About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 02-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #1666
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

finished first playthru of Heavy Rain. approx 10-12 hrs.

Loved it, wonky movement mechanics/Dragon's Lair control notwithstanding. The adult tone is so welcome, and there were definitely scenes that got to me emotionally. Two playthroughs, however and the magic is totally gone. I would recommend playing it once as a rental.

Last edited by RandomRob; 03-16-2010 at 10:32 AM.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #1667
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Finished Mass Effect 1. Meh would be the best way to describe my feelings for this game.

When I was at the final battle I seriously thought I was at the half way mark (under 12 hours). I thought I will beat this guy and find out he was just a puppet and that there is a much bigger enemy ahead. Nope. That was the end.

I liked the book more than the game. I never thought that I would say that about a game based book.

Off to Mass Effect 2 now. Hopefully I can beat it before Final Fantasy XIII come out.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:19 AM   #1668
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Finished Mass Effect 2.

My feelings are the opposite of what I felt towards the first game.

I thoroughly enjoyed Mass Effect 2.

Completion time
ME:11:56
ME2: 22:54
Old 03-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #1669
eaps
Husk of a Gamer

Finished Batman Arkham Asylum. It was great. I still have to finish off the Riddler puzzles. Now the game feels sedate. Was great.

Wrapped up ME1 also. I loved it. I'm probably in the minority here, but I loved the Mako and cruising around. I didn't go completionista on it, but did a ton of the side quests. Ended the game at about level 39? I was kind of surprised that I didn't even complete the majority of the game after about 35 hours of gameplay. Very cool.

Sticking with the "late to the party" theme... I'm picking up on Way of the Samurai 3 (thanks Chi!), Gears of War 1 and Borderlands.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #1670
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Played Hexic HD a bit in the last weeks.
Creating one black pearl was as close as i will get in "beating" the game.
I vaguely know how it is supposed to be played and creating some stars is doable but i am not able to take the last step in mastership to create with them more of the pearls and connecting a ring of those. I just loose them accidentally while moving around and i'm lacking patience to improve, to play more slowly.
Nevertheless a great fascinating game.

Finished Bayonetta on Hard Difficulty. Had no interest at all in watching the story again and so skipped every cutscene. Minus for dumb skipping (not just press B and done...) and no autoskip on additional tries. When do games finally learn that?
So fighting wave after wave was all what was left and that was frustratingly hard. Other than with Hexic i can't see how it can be beaten without luck. I still think it misses a good tutorial mode. I got a bit better than in "normal"-run, got again 1 silver award and 2 bronze (and rest stone. awesome!^^) but some scenes i survived just by luck. Same stupid difficulty like Modern Warfare 1 on Veteran.
Still have my problems in actually seeing what i and the enemies are doing. Combo system is interesting but camera work sucks in this game, especially the freeway scene drove me crazy, until i started to fight only on the sides. I miss feedback from the game, so i almost never know what attack i am supposed to use, when i have to block/counter.
AI has some troubles sometimes, at least in the freeway scene sometimes the other two enemies just weren't able to attack me, though most of the times all three simultaneously did.
The game also suffers from slowdowns on certain scenes. When you shoot vases on certain places, and physics have to work?, and in the shoot em up level for sure and i believe also sometimes while fighting. Kind of disastrous for a game that depends so much on exact timing.
Definitely no bad game, but in my opinion definitely no real good one either. Main feature is that it really challenges the player.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:33 AM   #1671
joetbd
32-bit Poster

Beat Mass Effect 2.

I like the dumb-it-down approach they took to the sequel. I know its fashionable to complain about this sort of thing. But I like the more "shooter" approach. And the removal of some the "busy work" elements (like you dont have to retrace your steps after each mission, you can pretty much just go instantly back to the mother ship. And the space stations are not as complicated to navigate as they were in the first one.

I also like the removal of the stupid tank.

The only change I didnt like is the characters. Just like every other recent sequel, they felt they had to make their new characters more spicy in the sequel. Tattoo girl, the assassin, enemy turned ally, ect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
Had no interest at all in watching the story again and so skipped every cutscene. Minus for dumb skipping (not just press B and done...) and no autoskip on additional tries. When do games finally learn that?
I'll second that. I hate sitting through the cutscenes on a second play through. Having an option in the menu to automatically skip them, would be Great.

Last edited by joetbd; 03-20-2010 at 01:37 AM.
joetbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #1672
Cybrmynd
New Poster

Just completed God Of War 3 last night. Enjoyed it a lot, the majority of the boss battles were pretty amazing. It was so damn brutal compared to the last two games, that I kept comparing it to Mortal Kombat because of its brutality and gore.

So yeah, just a general first impression of my first playthrough. I'll try and tackle the hard difficulty now. *gulp*
Cybrmynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:46 AM   #1673
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Played my first Halo game ever: H3-ODST
(except H1-pc-demo and some minutes H3-coop)
Liked the unusual music used in the rookie level and also the way objects "told" the past of the other characters and how the levels were woven together with this. Pacing was well done with a thrilling last level.
Story itself was a bit hollow, even after searching all of the audio tapes afterwards. Felt like a fan service for Halo-fans.?! "Funny" brutes seemed totally inappropriate, missed some big or interesting bosses, also in the own team. The stupid "love story" bits and rather terrible (german) voice acting was nerving.
Legendary difficulty was fun, though a bit imbalanced. After Level 2, at the two hunters, a big obstacle was taken early and later scenes were all easier than this first, at that moment, hard hurdle. (without ample grenades almost impossible?!?)
Savepoints were sometimes awkward set, driving was also only ok after some time, AI matched the/my gamepad-slowness but looked rather boring. Compared to Gears graphics look mediocre and already that doesn't blow me away either.

Reminded me of Unreal 1 with some Metroid and UT04 bits... whatever. Actually that would be interesting but i was not really struck.
It's a pretty decent, smoothly playable game but if it would have gotten the same scores like Halo3 i would have to wonder what the hype was about.
That better(?) game experience lies in front of me.

Not played the MP because MS wants money for Live and i rather play UT3, MW1 or TF2 on PC for free.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #1674
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

@crackajack

ODST is a much better game than Halo 3. Halo 3 has a "That was it?" feeling to it.

The only thing Halo 3 has going for it over ODST is more varied levels and a slightly longer campaign. ODST you are stuck within a city the whole time and is 6 hours long instead of 8 hours.

Halo games are solid, but not great.

I really like the music (own the soundtrack) and overall mood of ODST. Like all Halo games the level design was really bland.

Halo multiplayer is fun, but not as good as Call of Duty or Battlefield.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:31 AM   #1675
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Finished Patchwork Heroes on PSP... Very fun, very stylish game, and a hell of a great value for $10.

Thumbs UP!
Old 04-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #1676
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Civilization Revolution on the DS

Taking over the world never gets old. Plus the Civ-experience is pretty much intact, apart from the diplomacy options which are not really there. Navigation also works pretty neat with stylus or buttons, or a combination thereof. Only problem is that the scrolling can get a bit slow at times. And that the amount of icons on the small screen later in the game would justify the use of a microscope. But that doesn't hurt the overall experience much. I'd say my favourite DS game right now. At least until I get my hands on Prof. Layton's box of Pandora...
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #1677
farfus
pretty cool dude

Finished Dragon Age Awakenings, a very nice addition to the Dragon Age series. Its not too long, but definitely fun! Im actually just kicking into MW2 now because i had been playing MW so long i wanted a break for a while, but im getting into MW2 real quick!
farfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:47 AM   #1678
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Finished Colin McRae: Dirt 2 (PC)

Hard facts comparison for one play through
Dirt1 (100% completion, hard) / Dirt2 (all SP-achievements but only wild difficulty, i.e. 4th of 6)
driven distance and time
1526km 14h38 / 1613km 14h
average speed
104km/h / 114km/h
longest drift
55m / 105m
widest jump
71,5m / 88m
number of races
275 / 240

Difficulty was harder, though wild was rather easy. One step above would have been doable, but i liked/ needed the two rewinds wild offered and i didn't like the game so much to rerace too many tracks. Haven't tried hardest setting but maybe it was again on the (for me impossible) level of CMR 4.
Rally (driving against time) got harder, while racing directly in a group against opponents got easier. PC-Dirt1 did have some issues with framerate (only with some PCs). So more than one car did drop the fps and racing with others was therefore tougher than it was supposed to be, Dirt 2 run perfectly smooth and overtaking got a lot easier (except: see a bit below).
Some challenges were crap, because time to be beaten was extreme! easy- no challenge at all. They fucked up balancing the game. No increasing curve, overall ok difficulty with a lot of sudden easiness.
Ridiculous unrealistic fast acceleration with some cars, despite annoying "sabotaged" acceleration in group start (you aren't "allowed" to be number 6/8 or better before first curve...). I also missed the truck races from first release those were fun, because they drove really different, but Rally was a bit more emphasized than in Dirt1, though still no "real" colin game.
Braking often feels like just don't pushing gas has the same effect. Weird. Dirt 1 was formula 1 braking, just insane, but Dirt 2 is soapbox brakes for 2t cars.
Statistics says i drifted some km in sum but it did never feel like intended controllable drifting just a bit sliding around.
Weird car models were used e.g. Hummer or Pontiac Solstice. Those are no competitive "dirt cars" for real? Cars were stupidly rated with points instead of real kW and torque curves and those points didn't tell anything that felt true, neither realistic nor for the game.
At least tarmac wasn't this time my favorite surface in a Dirt?!? game....
Graphics were better, no DX11 cosmetics here though. HDR wasn't overdone this time and they added a bit of Ridge Racer visuals. Spots on some tracks that reflected cool on the car...
Also a bit of Motorstorm was added: more than one way possible to drive, with crossings sometimes. Hated that.
Soundtrack was great, but i would much more prefer good racing sounds. Motor sound is awful like in any other codemasters game (except Mustang and Jaguar E-Type from Race Driver 2). Also surface sounds is missing a lot. I just don't know on which surface i drive and whether i have grip or i slide by acoustics. (although cockpit sound is better). Sound reflection in narrow spaces is well done.
AI cheated in my opinion. If i drive really fast on the first place one car is always following me, while when i race on second place leading AI never leaves the field that much.
AI makes crashes sometimes, but that annoys me more than it give realism to the game because it too often happens in front of me and you can avoid crash only by luck or you can brake and let the leading cars sprint away.
The whole X-Games presentation was annoying. Especially extra loading times for the "menu".
Also Dirt 2 let's me race too often the same track again and again and again. It felt like 2-3 tracks per country, i.e. something like 20 tracks.
Even Dirt 1 was better, although it was less Rally in my opinion but it had Pikes Peak, a really fun track.

I like Richard Burns Rally more. Some videos from me
http://www.youtube.com/user/Revolooza
It has better physics (a bit jumpy... me on the roof ^^) but each drift is woohoooo-fun and tarmac or gravel really feel different which Dirt completely ignored.

note concerning gfwlive
MP is not possible for me because the PC-live-key is attached to another account.
DRM ftw!

Last edited by crackajack; 04-07-2010 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:37 PM   #1679
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Portal

[I know, I know... just never got around to finishing it]

Final level with GLaDOS made me want to bite the head off a kitten. It didn't flow like the rest of the game. Wandering thru service tunnels ad nauseum... Felt like I was doing little else but repeatedly looking for anywhere the cursor lit up to place a portal in most of the narrow spaces, instead of following a design. It got old.

Still an important game.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:59 AM   #1680
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Civilization IV - after spending way too much time on my DS lately I got Civ 4 for my PC for 5 bucks. The Spanish Empire was the first one to reach Alpha Centauri, after peaceful expansion that lead to the golden age. In a parallel universe the Greek pillaged their way to domination, which stopped short before a global fallout.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote