often win in open field when defending, offensive moves loose more often, and to conquer cities is almost impossible because he can sent dozens of units in no time there, although having only 3 cities left which don't reduce their defenses, so from nowhere?
They can't be serious?
And why does it take a multicore machine to calculate each turn so long? Anno does it real time and there you see many many more units moving all the time. I played only a fucking small map! I don't want to know how slow it gets when there are masses moving.

Before trying last year i had no opinion but i now i definitely prefer the Anno series.
Graphics and especially music are without discussion far superior, and the gameplay makes self explaining sense from building the first branch office (in english they might be called: harbor?) to (micro) manage dozens of goods on different islands. It's far less boring. Some scenarios can also take hours to finish but there i always have something to do, not only press next turn... *yawn*
Old 08-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #1703
hismastersvoice
New Poster

Rep Power: 0 hismastersvoice is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend and I rented Kane and Lynch 2 last night. Started playing around 12:15 and were done by 4. Very tense experience, but obviously short as hell.
hismastersvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #1704
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

(going through the post game end DLC on Fallout 3 GOTY... picked the flying saucer first... really wished I hadn't. Awful mission.)
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #1705
Cybrmynd
New Poster

A few weeks ago I completed Red Dead Redemption (not 100% mind you, just enough to complete the story) and had the same opinion of many others. Too many sidequests crammed in, making the game feel slightly superficial. A few weeks have past and I think the game is slightly overrated. The story was passable, but nothing fantastic and overly cliched.

I also completed Braid again, which I purchased on the PS3. I completely forgot all the answers to the puzzle, and made it an easier game to replay.
Cybrmynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:26 AM   #1706
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Finished Starcraft 2 singleplayer on hard some weeks ago already. I really like the game and Blizzard managed to get the right atmosphere. BUT: the ending is bad. Really bad. I checked the dvd with behind the scenes afterwards. The part where they talk about the story left me with this idea that the most memorable scenes in their previous games were accidental.

Since I started Oblivion (yes late to the party there) I didn't find much time for multiplayer. Let's see when I finally get over all my placement matches. So far I'm having fun with the challenges.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:05 AM   #1707
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Played Ms. PacMan until Level 21 and ate 4x4 ghosts.
So everything done to get all achievements. Did not take long, but it was enough.
One of the rare old games that still are a bit fun, for a while. Compared to the crap Game Room offers, where i hardly want to consume the offered free 10minutes.

Also finished the SP achievements of Bomberman Live.
I probably will never turn into a fan of this. It's fun after some hours, but i never got really into it.
Geometry Wars is easier for me to play and master, because there i'm free to move in everywhere, also it's more clear were the enemies come from: every direction. Bomberman with its rows and columns i have to have an eye on is something that's beyond my capabilities. I can't force myself to think in this pattern.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #1708
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Completed all the standard puzzles in Picross 3D. Still have some silver and gold puzzles to earn, but that might not happen for a while. What an excellent puzzle game, possibly even better than Picross DS.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #1709
NeoRanger
8-Bit Poster

Finished AC!D and then AC!D2. They were a great deal better than I'd be led to believe. In some ways, I enjoyed them more than most recent MGS titles, despite some pretty noticeable bumps along the road.
NeoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #1710
joetbd
32-bit Poster

Tr u

Tomb Raider UnderWorld,

Solid game. I dont know about the story, because I skipped all of the cutscenes. Which probably made the game twice as good as it normally is.

Lara Croft... the worlds worst archaeologist.
It seems like the developers purposefully made her as unlikable as possible. All she does is kill people and destroy undiscovered historical monuments. Isnt it about time we got over the "bad ass" female character, bucking the trend? Its 2010 not 1980.

And when she does "save the world" it always seems like an unintended consequence, because she was really out for revenge or some other Bad Ass purpose.

Its odd, because they always get the nicest women to do the voice work, and model for their publicity campaigns.