About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 04-14-2010, 05:18 AM   #1681
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

I finished Bayonetta about 6-7 times now. About 60 hours logged. I still think it has some obvious big contras but the arcade challenge it offers is something i missed since SNES-times. Without some guidance from the Internet i would have missed a lot of the fun. Loved it when i discovered what Kulshedra is capable off and after getting Odette. I have to wonder how something great is not directly implemented in the story mode...
Climax-Difficulty destroyed a lot of the fun i increasingly got in speed run gaming in normal difficulty because it removed the normally very important witch time and some enemies in between were a lot harder than e.g. the final boss.
Going for all-platinum and or beating the lost level is something beyond my capabilities. Climax was doable with frantic button mashing, 3 hour speed running on normal difficulty was done with only playing some levels twice, but those challenges would need perfectly timed dodging all the time.

Also replayed Kane&Lynch because i had to compare it with Gears of War which i don't enjoy up to now as much as i thought i would after the hype and general praise.
Shooting works fine, automatized cover system is a little strange but overall ok. It is a great interactive B-movie to watch sometimes. Compared to the C, D or Z standard players normally get just fantastic.

(I mentioned at my Batman impressions that i usually don't replay games a lot. Seems like trophies and gamerscore changed that a bit, and also my will to go for harder difficulties.)
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:47 AM   #1682
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Just finished Yakuza 3. It is 3 in the morning, so I'll post my impressions tomorrow on the Y3 thread.

To quickly sum it up. I really really liked it, despite having some major flaws.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:32 AM   #1683
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Finished Gears of War (360, Hardcore) after quite often being tempted to throw it in the corner.
While Modern Warfare (PC, Veteran) has some scenes were difficulty was annoying, Gears had every few meters such scenes. Something like playing UT with instagib all the time ... i think i beat the final boss only because path finding didn't work for a minute and i could shoot him sometime without being threatened.
My team had no brain, just running around, shoot a bit, but basically wanting to die and refusing to follow orders. Kane&Lynch did that better. You even can play, at least some of the levels, without shooting, just marking to the enemies and occasionally reviving your partners.
Reviving through adrenaline shots is also something i liked in K&L. It is something that punishes you a bit, but gives you at least another chance from time to time.
It was the first console shooter ever i wasn't able to get used to the controls. Had problems in aiming all the time. Hero turned fast enough for general movement, fine aiming didn't move at all or by moving a bit more jumped to much in a direction. The action-cam-running i disliked. It felt like a derailed train. I also often jumped around instead of going to cover. I really don't know what i did wrong. Chainsaw close combat was plain stupid. Press B and then RT. And sometimes i still shoot. WTF? Why not only B? Team orders through awkward lame responding LB+X/Y/B? Look at K&L how easily it can work.
Responsiveness of controls is also something i have doubts it was good. It felt like it had more lag than usual with wireless controllers.
Some cutscenes were skipable, some not. Sloppy programming?
Graphics compared to more recent Unreal-Engine games are sub par. Compared to UT3 on PC it looks like a game from previous generation. Mainly because of the absolute boring art style.
German voice acting was not as bad as of ODST but because the script was one of those Z-movie types, it didn't matter anymore. If there wouldn't have been any story at all i could have lived with it better. Funny thing is: UT3 got almost the same blabla.
Epic is stuck in the same time hole as id when it comes to stories...

A differently staged Quake copy... what's the big deal?
Coop seems a big thing for the game. Maybe in this way it is (more) fun. Or in MP.
I didn't get the idea why it was/is hyped so much.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:52 AM   #1684
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Finished Just Cause 2.

it was fun for the first 8 hours or so, but yeesh... too much.

Review's done. Coming soon.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:43 AM   #1685
seth
New Poster

I got all 16 Badges in Pokémon SoulSilver... but Pokémon never really ends. Only when you turn the game off, really -- the good times you have with those little devils last forever.

"... you have been helping me understand what it means to walk with Pokémon. It is that... there is no end to the relationship between people and Pokémon!"

I swear, the guy who localizes the NPC dialogue for the Pokémon games could probably write the next great American novel, or the sequel to the Bible. Needless to say, I prefer the line of work he's chosen.
seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:13 AM   #1686
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Geometry Wars Retro Evolved 2
Sort of retro but 3D-graphics, fast gameplay and intense color bombardment. Awesome.
Took some time to get used to control two sticks all the time, or at least most of the time, but after that, it's a fantastic game.
Smile-achievement was tough but each try improved my knowledge how to do it differently and better.
Great price for the live arcade pack on disc. 10€ for 4 games and gw alone was easily worth it.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:14 AM   #1687
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Super Luigi Galaxy
i.e. finished my second complete play-trough of Super Mario Galaxy. Slightly different, more difficult controls.

I liked the story, it's a story for kids, of course it's nothing what Lynch or Aronofsky does, so i don't get why critics complain about its incomplexity. It's heart touching on a simple level. Outstanding music, mixing some classic Nintendo tunes and adding some fresh notes. I think graphics are better than many of the HD-games. Great diversity in gameplay and very long playtime with almost no repetition.

Before starting this run i thought it was just a little better than Mario 64, but since i finished that one only once with 119 stars and on the second run with, i believe, 70 or so stars, this must have been better for me.

As good as 3d JnRs can get, until SMG2...
Old 05-26-2010, 02:57 AM   #1688
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Killzone2
Major error: they forgot to introduce new players, that haven't played the first one, to the universe properly.
Beside that i liked it, much more than Gears of War.
Graphics are similar boring in color but a step closer to Crysis, though it cost some awkward loading times that looked sometimes like the console hang. I can't exactly tell why, but i liked the style, while Gears felt all the time like a cheap UT03 modification.
Controls felt better than those of Gears but ODST felt more intuitive, more smooth. I just don't like the speed of turning my crosshair: small angles are to abrupt, and to turn around it takes forever. Would have been great to adjust the (non)linearity, and keys freely also (not just choose 6 fixed configurations).
The world was a little weird and dead but it worked for me nevertheless.
AI can be listed together with Far Cry1, HL2 and Fear1 on top. Well done.
What i really hated was the final boss battle. (stupid to end a game with the low on the end...) An AI that completely is based on spawning behind the player? WTF! Spawning opponents behind the hero is the most annoying thing shooters can do, and then this.
Difficulty was ok (2 of 4), until this boss which took some rockets, some heat from a flamethrower and some shotgun charges while my hero falls to the ground when hit twice with his knife (and some suicides because one rocket i shoot in his face kills me when he is to close... awesome). I don't like this either, enemies that for no apparent reason can take huge amount of damage.
Pity it is not coop-ready, but on the other side it can be played alone far better than Coop-Gears.

Solid shooter that didn't use its small potential in story and characters but didn't totally fail neither.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:10 AM   #1689
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Beat Dementium II on DS yesterday. Working on the review now.

Not a bad little title. Borrows a lot from Silent Hill, but still worthy.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #1690
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Finished Alan Wake yesterday. I would only recommend purchasing this game if you were a die hard Max Payne fan. Everyone else wait until it is below $20 or rent like I did.

It is worth playing, but it is short, poorly written, and kind of repetitive. The environments are nice, just not that much variety.

Alan Wake is a worthy successor to Max Payne, but doesn't have a lot of value.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #1691
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Finally found some time to play and finish Portal.
Best game ever! Ok, maybe not the best game ever but pretty close to being perfect. Waiting for Portal 2 now...

I'm hoping for a portal gun with a gravity gun attached to it in the sequel
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #1692
Kin Korn Karn

Since my 360 RROD'ed during Red Dead Redemption I have been catching up on PS3 titles. Check off Heavy Rain and 3D Dot Game Heroes. The former was somewhat entertaining, but had a pretty good time with the latter. Nicely done From Games.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #1693
Dramund
Dancing Chicken

While away from gamecritics (IE8 hated it):

Finished Killzone 2 single player. For some reason I put off trying multiplayer until I finish single player (sort of a "get used to the controls" thing) but I wish I hadn't. I found the Killzone 2 campaign to feel really drawn out and generic. Enemies refreshing in the same cover spot in 4-5 waves felt exhausting. Also the cover controls never felt right. I then tried multiplayer, which was the most fun I've had in a multiplayer shooter since Unreal Tournament/Counter-Strike. I thought I was turned off of that sort of gameplay forever since I couldn't get into MW2 but Killzone 2 is incredible. I found it a beatiful mix of CS-like tactics and TF2 strategy. I'm going back once I get through more games. Consequentially, traded MW2 in to pay for GoW3...

Finished God of War 3. Awesome beginning to end. God of War on PS3, I'd say it was what everyone was expecting. Will go trophy hunting as an excuse to replay.

Played through Portal. I'm not huge on puzzle games but it was short and very well put-together. As all Valve games, it offensively panders to geek culture but I can't really complain for the length of a movie.
Dramund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #1694
crackajack
64-bit Poster

done with Wipeout HD
Zonemode is great, just pure driving, getting continuously faster, with stylish simple colors with either D-Pad, stick and or only with motion control. No Move necessary, just the normal pad motion sensor and i would say it works great for that it never was advertised and also compared to wii-mote+.
Time Trial challenges are kind of easy, on hard, while actual races get annoyingly hard, on easy!, in the last races. Difficulty is totally fucked up in this mode. I drive 2:00, the winner drives 1:56, i drive 1:55, first one drives 1:52. That's clearly bullshitting me and i hate that. Not as bad as Mario Kart but close. Racing games should be me against a certain time +- some milliseconds not me against a time and a certain amount of luck in the last round.
What is worse compared to MK are the Items. You can absorb all, but in an offensive way it is limited: some can be dropped (mines) some can be fired in front but no button to change direction. Absorbing in a row as leader is lame.
Graphics are good, real HD not like the max. 720p HD lie Sony and MS want to sell, sharp enough textures, good speed feeling, acceptable loading times and good music use.
The annoying instant stops of Wipeout 64 are gone, now you get slow only when you scrape longer on the walls.

Physic has some weird moments when the ship almost sky rockets because of bad track design and me hitting a wall in a angle the game has to punish stupidly. Also the automatic control item has its dumbness on certain points it steer the ship off the track, and off the track often means you start again few meters before the section you dropped off the track. Great item plus stupid punishment for falling...

Shoulder triggers of PS3-Pad suck badly... but beside that, free button configuration is a major plus.

Fury expansion, with some interesting new modes, and some trophies still to go now.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #1695
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

The wife and I just beat New Super Mario Bros. Wii on two player co-op. An enjoyable enough entry into the Super Mario Bros. franchise. Not the best, but definitely better than the DS release.